PDA

View Full Version : How to open a spam can of surplus ammo

jcaoloveshine
08-29-2008, 7:57 PM
Anyone here have a good way of opening these sealed cans?

caduckgunner
08-29-2008, 8:00 PM
There should be a little "key" looking thing and a small tab at the top of th can. The tab goes into the hole in the key, and you twist the key. The tab is attached to band that wraps around the top of the can.

EOD3
08-29-2008, 8:02 PM
I know of no good way to open one other than with the can opener... Think P38 on a jack handle. Yeah, I know, worthless info if you don't have one. I used a pair of vice-grips to open my first one.

VegasND
08-29-2008, 8:07 PM
Next time you buy a spam can ask for one of these:
http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product1328.html

FTC
08-29-2008, 8:09 PM
hammer and screwdriver! just tap it in...

djbooya
08-29-2008, 8:09 PM
Next time you buy a spam can ask for one of these:
http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product1328.html

That's the can opener that came with mine...you can always bring your can into a store selling spam cans and ask if you can just borrow the opener to crack your cans open...

bohoki
08-29-2008, 8:18 PM
remember you dont have to open the can like you would a can of tuna you only need to open about 3 inches of one side then start taking out the litttle boxes or wraps

then the others should just fall out or be shaken out of the opening

i suggest wearing gloves and have pliers to lift the flap

we dont want any wrap rage injuries

i have a couple of the canopenersa little tip wrap the handle with some duct tape

VegasND
08-29-2008, 8:21 PM
That's the can opener that came with mine...you can always bring your can into a store selling spam cans and ask if you can just borrow the opener to crack your cans open...

I never thought of doing that because I do like to keep them sealed until I want to use the ammo and the store may not be open or convenient when I'm ready to use it. So, it's nice to have one of my own. I was given one the first time I bought a couple of spam cans (every time I've bought sealed cans they wouldn't give you an opener unless you bought at least 2 cans). I only keep one around--no moving parts to break, I can't see how I'd need a 2nd one, so extras are given away. If I currently had an extra I'd offer to send it to the OP.

Ballistic043
08-29-2008, 8:23 PM
all my nagant tins come with pre scored edges. just pull back the exposed tab and the silver solder comes right up from the sides. the top comes right off and takes about 30 seconds

otherwise i use a flathead & Hammer and/or vise grips

just be careful not to damage the ammo :)

SJgunguy24
08-29-2008, 8:35 PM
Use a set of tin snips. If you have reds and greens,should be in 2 pieces in 1 min.

762cavalier
08-29-2008, 8:43 PM
Hmmm I just used an angle grinder and cut the top off.;) Gotta be careful not to go too deep and carve up the ammo inside:eek:

technique
08-29-2008, 9:11 PM
I also have used a screwdriver and hammer, and my AK bayonet and hammer.

caldude
08-29-2008, 9:12 PM
I haven't had much luck with that cheesy can opener. I can get the cans open better with a chisel and hammer, just tap lightly and you can quickly work the chisel around the edges.

M. Sage
08-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Hmmm I just used an angle grinder and cut the top off.;) Gotta be careful not to go too deep and carve up the ammo inside:eek:

So... I should use my die grinder and not the torch?

Nuts... I was looking forward to breaking out the gas ax this weekend. :eek:

sb_pete
08-29-2008, 10:42 PM

Man I was gonna throw that out as a joke, but.... ok:chris::chris:

Seriously though, that sounds like it has a relatively high probability of resulting in catastrophic failure.

You could always head down to the fire station and ask to borrow the Jaws of Life:D
-Pete

SJgunguy24
08-29-2008, 10:46 PM
If you want it open NOW 2lbs of Tannerite:43::43: You really didn't want to shoot the ammo ........right

shellyzsweet
08-29-2008, 10:50 PM
"honey open this for me!"
-hands can to bf who promptly gets out pliers...hammers...screwdrivers and eventually gets powder lead on him....
thats how I do it!!!

-or try a can opener thingy