PDA

View Full Version : Orange County Sheriff Race 2010

GuyW
08-27-2008, 11:48 PM
OK, I'm an OC outsider, but I'm interested in the success of the largest possible CCW program in OC.

That program will not happen without replacing the LA Intruder...

2 years is NOT a lot of time to gather money, supporters, endorsements, voters, and create independent expenditure committees.

I'd hope that gunowners could coalesce behind Bill Hunt (as he shared emails with me during the last Sheriff's race) who as you know is very CCW friendly.
Edited in regarding Bill Hunt: See post 3 below

SO - who's up in the race?

Has anyone officially opened a committee to raise money with the OC Registrar of Voters?

RomanDad
08-28-2008, 7:00 AM
OK, I'm an OC outsider, but I'm interested in the success of the largest possible CCW program in OC.

That program will not happen without replacing the LA Intruder...

2 years is NOT a lot of time to gather money, supporters, endorsements, voters, and create independent expenditure committees.

I'd hope that gunowners could coalesce behind Bill Hunt (as he shared emails with me during the last Sheriff's race) who as you know is very CCW friendly.

SO - who's up in the race?

Has anyone officially opened a committee to raise money with the OC Registrar of Voters?

Candidates are as yet unknown, but there are some obvious contenders....

But...

http://www.redcounty.com/orange-county/2008/08/antihutchens-ccw-group-formed/

GuyW
08-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Great video, RomanDad!

To answer my own question about Bill Hunt....

He responded to me tonight that he's not interested , partially because he feels that the CCW and 2nd Amendment crowd didn't follow through in the last campaign with the promised financial support, etc.

"It's virtually impossible to unseat an incumbent, as I learned the hard way. And you'll never do it over one issue, especially when the people who believe in that issue don't step up and take action."

I sincerely hope we NEVER hear that indictment of the pro-gun community again!

RomanDad
08-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Well... SOMEBODY is going to run... Thats a given. We dont yet know who, but whoever does and supports a pro CCW agenda is going to have an AWFUL BIG SUPPORT crowd waiting for them.

As far as defeating an incumbent... Shes not REALLY an incumbent yet... She has yet to win election, she only had support of 3/5s of the BOS and she already has a ton of baggage in her first month with the badge....

firecaptdave
08-28-2008, 1:36 PM
Great video, RomanDad!

To answer my own question about Bill Hunt....

He responded to me that he's not interested, partially because he feels that the CCW and 2nd Amendment crowd didn't follow through the last campaign with the promised financial support, etc....

Does he want to keep his member name? http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=7022

He also still has his website, so he must be keeping his options open (unless the account is paid for way in advance.) http://billhuntforsheriff.com/

His CCW stance, as least prior to the recent sheriff getting appointed:

I will issue concealed weapons permits (CCW) to any applicant who is a law abiding resident of the county, meets state mandated requirements and is not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. There have been less than 1200 issued CCW's in a county of 3 million. The majority have been given to reserve police officers, judges, prosecutors and to reward political supporters. I will depoliticize the process and establish an annual audit to review each application to ensure the process is unbiased, non-political and equitable.

Johnny Diablo
08-28-2008, 1:52 PM
That could make the OC the safest place to live in Cali. I would have to sell and move in.

GuyW
08-28-2008, 1:58 PM
His CCW stance, as least prior to the recent sheriff getting appointed:
I will issue concealed weapons permits (CCW) to any applicant who is a law abiding resident of the county, meets state mandated requirements and is not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm. There have been less than 1200 issued CCW's in a county of 3 million. The majority have been given to reserve police officers, judges, prosecutors and to reward political supporters. I will depoliticize the process and establish an annual audit to review each application to ensure the process is unbiased, non-political and equitable.

He and I also had this email exchange in 2006:

(Me) "...What's 'good cause'??"

"Guy,
Personal protection would mean good cause to me.
Bill"

So, his heart has been right on CCWs, publically, at least since 2005.

But he says he's not running. I have no basis to disbelieve him.

eta34
08-28-2008, 2:09 PM
I can understand why he has no interest. Last time he ran he was demoted from Lt. to deputy and ultimately retired. Perhaps he is pretty jaded about law enforcement now.

M. D. Van Norman
08-28-2008, 2:49 PM
I voted for Bill Hunt last time. If he runs again, I will donate to his campaign.

IGOTDIRT4U
08-28-2008, 3:26 PM
I would have to believe his words that he communicated to GuyW that he has no intention of running again. Too bad. Maybe there is an equally good candidate out there?