PDA

View Full Version : Question about AR mag locks.

Sailormilan2
08-29-2008, 6:17 AM
Since the DOJ has determined that a "detachable magazine" is not detachable if it requires a tool to remove it, then having a hi-cap mag in an AR type rifle does not turn it into a dreaded "assault rifle" correct?
Or does it then fall under the "greater than 10 rd fixed mag" definition?
I can legally get hi cap mags, but I have no AR type rifle. I tried to get Departmental permission to buy one prior to retirement, but my CS Department refused to authorize my purchase as I was going to retire in a few months. I have now gone back to work on a part time basis, so I can now purchase Hi Cap mags again, and I have been flirting with the idea of getting an AR.
If I posted here in error, I apologize. I wasn't sure whether to do it here or in "2nd Amendment".

Paratus et Vigilans
08-29-2008, 7:27 AM
Don't EVER put a mag in a fixed mag OLL build (either BB or Prince50 or otherwise) that will take more than 10 rounds.

Fixed mag build + over 10 round mag = AW

If you go featureless on your AR build (fixed stock, no flash hider, no PG) and use a standard mag release button, then you can use a 10+ round mag in it.

Crazy, I know, but that's the deal.

Hope that clears it up for you a little bit. :)

Intimid8tor
08-29-2008, 7:28 AM
I believe over 10 rounds fixed makes an "assault weapon"

aplinker
08-30-2008, 10:42 PM
I believe over 10 rounds fixed makes an "assault weapon"

it does, as the penal code specifically prohibits fixed magazine rifles with a capacity larger than 10rds.

Quiet
08-31-2008, 2:57 PM
CA Penal Code 12276.1
(a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

bohoki
08-31-2008, 4:47 PM
yes they also wanted to ban the sks's with fixed large capacity magazines

neat thing if you registered yous sks with fixed large capacity i suppose you could go full on and use detachables the thing is even using 10 round detachables makes an sks an assault weapon

BP88
08-31-2008, 4:52 PM
I love how the CA DOJ thinks banning hi-caps stops crime.

scotthmt
08-31-2008, 6:38 PM
take this hypothetical situation for example.

Someone breaks into your house and you have reason to believe they have a weapon, you grab your AR or AK or whatever it may be with a pistol grip/mag lock, and the closest magazine is a 30 rounder ( because you have a mmg and often switch back and forth. You shoot and kill said intruder, is what you have done illegal?

nobs11
08-31-2008, 6:41 PM
take this hypothetical situation for example.

Someone breaks into your house and you have reason to believe they have a weapon, you grab your AR or AK or whatever it may be with a pistol grip/mag lock, and the closest magazine is a 30 rounder ( because you have a mmg and often switch back and forth. You shoot and kill said intruder, is what you have done illegal?

Contrived situation. Keep your 30 rounders away from your home defense gun in that case. Besides, I think an AR is a bad choice for shooting intruders indoors.

And to answer the question, yes, you will end up with an illegally configured AW. Whether the homicide was justified will be evaluated based on the evidence.