PDA

View Full Version : Issue with my AR-15 bolt. I need help.

Exposed
08-30-2008, 12:06 AM
Every time I go to the range its the same problem. After putting about 100 rounds through my rifle the charging handle starts pushing the bolt forward slower and slower until the bolt just stops feeding rounds into the chamber completely. I take my rifle home, brake it down, clean and oil it then take it back out later on. The same thing happens every time I go to the range. At first I thought I wasnt using enough oil so I added more oil. It continued so I figured, perhaps Im using too much oil and the gun powder is making the bolt get really dirty and causing it to slow down after a 100 rounds so I put less oil. It is still happening. When I take it home and clean it it works fine every time I take it back out, but after a 100 rounds or so, the problem starts back up again. What do you guys think is causing the bolt to work so slowly and not be able to chamber a round? Anyone ever experienced this before?

bwiese
08-30-2008, 12:09 AM
What brand rifle/upper do you have?
Does it have a chrome-lined chamber/bbl?
Are you using Wolf ammo?

Exposed
08-30-2008, 12:26 AM
Stag quad rail upper chrome lined chambered for both 5.56 and .223 ammo. I dont use wolf, but I do use some re-loads.

VAHEVAHE
08-30-2008, 12:35 AM
Every time I go to the range its the same problem. After putting about 100 rounds through my rifle the charging handle starts pushing the bolt forward slower and slower until the bolt just stops feeding rounds into the chamber completely. I take my rifle home, brake it down, clean and oil it then take it back out later on. The same thing happens every time I go to the range. At first I thought I wasnt using enough oil so I added more oil. It continued so I figured, perhaps Im using too much oil and the gun powder is making the bolt get really dirty and causing it to slow down after a 100 rounds so I put less oil. It is still happening. When I take it home and clean it it works fine every time I take it back out, but after a 100 rounds or so, the problem starts back up again. What do you guys think is causing the bolt to work so slowly and not be able to chamber a round? Anyone ever experienced this before?

The only issue i see is that your rifle is getting excessively dirty, i believe that this is because of the reloads that you are using, try regular ammo and see how it works.

Another thing is dont lube up the ar too much, try running it lightly oiled

Exposed
08-30-2008, 12:46 AM
hmmmm, reloads could very well be the reason. Damn, I have about 1000 .223 reloads I bought at a gun show but I can only enjoy 100 at a time. I bought 1500 and have only used 500 of them in the last 4 months because of this on going issue. I might just have to take lube and field strip my rifle at the range and do some cleaning as I shoot.

sb_pete
08-30-2008, 12:52 AM
Sounds like the perfect reason to buy a Saiga .223 and then some better ammo for the AR:D:p

VAHEVAHE
08-30-2008, 1:10 AM
hmmmm, reloads could very well be the reason. Damn, I have about 1000 .223 reloads I bought at a gun show but I can only enjoy 100 at a time. I bought 1500 and have only used 500 of them in the last 4 months because of this on going issue. I might just have to take lube and field strip my rifle at the range and do some cleaning as I shoot.

Buy a can of gun scrubber and spray some onto the bolt ever 50 rounds you should be good.

jandmtv
08-30-2008, 5:12 AM
What a surprise, he is having a problem with a Stag upper....

Turbinator
08-30-2008, 5:54 AM

Ok, so then I guess it isn't a surprise that I'm not having any trouble with mine?

Turby

tankerman
08-30-2008, 6:11 AM
The only issue i see is that your rifle is getting excessively dirty, i believe that this is because of the reloads that you are using, try regular ammo and see how it works.

Does "regular ammo" use clean powder and reloads use dirty powder?

Before making the assumption that his reloads are dirty it would be a good idea to find out what powder he is using. Then it would be easier to draw a conclusion, if you know which powders burn dirty.

I think there is something else wrong, 100 rounds is not much and it sounds like the issue start right out of the blocks and just gets worse until the gun is non-op.

Okami
08-30-2008, 6:42 AM
Read this http://www.ar15.com/content/swat/keepitrunning.pdf
And run some factory 5.56 through and see how it goes...:chris:

AR-15 Rep
08-30-2008, 6:53 AM
There could be numerous problems with this one. The tolerances for the bcg may just be that tight that it only takes a little grit to bind it up. Still have to narrow it down to the Carrier not sliding the way it should. I would look for a wear pattern on all parts, charging handle, gas tube etc. and if you can post some pics.

mikecro1
08-30-2008, 6:54 AM

2500+ rounds NO ISSUES whatsoever...with my Stag....:D

tankerman
08-30-2008, 7:00 AM
Read this http://www.ar15.com/content/swat/keepitrunning.pdf
And run some factory 5.56 through and see how it goes...:chris:
Had no idea "Vagisil" was what the military used to lubricate.........their guns.

