PDA

View Full Version : Slug Gun "Slammer Modified" Thanks to Ajax22

Tho_Sun
09-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Hey guys,

So I was given some modified shot gun shells by a fellow calgunner and thought to give them a try. What they are: 12gauge bird shot with two slices horizontaly in the middle of the shell (Shot shell with base on table). You slice the shell so that only two pillars are left. Would love to post pictures but I can't seem to get into my photo bucket. Already have two accounts, both I forgot the passwords. So the idea is to have the tip of the shot shell break off upon ignition and when it hits a target, explode forward releasing all the Pellets. So I took these to the range and tried them out. First on paper, they are accurate and made thumb size holes. Next on bowling pin, they hit the pin but when pellets released, they sprayed the hillside. Last was on pumpkin... simply put, it went boom. Nice hole in front, nothing in back. Yeah, not the best write up but I hope it makes sense. :D After that day, I don't think I'll be shooting regular shot anymore.

aplinker
09-02-2008, 11:42 AM
They're fun :)

Mississippi
09-02-2008, 12:50 PM
They're fun :)

UNclaplinker knows about shotguns too! I love this guy.. :):)

aplinker
09-02-2008, 1:02 PM
UNclaplinker knows about shotguns too! I love this guy.. :):)

:confused:

Are you stalking me now?

I've been cutting my own shotshells ever since AJAX showed me his nice "slugs" technique.

The best part is the impact size - especially at Angeles on the pistol line's metal plates - where they don't allow real slugs. Since you're just using bird shot....... cheap and easy. the most dramatic is anything that actually reacts to impact - like wood, fruit, etc. Of course, they'd react well with buckshot or slugs, too... but birdshot can be purchased for $5/25, while cheap buckshot is, at best 50cents a pop.

And yes, I know about shotguns... I've been shooting trap since I was 9.

By the way, I called you out to defend carbines... but I guess you were just running your mouth since it's been :gene:

BlackReef
09-02-2008, 1:19 PM
Someone explain this.....so basically the front half of the shell exits the barrel with the birdshot inside of it? i confused

aplinker
09-02-2008, 1:28 PM
Someone explain this.....so basically the front half of the shell exits the barrel with the birdshot inside of it? i confused

Yes, exactly...

BlackReef
09-02-2008, 1:29 PM
Wow, thats pretty cool. Essentially creating a slug that explodes impact.

hhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

Mississippi
09-02-2008, 1:44 PM
:confused:

Are you stalking me now?

I've been cutting my own shotshells ever since AJAX showed me his nice "slugs" technique.

The best part is the impact size - especially at Angeles on the pistol line's metal plates - where they don't allow real slugs. Since you're just using bird shot.......

And yes, I know about shotguns... I've been shooting trap since I was 9.

By the way, I called you out to defend carbines... but I guess you were just running your mouth since it's been :gene:

Yes I'm stalking you..:43:

The carbine question would have highjacked the thread..( kinda like we have in this one).

I have limited use with mid length rifles. But the few I have been around had feeding issues. I also find the thousands upon thousands of rifle and or carbine ARs used in the real world by the military include few mid lenght ones. But hey what would they know...

The second reason I (me) dont like them is personal. I think they are uh forgive me. I think they are butt ugly. IMO only. :eek:

But on the for reals I'm sure their great rifles.

But if I was stalking you you would never even know I was there. ;)

xrMike
09-02-2008, 1:50 PM
I think I need to see a picture.

If you cut slots out from the sides of the shell, what's to keep the shot from falling out all over the place?

aplinker
09-02-2008, 1:57 PM
I think I need to see a picture.

If you cut slots out from the sides of the shell, what's to keep the shot from falling out all over the place?

Not slots... you simply slice the plastic. The width of the "slot" is only as wide as the knife. Unless you're using an axe it won't be wide enough for shot to come out. In addition, you're not cutting into the shot...

You're simply cutting the tube, in the area of the wadding, all the way around, save a couple tabs to keep it from falling off.

jumbopanda
09-02-2008, 2:00 PM
Think of it as cutting a dotted line around the shell, but only leaving 3-4 connecting points.

trinydex
09-02-2008, 3:07 PM
Not slots... you simply slice the plastic. The width of the "slot" is only as wide as the knife. Unless you're using an axe it won't be wide enough for shot to come out. In addition, you're not cutting into the shot...

