PDA

View Full Version : Cool Picture I just took of my 26.5" AR-10...

BlackReef
08-31-2008, 1:08 AM
Got a little creative with the lighting and my old 4.0 Megapixel Panasonic Lumix Camera.

I think it came out pretty cool :)

http://www.blackreefdesigns.com/misc/coolAR10.png

NiteQwill
08-31-2008, 1:10 AM
scary ;)

Too many pictures, not enough shooting. That is what the rifle is saying right now, I swear.

BlackReef
08-31-2008, 1:12 AM
scary ;)

Too many pictures, not enough shooting. That is what the rifle is saying right now, I swear.

At $.75/round for the cheap stuff, I'm gonna keep taking pictures

:D

KIDRR
08-31-2008, 1:24 AM
I'm going to have nightmares now

That I don't have one :D

gcvt
08-31-2008, 2:42 AM
That photo gave me a warm fuzzy feeling - nice work ;)

Capita159
08-31-2008, 3:10 AM
From a photographers' stand point, I think you did great! Maybe a little air brushing of the background or use a black backdrop and your rifle will pop out more.
I like mixing blacklights with a small amount of fill light to give a cold hard feeling.

Does your Lumix Camera say Leica anywhere on the lens? Panasonic makes some of the better cameras in the market.

You should add a watermark on your picture so people don't jack you and use that picture elsewhere without giving you credit.

Awesome looking piece of work!

virulosity
08-31-2008, 1:19 PM
That is awesome! Do you have any higher resolution? That would look great on my desktop at work..

Guntech
08-31-2008, 1:23 PM
Nice

Sniper3142
08-31-2008, 1:41 PM
Sorry but that picture sucks...

Because I don't own that rifle!!!

;)

Very cool picture and rifle you've got there.

BlackReef
08-31-2008, 1:45 PM
From a photographers' stand point, I think you did great! Maybe a little air brushing of the background or use a black backdrop and your rifle will pop out more.
I like mixing blacklights with a small amount of fill light to give a cold hard feeling.

Does your Lumix Camera say Leica anywhere on the lens? Panasonic makes some of the better cameras in the market.

You should add a watermark on your picture so people don't jack you and use that picture elsewhere without giving you credit.

Awesome looking piece of work!

Yea, my camera has a Leica lens. Thats why all the pictures turn out so good. I'll add a watermark to it in a bit.

I am by no means a good photographer. What I did with this picture is turned off all the lights in the room and set the camera on a 8-Second Exposure. While the picture was taking, I shined a blue LED light over the top of the rifle to give it the effect. I didn't make a single edit in Photoshop, I just cropped the picture as it was and uploaded it.

I have always wanted to get serious about photography and get some professional lighting and stuff, just never had the money so I always make do with what I have (sometimes I use a windshield heat reflector for lighting!)

I can post a high-res if anybody is interested.

-Joe

FMJBT
08-31-2008, 4:35 PM
Awesome pic! Gotta love the AR-10 in low light :) Here's one of mine that I got from messing around with photoshop:
http://album.hybridz.org/data/500/BW_AR-10.jpg

For some cheap but accurate 308, check out the Prvi Partizan 168gr Match. It's more accurate than the <$14.00 per box price would indicate.

BlackReef
08-31-2008, 5:42 PM
FMJBT,

Does that upper in the picture use a Armalite/Noveske style lower?

FMJBT
08-31-2008, 8:39 PM
FMJBT,

Does that upper in the picture use a Armalite/Noveske style lower?

Yes, it's a Noveske N-6 lower with Hesse/Blackthorne upper using an Armalite bolt carrier assembly.

X-NewYawker
08-31-2008, 8:40 PM
VERY nice photo...

Prc329
08-31-2008, 8:43 PM
At $.75/round for the cheap stuff, I'm gonna keep taking pictures

:D

Gotta start reloading.

