PDA

View Full Version : Dove opener Dumb And Close Call Thread

r08ert209cali
09-01-2008, 1:22 AM
Well lets hear all the stories of dumb moves and close calls seen, felt, and herd in the field for this or prior years openings.Also lets see some succesfull hunt stories and pics. cheers!

nothing4u
09-01-2008, 8:50 AM
Mostly sky busting..... Will try again this after noon.

PolishMike
09-01-2008, 9:06 AM
this thread makes PolishMike's brain hurt.

Punctuation is your friend, use it.

7.62 FMJ
09-01-2008, 11:14 AM
I had to really restrain myself and just leave a good spot quietly this morning because some morons thought it was a good place to throw clays. :mad:

r08ert209cali
09-01-2008, 11:21 AM
I had to really restrain myself and just leave a good spot quietly this morning because some morons thought it was a good place to throw clays. :mad:

Thats nice limited hunting area and no consideration from target shooters.It reminds me of when I'm trying to fish and jet skiers keep passing bye my boat and theres over 1000 miles of waterways in the delta.

pieeater
09-01-2008, 1:51 PM
Didnt hunt. Just went out to this quiet little spot and shot clays.

jmzhwells
09-01-2008, 1:54 PM

Did U see 7.62 FMJ:D

7.62 FMJ
09-01-2008, 2:42 PM

That wouldn't have bugged me so bad, I might have thought they had planed a trip and not known it was dove season. They were hunting in the early morning but couldn't hit anything so they decided that they would just throw clays(much slower than dove),so they were not mis informed they were just inconsiderate.:90:

dondo
09-01-2008, 4:57 PM
Made the drive to Niland from OC leaving at around 2 a.m. First time hunting really anything. With a bunch of veteran hunting pals. Before first light spread out in a line in a field on one side of the canal and hunched near some bushes. I was anxious as the light started coming up over the Chocolate Mountains. Quiet and peaceful. Then it was like an assault on Baghdad. It was awesome. Found a little groove and kept my over/under humming and bagged 6 birds. hit a bunch in the air and saw feathers but they kept goin. Some were flying low and fast. I caught two at maybe 8 or 10 yards...annihilated them. Had an amazing first Dove opener.Safe, super fun and I learned a lot. Leearned how to field dress my doves. Can't wait to do it again! I got peppered a couple times by shot but it was nothing.

hectoris
09-01-2008, 5:14 PM
shot my limit in 15 min....Lots of birds and dam I'm just a good shot now..Used less then one box....

gemini05
09-01-2008, 5:54 PM
I got 5 doves in the early morning. Doves were flying lower than I expected. Had a good time overall.

12gauge12
09-01-2008, 6:55 PM
There werent many doves in whister :(
We did each one that came by though

pieeater
09-01-2008, 9:04 PM
That wouldn't have bugged me so bad, I might have thought they had planed a trip and not known it was dove season. They were hunting in the early morning but couldn't hit anything so they decided that they would just throw clays(much slower than dove),so they were not mis informed they were just inconsiderate.:90:

I feel your pain, stuff like that has happened to me more than once.

sargenv
09-01-2008, 9:15 PM
I hunted near Willows. A bit to the east of it in fact. Last year they had tilled sunflower and thre were lots of birds.. This year it was alfalfa on all sides and while I could have had my limit (lost 3 in the alfalfa field) this year was disappointing. If it had just stayed hot in the north valley all would have been good, but it was cool, and quite windy (15 mph, gustiing to 25 ish). What doves I saw were moving 60 mph or more with a nasty tailwind though I managed to scrape together my 8. My brother wasn't so lucky, he got to shoot but was missing the whole time. I think I fired about 5 shells per bird. Next season to open for me is Duck season in about 5-6 weeks. I might see about going out locally next week if I casn figure out where.

AEC1
09-01-2008, 9:41 PM
It was great up in Baird, on the Yuma reservation. Well worth the price of admision to the reservation. My 9 year old and I camped last night and he had his first hunt with a gun in his hand. we had our 20 by 8 am, birds cleaned camp broke and on the way home by 0930. Great year for whitewing, out of our 20, ony 3 were morning, rest white's. I WILL FIND THE EUROS!!!! (Help?) Also found a great spot for the Quale opener in Nov...

