PDA

View Full Version : 50 BMG Question

xxG3xx
08-30-2008, 1:12 PM
i know i know...its very limited to what we can have in 50 bmg like the M2 or a Pistol...ouch...i have even seen maybe an AR50 if we took the stock off...but heres my question...what about a Barrett M82 if it was taken apart ( like we can have PS90's and FS2k's and others) im assuming that the answer is no but it doesn't hurt to ask. even if we could i think i would have a problem finding a retailer willing to ship here

:TFH:thanks:TFH:

mrkubota
08-30-2008, 2:20 PM
Nope, we can't have any *new* rifles capable of chambering/firing a .50BMG cartridge.

Barrett sold the 82a CAL version before the ban that was CA legal with a fixed swing down magazine. If they would just rechamber them in .50DTC, then they could be sold here again.

As has been mentioned before, you can still get an M2HB beltfed for about the same price.
It's not a 'rifle', so they comply to the letter of the law.

xxG3xx
08-30-2008, 2:22 PM
thought so

thanks

JHC
08-30-2008, 2:33 PM
As an option for owning but keeping dissembled while in CA you could get a .50 BMG upper half and an Oll AR lower. ALS makes a nice upper.

dotchoy
08-30-2008, 3:39 PM
As an option for owning but keeping dissembled while in CA you could get a .50 BMG upper half and an Oll AR lower. ALS makes a nice upper.

Have a ALS in .510 DTC on order as we speak. Will be ready next March:D

elsolo
08-30-2008, 3:43 PM
just get a .510dtc instead of a BMG.
Many fine rifles available chambered in it.
You are going to really want to be loading all your own ammo anyhow, so it doesn't matter.

X-NewYawker
08-30-2008, 3:51 PM
Get a 416 barrett -- CA legal and accurate to 2500 meters still over 1000 fps out there.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/Lou-n-Barret.jpg

NRAhighpowershooter
08-30-2008, 5:32 PM
This is still legal to buy and own in CA :43: semi-auto of course......
http://alliedarmament.homestead.com/M2_right_hand_view.jpg

Nefarious
08-30-2008, 6:45 PM
This is still legal to buy and own in CA :43: semi-auto of course......
http://alliedarmament.homestead.com/M2_right_hand_view.jpg

GB GB GB!!!! :D

Come on guys... we already did our 1919 GB ;)

xxG3xx
08-31-2008, 5:52 PM
im gonna go with the barrett 99 in .416 with the new BORS system...thanks i will keep you guys posted its gonna take some more saving

Q
09-01-2008, 12:40 AM
Nope, we can't have any *new* rifles capable of chambering/firing a .50BMG cartridge.

Barrett sold the 82a CAL version before the ban that was CA legal with a fixed swing down magazine. If they would just rechamber them in .50DTC, then they could be sold here again.

As has been mentioned before, you can still get an M2HB beltfed for about the same price.
It's not a 'rifle', so they comply to the letter of the law.

If I could save up the funds.... I would love a rechamber M82 CQ. Held the standard one and it weighs a ton! The M2 is on my want list to. Just can't afford either right now. :D
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n32/qbertquartz2/m82cq008.jpg

basing110
09-01-2008, 10:03 AM
hmm search button is gonna be used now haha

aplinker
09-01-2008, 11:51 AM
im gonna go with the barrett 99 in .416 with the new BORS system...thanks i will keep you guys posted its gonna take some more saving

you might want to do some reading on Sniper's Hide about the 416.

As a BMG replacement it would suit your needs, but there are issues with its real world long distance capability.

If you want a 50 replacement the 510 is the much more viable option.

If you want a long range gun, the Cheytac has more load and bullet development.

Tankhatch
09-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Did somebody finally get a M2 semi-bmg DROSed, here in California or heaven forbid, a "blind eye" decision from the,,, the you know whos ????

brando
09-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Actually, just get a .338LM instead of a .416 or .408. It suits a wider variety of long range shooters and doesn't require the same level of commitment as the other calibers that are still niche in comparison. If you want to shoot past 1600m, then look at .408 or .510DTC, but it would behoove you to be at least a somewhat experienced handloader if you go that route.

