PDA

View Full Version : Spikes Dedicated .22

bmaksdad
09-01-2008, 5:46 PM
I was originally just going to buy a .22 upper from Spikes, then I decided to get one of their lowers to have a complete .22 AR. The upper came in the mail on Friday and I took it out on Saturday. I brought the targets home and was going to take pictures and post them but my 2 year old tore them up. I am very impressed after the first outing. I shot about 150 rounds and had only one malfunction (stovepipe). I used the Federal Bulk Pack from WalMart that Spikes recommends. After I got the Holosight dialed in I was keeping my shots in a quarter sized group at 25 yards (bench rest). I really like this rifle and the fact that I can shoot 500 rounds for about $15. If anyone in the Sacramento area is thinking about getting one and wants to shoot it first send me a pm. I am thinking about heading out to Cordova Shooting Center this weekend and fellow Calgunners are welcome to try it out.

Specs:
Spikes lower marked .22 Cal
Magpul Miad Grip
Magpul CTR Stock

Spikes 16 inch upper
YHM Specter light weight rail
Spikes fake can
Bushnell Holosight
Midwest Industries front and rear sights

pdq_wizzard
09-01-2008, 5:56 PM
I was originally just going to buy a .22 upper from Spikes, then I decided to get one of their lowers to have a complete .22 AR. The upper came in the mail on Friday and I took it out on Saturday. I brought the targets home and was going to take pictures and post them but my 2 year old tore them up. I am very impressed after the first outing. I shot about 150 rounds and had only one malfunction (stovepipe). I used the Federal Bulk Pack from WalMart that Spikes recommends. After I got the Holosight dialed in I was keeping my shots in a quarter sized group at 25 yards (bench rest). I really like this rifle and the fact that I can shoot 500 rounds for about $15. If anyone in the Sacramento area is thinking about getting one and wants to shoot it first send me a pm. I am thinking about heading out to Cordova Shooting Center this weekend and fellow Calgunners are welcome to try it out.

Specs:
Spikes lower marked .22 Cal
Magpul Miad Grip
Magpul CTR Stock

Spikes 16 inch upper
YHM Specter light weight rail
Spikes fake can
Bushnell Holosight
Midwest Industries front and rear sights

if your going to RC this weekend PM me I should have my upper tomorrow and would love to go shoot it .....

BroncoBob
09-01-2008, 6:12 PM
I have had mine for a couple months now. It is a kick and a cheap way to have fun.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/MVC-038F-1.jpg

bigdave1121
09-01-2008, 6:30 PM
Damn I'm jealous of you guys. Those are 2 sweet looking 22 ARs! :cool2:

RP1911
09-01-2008, 6:41 PM
Your timing is impeccable.

I finished putting a Spikes .22 LR lower together this afternoon. Waiting for the upper to show up so that I can complete it.

Blacktail 8541
09-01-2008, 6:44 PM
Hard to go wrong with a Spikes dedicated 22.

Gregchico
09-01-2008, 8:44 PM
Now you have to do is wait for the BDM magazine loaders to drop under $100. My thumbs start getting tired long before my gun starts jamming...

X-NewYawker
09-01-2008, 9:05 PM
What does a complete Spikes dedicated 22 rifle cost? Is it NOT convertible into a 223 so you can evil feature it up?

ghost
09-01-2008, 9:12 PM
What does a complete Spikes dedicated 22 rifle cost? Is it NOT convertible into a 223 so you can evil feature it up?

you can get one from lanworld for about $900.00
since its a .22 rimfire you can have all the evil features on it as longs as its at least 26" oal and use 10rd mags.

Vinz
09-01-2008, 9:14 PM
http://spikestactical.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=43&products_id=59

you could probably piece one together for cheaper...$700 ish.

vinz

RP1911
09-01-2008, 9:36 PM
More like $1000 putting it together. I am just going through this.

