View Full Version : Is the FN SLP 922(r) compliant?

09-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Hello, I was looking at getting a M4, but dont like the magazine capacity and, well, the cost. The big problem is of course 922(r), to give it 7+1 is going to cost another small fortune on top of the small fortune the gun cost, on top of the small fortune to add stuff on, on top of the large fortune for training and ammo/range costs.

So, its a toss up between a 930 SPX and the FN SLP. the SPX is basicly impossible to find, and on top of that I do have some quality concerns with Mossberg, just too many threads on the internet about how they tend to have problems.

That leaves the FN SLP. I can get one for pretty cheap on gunbroker, but I am worried about 922(r) again. I cant seem to find a list of whats compliant anywhere (like the approved handgun list), and am not sure just how many parts are made in the USA. So, can anybody point me out? Ive quickly looked at FNs website but didnt really see much. Of course, what Im looking at is higher mag capacity plus piston grip, is that legal in CA? Thanks.

09-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Of course, what Im looking at is higher mag capacity plus piston grip, is that legal in CA? Thanks.

Ok sorry dude, but WTF is a piston grip and where can I get one?:p:eek:

09-02-2008, 11:48 AM
I believe 922r does not apply because the FN SLP is made in the USA.

09-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Ok sorry dude, but WTF is a piston grip and where can I get one?:p:eek:
http://www.jegs.com/p/Mr.+Gasket/744200/10002/-1 :D

09-02-2008, 12:10 PM
The older SLP, about 2 years, were imported and are not 922r compliant because the mag tube can hold more than 5 rounds. That is why the ATF stopped their importation and why they are now being assembled in South Carolina.

The imported SLP are here. The ATF knows about them because they let them into the US. Every gun has to be approved by them before being imported.

The answer is no some SLP are not 922r compliant and the ATF allowed them into the USA. Will the ATF admit to a mistake and convict you for owning one, I say, not a chance in Hell.

FN is coming out with a Pistol grip for the SLP but it doesn't look too swift. Kind of strange looking in my opinion.

09-02-2008, 12:26 PM
USA made FN SLP Tactical, 8+1 capacity

09-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Oops sorry. of course I meant pistol grip.

Ive read one post on the SLP Tactical, and that was to say it wouldnt be coming out until next year, if then, and I dont feel like waiting who knows how long to get one. The good news is, Im guessing that the add-ons I want should be available soon, if not now.

Ok, if Im going to buy one on Gunbroker, any way to find out if its made in USA? I may not worry much about the ATF but the CA DOJ may prove to be bothersom if I ever have to use it. Im supposing I could send the SS# to FN and hope to get a reply.

09-02-2008, 1:16 PM
Tactical model from FN is still not available but you can easily modify an 870 stock to fit the SLP:

No issues with 922(r) on the new models. It's a great shotgun BTW. You'll love it and Tanner's is selling them for a bargain!

09-02-2008, 3:02 PM
Nice SLP Sevans.

Ok, next stupid question, vertical foregrips on a auto shotgun, evil or not? Just looking at the SG part of the DOJ it doesnt seem to mention grips not directly under the reciever, though I may be wrong.

Tanner's is what I was looking at on Gunbroker, though they seem to have gone up $50 since last night :( GD having to find a FFL before I made the purchase is going to cost me another half bill.

09-02-2008, 3:12 PM
Ok, I feel better. Seems like Tanners sold a SLP this morning at $679 and raised the prices on the rest to $699, still the best price Ive seen for one. $20 increase I can deal with and not feel too bad.

Paratus et Vigilans
09-02-2008, 4:10 PM
Pistol grips or forward vertical grips on semi-auto shotguns like the FNH SLP make them an AW under PC 12276(6)(B) if you put a telestock on it too. Without the telestock, a PG should be okay, and even a forward vertical grip too, but you may want to save the tacticool stuff for the pump actions to avoid unnecessary law enforcement attention. YMMV.

BTW, my FNH SLP MkI does just fine without either PG or forward grip. FNH puts out a nice shotgun.

09-02-2008, 8:00 PM
Forward vert grip isnt something that I must have or anything, but I have fired a M4 with and one without it, and I liked firing rapid shots off with a vert grip much more than without. Of course, my grand total expierence is 4 shots of both so...

I love CA lawmakers. This whole deal of trying to figure out what is legal and illegal...it just makes no sense. I mean, telescoping stocks are like the end-all-most-evil-thing-in-the-world according to our lawmakers. For having the wrong combination of tacticool stuff on my $1k+ shotgun (something Im not going to go use while knocking over a 7/11) I could face felony charges and spend god knows how long in jail, while within 10 miles of where I live there are something like 1210 known sex offenders, and probably a least two dozen schools with all the children that go along with them. Nice. I mean, you let me buy a shotgun, one of the most devastating weapons known to man, but not if it has a pistol grip? Not if it has a certain number of parts made outside the USA and can hold more than 5 rounds? Who makes this **** up? I had my buddy at work laughing his *** off trying to explain some of the laws.

/rant off

09-05-2008, 4:47 AM
The pistol grip on a combat shotgun is not as necessary as some might think. While it does make it a little easier to open doors, it also can make it a little more awkward. As well, firing from the hip (should you ever have reason to do so) is much HARDER with a pistol grip, contrary to what lawmakers think.

I personally prefer the benelli m1 much over the FNs. the FNs are heavy, bulky, and require a lot of messing with for proper function and maintenance.

09-05-2008, 1:53 PM
FWIW I've never had to mess with my SLP to get it to run. I had a couple of FTE in the first 30-40 rounds but it's been nearly perfect ever since. It even runs the lighter stuff flawlessly.

For ~$700 it's a pretty tough gun to beat.