You're simply cutting the tube, in the area of the wadding, all the way around, save a couple tabs to keep it from falling off.

does this ever become problematic in the loading phase? like your shell falls apart before it makes it into the chamber.

aplinker
09-02-2008, 3:09 PM
does this ever become problematic in the loading phase? like your shell falls apart before it makes it into the chamber.

it hasn't been for me - you can adjust how much material remains to make sure it doesn't break. The plastic of shotgun loads is very tough... this isn't something I would do for any gun I wanted to count on. it's just a fun trick.

5150Marcelo
09-02-2008, 3:17 PM
Hey guys,

So I was given some modified shot gun shells by a fellow calgunner and thought to give them a try. What they are: 12gauge bird shot with two slices horizontaly in the middle of the shell (Shot shell with base on table). You slice the shell so that only two pillars are left. Would love to post pictures but I can't seem to get into my photo bucket. Already have two accounts, both I forgot the passwords. So the idea is to have the tip of the shot shell break off upon ignition and when it hits a target, explode forward releasing all the Pellets. So I took these to the range and tried them out. First on paper, they are accurate and made thumb size holes. Next on bowling pin, they hit the pin but when pellets released, they sprayed the hillside. Last was on pumpkin... simply put, it went boom. Nice hole in front, nothing in back. Yeah, not the best write up but I hope it makes sense. :D After that day, I don't think I'll be shooting regular shot anymore.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where are they selling pumpkins so early!

:D:p

BP88
09-02-2008, 3:45 PM
Will someone post a picture?

AJAX22
09-02-2008, 5:35 PM
Ok, first off, I call them 'Slammer modified'

its a cool name so use it... :p

This is best done with a razor blade knife not a standard pocket knife because the thin blade and sharp edge makes the cut much more controllable.

The number of slotts cut is ideal when left at 3 (the ones THO had were an early batch I whipped up... I refined the meathod a bit later on)

only a tiney bit of material needs to be left uncut at each of the three points where the cut joins and it is rather forgiving on this. if you leave too much connected, it will just fire as a regular shot shell (but you should check the bore to make sure nothing lodged in it).. oh and make sure its unloaded when you check that ok?

I'll whip up some diagrams right now as to what we're talking about.

Its cheap, fun, and works in all cylinder bore and imp choked guns that I've tried it in... YMMV but just be carefull untill you know how your gun will handle it.

AJAX22
09-02-2008, 6:09 PM
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/Ratduster77/slammermodified.jpg

Please forgive the horrible horrible MS paintness

The neat thing about this is that in balistic mediums (i.e. meat, fruit, soft wood, etc) this hits with very decent amount of force, and then procedes to dump its contents inside the object much like a glasser.

I've them shot them at a number of propane tanks and they penetrate with a standard 12 gauge sized hole, but have a fist sized exit on the back side which is pealed away in a single unit, not punched out like a standard slug exit hole.

very interesting stuff.

AJAX22
09-02-2008, 7:21 PM
Did anyone take any pics of what they did to that 4x4 at area 52?

I don't have any ammo (at all) here in NYC or I'd do one and post pics of what it is supposed to look like.

workinwifdakids
09-02-2008, 7:34 PM
So, can anyone tell me more clearly what the benefit of this is?

AJAX22
09-02-2008, 7:39 PM
instead of having the shot spread out (and loose velocity rappidly because of increased air resistance) the front half of the shell contains all the loose shot, effectivly keeping it as a low velocity slug.

when it hits a target, all the energy is transfered to a 3/4 inch circle instead of a large pattern.

once it hits something however, the shot is freed from the sabot (front part of the shell) and expands rappidly into the soft material. this does some really interesting things to stuff.

But the main benifit is that you get to have some of the fun you have with slugs, but you can do it for birdshot prices.

which means you'll actually take your shotgun out and shoot stuff with it without breaking the bank.

tankerman
09-02-2008, 8:22 PM
How much penetration?

What does the pattern look like?

Would a few verticle (scoring/perforations) penetrations in the forward half assist in delivery/dispersion of the payload?

I would put together a better disclaimer than just "be careful". You know some knuckle-head is going to Ginsu the hell out of some shotshells and shove them into his autoloader.

Would hate to see your name mentioned if one goes kaboom in someones face.

hybridatsun350
09-02-2008, 9:14 PM
I have to try this now...:43:

Infidel
09-02-2008, 9:51 PM
Yeah this is definitely in order for the next panoche trip!!!

AJAX22
09-03-2008, 5:20 AM
Penetration depends on medium, I've never seen it fired at balistic gel.

It seems to me that it penetrates ok, but the pelets really only penetrate in one medium, it looses energy quickly if you have to penetrate plastic/watter/plastic etc.

