And now Reeds

Thefeeder
08-27-2008, 11:10 PM
All in San Francisco

Abercrombe and Finch
F. Bob Chow
San Francisco Gun Exchange
Rooth Akins (spell ckeck)

+1 on Beeman's Remember the San Rafeal store?

kilword
08-28-2008, 12:09 AM
Hogans sporting goods in pleasant hill before they downsized their firearms department. They eventually went out of business due to owner retiring.

A store i loved was white bear on monument blvd in concord. sold tons of police supplies, military gear, and other neat stuff. A lot of people didnt know about it when it was open.

chuck762
08-28-2008, 12:19 AM
Beach cities armoury in hermosa beach

R&Js in redondo beach

The HQ in the carson mall

anthonyca
08-28-2008, 12:28 AM
guns and ammo in San Mateo

PRODRIVE
08-28-2008, 12:28 AM
code 3 in alhambra

Alan Block
08-28-2008, 12:50 AM
Safari guns

586L-Frame
08-28-2008, 1:21 AM
The ones I remembered growing-up in Sacramento
that are gone.

Simms Hardware on J st - Sacramento
Christy's Gun Works on H st - Sacramento
Branden's Guns on Folsom blvd - Sacramento
Dick Scherer's on Folsom Blvd - Sacramento
Old Sacramento Armory on J st - Sacramento
Bill Davis Company off of Harbor Blvd - West Sacramento

586L-Frame

gcvt
08-28-2008, 2:51 AM
All in San Francisco

Their prices were a bit high on many things but I had my shotgun transferred through them back in '93 or so and bought my P229 from them a few years later. I always got prompt helpful service, good advice, and they had a good selection of handguns that they let me fondle freely without attitude.

Oh, one more for The City is Big 5 on Sloat Blvd. If you needed some cheap .22 ammo or wanted a reasonably priced shotgun or 10/22 on sale, it was a quick trip. Next closest now is Daly City....but their new manager may actually have a head on his shoulders.

ghostwong
08-28-2008, 4:40 AM
National Gun Sales - Pasadena and Northridge
Pacific Wilderness - Monterey Park
F. Morton Pitt - San Gabriel
AMT - Irwindale

dizzy
08-28-2008, 5:25 AM
Tri-City sports in Fremont.
I remember walking in there during the 80's and seeing the AR-15s & Uzi's on the racks behind the counter. If I only had the money back then :(

brassburnz
08-28-2008, 5:37 AM
In L.A. County
Art's Guns-Reseda
Ernie Young-Hollywood
Shooter's Clinic-Northridge
Federal Ordnance-South El Monte

In San Diego
Dunn's Guns in Pacific Beach
The Gun Co. on Morena Blvd
Armand Swenson in Fallbrook

A little shop in National City that was owned by a SDPD officer
and later by a skinny, scraggly guy who shot long range precision rifles

Is Weisser's Sporting Goods in National City still there? That place was my favorite. Smitty had my wish list and would always let me know when something interesting came in.

I remember going in the back and going through boxes of guns to pick just the one I wanted. I hate it when I buy something today and get a "serial number from the warehouse." What a bunch of BS.

SDJim
08-28-2008, 6:07 AM
In L.A. County
Art's Guns-Reseda
Ernie Young-Hollywood
Shooter's Clinic-Northridge
Federal Ordnance-South El Monte

In San Diego
Dunn's Guns in Pacific Beach
The Gun Co. on Morena Blvd
Armand Swenson in Fallbrook

A little shop in National City that was owned by a SDPD officer
and later by a skinny, scraggly guy who shot long range precision rifles

Is Weisser's Sporting Goods in National City still there? That place was my favorite. Smitty had my wish list and would always let me know when something interesting came in.

I remember going in the back and going through boxes of guns to pick just the one I wanted. I hate it when I buy something today and get a "serial number from the warehouse." What a bunch of BS.

Weisser's has been gone for a while now, I'm thinking somewhere around 6-8 years now if not longer.

Add to the San Diego list . . .

Chula Vista Guns . . . Chula Vista (they sell firearms related stuff now, not nearly as much fun as it used to be.

halifax
08-28-2008, 6:14 AM
Ellingston's in San Mateo

gwl
08-28-2008, 6:14 AM
Tri-City sports in Fremont.
I remember walking in there during the 80's and seeing the AR-15s & Uzi's on the racks behind the counter. If I only had the money back then :(

Holy Cow! :eek: I remember seeing that too. Those were good times.

