PDA

View Full Version : Stag Arms AR Upper

burair
09-01-2008, 9:43 PM
I recently finished my AR build. Went to the range and just shot a few rounds for fun. Tried to zero it in but really couldn't. I'm just curious as to how to adjust the flip up sight on the stag arms upper. there's a left-right adjustment knob, but no vertical adjustment on the rear sight. So does that mean I have to do it on the front tip? I didn't want to mess with it too much since they're supposedly zeroed in from the factory.

69Mach1
09-01-2008, 9:48 PM
edit: adjust the front sight post.

BP88
09-01-2008, 9:51 PM
A1 upper? He said flip-up sight so I'm assuming he has the MI flip-up ironsight. There is no elevation knob on those so you have to adjust the front sight post. If you don't have the tool to do it, you can just use a small allen key or punch to push the detent in.

NuGunner
09-01-2008, 10:58 PM
hmm mine was zeroed in when I got it

BP88
09-01-2008, 11:34 PM
hmm mine was zeroed in when I got it

Everyone has a different cheek-weld with their rifle so every zero is going to be a little different.

NuGunner
09-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Everyone has a different cheek-weld with their rifle so every zero is going to be a little different.

ah that's right, the infamous sight relief, very wise you are with this one

BP88
09-02-2008, 12:22 AM
ah that's right, the infamous sight relief, very wise you are with this one

Army taught me that one. :chris:

burair
09-02-2008, 12:25 AM
i'm not familiar with sight relief?

Maybe I should just take it out again on a less windy day to verify the zero

domokun
09-02-2008, 12:55 AM
I'm assuming you have a 2HT or 2HT-L with the ARMS #40LP flip up backup iron sight (BUIS). Your BUIS only has a windage adjustment knob for left and right and no elevation adjustment. While sighting in your rifle using a bench at the range, you can adjust the front sight post to raise or lower your point of impact for your zero'd position.

After you have the rifle zeroed to your liking, you will have to manually compensate for the elevation by aiming higher or lower as needed. There's only one or two BUIS units out there right now that have a windage and elevation adjustment on them that I know of. Short of those BUIS units, the only other sight that has the elevation and windage adjustment knobs is the detachable carry handle.

P.S. I own a 2HT-L upper.

NiteQwill
09-02-2008, 8:04 AM
i'm not familiar with sight relief?

Maybe I should just take it out again on a less windy day to verify the zero

If zeroing at 50 yds, wind will have zero, if any, chance of affecting your zero.

I remember hurricane winds at Ft. Benning on the zero range, we were out there all day zeroing rifles. My zero I obtained a few days before still held true on the clear and sunny day for qualification.

Paratus et Vigilans
09-02-2008, 8:21 AM
Stag usually ships their uppers with a copy of the USGI manual on the M16A2 and M16A4 that contains the directions on how to zero the rifle. Because your rear sight is a flip up and has no elevation adjustment (just the difference between the small aperature and the large aperature, which are not centered the same), use the directions in the booklet to adjust your front sight post to get your elevation zero. The improved battlesight zero (IBZ) is not covered in the book. The USGI manual uses the 25 yard/300 yard crossover points for the 55gr FMJ round to get a zero at those two distances. The IBZ method that most seem to use now (that's what I use) says that you should use the small aperature on your rear sight only, and adjust the front sight post so that your point of impact (POI) on the target is about 1.25" below your point of aim (POA) at 25 yards with a 55gr FMJ round. This should put your cross-over points with a 55gr FMJ round from a 16" barrel at dead on zero at 50 yards and again at 200 yards. To raise your POI, you have to lower the front sight post (rotate it clockwise) and to lower the POI you have to raise the front sight post (rotate it counter clockwise).

You may find that your front sight block is NOT marked "F" for use with a flattop receiver, in which case you may need to buy a taller front sight post to be able to get zeroed without cranking the thing so far out of the FSB that it looks weird and feels loose.

Good luck!

cleanguy46
09-02-2008, 8:53 AM
Very good info! I recently purchased a Troy folding battle sight when I added optics with a LaRue SPR-1.5 mount to my Stag 4H. I now have to get some range time in this coming weekend and zero the rear sight for windage and front post for elevation then dial in the scope.