1 Lower with tax and dros $200.00
1 Lower parts kit and tax $70.00
1 buttstock, spring buffer, buffer tube $50.00
1 Spikes upper $550.00
1 A2 style detachable handle $145.00

Total: $1,015.00 and I did the LPK, buttstock assembly.

The Cable Guy
09-01-2008, 9:43 PM
Full auto allowed in CA? I doubt it, but it has it as an option, so I'm curios.

BamBam-31
09-01-2008, 9:43 PM
Ouch. Still debating this vs. a 9mm build. Neither are gonna be easy on the ol' wallet....:(

Damn this EBR disease! :p

RP1911
09-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Ouch. Still debating this vs. a 9mm build. Neither are gonna be easy on the ol' wallet....:(

I know. The advantage of putting it together is you can do it over time and the pain is gradual.

spex
09-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Hey bmaksdad, that is exactly what I wanted to build! Man, that looks sweet.
Just curious what was your cost to build? How was the accuracy. Thanks for sharing.

The Cable Guy
09-01-2008, 11:29 PM
funny, I was trying to decide whether to getn an AR, or a .22 rifle. Problem solved.

How does one in CA go about getting one of these?

GlockGuy
09-02-2008, 12:38 AM
Here's mine. Absolutely love it! Very accurate. I just mounted the scope and have to sight it in this weekend. :D

Thanks to TenPercentFirearms and JK Supply...

http://www.halsinger.com/gunstuff/HalSpikes22.jpg

be1498
09-02-2008, 6:15 AM
LANworld has "complete" rifles for under $900

http://www.lanworldinc.com/ar15.html

bmaksdad
09-02-2008, 7:43 AM
I purchased mine directly from Spikes. I paid a little more than the one on Lanworld's Website because of the upgraded stock (Magpul CTR) and grip (Magpul Miad). The lower was $400 and the upper was $600. I don't think the price would be much lower if you built it yourself. The good thing about ordering directly from Spikes is that you can have it built exactly how you want it. You have your choice of plastic handguard or rail, fake can or flash hider, etc. It is expensive for a .22 but I don't have any regrets. I only tested it at 25 yards but I was impressed with the accuracy and only 1 malfunction after about 150 rounds. I have a feeling this rifle will be coming along with me on every range trip. It's also a bonus that I can take it to indoor ranges, also.

Gregchico
09-02-2008, 9:39 AM

My SD version cost $925 (plus tax and dros) from LanWorld. It took a very long 5 weeks to get.
The upper is not convertible as the barrel is a true 22lr barrel. I suppose you could use the upper receiver and hand rails in a different build.
The lower can have any upper you want put on top (just don't forget the mag lock or what ever you want to make it legal).

jksupplyco
09-02-2008, 9:53 AM
The B-15 is the perfect application for a multi use lower!

Black Majik
09-02-2008, 11:33 AM

You've been here more than a year and still dunno the answer?

Get BOTH! ;)

BroncoBob
09-02-2008, 2:01 PM
You've been here more than a year and still dunno the answer?

Get BOTH! ;)

Black Majik: put up a another pic of your spikes, it's a sweet looking little thing.

BroncoBob
09-02-2008, 6:31 PM
Ok I've updated my rifle and have removed the carry handle sights and have installed a BUIS so I can get my EOTech off the handguard and on the reciever. I've had this BUIS for over a month just never got around to installing it and taking some photos.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/MVC-040F.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/MVC-039F-1.jpg

Blacktail 8541
09-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Looks nice.

arfan66
09-03-2008, 12:49 AM
bmaksdad - Very nice carbine ya got there! I have one that's very similar (OD Magpul furniture & Burris FastFire/LaRue mount)that I bought back in December. I mostly shoot out at Sac Valley Shooting Center but once in a while I take it to The Gun Room in Elk Grove. We've definitely got to set up a NorCal/Sac Spike's Tactical meet!

Did you get the new bolt or old version?