Tactical Support
08-30-2008, 7:04 AM
I have had a few like this in the shop. Mainly tight tolerances and more oil in the bolt. Try using FP10 or machine gunners lube. Its probably not the ammo. All ammo is Dirty some just a bit less dirty.

You 'll know there is enough oil when you see a vapor trail behind the spent brass in flight.

sbchero
08-30-2008, 8:18 AM
if you got the ammo from milwall then its not the ammo. ive put 3000+ rounds of milwall reloads through my ar (stag upper) w/o one problem.
id look somewhere else.

bwiese
08-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Run some factory ammo (Win, Rem, Fed) thru your rifle.

Use the chamber brush to vigorously scrub the chamber down - it may have some old guck in it.

Use BreakfreeCLP for lube, don't use other stuff, don't use grease.

Follow the USGI manual. See where that gets you and report back.

bohoki
08-30-2008, 11:40 AM
maybe its just me but ive never had a charging handle push a bolt carrier forward

apbrian112
08-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Run some factory ammo (Win, Rem, Fed) thru your rifle.

Use the chamber brush to vigorously scrub the chamber down - it may have some old guck in it.

Use BreakfreeCLP for lube, don't use other stuff, don't use grease.

Follow the USGI manual. See where that gets you and report back.

+1... worked fine for me in the sandbox, and i definately shot more than 100 rounds inbetween thorough cleanings. my regular routine (once every couple of days) would be to take the bolt out, wipe it down, spray some clp in there and that was it!

which reloads were you using? i bought some reloads once that were just a little out of spec, they were too long and would stick in my chamber and every now and again i'd have a FTE.

like the others said, check for uneven or excessive wear on parts...

and for the record, i've never had a problem with my stag uppers (had 2, only have 1 now) and actually use a stag upper for my race set-up.

jandmtv
08-30-2008, 2:34 PM
2500+ rounds NO ISSUES whatsoever...with my Stag....:D

And Im very happy for you. All Im trying to point out is that at least once a week, you will see a new post about someone having a problem with their stag upper. Not Armalite, not RRA, not CMMG, but stag!

Im not saying RRA/CMMG/Armalite has never made a lemon upper, but if you look at the numbers, Stag takes the cake when it comes to sheetty uppers that have problems left and right.

I just dont get why people buy Stag, when for about the same price they can get one of the other 3.

Just my 2c.

Centurion_D
08-30-2008, 2:55 PM
Try using some slip 2000. Stuff works real good and doesn't gum up like break free. As far as lubrication a good coat all over the BCG and the internals should be enough.

NuGunner
08-30-2008, 2:57 PM
just pull back your charging handle and let it ride. Or does the bolt get caught up when you do this?

Prowler
08-30-2008, 3:46 PM
Have you tried another bolt carrier assembly, just for a process of elimination?

tophatjones
08-30-2008, 4:40 PM
FYI, don't coat your entire upper and bc with lube. If you look closely, the bolt carrier really only moves on four rails. Lube those rails, lube the bolt and bolt carrier contact, lube the upper where the four rails contact, lube the upper where the bolt cam pin contacts, and you're gtg. Any excess lube will exacerbate carbon build up.

Beelzy
08-30-2008, 7:01 PM
Do what others said to do for the rifle. As for the ammo, pull a bullet from
the reloads and one from good factory ammo and dump the powder into
little piles and burn them. Check to see which leaves more residue, I'll bet its
the ammo.

Some reloaders load ammo a little too frugally with the powder, or flat out
use the cheapest "all-around" powder a little TOO far around.

Dirty ammo means a dirty gun, so keep it clean. My AR gets cleaned every
500 rounds, if that. I also keep it lightly lubed.

supersonic
08-30-2008, 9:35 PM
Ok, so then I guess it isn't a surprise that I'm not having any trouble with mine?

Turby

Turb-
I believe it was meant only so that one could just see one's own post, useless and without merit as it may have been.;)

OP: I didn't read through the entire thread, but my first course of action, if I am understanding your problem correctly, would be to do a thorough "flush out/cleaning" of the gas system; from as deep as you can get into the key w/ micro-stainless brush (Brownell's has one just for this purpose), all the way forward through the tube, ending with the port itself. OH, and as far as "too much oil"...............there's no such thing when it comes to an AR15 BCG. If I'm not mistaken, it was the AR Master, himself, who once said, and I'm paraphrasing here: "An Ar-15, if it is running properly, should leave a "spray" of oil on your eye protection every time you fire a round..." - Ned Christiansen:)

ar15barrels
08-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Loose gas key screws allow more leakage as the carrier heats up.
Carbine gas system tries to extract pre-maturely.
Lack of oil or crappy oil is not keeping the bolt lubed in the carrier.

Try another bolt carrier group from a known-good rifle.
Re-stake and correct any deficiencies found on the existing bolt carrier group.
Try a heavier buffer to keep the gun from unlocking as quickly.
Use a good oil like Weaponshield EWL or Slip2000 EWL, or even Breakfree CLP.