PS. BORS is a waste of money

1919_4_ME
09-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Did somebody finally get a M2 semi-bmg DROSed, here in California or heaven forbid, a "blind eye" decision from the,,, the you know whos ????

Yes a member here bought an M2HB recently. He has a thread with pics somewhere around here.:D

Nefarious
09-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Yes a member here bought an M2HB recently. He has a thread with pics somewhere around here.:D

Im still waiting for an M2HB GB
I dont think its going to happen though ;)

BigBamBoo
09-04-2008, 11:12 AM

AaronHorrocks
09-04-2008, 1:19 PM
The price on the M2 continues to climb. It's not going to drop.
in 2000, they were about $2,000 to $3,000.
in 2004 when I got mine they were $5,000.

Now you're looking at $8,000. If you can't afford it now, you never will. Your window for getting one is quickly closing. Most of the M2HB parts are sold out. You might have to settle for an M3. People are having bid wars over barrels.

CSACANNONEER
09-04-2008, 1:39 PM
You might want to do some more research...barrel life is said to be 1000-2000rds. That aint much.

Let us know what you bring home.

That may be a bit optimistic. 50BMGs can burn out barrels in less than 2000 rounds and a 416 is more overbored than a 50 is.

draconianruler
09-04-2008, 7:52 PM
Like others mentioned, if you want a 50BMG alternative then go with the 50DTC. It has the same ballistics and fun factor. For long range shooting, I would go with the .338 Lapua. Let us know what you decide and show pics :D

AaronHorrocks
09-05-2008, 2:31 PM
If I was going for a high end sniper rifle, I'd get a .416.
If I was going for an M2HB, I'd settle for .50DTC. - Because I do not trust the CA DOJ to accept the argument that it's "not a rifle" and I don't want to go to court to prove that I'm right.

brando
09-05-2008, 3:27 PM
Why a .416? It's about the least proven ELR round out there.

bohoki
09-05-2008, 4:49 PM
yea back when you could get 50 for less than $2 a round it was worth having a 50 but now ammo is at minimum $4 you might as well reload 50dtc

aplinker
09-05-2008, 7:57 PM
Why a .416? It's about the least proven ELR round out there.

Cause Futureweapons says so? :sleeping:

dfletcher
09-05-2008, 8:55 PM
I need some help on another website, see attached:http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=322955

I've been asked which CA codes allow us to buy the 50 BMG M2 - help!

ke6guj
09-05-2008, 9:34 PM
Looks like their forum is down, but this is what I tried to post.

++++++++++++

Here is the pertinant code.

12278. (a) As used in this chapter, a ".50 BMG rifle" means a center fire rifle that can fire a .50 BMG cartridge and is not already an assault weapon pursuant to Section 12276, 12276.1, or 12276.5, or a machinegun, as defined in Section 12200.
(b) As used in this chapter, a ".50 BMG cartridge" means a cartridge that is designed and intended to be fired from a center fire rifle and that meets all of the following criteria:
(1) It has an overall length of 5.54 inches from the base to the tip of the bullet.
(2) The bullet diameter for the cartridge is from .510 to, and including, .511 inch.
(3) The case base diameter for the cartridge is from .800 inch to, and including, .804 inch.
(4) The cartridge case length is 3.91 inches.
(c) A ".50 BMG rifle" does not include any "antique firearm," nor any curio or relic as defined in Section 178.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
(d) As used in this section, "antique firearm" means any firearm manufactured prior to January 1, 1899.

So, then you look for the definition of rifle. The only place that rifle is defined in the PC is
12020(c)(20) As used in this section, a "rifle" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

So, by that definition, a tripod-mounted M2 should not be defined as a rifle since they were not designed to be fired from the shoulder. And as long as a shoulder stock is never attached, it should be legal. I'm not even aware of a shoulder stock attachment in production for the M2. The problem is that CADOJ will not put in writing an opinion or ruling stating their position on the matter. They have had their writings used against them too many times and don't want to give us any more ammo.

So, we have to read the PC for ourselves and determine what the law says. That is how the entire OLL situation came about.

dfletcher
09-05-2008, 9:50 PM
Thanks - looks like the site is down for now. I found 12278 but couldn't find the rifle definition. I'll post the info as soon as they're back up.