Jeff

offrdmania
09-03-2008, 7:13 AM
Ok I've updated my rifle and have removed the carry handle sights and have installed a BUIS so I can get my EOTech off the handguard and on the reciever. I've had this BUIS for over a month just never got around to installing it and taking some photos.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/MVC-040F.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/MVC-039F-1.jpg

Do I see some black 27rd mags or are those spray painted smoke mags? I spoke to Black Dog the other day and they said they are in the process of making solid black full size 10 rounders but couldnt give me a time as to when they would be available.

BroncoBob
09-03-2008, 7:23 AM
Do I see some black 27rd mags or are those spray painted smoke mags? I spoke to Black Dog the other day and they said they are in the process of making solid black full size 10 rounders but couldnt give me a time as to when they would be available.

No 27 rounders there, I painted them black, couldn't wait for BDM.

Infidel
09-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Everytime I see one of these it makes me want to sell the Ciener and buy one of these uppers...SOOOO SICK...NICE BUILD MAN!!!

Jerkdog
09-03-2008, 6:13 PM
Nicely done. I built one that's similar, except for the MIAD and the CTR stock (i went cheapy on those). I also went with a Bushnell Trophy red dot instead of dropping the dollars on the eotech.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n137/xJerkdogx/DSC02168.jpg

The Cable Guy
09-03-2008, 8:12 PM
What are the processes of acquiring one of those in CA? Direct from Spikes? or how do you do it?

BroncoBob
09-03-2008, 10:26 PM
What are the processes of acquiring one of those in CA? Direct from Spikes? or how do you do it?

Contact Chris at Lanworld.inc and order from him. About 4 week wait and around $900.00 + xfer and dros.

BroncoBob
09-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Nicely done. I built one that's similar, except for the MIAD and the CTR stock (i went cheapy on those). I also went with a Bushnell Trophy red dot instead of dropping the dollars on the eotech.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n137/xJerkdogx/DSC02168.jpg

Sweet build you got there. I like the Bushnell Trophy. The Bushnell is really a nice optic for the price. I have one on another AR build I have. The EOTech was from my first AR build and I didn't like on my .223 as it was difficult for me to use at 100 yds. Much better at 25 and 50 yds. Old eyes just have a problem seeing the targets at 100 yds without some optic power.

zemperfi1971
09-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Very nice. I have one also very cheap to shoot and fairly accurate. golf balls at 100 yards....

Black Majik
09-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Very nice. I have one also very cheap to shoot and fairly accurate. golf balls at 100 yards....

That's pretty good. I usually go for a 3" chicken steel at angeles. For an AR .22, it's pretty darn accurate.

X-NewYawker
09-04-2008, 8:38 PM
Okay. You convinced me I just ordered my complete .22 from Spikes with the colored in "bullet" selector markings. Two questions:

I can REALLY have ANYTHING on this because it's a .22?

And

2) what bout that "Punisher" logo. Too much?

The Cable Guy
09-04-2008, 8:43 PM
Going to get one as soon as my financial aid check gets through.

books and supplies?
More like Guns and Ammo.

The Cable Guy
09-04-2008, 8:45 PM
Okay. You convinced me I just ordered my complete .22 from Spikes with the colored in "bullet" selector markings. Two questions:

I can REALLY have ANYTHING on this because it's a .22?

And

2) what bout that "Punisher" logo. Too much?
That's one of the things that turned me onto getting one. No bullet button or fixed mag :)

I'll mostly be using it for plinking and target shooting anyways.

The Cable Guy
09-04-2008, 8:48 PM
On a side note, does spikes or lanworld need to go through an FFL or do they ship to your door?

Vinz
09-04-2008, 8:54 PM
Lowers or full built rifles need to go FFL.

Everything thing eles can direct ship.

vinz

xxINKxx
09-04-2008, 9:13 PM
Finally was able to shoot my new spikes .22 upper at angeles last monday...

The POS jams after very other shot...Apparently the place i got it from told me, every so often spikes has a bad one that gets out and has problems..