BlackReef
08-31-2008, 8:43 PM
Yes, it's a Noveske N-6 lower with Hesse/Blackthorne upper using an Armalite bolt carrier assembly.

Interesting. Can you get a dust cover for those uppers? Also, where can a upper like that be purchased?

thanks

technique
08-31-2008, 8:54 PM
Those are some nice guns. I went with a 16in model, Kinda wish I stepped my game up a little like you guys. NICE RIFLES!

FMJBT
08-31-2008, 9:05 PM
Interesting. Can you get a dust cover for those uppers? Also, where can a upper like that be purchased?

thanks

Unfortunately, there is no provision for a dust cover on this upper. I have to be careful at the range not to let it fall over into the dirt on that side :mad: I got the upper, minus bolt carrier several years back from the Blackthorne website http://akpartskits.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8&zenid=68930c4c2445da25991660d680f42090 for around $320 IIRC. They no longer sell complete uppers, but most of the individual parts are still available. For being a Hesse/Vulcan/Blackthorne product, it's actually not a bad rifle at all. I've had the standard break in issues that many AR-10 owners experience over the first 400-500 rounds but it seems to be over that now and runs great. Having said that though, if I were going to do it over I would have bought the same Armalite upper that you have just for the dust cover aspect, as well as parts compatibility.

FMJBT
08-31-2008, 9:07 PM
Gotta start reloading.

+1

It doesn't look like 308 is going to get any cheaper anytime soon. I'm running the cheap Prvi stuff for now because it has good brass for reloading later.

Q
09-01-2008, 12:20 AM
Nice pic, cool lighting effect. Kinda looks like one of these with all the custom parts.:) http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n32/qbertquartz2/Barrett20M82A1-400.jpg

Addax
09-01-2008, 2:36 PM
Beautiful Photos Kingsnake and FMJBT.

Looks like one of my next personal rifle projects is an AR10...:43:

GMONEY
09-01-2008, 2:44 PM
Awesome pic! Gotta love the AR-10 in low light :) Here's one of mine that I got from messing around with photoshop:
http://album.hybridz.org/data/500/BW_AR-10.jpg

For some cheap but accurate 308, check out the Prvi Partizan 168gr Match. It's more accurate than the <$14.00 per box price would indicate.

What kind of scope is that?

BlackReef
09-12-2008, 3:43 AM
Anyone care to explain the feeding problems I am having with the Armalite Gen II Mags? Every 5-6 rounds, I will get a round that jams halfway and causes the bolt to stop. I have to manually pull the bolt back and drop the magazine to clear it up. I had this issue with my first AR-15 and the Bushmaster 10-Rd Magazine. My solution was to buy a Magpul Mag, and that fixed it. What do I do with the AR-10 mag to help feed better?

BP88
09-12-2008, 3:50 AM
Nice rifle. One day I'll have a rifle cool enough to have 3 pages + discussed on it. :chris:

Who was the clown that told me AR-10's were illegal in California in another thread?

Darklyte27
09-12-2008, 6:08 AM
pretty nice

FMJBT
09-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Anyone care to explain the feeding problems I am having with the Armalite Gen II Mags? Every 5-6 rounds, I will get a round that jams halfway and causes the bolt to stop. I have to manually pull the bolt back and drop the magazine to clear it up. I had this issue with my first AR-15 and the Bushmaster 10-Rd Magazine. My solution was to buy a Magpul Mag, and that fixed it. What do I do with the AR-10 mag to help feed better?

What does the round look like when extracted? Are there gouge marks on the side of the case from the feed lips? (Larger gouges than normal, anyway). Have you tried several different mags in the rifle?

pc_city
09-15-2008, 5:52 PM
I've been using GenII mags for a while now. About 400 rounds with 8 different mags without any problems. I'm guessing you f'd up your upper or your mags or are not using enough CLP on your BCG.

BDH
09-15-2008, 7:14 PM
Where do you shoot here in San Diego?
Bruce