I presume the M2 isn't a C & R, correct?

gazzavc
09-05-2008, 9:57 PM
No but a Boys Anti-Tank Rifle rechambered in .50BMG is.

I've even got one, look.................

http://photos.imageevent.com/gazzavc/editingjunk/websize/DSCF2206_1.JPG

ke6guj
09-05-2008, 10:00 PM
That rifle definition is hard to find since it is hiding in 12020 and refers to being used in that section. Since there are no other rifle definition in the firearms title of the PC, that rifle definition is apparantly to be used.

nope, new production semi-auto M2's are not C&R. There may be some original full-auto M2's that are C&R, but that does not help us.

Now, there are C&R 50BMGs that we should be able to get. The Boys anti-tank rifle is C&R. It was originally made in .55 caliber, but commmonly is rebarreled in .50BMG. I heard that a Calgunner did call ATF to confirm that it was C&R if in .50BMG. He got a verbal confirmation, but was waiting on a writen letter on it.

AaronHorrocks
09-06-2008, 10:00 AM
I'd love a .55 Boys!

I'll have to settle for being a rifleman though - I almost have all the gear.

CSACANNONEER
09-06-2008, 5:22 PM
I'd love a .55 Boys!

I'll have to settle for being a rifleman though - I almost have all the gear.

I have an old friend who converted his boys to 50BMG back in '68 or so. He did it because, one he ran out of ammo for it and two, he didn't want to register it as a DD. Well, from what I understand, that the biggest problem with converting these is that they were not designed for John Browning's cartridge and end up pounding the shooter a lot harder than rifles designed expressly for the recoil of the 50BMG. I'm not sure why this is, I'm just passing on what I've heard and the limited experience I have comparing the recoil of one converted boy's to the recoil of my AR50.

ar15barrels
09-06-2008, 11:20 PM
You might want to do some more research...barrel life is said to be 1000-2000rds. That aint much.

Most people that buy those guns will NEVER wear out a barrel so barrel life could be 500 rounds and it would still not matter.
People have all these aspirations of shooting at XXXX yds, but it just never happens.
First they freak about ammo costs.
Then they run out of scope elevation.
Then they learn a little about wind and realize they can't hit the hood of a car to save their life.
So, they put the rifle away in the safe and go back to shooting at shorter ranges.
Look at for-sale ads and you will see that most extreme range rifles are sold used with less than 100 rounds through them.
That's about the learning curve to hit the roadbumps listed above.

TonyM
09-07-2008, 7:46 AM
Most people that buy those guns will NEVER wear out a barrel so barrel life could be 500 rounds and it would still not matter.
People have all these aspirations of shooting at XXXX yds, but it just never happens.
Then they learn a little about wind and realize they can't hit the hood of a car to save their life.
So, they put the rifle away in the safe and go back to shooting at shorter ranges.
Look at for-sale ads and you will see that most extreme range rifles are sold used with less than 100 rounds through them.

This is EXACTLY why I don't own one of these types of rifles.

Last time I was at the store and they were trying to talk me into a .416 that was my only reason I kept telling them.. "I'll never shoot it. I might get to a range beyond 200 yards once every year, MAYBE."

For me, it would be "neat" to have, but I'll never use it. A good Remington 700 will be more than enough for me for the distances I will need, probably even overkill.

CSACANNONEER
09-07-2008, 7:58 AM

I totally agree with you. I even know many Ca. 50BMG owners who have yet to scope or shoot their guns and many more who have only done it once. I even remember meeting this guy at Angeles who, after four years, was finally breaking in his new Viper. I bet he has yet to take it out on a second date. I wonder if that keyboard command will ever shoot it again?

Anyway, you guys can believe Randall. He's a stand up guy who is practicing what he's preaching! Maybe, if I keep poking him with sharp sticks, he'll dust his still new Viper off and drag it out to a 1000 yard match or two. Or, at least take it out to Angeles again.

BTW, when I got my first 50, I vowed not to be one of "those guys" and decided to learn all I could about my investment and the only way I felt that I could justify owning a 50 (or two) was that I needed to enjoy using it.