Markel's (sp?) in San Francisco.

RW Dunn
08-28-2008, 6:39 AM
Trigger Hill - salinas

Too Swole
08-28-2008, 6:50 AM
The ones I remembered growing-up in Sacramento
that are gone.

Simms Hardware on J st - Sacramento
Christy's Gun Works on H st - Sacramento
Branden's Guns on Folsom blvd - Sacramento
Dick Scherer's on Folsom Blvd - Sacramento
Old Sacramento Armory on J st - Sacramento
Bill Davis Company off of Harbor Blvd - West Sacramento

586L-Frame
Great list! The firing pin was the first place I ever shot at. Wasn't there a gunsmith on watt ave that sold guns too?

daves_daily
08-28-2008, 6:53 AM
Accuracy - Temecula

navyrifleshooter
08-28-2008, 7:16 AM
Weiser's in National City

johnny_22
08-28-2008, 7:26 AM
Ambler Arms, Milpitas; Closed in the 1990s.
Mel Cottons, Milpitas (closed when Big 5 came to town)

Good places, close to work, that treated a beginner like me nicely.

stevie
08-28-2008, 7:38 AM
Los Angeles Area

Dept Stores
Woolworths
Kmart
Mongomery Wards
Sears
Sportsmart

Gun Stores
Gardena Valley Guns
Western Surplus
B&B
Ranger Sales
Jeez, I remember the stores but not the names

ghostwong
08-28-2008, 8:08 AM
Los Angeles Area

Dept Stores
Woolworths
Kmart
Mongomery Wards
Sears
Sportsmart

They sold guns????

smle-man
08-28-2008, 8:09 AM
Ross Guns which morphed into the Old Gun Shop - Santa Clarita
Pony Express - Van Nuys
The Reloading Bench - Santa Clarita
Sherwood - Northridge

AC Gould
08-28-2008, 8:55 AM
They sold guns????

Yup...and Raley's Drug Centers and Payless drug stores sold guns & fishing tackle. Anyone remember Western Auto?

Two Shots
08-28-2008, 9:07 AM
Ed's Gunshop in Livermore
Reppa's in Hayward then moved to Dublin
Wayne's Gunshop in Dublin
Horns of the Hunters in Hayward by the Airport
I know they are still there, But loss thier FFL "The Traders" Oakland
Gemco/Wards/Sears used to sell Guns and ammo in the Bay area
Kmart/Walmart had some good deals on guns years ago.
Army/Navy surplus store on Hesperian in San Lorenzo in the 60's
There were several others in Hayward that only lasted two or so years
Tri-City had some good deals on guns in the 70's-80's
San Jose Flea market in the late 60's They had a dealer selling Thompson Semi-auto replicas and some other weapons. He was there every week.

Bongos
08-28-2008, 9:09 AM
Arrowhead Sporting Goods - Westminster (Owner Chris was a great guy, prices were very good and great customer service... one of the best stores in OC, They give you a fair price on your trade in and their prices were lower then everyone elses) unfortunately Chris and his eldest son died in a plane crash on their trip back from China (Chris wanted to show his boy the homeland) after that the store closed shop...:(
B & E- Cypress ...Shady deals and straw purchases lead to arrest and jail time for one of the owners and the closing of the store, they are doing gun shows know, just saling off the inventory.. no guns of course:rolleyes:

Ding126
08-28-2008, 9:26 AM
Elingstons sporting goods ( san mateo )
Arms & Ammo ( san bruno )
code3 ( san bruno )

Damm, my old age has a loss for business names, there are so many more to list in redwood city, san mateo, south city, colma As a kid I use to go to so many shops with Dad along the peninsula.