My story for the year this year was watching the guys on the field next to ours shoot twice their limits and not even try to collect them left them all on the field and went home. The Game warden nevershowed up. ince we were on the indian reservation they have their own warden I gues they just want the money:(

Gunaria
09-01-2008, 10:06 PM
It was great up in Baird, on the Yuma reservation. Well worth the price of admision to the reservation. My 9 year old and I camped last night and he had his first hunt with a gun in his hand. we had our 20 by 8 am, birds cleaned camp broke and on the way home by 0930. Great year for whitewing, out of our 20, ony 3 were morning, rest white's. I WILL FIND THE EUROS!!!! (Help?) Also found a great spot for the Quale opener in Nov...

My story for the year this year was watching the guys on the field next to ours shoot twice their limits and not even try to collect them left them all on the field and went home. The Game warden nevershowed up. ince we were on the indian reservation they have their own warden I gues they just want the money:(

That's a sad story about the other pouchers. People like that do not deserve to be called hunters.:mad: I am sure you have already done this, but please use this experience to teach your son that what the other pouchers did is not hunting.

r08ert209cali
09-01-2008, 10:20 PM

That pouching is realy a shame. great that you got time with your son. sharing a great sport with the next generation is fantastic. lucky me I got to work today.maybee I'll give it a shot next weekend on my buddies property.
glad that so far everyone from cal guns had a safe trip.

Pronghorn
09-02-2008, 9:24 AM
Is it poaching if you help other shooters get their limit?

AEC1
09-02-2008, 9:39 AM
I do not believe so, if it is I am guilty on 3 counts, not that he wouldent have gotten them, he just ran out of shells. I thought that 7 boxes would have been enough... He is pretty good with clay, but the birds gave him a hard time... I think I need to plug his gun to only take one shell at a time....

sargenv
09-02-2008, 1:47 PM
"Helping" someone with their limit is technically a violation of the Fish and game limit laws. If a Fish and Game warden saw you doing it, it could potentially mean you might be cited as going over your limit. If you were both shooting at the same time, it would be hard to say which birds were yours and which were the other person's. The burden of proof would likely be on the warden though.

Pronghorn
09-02-2008, 2:22 PM
"Helping" someone with their limit is technically a violation of the Fish and game limit laws. If a Fish and Game warden saw you doing it, it could potentially mean you might be cited as going over your limit. If you were both shooting at the same time, it would be hard to say which birds were yours and which were the other person's. The burden of proof would likely be on the warden though.

I have never had more than 9 Dove in my vest.

Gunaria
09-02-2008, 2:51 PM
I have never had more than 9 Dove in my vest.

And none in your cooler, right?

Pronghorn
09-02-2008, 2:53 PM
And none in your cooler, right?

Nope, that's the first place they check.

Two Shots
09-02-2008, 3:32 PM
I do not believe so, if it is I am guilty on 3 counts, not that he wouldent have gotten them, he just ran out of shells. I thought that 7 boxes would have been enough... He is pretty good with clay, but the birds gave him a hard time... I think I need to plug his gun to only take one shell at a time....

7 boxes for dove OMG :eek:

Just kidding, Dove are frustrating unless you've hunted them for years. Then those miss shots are expected and less frustrating.

AEC1
09-02-2008, 3:52 PM
Yep 7 boxes, he had his 4 hits on the first 10 rounds, I thought to myself he is gonna limit in a box, and I have never been able to do better then 2 plus a few from the third, then I guess he got tired or somethig...

robairto
09-02-2008, 4:14 PM
the morning then 6 hrs to fill the balance. The birds (the few I saw) flew in no particular direction and were either at vineyard level or 50+ yds up. It was a great time with good friends and the breasts will be tablefare tonight.

spectr17
09-02-2008, 6:10 PM
Hunted at Cibola Spprtsman's Club with the Corbett family, it was their 10th annual dove hunt and steak dinner the night before. About 60 shooters with many limits early. Lots of whitewings. I manned the camera until about 9am and then knocked a few down. The shooting was small groups that were fairly steady all morning. I saw one big flight of about 25 birds that our group knocked 2 out of. I saw 2 Euros at the cleaning station. Didn't hear much shooting at all from the Cibola NWR nearby. In fact, the valley seemed kind of quiet compared to past years on the opener. I can say the weather and nice breeze was a change from the usual furnace like 115F that Cibola is famous for. It was 84F when we started shooting and with the cloud cover it was perfect shooting. When I left at noon it had just hit 100F. Lots of white 50 gallon barrels with "NO TRESPASSING" marking fields. ONe group said they scouted all day SUnday only to find 2 fields they could shoot.

