PDA

View Full Version : LASD getting their new 870's

scrat
08-30-2008, 7:51 AM
Here are the specs of the long awaited shotguns
OK...The base gun is the 870 Police 3". Finish appears to be park'd (I was wondering if they'd base the guns on the cheaper express model. They did not). Barrel is indeed 18" and the tube is a standard 4rd capacity. The trigger guard is plastic like the current Police model.

So that's pretty much it for "standard". Starting from the muzzle and working back here are the specs/features:

XS Express Sights (Yup...I thought it was gonna be std. Rem adjustables...I really like the sights and they seem like they'll be much more durable.

Mesa Tactical Front Sling Swivel (More on this later)

SureFire LED Integrated Forend light

Mesa Tactical 4rd Sidesaddle

Knoxx SpecOps Recoil Reducing/Collapsable stock

Royal Arms Bungee sling

OK...So that's the rundown...but there's a bit more...Each shotgun is engraved (Pre-Park...a factory thing) with "Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department" on the right side of the receiver below the ejection port, and the serial numbers all begin with LASD00XXXX (however many numbers there are...)

So now the not-so-cool... First, I'm not yet certified. I should be able to rectify this by the end of September though. I was a bit wrong in that they've been running academies and patrol schools with the new 870 for a month or two, so there are at least a few deps certified as of now. I think there is going to be a big push to get people up to speed as quick as possible.

The not-so-cool thing about the gun that I found is the front sling swivel. It is designed so that the sling can move from the right to left side depending on who's carrying it. That's cool. The problem is that the sling seems to often want to sit in a position preventing the light protruding from the forend from moving forward. Now the dept. tested this gun pretty well, so maybe with some more practice/proper sling use, etc. it won't be an issue. (I was only able to handle the weapon for a few minutes, and can't really go all simulated tactical crazy in the armory without getting in some sort of hot water...)

OK...Now to see if I can make pictures work...See my next post for frustrated venting or (hopefully) pictures...
Taken from THR

scrat
08-30-2008, 7:52 AM
now the pics
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q77/scratm3/DSC01283.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q77/scratm3/DSC01285.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q77/scratm3/DSC01286.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q77/scratm3/DSC01287.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q77/scratm3/DSC01288.jpg

gunsnrovers
08-30-2008, 8:01 AM
I wonder if we'll see trade in's on the street any time soon. Been a few years since I've seen a bunch of police guns on the market.

scrat
08-30-2008, 8:03 AM
i heard that they were giving the older pos shotguns to the lapd.

by the way nice signature. can i use the pic

gunsnrovers
08-30-2008, 8:19 AM
Actually, the LAPD used Ithaca's and went to the 870 a while ago. LASD, AFAIK, got a bunch of the old LAPD Ithaca's for parts, spares, etc.

I'd love a LASD Ithaca to go with my LAPD one. :)

Use the sig pic. I got if off the Hillary Clinton forum! :)

PatriotnMore
08-30-2008, 9:12 AM
Good looking.
I like the retaining pins for the bolt assembly, I am not sure if all the new 870 have that? Mine is an old one with the push pin type, and after mulitple removals the pin can become sloppy and work itself loose in the field which is a pain in the ***, now I have to use a dot of super glue to keep this from happening.

kpblade
08-30-2008, 9:24 AM
Good looking.
I like the retaining pins for the bolt assembly, I am not sure if all the new 870 have that? Mine is an old one with the push pin type, and after mulitple removals the pin can become sloppy and work itself loose in the field which is a pain in the ***, now I have to use a dot of super glue to keep this from happening.

I think those are the pins/screws that hold the Mesa Side Saddle in place.

PatriotnMore
08-30-2008, 9:34 AM
I think those are the pins/screws that hold the Mesa Side Saddle in place.

Good call, I didn't think about that, I am going to have to try and find those for mine.

Moonclip
09-02-2008, 1:11 AM
I'd be amazed if the old Ithacas are allowed to be sold to the "civilians". The posts on THR about them say they are quite worn anyhow. Some with broken stocks and such.

bonjing
09-02-2008, 8:55 AM
Good looking.

I just got my 870P not to long ago and it still has the standard push pins. the ones in the picture are from MESA Tactical. they give you those pins when you order the ide saddle.

why does the quote say that it has a plastic trigger guard? if i'm not mistaken i thought the trigger housing is either steel or aluminum. sure doensn't feel or look like plastic on mine.

Black Majik
09-02-2008, 9:12 AM
I'm also wondering if the triggerguard discription is correct? A plastic trigger guard on a Police model doesn't sound right to me?

Also interesting to see they didn't utilize a magazine extension on these 870s. Anyone know if it was for durability reasons?

Thanks for the interesting report on the LASD's new shotguns. Unique way to spec out a 870. That bungee cord sling looks... well, it's different.

1911su16b870
09-02-2008, 9:27 AM
Sweet 870s! I wonder why only 4-round Mesa's?

DedEye
09-02-2008, 11:39 PM
Sweet 870s! I wonder why only 4-round Mesa's?

I was wondering why only 4 round mag tubes :confused:?

Moonclip
09-02-2008, 11:50 PM
I was wondering why only 4 round mag tubes :confused:?

Don't want to encourage spray and pray? I hope this wasn't the reasoning.

I have heard some people actually don't like extended tubes, feeling the standard balances better.

Gnome
09-02-2008, 11:53 PM
I just had the pleasure of riding with a LASD Deputy who is already trained on this shotgun. Super sweet gun. Our Ithacas are just BEAT (Missing front sights, broken or cracked stocks, cracked forends)!

These 870s were sorely needed. Beautiful shotguns (Surefire forend w/ LED light, Knoxx spec ops collapsible buttstock, 6 round side saddle). The only lame thing on the gon is the damn bungee sling.

The Department now has to train about 10,000 deputies on this shotgun! A lot different from the Ithacas. He told me that a lot of the females are having trouble qualifying on the new 870s. I guess it's too heavy for some of them.

I can't wait to get trained on it! Eight hours of shooting. On The County's dime! Count me in!

bohoki
09-03-2008, 9:30 AM
a bungee cord for a sling?

Infidel
09-03-2008, 11:06 AM
:Ivan:

Those things are sweet!!!

Timberwolf
09-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Anyone know where the Ithaca's are going to - would love to get a trade in

rg_1111@yahoo.com
09-03-2008, 4:54 PM
They will probably sell the old Ithaca's. The 870s look good.

Gnome
09-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Anyone know where the Ithaca's are going to - would love to get a trade in

I sent an email to our dept armorer asking the same , but I never received an answer. One of two armorers for a dept of 10,000 keeps him kinda busy. I'm gonna try another source for info.