It doesn't pattern really, it just puts 3/4 inch holes in stuff. Its easy to hit a 2x4 with it at around 25 yards, and propane tanks at around 50... but I haven't really tried it out on paper.

Range drops off prety quickly but you can add some holdover and reach out a bit.

I wouldn't modify the forward half if it were me (seems to work great without added scoring) It would be possible that scoring the forward half could wind up in a situation where you have a piece of the shell lodged in the barrel unknowingly (not a danger in itself, but the second shot could be a doozy)

So a better disclaimer eh?

Guns can be dangerous things, modification of factory ammo is done at your own risk. If you do a crummy job of it, well don't come crying to me.

Don't try to stuff this through a full choke or modified choke gun... it MIGHT work, or it MIGHT lodge in the barrel and ruin your day.

wear safety gear and don't come whining to me if it goes horribly horribly wrong, be responsible for your actions, I assume NO liability for any of this.

How much penetration?

What does the pattern look like?

Would a few verticle (scoring/perforations) penetrations in the forward half assist in delivery/dispersion of the payload?

I would put together a better disclaimer than just "be careful". You know some knuckle-head is going to Ginsu the hell out of some shotshells and shove them into his autoloader.

Would hate to see your name mentioned if one goes kaboom in someones face.

Spiggy
09-03-2008, 6:48 AM
not sure about penetration, but it'll blow up any hollow fruit quite well.

awesome against cactus, makes people ask where'd you get the crazy slugs from.

AJAX22
09-03-2008, 4:52 PM
Anyone have pics of a modified shell yet?

Tho_Sun
09-03-2008, 8:12 PM
I hold no reliability for others actions. This post was just to inform other of my jackarse actions! Do not try this at home. Hows that?:D

TKM
09-03-2008, 8:30 PM
You heard it here first.

Tho_Sun is not reliable.

till44
09-04-2008, 1:24 AM
These are also called "Ghetto Slugs", and very fun to shoot.

Spiggy
09-04-2008, 1:29 AM
Anyone have pics of a modified shell yet?
yea, I forgot to post it

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/Spiggys_pics/IMG_0012.jpg
Left is a modified shell, it is cut in quarters with a T-slot on them to make it rip easier

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/Spiggys_pics/IMG_0048.jpg

Note: I, or anyone else is not responsible for your actions. This is not a "how to"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/Spiggys_pics/birdslug.png
cut below the shotcup, around the wad

hitman_13
09-04-2008, 1:38 AM
:useless:

Spiggy
09-04-2008, 12:04 PM
pics are up

AJAX22
10-30-2008, 2:17 PM
Any range reports yet?

veterosa
10-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Can this be used with the S12? This sounds like fun.

NSR500
10-30-2008, 11:22 PM
I'd run these in my M1S90, but I don't know if I'd run these in my Saiga-12. My reason is because the Saiga-12 seems a bit rough on the ammo. I'd hate for it to tear the round whilst transitioning the round from the mag into the chamber.

Hmmm.....

Then again... Maybe I'll try it an report back, but I'm in CA right now looking for work. I don't think I'll be back in TX until December and that's where the Saiga is. I even missed the Big Show at Reliant last week... Sucks being laid off!

AJAX22
10-31-2008, 5:31 AM
These won't run a saiga12, they have ejection issues and can jam (we tried it at area 52 with my s12)

they will work in a pump, and might work in a tube fed auto.

AJAX22
09-25-2009, 4:16 AM
Bump...... for the people who don't know

yoteassasin
09-25-2009, 4:35 AM
ladies... ladies.... ladies... sure you know that us duck huntesr have been doing this for decades to kill yotes while in the blind and how in the world could you call it by any other name than the OKIE LOAD! :no:

SCMA-1
09-25-2009, 6:48 AM
Someone showed me this 30 years ago; it's called "shotshell ringing" or "ring cut shotshell". I would only do this with a cylinder bore barrel; remember that the OD of a shotshell is quite a bit larger then the bore diameter of your shotgun. Although the plastic encased shot will compress down a bit when forced down the barrel, it may have adverse effects if encountering too much choke at the end of the barrel. Works great when done properly, BTW.;)

SCMA-1

ponderosa
09-25-2009, 8:03 AM
verrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyy interesting. will have to try a few. thx for the bump ajax

mds2004
09-25-2009, 8:29 AM
Been doing this for years. Always fun. Puts 1 huge hole through an old shower tub, and other various sorts of objects :)

Hunter4life1990
09-25-2009, 9:32 AM
my gandpa said theyve been doin this forever,they started with paper shells tho

PRKArms
09-25-2009, 9:38 AM
Lots of old timer tricks get taken for granted and just don't get passed along....