I stopped by Yellow Mart in Blythe on the way home and most of the hunter there shot limits early that morning. One dad and son said they had 10 shooters in their group who all got limits. 2 older gentlemen said their long time favorite spot down near the river was a dud, they had one bird each they said. Lots of folks coming in there to check out the sales and pick up more shells and licenses for those just getting down to hunt. YellowMart has a big map of the area posted in their store that shows the good spots to hunt. They also had a Dove Hunter paper that had lots of good info in it. The big "Welcome Dove Hunters" banner hanging over the main drag was kewl to see.

Hit B&B Bait & Tackle in north Blythe and got the same reports, lots of limits locally. The big thunderstorm Sunday night we watched to the west of Cibola was west of Palo Verde they said, it looked like it was hammering Palo Verde to us. Warden was out about checking around Blythe but I never saw any wardens or trucks.

Traffic home on the I-10 was light, lookedl like mostly river rats. Saw a a few pickups with dog crates in the back.

Video from the opener

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5uFeYZQonWg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5uFeYZQonWg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

sargenv
09-02-2008, 6:39 PM
I didn't mean to be mean or anything, just that that is how they (wardens) see things.

I had several opportunities yesterday to finish my limit, but I dropped the ball on easy shots and somehow.. I have no idea how I did it, I got all twisted up and knocked down birds I should not have been able to hit.For most people, if you hot 1 dove for every 10 shells, you are doing about average. I somehow managed to hit 1 for every 5 ish shells.

spectr17
09-02-2008, 9:13 PM
It all depends on the state if you can party hunt. We had this discussion several years ago on another forum and in IL I think it was, you can shoot pheasants after you have your limit and give them to another member of your hunting party to count as their daily take. Not in CA though and most states.

I posted an article from the paper a couple years back about a guy shooting for his buddy after he had his limit and the warden got the guy for being part of the infraction and the other buddy for lying to a warden during an investigation. Wardens will do just like cops, they will seperate the group and check everyone's story. I'm not telling stories for nobody plus I really don't want to pay a fine for someone else's stupidity.

Forwarned is forearmed.

Big-Kr3w
09-03-2008, 1:10 PM
blythe=war zone. cracked windshield from people not watching where there shooting, a constant rain of bbs falling over you, watching people shoot at birds that wernt even dove, people shooting at birds that they were never going to find, people shooting doves not even attempting to go and find them, people not picking up there shells, shooting at birds right over your head and there WAY! out of range. But when I brought this to there attention I was the dumb a#$. WAJ....cant wait for quail season!!!

GenLee
09-03-2008, 1:35 PM
We had a great hunt, We shot our "Euro" feed lot near Holtville on the opener, Then went down to a spot in Heber on tuesday morning. Lots of Texas Hold em at the hotel, Good friends, Great shoots, It was awesome as usuall.

screaming pete
09-03-2008, 3:04 PM

are you talking about down by sommerland? south of yuma az

AEC1
09-03-2008, 4:36 PM
Nope, just north of winterhaven it was great, I think I only saw 2 other groups where we were at, we heard alot of shooting but we were pretty much on our own.

Rich

screaming pete
09-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Nope, just north of winterhaven it was great, I think I only saw 2 other groups where we were at, we heard alot of shooting but we were pretty much on our own.

Rich

kool i think i'm headding out this weekend

ghostrider
09-04-2008, 2:18 PM
It was a great opener, plenty of birds, lots of shooting and great friends
Hunted for 2 days, morning and evening and probably returning for the last weekend of the season so we can give the birds a break, it's nice to have friends with plenty of land to shoot and when you are hunting 3000 acres with 6 guys it makes it even better
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c73/ducman998/100_1207.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c73/ducman998/100_1220.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c73/ducman998/100_1216.jpg

r08ert209cali
09-06-2008, 9:54 PM
went out for an evening hunt on a budies property.seen five doves total shot at two and missed.need to find a better spot I think.