PDA

View Full Version : Why does my 1300 only hold 6+1

getafterit
09-01-2008, 8:15 PM
I have a Win. 1300 Defender. When I bought it I was told it held 7+1. I discovered that it only holds 6 in the tube plus 1 in the chamber. Then since joining here I have read numerous posts stating that they are a 7+1 shotgun.
What gives? I pulled mine apart to see if there is any kind of plug in it but I didnt see anything out fo the ordinary.
Can someone help me figure this out...please.
Thanks. :confused:
ps. this has the 18" barrel and was purchased about 9 years ago.

virulosity
09-01-2008, 8:28 PM
what size shells are you using? It may only fit 7 2.5" shells.

WokMaster1
09-01-2008, 8:30 PM
what size shot shell? If you're using 3", it'll fit 6 but try 2 3/4" shells.

bohoki
09-01-2008, 8:34 PM
yup try some low base

here is some comparasons

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/bohoki/DCP_6547.jpg
wolf buck roll crimp
fiocchi high base star crimp
aguila minishells roll crimp
s&b buck roll crimp

the length of the shell is measured when fired roll crimp gives more internal capacity
which allows s&b buck to have 12 pellets as opposed to a star crimps 9

getafterit
09-02-2008, 6:29 AM
I am using 2-3/4" PMC low recoil loads. When I try an d the 7th shell it needs about another 1/2" for the last shell to fit.
I wonder if the PMC shells are "out of spec."

-hanko
09-02-2008, 7:19 AM
I am using 2-3/4" PMC low recoil loads. When I try an d the 7th shell it needs about another 1/2" for the last shell to fit.
I wonder if the PMC shells are "out of spec."
If they're 2-3/4" long, they're good to go.

-hanko

E. Fudd
09-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Not all 2-3/4" shells are created equal... :D

I've noticed some manufacturers using a 'roll' type crimp with a plastic cap, instead of the traditional crimp (mouth of hull folded in from all sides) and are sometimes something like 1/8" longer, resulting in shorting you a round after 6 shells are loaded.

I believe the PMC 00 buck might be one of those, unless I'm thinking about Fiocchi buck... clear plastic round cap holding in buckshot....

Measured your shells to check the length or compare with another brand.

getafterit
09-02-2008, 5:24 PM

I've noticed some manufacturers using a 'roll' type crimp with a plastic cap, instead of the traditional crimp (mouth of hull folded in from all sides) and are sometimes something like 1/8" longer, resulting in shorting you a round after 6 shells are loaded.

I believe the PMC 00 buck might be one of those, unless I'm thinking about Fiocchi buck... clear plastic round cap holding in buckshot....

The PMC's that I am using have the plastic cap at the end. I will load some Federal and see if that makes a difference. The Federals use the traditional crimp.
Im on my way to my safe to check it out.

Moonclip
09-02-2008, 5:49 PM

S&B 12ga buckshot 2 3/4" runs a bit long like you mention, even causing extraction diffculties in some of my 2 3/4" chambered shotguns.

getafterit
09-02-2008, 7:59 PM
Sorry it took sooo long to get back. You know how it is when you open the safe, gotta fondle everything.
Back on point. The Federals are shorter than the roll crimped PMC's
7+1. Thats what I like to see.
Thanks for all the help with this. Really sucks gettin shorted One round!

Crusader
09-02-2008, 8:18 PM
If you don't like it, sell it to me.

getafterit
09-02-2008, 8:33 PM
If you don't like it, sell it to me.

Okay, if you need it more than me Ill sell it to ya forrrr lets say $1200?

Crusader
09-02-2008, 8:43 PM
Haha, sounds good. I'll have my people contact your people.

MAX100
09-02-2008, 10:19 PM
With a 18" bbl it is tight for tube space for fitting 7 rounds in the tube. If a shell is the least bit longer it adds up over 6 and 7 rounds.

It could also be the follower you are using. For shotguns that are tight For tube space you should be using a hollow open end short follower. They will give you the most space in the tube. Others take away space.

Standard 2 3/4" shells are 2.25" before they are fired and open up to 2 3/4"

Like others have said roll crimped shells are longer and will cost you a round

All 2 3/4" shells open up to 2 3/4" when fired.

GC