PDA

View Full Version : Post Rabbit hunt questions....

Jamez
09-01-2008, 8:38 AM
I've never gone out hunting before (well, not for animals, i could track terrorists all day) and i'm starting with rabbits before i go take something big down then and go "ok....now what?"

I've watched the YouTube videos of how to gut them and it seems simple enough as well as skinning. What about treating the hide? From what I've seen all you do is salt the hide for several days with non-iodized salt. Is this all? I'd like to save the hide since i'd be my first kill :)

where's a good spot? I was thinking Spenceville. Can you grill a rabbit like beef and just roast it on a spit over a fire or does it need something else done? thanks.

Full Clip
09-01-2008, 8:53 AM
Regarding cooking: We usually bag a couple rabbits while duck hunting and eat them for dinner. I cut the meat into chunks, dip into egg/milk and dredge in a blend of masa (Mexican corn meal used to make tortillas), salt and pepper. I then pan fry in butter. You can absolutely grill/roast it on skewers or whole, but you have to be careful as rabbit (like a lot of other game meat) is low in fat and will dry out very quickly. I also wouldn't eat it too rare!

CSACANNONEER
09-01-2008, 8:58 AM
Salting the hide is just one way of preserving it for tanning at a later time. I've had good luck with just air drying hides without salt. It really depends on the current weather conditions though. If you want to tan your own hides, there are several different routes you can take. You can tan using very traditional means and use brain, stump water, etc. Or, you can try using modern chemicals to tan with. About 20 years ago, I got a publication from the dept. of ag. on home tanning meathods. I never used any of the meathods described because, I took a class from a guy on brain tanning and I like that meathod and the finished product a lot.

Meat is meat and you can cook it like meat. Some ways of cooking are better than others but, anyway you cook it, it will be cooked. Check a few wild game recipe books out and find one that sounds good to you.

Beelzy
09-02-2008, 6:40 AM
Mmmmm, Pappy's and Rabbit=Good BBQ!!

Don't be eating the Jacks (big eared lanky ones) Cottontails are the yummy
ones. Just be careful not to poke the "crap sack" or you will have some
crappy smelling meat to wash.

I throw the hides out with the rest of it. What the heck are you going to do
with rabbit skins hanging around all over the place?? ;)

sargenv
09-02-2008, 7:39 AM
You know they make fur coats out of rabbit don't you? I always tell my pet rabbits, "Now I know why they make fur coats out of you guys".

Beelzy
09-02-2008, 10:05 AM
LOL!!!

Yeah, I know the coats........The ones that the trailer trash chicks are
always wearing. :smilielol5:

Jamez
11-17-2008, 8:57 AM
Salting question:
Ok, I salt the hide. How do I know when it's dry? and how long will it be good for? I'd like to make small things out of it for now? Like simple bags and pouches, things like that.

rabbitstew
11-17-2008, 9:34 AM
Mmmmm, Pappy's and Rabbit=Good BBQ!!

Don't be eating the Jacks (big eared lanky ones) Cottontails are the yummy
ones. Just be careful not to poke the "crap sack" or you will have some
crappy smelling meat to wash.

I throw the hides out with the rest of it. What the heck are you going to do
with rabbit skins hanging around all over the place?? ;)

Agree that cotton tails are much tasty-er, but I'v had some darn good jack stew
and BBQ, actually 2 days ago :). The meat around the spine can be a bit gamy but the legs are deee-lish. Wear gloves when skinning you can get Tularemia is you have open cuts. I hunt rabbits off the 14 HWY past Lancaster. And off the 15 near Hisperia.

rabagley
11-17-2008, 9:35 AM
Short answer: you can make stuff out of the hide right now, but it will start to stink and rot fairly quickly.

If you actually have an interest in making nice things from the hide that you want to last, brain tanning is definitely the way to go.

http://www.braintan.com/articles/furs/george1.html

It sounds time consuming, but if you're doing several hides at once, it's not that bad per hide. Also, you tend to do it in bursts of activity. Once every couple of days, start the next step. Once you get the hang of the scraping, and you're letting things sit for the right length of time, it only takes a minute or two per step per hide.

professionalcoyotehunter
11-17-2008, 9:59 AM
Jack rabbits make awesome stew and jerky.

pullnshoot25
11-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Check the liver for Tularemia before eating them.

BlackonBlack
11-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Rabbit hunting is a great way to get in to hunting. Odds are you probably have a firearm to use, weather an air rifle, rimfire rifle or shotgun. they all work well. Get a hunting license and make sure they are in season when you hunt them. The problem I have is that there aren't many areas in the local national forest that holds cottontails in good numbers. Depending on the weather conditions and time of the year there can be quite a few jacks out in the desert. But it can be hit and miss. Rabbit population is cyclical varies with rain which allows grasses to grow.. their primary food source.

I have never eatin jacks so I can't say how they taste. I have had cottontails and if prepared right it can be delicious. With any wild meat make sure you field dress it (remove the inerts) and cool it as fast as possible! Be careful not to puncture the gut, bladder, intestines etc when you dress it. Just make a slight cut in the hide insert finger and run a sharp knife all the way down. You can remove everything in one motion cleanly with practice.

After that immediately put the animal in a cooler, stuff the body cavity with ice will help. When you get it home, skin the animal immediately and soak the meat in salt water, (in the fridge) overnight to remove the blood, which removes the gaminess flavor. There are endless recipes find one you like.

If you want to keep the hide remove it with one piece. Wash it to remove any glood shot or blood. And salt the inside, over time the flesh will flake off leaving just the pelt.

StraightShooter
11-17-2008, 11:32 AM
This stuff is really easy to use for tanning. (http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/product/103151/krowtann-2000)

Just skin the rabbit, salt the hide and fold it so the inside is touching the inside. If you put the flesh side on the fur side you will get hair slipping (falling out). Follow the directions on the tanning mixture and in three days you get a nice stretchy soft hide. If you just use salt and dry it out it will preserve it but it will be as brittle as a graham cracker. You will need to fet all the meat off the hide (fleshing) which is hard to do with rabbits because their skin is so thin. Just be patient and take your time. Good luck.