I hope i can get it replaced without any hassel

DedEye
09-04-2008, 9:21 PM

The POS jams after very other shot...Apparently the place i got it from told me, every so often spikes has a bad one that gets out and has problems..

What kind of mags are you using? Ceiner or Black Dog? How many rounds through your upper? They supposedly need to be "broken in" with about 500-1000rds, after which reliability increases.

Cable Guy: You can have an AR with any receiver markings you want without a bullet button or mag lock as long as it's only used with the .22 upper; no need to spend more on a .22 marked lower.

X-NewYawker
09-04-2008, 9:32 PM
500 rounds of break in is one brick. Not a big deal.

I heard they prefer HIGH VELOCITY ROUNDS. Does this include CCI Stingers?

jchen76@gmail.com
09-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Just got my spikes upper. I brought out some federal bulk and CCI Mini Mags. It hates my mini mags. The mini mags would jam, FTE in one magazine. Switched to federal bulk, about one or two FTE in first 50 rounds of federal bulk. After that, it was 100%, shot about 600 rounds in one sessions. Also spikes recommends to keep the bolt wet in the beginning for break in period for better reliability.

ENTHUSIAST
09-05-2008, 3:15 AM

Call Spike's tell them the problem...I was lucky and got one that FTE'd EVERY other mag :( they said out of about 700 shipped 15 were returned and to just send it back and they would take care of it, that simple NO HASSLE.

I even got to call Spike directly on his cell to explain the problem and he said they would "make SURE that it is working right before it is sent back".

Spike's PAID for shipping BOTH ways and it was back home in three weeks! I havent taken it out yet but they sent me a whole BRAND NEW upper and they even remembered the front sight post that I forgot to tell them was missing from the first one STOKED!!! :D

Spike's Tactical (Ask for Angela)
(407)-928-2666

P.S. The little yellow card they send w/ the upper says to use Federal Bulk .22 LR from Wal-Mart in the 550 Round Value Pack

Black Majik
09-05-2008, 9:21 AM
INK's Spike's definitely needed some attention from the folks at Spikes. I felt kinda bad since I praise them so much, but I've no doubt they'll make right.

He was experiencing a whole boatload of problems that would have taken the whole day to go through a brick of .22 shooting it exclusively. Even then not all 500 or so rounds would have been shot since a lot fell to the ground unshot and mangled.

The majority of the failures were FTFire, and quite a few FTFeed. I didn't experience a FTE from the mags I shot, just the FTFs. We tried my bolt in his upper and it ran fine, so we think his nickel bolt (mines the older bolt) was the culprit. Mags were BDMs.

Hope things turn out for the best.

bmaksdad
09-05-2008, 9:39 AM
Spike's has their own forum on AR15.com that has some good information on their products. One of their reps is on there frequently answering customer questions. It looks like Federal is currently having some problems with the "Bulk Pack Ammo" that the uppers were designed to run on. They also recommend only putting one drop of oil/lube on each rail for best results and that running it wet can cause malfunctions. I took their advice and mine ran great. I had only one stovepipe after about 150 rounds. I am happy with mine so far and am thinking about getting another one for my son.

bigdave1121
09-05-2008, 2:12 PM
Going to get one as soon as my financial aid check gets through.

books and supplies?
More like Guns and Ammo.

I paid off the remainder of my credit card debt with my leftovers from my loan check, but now I'm about to start racking up the debt again when I do this AR 22 build. Oh well :D

ENTHUSIAST
09-06-2008, 2:08 AM
The majority of the failures were FTFire, and quite a few FTFeed. I didn't experience a FTE from the mags I shot, just the FTFs. We tried my bolt in his upper and it ran fine, so we think his nickel bolt (mines the older bolt) was the culprit. Mags were BDMs.

Mine went bang every time it just wouldnt toss them out without catching a spent brass on the way...weird...I will give a range report on the returned one soon as I take it out...

GL INK ;)