Remember the many of the new generation of gun owners grew up without being taught this stuff by their fathers/grandfathers.

If you don't tell the next generation, things get forgotten.

Fate
09-25-2009, 9:47 AM
Lots of old timer tricks get taken for granted and just don't get passed along....

Remember the many of the new generation of gun owners grew up without being taught this stuff by their fathers/grandfathers.

If you don't tell the next generation, things get forgotten.

Very true. Someone should start an "old timer tricks and tips" post to be stickied.

I'm so old, I can't remember **** anymore. :D

gn3hz3ku1*
09-25-2009, 10:34 AM
what are you guys cutting it with?

mds2004
09-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Ive always used a pocketknife or razor blade.

gun toting monkeyboy
09-25-2009, 11:34 AM
As many of the others have said, this is WAY old school. They used to do this during the depression when they didn't have money to buy slugs. Although most of the old pictures of this that I have seen have the cuts made right above the brass, not in the middle of the shell. As for penetration, my guess would be that they don't penatrate quite as well as a regular slug. I saw an autopsy photo in college of a guy who had been hit in the back of the head with one. It went in and made a big hole, but it didn't come out the front. The pellets had stayed inside of the plastic case, as they pulled the whole thing out more or less intact. It looked a bit crumpled, but that is probably to be expected. I don't recall the range being mentioned, but it couldn't have been that close, as there were no signs of a contact or close contact shot on the body.

-Mb

evollep3
09-25-2009, 11:44 AM
interesting i need to try this out now

hellraiser
09-25-2009, 11:57 AM
this is great thanks guys, gonna give it a try!

mtsul
09-25-2009, 1:11 PM
Tag this seems like i have to try it

Bug Splat
09-25-2009, 1:34 PM
:drool5: You guys just placed a big shiny red button in front of me and left the room. I so want to try this now. I hate plunking with bird shot because they are just so damn boring but 00 and slugs cost too much. This is just the thing that could bring my 870 out more.

Thanks

nrakid88
09-25-2009, 2:43 PM
Just be carefull making these. i used to use a exacto knife... untill it slipped and ended up in my thumb. Now I use my dremel.

AJAX22
09-25-2009, 2:47 PM
Just be carefull making these. i used to use a exacto knife... untill it slipped and ended up in my thumb. Now I use my dremel.

Cut away from yourself, NOT towards yourself and you won't have an issue.

I should take a corner from your totin chip card for that one...

Sunshine
09-25-2009, 2:58 PM
^ Not as bad as when I told my friend similar advice while he was cutting up some cardboard he had straddled between his legs. :rolleyes:

Not 5 minutes later, he'd slipped and stuck a boxcutter straight into his calf :oops:

mds2004
09-25-2009, 3:13 PM
Cut away from yourself, NOT towards yourself and you won't have an issue.

I should take a corner from your totin chip card for that one...

Ha, I was just thinking this. The good ol' days.

nrakid88
09-25-2009, 3:19 PM
totin chip card?

CalNRA
09-25-2009, 3:21 PM
muchas gracias para la informacion senor.

Tengo que experimentar con el "ghetto slug".

gun toting monkeyboy
09-25-2009, 3:22 PM
No idea. For a second there I thought it said Totin Chimp card, and I was about to get excited...

mds2004
09-25-2009, 3:42 PM
totin chip card?

he Totin Chip is both an award and contract in Boy Scouts of America that shows Scouts understand and agree to certain principles of using different tools with blades. With this, a Scout has the right to carry and use woods tools. A Scout must demonstrate to his Scout leader, or someone designated by his leader, that he understands his responsibility.
The basic principle for blade-use in the Boy Scouts is to use blades only for constructive purposes.
Basic safety rules and requirements for this recognition are:
Read and understand woods tools use and safety rules from the Boy Scout Handbook.
Demonstrate proper handling, care, and use of the pocket knife, ax, and saw.
When not using a blade keep it covered (sheaths, folding knives, etc).
Use only sharp clean blades, as they are less likely to slip.
When carrying blades, keep them sheathed and keep ax and saw blades at your side with the blade perpendicular to your body.
When passing a blade it must be closed or sheathed. Before you let go the other person acknowledges that they are holding the blade by saying 'thank you'.
Check to make sure no one is in your blood circle before you use a blade (i.e. No one within your maximum reach with the blade).
When using a knife cut away from yourself, preferably while sitting at a table.
When using an ax, saw, or hatchet wear safety glasses and ensure that when you cut through the object you will encounter something hard.
Respect property. Only cut dead trees and with good reason. Make sure you have permission before cutting any trees, living or dead.
Subscribe to the Outdoor Code.
A scout is given a Totin' Chip card when he meets the requirements. If a scout is caught breaking one of the rules, one or more corners might be cut off of his card. A Scout can lose "Totin' Rights" if all of the corners have been cut off or if he commits a severe violation of the rules. If a scout loses his "Totin' Rights" he may get it back by taking the lesson again.

