PDA

View Full Version : Lock Ring spinning off

nrakid88
08-31-2008, 9:29 PM
Hey, just looking for advice. The lock ring on my DPMS six position buttstock is spinning off after I fire about twenty rounds and I have to re-tighten the thing. its just anoying, Any ideas? Should I try and torque it on really tight so it wont back off, or use some loc-tite?

nrakid88
08-31-2008, 9:30 PM
Oh yeah, its for an AR-15 if that makes a difference

Bruce3
08-31-2008, 9:30 PM
i assume your talking about the castle nut, you can either stake it with a punch or use blue loctite. i choose the latter.

BP88
08-31-2008, 9:41 PM
Use blue loctite and a spanner or strap wrench.

domokun
08-31-2008, 10:35 PM
It shouldn't come loose if you used something like this to tighten the castle nut on your collapsible stock.

http://www.brownells.com/Images/Products/739000010.jpg

It should only cost a couple bucks and can be picked up online from MidwayUSA or Brownells. I got one from the last gun show I attended for cheaps.

Pryde
08-31-2008, 10:47 PM
Loctite will shoot loose. RRA loctites their tubes and they have been known to come loose from time to time.

The only permanent fix is to stake it, most high end manufacturers like LMT, Colt and Noveske will stake their castle nuts.

If you plan on disassembling your lower in the future, loctite mat be better though.

aplinker
08-31-2008, 11:27 PM
Loctite will shoot loose. RRA loctites their tubes and they have been known to come loose from time to time.

The only permanent fix is to stake it, most high end manufacturers like LMT, Colt and Noveske will stake their castle nuts.

If you plan on disassembling your lower in the future, loctite mat be better though.

A castle nut is only a couple bucks. Staking is free.

It's not often you'll need to remove the buffer tube, anyways, especially if you thought ahead and went mil-spec.

Stake it.

LewDog
09-01-2008, 12:39 PM
I use this guy right here:

http://riflegear.com/images/product/medium/216_1_.jpg

I've put about 700 rounds through the rifle and without any loctite I have not had any problems with the castle nut backing off. This tool costs a bit more than the single purpose wrenches but has pretty much everything you need for the "specialty" jobs all in one. Not to mention, it would most likely be a good throwing weapon should the need arise due to its mass (bigger and heavier than it looks in the pics) :rolleyes:

JagerTroop
09-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Hey, just looking for advice. The lock ring on my DPMS six position buttstock is spinning off after I fire about twenty rounds and I have to re-tighten the thing. its just anoying, Any ideas? Should I try and torque it on really tight so it wont back off, or use some loc-tite?

I made the mistake of forgetting to tighten the castlenut on my first build. So, when I took it ut for the 1st time, I had to tighten it by hand every dozen or so shots. Just get a carbine stock tool, and you'll be good to go. Mine hasn't come loose since. If you use loctite, try the blue (med. strength) 1st, then go to the red, if you need to.

aplinker
09-01-2008, 1:19 PM
Why is everyone so resistant to staking? It's a $2 nut.

tighten, stake and go. There's a reason it's cut for staking.

Why do you need to remove the buffer tube?

BP88
09-01-2008, 1:45 PM

You never know.

AJAX22
09-01-2008, 1:54 PM

I think some people just like disassembling and re-configuring their AR's alot.

I've decided that its way easier and much more convenient to just build up another one whenever I get that urge.

A2 stocks are better anyway ;)

aplinker
09-01-2008, 2:21 PM
I think some people just like disassembling and re-configuring their AR's alot.

I've decided that its way easier and much more convenient to just build up another one whenever I get that urge.

A2 stocks are better anyway ;)

You lose a $2 castle nut if you ever do want to pull the tube and you have a rock-solid mount. It's all good, though.

A2 stocks are fine if their LOP isn't too long for you - they are for most of the little people on the board. I like them. I like M16 stocks more. I prefer adjustable LOP.

bohoki
09-01-2008, 2:50 PM
try some teflon tape

mike22ca
09-02-2008, 9:08 AM
Funny that someone mentioned this. I believe there are a couple past posts about it. I just recently had one of mine come loose. It was just torqued on with the castle nut wrench, no stalking, no loctite. I learned the hard way... it will inevitably come loose if its not stalked or at the least loctited. The particular lower is a Vltor Emod & vltor 5 pos tube. I shoot 5.56 and .50 Beo on it. The castle nut ended up coming loose, letting the receiver plate move around and it chewed up the threads on the Vltor buffer tube! Ended up having to replace the buffer tube. Im not sure if I needed to or not but the reciever plate notch that holds the tube in place was a little worked over from eating away at the threads on the buffer tube so I just went ahead and ordered a GG&G sling adaptor receiver plate for good measure. Learn from my mistake, at LEAST use some Loctite, and if you feel compelled stake it.

LewDog
09-02-2008, 9:48 AM

I'm glad I didn't stake mine because the takedown pin I originally used on my build was out of spec (detent diameter was larger than the channel in the pin so it wouldn't move without a punch) so I had to loosen the buffer tube to pull the detent and get the pin out.

Sure, it's only a $2 nut but I'd rather just loosen it, fix the problem and tighten it back up instead of having to order/get a new nut. Just convenience I suppose.

If it was a service rifle, sure, I'd stake it because I wouldn't want anything coming loose when I'm relying on the rifle to keep me alive but hey, it's a plinker. I always check everything before and after every range trip anyways. Also, as mentioned above, some people like to change their setup frequently.

It's yet another topic that basically comes down to: "to each their own." If anything, I'd just use a couple drops of loctite.

Beelzy
09-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Put a drop of black nail polish at each castleation and you are set.

Staking is hard on the threads on the buffer tube. ;)

-hanko
09-02-2008, 4:03 PM

It's also hard on the bolt carrier key and the screws that hold it to the carrier.

OP's question was how to keep the nut from coming undone. Staking is the correct answer;). Loctite and nail polish are possible solutions. Teflon tape I haven't tried.

-hanko

nrakid88
09-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Well, Im an idiot, the whole time I had the catle nut wrench and didn't know it, its built into my DPMS ar-15 tool. So I torqued it on pretty tight and it won't be going anywhere for a while, I may or may not loc-tite it though. Depends if she loosens up at the range again.

ar15barrels
09-05-2008, 11:17 PM
You never know.

While you may not, I do. ;)

ar15barrels
09-05-2008, 11:20 PM

You know nothing of what you speak.

The staking does not even touch the threads.

http://ar15barrels.com/tech/castle-nut-stake.jpg

ar15barrels
09-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Well, Im an idiot
I may or may not loc-tite it

If you don't use it much, it won't loosen up and in those cases, loctite also works.
If you intend to really use it, then stake it.
You don't hear about Colt receiver extensions coming loose do you?
That's because they are staked at the factory. ;)

Staking is correct way to do it.
Everything else is a compromise.

technique
09-05-2008, 11:30 PM
You know nothing of what you speak.

The staking does not even touch the threads.

http://ar15barrels.com/tech/castle-nut-stake.jpg

Harsh Randall, harsh;)

ar15barrels
09-05-2008, 11:50 PM
Harsh Randall, harsh;)

It may be harsh, but it's all true... ;)