50 Shooter
09-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Most of the guys that I know of that have .50's had never shot their rifles past the local ranges length. That all ended when I took them out to the desert, now most have shot out to 1000 yards+.

If you think shooting a .50 will put a smile on your face, wait until you see what a mile or more will do.:D

brando
09-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Yup, most folks won't stretch the round out to the extreme ranges it shines. That's why I just recommend a .338 Lapua Magnum instead. The average .338LM build is lighter, less bulky and can reach out to 1600m accurately (2000m with the right loads). A .408 will own it past 1600m though.

PGKFFL
09-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Go out and get a .416 Kalifornia has not outlawed that yet.:cool2:

ar15barrels
09-07-2008, 1:05 PM
I even remember meeting this guy at Angeles who, after four years, was finally breaking in his new Viper. I bet he has yet to take it out on a second date. I wonder if that keyboard command will ever shoot it again?

Guilty as charged.
However, I'll have you know that I did just buy a 5.5-22 Nightforce scope that's destined for the Viper.
I'm only "borrowing" that scope for my 308 match rifle until the FFP nightforce scopes come out.
Once they come out, the 5.5-22 NXS will find a permanent home on the Viper.
Then I WILL be taking it out more often.
When Ben tells you that I took delivery of some bullets, you can expect to see me shortly afterwards.

And what difference does it make if I happen to be shooting my 308 at 1000yds instead of my 50?
At least I'm shooting 1000yds right?

My 243 I am building should be good practice for the 50.
It's going to have the same trajectory, but twice as much wind drift at 1K.
If I can keep the 243 on target, it should be easier with the 50...

CSACANNONEER
09-07-2008, 3:00 PM
Go out and get a .416 Kalifornia has not outlawed that yet.:cool2:

Already been covered in this thread. There are many reasons not to go with a .416 and there are plenty of other 50cal options still available in Ca.

Randall,

Hurry up and get your Viper ready. Rumor has it that there may be a FCSA match within a few hours of us by early next year!

ar15barrels
09-07-2008, 3:37 PM
Hurry up and get your Viper ready. Rumor has it that there may be a FCSA match within a few hours of us by early next year!

Tell it to nightforce...
I'm not sacrificing my little target rifles for my big target rifle.
Both will have to co-exist once the new scopes are available for my little target rifles.

xxG3xx
09-21-2008, 4:22 PM
well i have been searching and i think 338 is the caliber for me....now heres the rifle im looking at in FDE

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-rifles-tactical-tac-338.php#a

CSACANNONEER
09-21-2008, 5:25 PM
Personally, I'd be more than happy with any Mc Bros gun! IIRC, there's an add up at the Agoura Hills Target Range for a never fired AI in 338L. I think it comes with glass as well. Either gun would be a tack driver!

X-NewYawker
09-21-2008, 5:58 PM
I appreciate you long range guys. 50 BMG and 338 Lapua are not fun guns to shoot, muzzle brakes and lead sleds and all that other crap aside.
I've shot them, but never in a place to see what the ballistcics could do at thes terminal distances.

Where do you guys shoot the long range stuff and what is the furthest you've shot?

ar15barrels
09-21-2008, 6:07 PM
Where do you guys shoot the long range stuff and what is the furthest you've shot?

We have a spot out in the desert with plates to 1K, but you can certainly shoot to 1500+yds if your rangefinder goes that far.

There's actually going to be a calguns meet there on October 12th.
Perhaps you should get your short range dope nailed down and run some longrange dope numbers to come and try.

Pick a random rock, lazer it, adjust your scope and fire.
It's mean fun.

X-NewYawker
09-21-2008, 9:17 PM
PM me and I'll try to get out there.

ar15barrels
09-21-2008, 9:29 PM
The thread is in the shoots and meets forum.

CSACANNONEER
09-22-2008, 4:48 AM
Personally, I've only shot out to 1 mile and only 1000 yards while shooting at paper. I do know a few guys that have had special scope bases made and have done a few informal 2 mile benchrest shoots. But, remember that shooting at 2 miles is cutting edge stuff. I was told that they shot at a rock, approximatly 15' in dia and were able to hit it about 80% of the time. Again, they had special equipment made for this and are or have been some of the top shooters in their discipline.