PDA

View Full Version : Target shooting on BLM land

gibbygoo
08-31-2008, 7:47 PM
1. Can I use lead ammo when target shooting on BLM land?

2. Can i not even have lead ammo with me if I were to hunt on BLM land?

3. If I have a firearm on me for protection while hunting, can it be lead ammo?

Assuming I am in Condor zones. Also, for this example I am talking shotgun and rimfire only.

nothing4u
08-31-2008, 9:16 PM
1. You most certainly can.
2. If you are hunting big game or non-game species you must use lead free bullets or shot.
3. Sidearm must be lead free if you plan on hunting big game or non-game species even if you are carring a rifle with lead free bullets. As far as DFG is concern any center fire pistol regardless of caliber is legal method of take on big game.

gibbygoo
09-01-2008, 5:13 AM
what if I'm using rimfire for small game and or non game?

gibbygoo
09-01-2008, 6:12 AM
It sucks that you can't shoot targets in the same trip as hunting. So I need to remove all the lead ammo from my truck before I go.

I read the regulations over and over, but I kept hearing that the lead ban was for centerfire only. Now I need to help my friend get a hunting license because we can't target shoot and hunt in the same trip. So what if hunting sucks? The non lead ammo is expensive.

nothing4u
09-01-2008, 7:58 AM
what if I'm using rimfire for small game and or non game?

Only shoot small game if you want to use lead. Otherwise go lead free if you want to shoot both.

nothing4u
09-01-2008, 8:02 AM
It sucks that you can't shoot targets in the same trip as hunting. So I need to remove all the lead ammo from my truck before I go.

I read the regulations over and over, but I kept hearing that the lead ban was for centerfire only. Now I need to help my friend get a hunting license because we can't target shoot and hunt in the same trip. So what if hunting sucks? The non lead ammo is expensive.

Targets? By that do you mean ground squirrels? There's nothing stopping you from shooting paper targets and hunting small game with lead rim-fire. Just don't shoot ground squirrels at the same time and your good to go.

gibbygoo
09-01-2008, 7:40 PM
Targets? By that do you mean ground squirrels? There's nothing stopping you from shooting paper targets and hunting small game with lead rim-fire. Just don't shoot ground squirrels at the same time and your good to go.
I think I'm getting it figured out. By targets, I meant paper. I did end up shooting today and not hunting. I just sort of patterned a shotgun. I just wanted to be open to other opportunities. So, small game is exactly what is described in the DFG regulations, and it's starting to sick in. Thanks.