PDA

View Full Version : Took the scatter gun plunge..

leitung
08-29-2008, 3:17 PM
So I was BSing around Big 5 today, and I walked out with a sales slip for a Charles Daly Field Tactical 12 Gauge with the 18'in barrel. After my mom passed away I found over $130 in misc cash around her room, so that paid for a portion of it. I consider an investment in my education, as I am a police cadet heading to Level II in the spring, I need to practice with the shotgun.

Tell me, where can I get some cheap 12 gauge buckshot & slugs? I grabbed some at Sportsman's warehouse along with some estate sport loads for fun, but I need to practice with buckshot & slugs..

Ballistic043
08-29-2008, 3:32 PM
ammunitiontogo.com has some of the best prices on shells.

if you want good buck, buy the federal tactical 00. they are at around 1125 FPS, 9 pellets copper plated, 8.14mm, with very moderate kick and have a grouping tighter than anything else on the market.

the truball tactical slugs are equally as remarkable. if you want the best for academy & LEO duty usage, these are what you need. just make sure they are approved for usage in your area..

CHS
08-29-2008, 3:44 PM
Reload :)

I've got access to molds for buckshot and two styles and sizes of slugs.

Ballistic043
08-29-2008, 3:50 PM
yes, reloading is a way to save money. but only if you shoot a crapload of ammunition. consider the cost of scales dies and presses, the shot the hulls and cups, it will quickly add up unless you shoot ALOT.

in my opinion, if you are going into duty then you need to practice with the ammo that you will be using on the beat. and if you cant, use the next best and most affordable thing. i realize qualifying with shotgun isnt the most difficult thing to do, just be sure to practice with the right ammo

08-29-2008, 4:46 PM
I usually get my buckshot from walmart.

rrr70
08-29-2008, 5:51 PM
I usually get my buckshot from walmart.

+1 on Walmart.

SJgunguy24
08-29-2008, 7:38 PM
Wally World has 1oz slugs 2 3/4" at 1600 fps I was hittin' steel at 100 yrds. with my 590 If your gonna shoot slugs or anything heavy get agressive and lean into the shot,dump 4 shells and you will be upright.

Crusader
08-30-2008, 7:22 AM
Walmart has decent prices on buckshot. But Ammunitiontogo.com and Cabelas.com also has good prices.