PDA

View Full Version : Finally, Dick Heller Registers Revolver in D.C.

lioneaglegriffin
08-28-2008, 11:38 AM
August 25, 2008

Finally, Dick Heller Registers Revolver in D.C.
By GR Staff

The Associated Press has reported that Dick Heller, the man whose lawsuit overturned Washington's handgun ban, has successfully registered his revolver, ending a more than 30-year wait to keep the weapon in his home.

Dick Heller walked out of D.C. police headquarters last week clutching a yellow firearms registration certificate stamped "approved." He gave the thumbs-up sign, grinned and said, "Victory!"

Heller was among the first people to seek a gun permit under new rules adopted after the Supreme Court struck down the city's 32-year-old handgun ban in June. Heller was the plaintiff in that case. He won approval to keep a .22-caliber revolver at home after coming to police headquarters in July to be fingerprinted and take a firearms proficiency test. Police approved the weapon after completing a background check.

firecaptdave
08-28-2008, 11:39 AM
After all that he's only got a .22?

Centurion_D
08-28-2008, 11:42 AM
After all that he's only got a .22?

Oh I'm pretty sure he's gonna add some new toys to his collection if you know what I mean..:D

Full Clip
08-28-2008, 11:43 AM
Maybe it's all he can afford.

lioneaglegriffin
08-28-2008, 11:49 AM
i guess if he tried to register a .357 the Folks in DC would have said it overkill, too much power for a lowly serf. :rolleyes:

Crazed_SS
08-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Where can a DC resident actually by a gun?

Matt C
08-28-2008, 12:04 PM

No where, is my understanding.

CCWFacts
08-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Now, watch what happens next. Blood on the streets! Cops will need to drive around in armored cars because there will be shootings everywhere they go! It will look like Baghdad on its worst day! All because they let one guy register a revolver after extensive background checks and registration.

Matt C
08-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Now, watch what happens next. Blood on the streets! Cops will need to drive around in armored cars because there will be shootings everywhere they go! It will look like Baghdad on its worst day!

LOL, DC is already like that, I felt safer in Iraq.

lioneaglegriffin
08-28-2008, 12:14 PM

either you had one before the ban or you don't have one at all.

E Pluribus Unum
08-28-2008, 1:31 PM
either you had one before the ban or you don't have one at all.

Or you moved there with one....

Or you had one illegally... :)

Ironchef
08-28-2008, 1:45 PM
i guess if he tried to register a .357 the Folks in DC would have said it overkill, too much power for a lowly serf. :rolleyes:

NOooononononoo... A .357 revolover is a machine gun! Duh.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's some groups around this country that'd be happy to buy Dick Heller a full array of firearms, as a thank you. I can just imagine Heller returning with a van full of guns that he's going to be registering!

fullrearview
08-28-2008, 2:37 PM

after 32 years of court battles all i would be able to afford would be my finger gun!

liketoshoot
08-28-2008, 2:37 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if there's some groups around this country that'd be happy to buy Dick Heller a full array of firearms, as a thank you. I can just imagine Heller returning with a van full of guns that he's going to be registering!

Does that come with a fixed clip?

lioneaglegriffin
08-28-2008, 3:54 PM
Or you moved there with one....

Or you had one illegally... :)

i thought you couldn't bring one from the states. so aren't the first and second options one and the same?

Ironchef
08-28-2008, 3:57 PM
Does that come with a fixed clip?

I could be mistaken, but I believe a fixed clip is also considered a machine gun in D.C. And if I'm not mistaken, some kids were arrested for possession of a machine gun when they were blue darting in public!

Nevermore
08-28-2008, 4:31 PM
It was my understanding that he has a place in Maryland, where he keeps all those baby-killing, self-mobile, self-loading guns that DC is so afraid of.

yellowfin
08-28-2008, 4:55 PM
So when's he going to sue for carry rights?

ke6guj
08-28-2008, 4:57 PM
and it only racked up $3.5 million in legal fees to get the Heller ruling.

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/the-bill-for-heller-35-million/#more-7828Lawyers who won the historic Second Amendment gun rights case in the Supreme Court — District of Columbia v. Heller (07-290) — on Monday asked a federal judge to award them more than $3.5 million for attorneys’ fees, plus $13,215.30 for expenses and court costs. In a motion and memorandum filed with U.S. District Judge Emmet G. Sullivan, the attorneys said that they had achieved “one of the most profound and important victories available under our system of justice.”

yellowfin
08-28-2008, 5:04 PM
^ Not a bad thing if they make Fenty foot the bill himself.

otteray
08-28-2008, 5:27 PM
Now, watch what happens next. Blood on the streets! Cops will need to drive around in armored cars because there will be shootings everywhere they go! It will look like Baghdad on its worst day! All because they let one guy register a revolver after extensive background checks and registration.

I just returned from Grant's Pass, Oregon.
While there, on the way to target practicing at the local and really nice multi-use shooing range, we pulled into a sporting goods store.
My son-in-law pointed out a couple of pickup trucks in the parking lot, with rifles mounted on rear window racks.
I was astounded that no dead or injured folks were lying in pools of blood!

CrippledPidgeon
08-28-2008, 8:31 PM

Well I thought that he has a 1911 pattern machine gun in Maryland, but can't register that in D.C., so he had to register his revolver.

Solidmch
08-28-2008, 9:11 PM

after all his lawyer fees he is lucky to have that...:D

Guntech
08-28-2008, 9:25 PM

He just took a lawsuit to the supreme court and won I think he can afford more than most of us.

ke6guj
08-28-2008, 10:02 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if there's some groups around this country that'd be happy to buy Dick Heller a full array of firearms, as a thank you. I can just imagine Heller returning with a van full of guns that he's going to be registering!I know that the Team Members at AR15.com took up a collection to build a couple custom 1911s for Heller and Gura. Heller is receptive to one, Gura passed so the second one is going to Heller's lawyer friend who suggested Heller apply for the pistol permit so he could be formally denied. That one thing saved the entire Heller/Parker suit. Last I heard, the tally was around 5 grand.

after 32 years of court battles all i would be able to afford would be my finger gun!
He just took a lawsuit to the supreme court and won I think he can afford more than most of us.AFAIK, Levy funded the entire suit; Heller, Parker, and the rest of the plantiffs were hand-picked for their collective standings, not for their bank accounts.

TheDM
08-29-2008, 6:17 AM

At the corner of 2nd and P street in Southeast.

Oh, you meant legally.