PDA

View Full Version : FN SPR

dfletcher
08-30-2008, 9:33 PM
I bought a slightly used FN SPR today and am looking for a one piece weaver base as a scope mount - any suggestions?

Also, the rifle has a very heavy barrel from the front of the receiver with a distinct "step" in the barrel about 10" down and the barrel is threaded with a brake. Is this an older model? Don't see that same set up on current manufacture.

Any one have an SPR - like them, don't like them? This is my 1st and aside from knowing it's a pre64 style Winchester in a McMillin stock I know zip about these guns.

Solidsnake87
08-30-2008, 10:55 PM
My FN is more accurate than I am. At 800 yards I can hold groups 1-1.2 MOA wide and .5 MOA tall. Great guns. Yours sound like some custom work was done. All FN SPRs come with 1 piece bases attached. It sounds like the previous owner took it. Get the 20 MOA mount from badger ordinance for Winnie model 70s or just call up FN and order. They are a great starter precision rifle.

mike452
08-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Which model did you get? How long is your barrel? Fluted? Pics?

Your barrel should have FN Special Police Rifle 308 marking on it. I haven't seen any SPR with a brake from the factory or with the step you are describing. They all should come with a 1 piece 20MOA mount.
You can see the thick chrome in the chrome lined barrel from the muzzle.

I have an A1 with the 24" barrel. I like it more than my Rem 700. I'm just too cheap to shoot it. They have the best accuracy guarantee for production rifle. Their chrome lined barrels will last a very long time.

dfletcher
08-31-2008, 6:39 PM
Which model did you get? How long is your barrel? Fluted? Pics?

Your barrel should have FN Special Police Rifle 308 marking on it. I haven't seen any SPR with a brake from the factory or with the step you are describing. They all should come with a 1 piece 20MOA mount.
You can see the thick chrome in the chrome lined barrel from the muzzle.

I have an A1 with the 24" barrel. I like it more than my Rem 700. I'm just too cheap to shoot it. They have the best accuracy guarantee for production rifle. Their chrome lined barrels will last a very long time.

Not fluted, 20" bbl. I can't do photos but here's a current offering from FN.

http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/model.asp?fid=FNF006&gid=FNG005&mid=FNM0009

What's different is that about 10" down the barrel has a distinct step down in thickness, similar to stepped barrels like the Mauser. And the barrel is threaded with a muzzle brake. Other than that, this is the model.

I'm pretty good gauging whether a gun has been refinished, all I can say is the finish on the barrel exactly matches the finish on the receiver. I don't think the gun has been refinished, the finish on the barrel, receiver and stock all show the same degree of very slight wear.

I'm pretty sensitive to trigger pull and the Wichester is not one of my favs. I may replace the trigger, will probably use Warne rings.