Good ol boy scout days

JohnBrian
09-25-2009, 3:59 PM
Sounds like a cool idea! I'll try it after I cut the barrel on my old shotgun down to 18" thereby elimanating the modified choke plus making it more handy for a defensive weapon.

Speaking of a "defensive weapon", I would not use this modification on a shell for defensive purposes. Might be a bit hard to explain during a Coroner's inquest or a civil/criminal trial.

asheron2
09-25-2009, 4:10 PM
neato, gonna definately have to try next time im at the range

nrakid88
09-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Oh wow, cant believe I have had a totin chip card lol i remember my boyscout knife... not the card though lol crappy memory

badfish71
09-26-2009, 10:24 AM
does anyone know if there are any issues with doing this mod to shells W/ "low" brass?

AJAX22
09-26-2009, 10:36 AM
does anyone know if there are any issues with doing this mod to shells W/ "low" brass?

Low brass works perfectly (and they're cheap :D)

badfish71
09-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Sweet..Thanks

AJAX22
09-26-2009, 6:53 PM
Sweet..Thanks

Post pics when you get it to the range.

Flying Bones
09-29-2009, 5:57 PM
I must have been asleep on this one...sounds like a blast!

cbn620
09-29-2009, 7:32 PM
Heard of it, but never got around to trying it. How do you get them to eject?

BroncoBob
09-29-2009, 8:33 PM
Oh boy got to try this in a couple of weeks when I go to a cannon shoot down in Colinga. Bringing one of my cheap Interstate shotguns.

mds2004
09-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Heard of it, but never got around to trying it. How do you get them to eject?

Just pump it back and it will eject the bottom half. What the cut does instead of opening up the case the entire top half will fly out as a slug. I always loaded the pump shotgun as a single shot as it has just been for messing around.

B Strong
09-30-2009, 5:33 AM
We used to call this "ringing" a shotshell.

Like the FM's say "This technique has been tested, and it has been found to work."

Black Majik
09-30-2009, 8:10 AM
This sounds pretty cool, I'll be the first.

TTIWWOV!

09-30-2009, 8:36 AM
These won't run a saiga12, they have ejection issues and can jam (we tried it at area 52 with my s12)

I guess we can use them as "Low recoil slug" with manual feeding when slugs are not available. :D

Nice trick !!!

WeekendWarrior
09-30-2009, 9:58 AM
WWRTW

AJAX22
09-30-2009, 10:02 AM
I've personally run these through an 870 and it worked great, fed through the magtube and everything.

SVT_Fox
09-30-2009, 10:33 AM
i need to see pics!

freonr22
09-30-2009, 11:31 AM
tag

AJAX22
11-09-2009, 7:22 PM
Any range reports yet?

AJAX22
09-27-2010, 11:12 AM
And bump for the noobs...

AJAX22
12-09-2010, 8:45 AM
And another bump for noobs.

AJAX22
12-09-2010, 8:48 AM
x6KQNQA83fU

a video finally turned up

jonni
12-09-2010, 9:05 AM
tagged

The Sauce
12-09-2010, 9:09 AM
Doin' it this weekend!

$P-Ritch$
12-09-2010, 9:29 AM
That's a nice clean one inch hole, and what a good use for used textbooks.:)

Might have to try this with my philosophy book that the bookstore wouldn't buy back.

chumrunner
12-09-2010, 9:32 AM
Thanks for sharing – I’ll give it a shot.
I just made one in about 5 seconds with the hull cutter that I use to reclaim the components of any less than acceptable loads. I only left two connection points (not three) about 1/8” long. Do you see that as an issue?

AJAX22
12-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Two connections makes them more prone to breaking in the mag tube of pump guns, and an eighth of an inch may be a little thick.

Still, you'll find out really quick when you shoot it. Then adjust your technique accordingly.

straykiller
12-09-2010, 12:24 PM
going to try this

AJAX22
04-14-2011, 7:31 PM
k3M46XVfVOU

nifty how to video