PDA

View Full Version : Finally had my first slamfire

ocabj
08-30-2008, 8:17 PM
I finally had my first slamfire since in the 20+ years I've been shooting.

Was trying to finish off my last 10 round string of slow fire standing today at Inland, put the round in the ejection port of the AR, dropped the bolt with the muzzle downrange, but about 45 degrees towards the ground in front me, and the round went off.

We're guessing it's a high primer considering I was using Remington 7-1/2 and the brass was once fired LC05 that I was in a sense 'fireforming' since the brass was from straight from the military (mixed AR and M249 fired). I did minimal swaging on the primer pockets, so there's a good chance I didn't swage it enough, resulting in a high primer (hand primed with a Lee hand tool).

Anyway, it was pretty unsettling. It's always important to keep the muzzle pointed downrange.

But I'm glad I got my one slamfire done with during practice. I would have definitely sucked if it happened during a match.

technique
08-30-2008, 8:22 PM
wow, I do that all the time ( load a single round through the ejection port)

Glad you practice range safety....+1 to you!

Guntech
08-30-2008, 8:26 PM
Yeah atleast you didnt kill someone.

Vinz
08-30-2008, 8:33 PM
Wow glad no one got hurt. Testament to your gun safety.

Is this a common thing? Or a fireing pin malfunction?

vinz

ocabj
08-30-2008, 8:48 PM
Wow glad no one got hurt. Testament to your gun safety.

Is this a common thing? Or a fireing pin malfunction?

vinz

No, it's not common. On a properly maintained and function firearm, it's most likely attributed to the ammo. My theory for this situation is a high primer. The Remington 7-1/2 is as hard a primer as they come.

buffybuster
08-30-2008, 9:51 PM
Most likely a high primer....... But you shouldn't single load thru the ejection port. I know alot of high power shooter single load long OAL ammo. However, the rifle is designed to strip the round from the magazine, slowing the bolt carrier in the process to preclude a slamfire. If you single load, the bolt carrier slams full force and the firing pin can have enough momentum to have a slamfire.

ocabj
08-30-2008, 10:04 PM
Most likely a high primer....... But you shouldn't single load thru the ejection port. I know alot of high power shooter single load long OAL ammo. However, the rifle is designed to strip the round from the magazine, slowing the bolt carrier in the process to preclude a slamfire. If you single load, the bolt carrier slams full force and the firing pin can have enough momentum to have a slamfire.

Yes, I single load through the ejection port because I *do* shoot HP. Slow fire standing, which is what I was practicing at the time of the incident, (and slow prone) requires single loading of every round. I've been loading the rounds in this manner since day 1 of my HP career.

Ee1wGuIN10Q

I guess you could drop the magazine and load a round into the magazine, reinsert the magazine, and drop the bolt. Or you could pull back the charging handle and ride the bolt into position...

tophatjones
08-30-2008, 10:14 PM
Good thing you practiced proper firearms safety and kept the muzzle pointed downrange. Glad to see no one was hurt. Look on the bright side, at least it wasn't a stuck firing pin and a beta C mag. That'd be embarrassing.

hybridatsun350
08-31-2008, 2:11 PM
Good thing you practiced proper firearms safety and kept the muzzle pointed downrange. Glad to see no one was hurt. Look on the bright side, at least it wasn't a stuck firing pin and a beta C mag. That'd be embarrassing.

That would be more than embarrassing! :43: