PDA

View Full Version : 10 round mags

pdq_wizzard
09-01-2008, 5:05 PM
I bought 2 colt AR 15 10 round mags off of Amazon the other day (had some gift cards given to my a year ago)

anyway I bought some ammo and loaded them up well guss what? one I could fit 11 rounds into it :-( well I took it apart and bent up the floor plate and now I can only get 10 in it.

just thought I would share what I found. also makes me think I might want to check them from time to time .......

Blacktail 8541
09-01-2008, 7:00 PM
Bending the floor plate to reduce the capacity is not a good ideal. It could easily straighten out under repeated loading.

burair
09-01-2008, 10:25 PM
I don't know about the 10 rounders. I assume its similar. But with the full 30 rounds, when I filled them to capacity the magazines wouldn't always seat right. So I would take out a couple.

Since you're using "fixed" 10 round magazines and I presume you reload your AR shotgun style then it shouldn't be a problem. But even in my handguns I don't fill them to full capactiy to give the spring some freedom. That way in an absolute emergency its one less thing to worry about. Just something to think about if you plan on storing loaded mags.

ohsmily
09-01-2008, 10:29 PM
I don't know about the 10 rounders. I assume its similar. But with the full 30 rounds, when I filled them to capacity the magazines wouldn't always seat right. So I would take out a couple.

Since you're using "fixed" 10 round magazines and I presume you reload your AR shotgun style then it shouldn't be a problem. But even in my handguns I don't fill them to full capactiy to give the spring some freedom. That way in an absolute emergency its one less thing to worry about. Just something to think about if you plan on storing loaded mags.

He is worried about the legal problem with having a magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds, not his reliability issues. Having a magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds is a high capacity magazine feeding device. The fact that the magazines are labeled as 10 round magazines and he bought them as such could be used as a strong potential defense, but it is not a complete shield to prosecution. Do NOT fix a magazine in a fixed mag build that can hold more than 10 rounds.

Blacktail 8541
09-02-2008, 12:36 PM
What happened to 5150s' post, did he figure out that he did not know what he was talking about?

joemama
09-02-2008, 3:05 PM
lol ya i was wondering the same thing..