PDA

View Full Version : Saiga .223 Info Wanted

Bruce
08-30-2008, 6:48 PM
I've got one on the way. What's the twist rate of their barrels? Who's the best vendor for magazines?(10 shot of course since this is the PRK :D) Are Surefire mags any good? Any helpful hints from you owners out there?

nazgulnarsil
08-30-2008, 6:59 PM
http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/

get a AK mag lock and do the conversion. Unfortunately, the 16 inch barrel model is shorter than the legally required length with the stock folded so it either needs to be pinned or have a bayonet pinned to the front.

bigthaiboy
08-31-2008, 2:13 PM
http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/

get a AK mag lock and do the conversion. Unfortunately, the 16 inch barrel model is shorter than the legally required length with the stock folded so it either needs to be pinned or have a bayonet pinned to the front.

Just be aware that, some ranges wll not let you shoot with a bayonet attached (eg. Mosin M44 with unfolded bayonet), so check with your range the are cool if you have a bayonet attached with a scabbard on, before you make the trip.

halifax
08-31-2008, 2:50 PM
I've got one on the way. What's the twist rate of their barrels? Who's the best vendor for magazines?(10 shot of course since this is the PRK :D) Are Surefire mags any good? Any helpful hints from you owners out there?

Just did a patch and rod test: seems mine is 1:9 for the Izhmash 20.47" (520mm) barrel.

Magazines bought with the rifle labelled "COK-223, C15" seem to be from the same factory judging by the writing and TOXIC rust-inhibitor paper. They work fine but one was a little tight.

nazgulnarsil
08-31-2008, 8:11 PM
Just be aware that, some ranges wll not let you shoot with a bayonet attached (eg. Mosin M44 with unfolded bayonet), so check with your range the are cool if you have a bayonet attached with a scabbard on, before you make the trip.

I assume that for the range the stock would be pinned open and you'd leave the bayonet at home.

SJgunguy24
08-31-2008, 8:21 PM
Haven't seen any good deals at all for the 223 mags. Classicarms has the 7.62 mag 2 for 25$. 223 mags anywhere from 25-45$ each.

Bruce
09-01-2008, 1:52 PM
Thanks guys. Has any one got a good pouch for the mags? I was wondering if the Chicom SKS ammo carrier/"chest pouch" would work with one 10-rounder per pouch.