Sad to say there are only 3 that are still around ( that I know of )

Tabors, E & S & Krauswerks

soopafly
08-28-2008, 9:33 AM
code 3 in alhambra
I'll second that and add:
RNJ's in Carson-my favorite back in the day
Tuan's in (Diamond Bar?)
B & E in Cypress
Great Western Gun Show, L.A. County Fairgrounds in Pomona:(:(:( That was a required yearly pilgrimage for any gunnie...

and I do, indeed, remember Western Auto...

akjunkie
08-28-2008, 9:41 AM
Arrowhead Sporting Goods - Westminster (Owner Chris was a great guy, prices were very good and great customer service... one of the best stores in OC, They give you a fair price on your trade in and their prices were lower then everyone elses) unfortunately Chris and his eldest son died in a plane crash on their trip back from China (Chris wanted to show his boy the homeland) after that the store closed shop...:(
B & E- Cypress ...Shady deals and straw purchases lead to arrest and jail time for one of the owners and the closing of the store, they are doing gun shows know, just saling off the inventory.. no guns of course:rolleyes:

WOW, very sad to hear.. i bought my DSA SA58 Fal congo from him... Chris was a former Mr. HK body builder. he was a nice guy.

akjunkie
08-28-2008, 9:43 AM
Code3 USA > alhambra
Pacific Outdoorsman > monterey park
Briklee Trading > el monte
Tuans Corp> Rowland heights
Gunslinger > Glendora

Moonclip
08-28-2008, 9:49 AM
LA/OC= B&E,B&B,Gunrunners now in AZ,Fed Ord,Gunsight,gunsmith on Commonwealth in Fullerton,Arrowhead,JR's Range(sold guns until like 2000),Turners in Stanton,I think a Turners in Buena Park,Mikes Gunsmith I believe is closing soon,True Outdoorsman/Outdoorsman express,World of Warriors,Armory of Orange,Cliffs,the list goes on and on....

tgriffin
08-28-2008, 9:54 AM
Damn cant believe this one hasnt been mentioned yet... The Shooting Gallery in Vacaville.

bohoki
08-28-2008, 10:08 AM
i remember buying ammo at longs drugs and true value hardware

man i remember the tri city commercials with the racks of ar-15s in the background

Saigon1965
08-28-2008, 10:15 AM
I remember some of those - Good times

I didn't see Seigel's in Oakland mentioned

Ed's Gunshop in Livermore
Reppa's in Hayward then moved to Dublin
Wayne's Gunshop in Dublin
Horns of the Hunters in Hayward by the Airport
I know they are still there, But loss thier FFL "The Traders" Oakland
Gemco/Wards/Sears used to sell Guns and ammo in the Bay area
Kmart/Walmart had some good deals on guns years ago.
Army/Navy surplus store on Hesperian in San Lorenzo in the 60's
There were several others in Hayward that only lasted two or so years
Tri-City had some good deals on guns in the 70's-80's
San Jose Flea market in the late 60's They had a dealer selling Thompson Semi-auto replicas and some other weapons. He was there every week.

Black Majik
08-28-2008, 11:13 AM
I miss The Gunsight the most in Fullerton. I'd always stop by during class breaks, since he had the best consignment guns in Orange County at the time.

Gold Coast Trading off Brookhurst was a great outfit. Really nice people, it was sad to see them close.

Good riddance to Cliff's. If the store wasn't gonna close, the building would have collapsed on all their inventory. What a craphole.

FEDUPWBS
08-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Radio Shack sells guns in Oregon, even AKs!

rst1911
08-28-2008, 11:40 AM
What about King's Gun Works...........:cool2:

eltee
08-28-2008, 11:45 AM
I grew up in the back rooms of many SF/DC gunshops as a kid. Now they are all gone except for High Bridge Guns in SF which I believe is on the same site as Chow.

1. Val's Guns, SF (North Beach)
2. S.F. Gun Exchange
3. F. Bob Chow "Accuracy is our Aim" (SF)
4. Markell's # 1 (SF)
5. Markell's # 2 (Colma)
6. Daly City Gunshop (Daly City on ECR)
7. Golden West (or "Gold Rush") Guns (SF, on Clement, sold replica and real guns)
8. Roos Bros. Clothing (SF, later merged into Roos-Atkins)
9. Abercrombie and Fitch Sporting Goods (SF)
10. Numerous pawn shops that had FFL's

Beth Posner, daughter of SF Gun Exchange founder Nate Posner, has been selling the last of the inventory at the Reno gunshows. She and her brother worked alongside their dad at the Gun Exchange and possibly at the pawnshop they owned prior to opening the Gun Exchange.

My parents told me of the many "shooting galleries" in San Francisco in the 40's and 50's, all indoor. All gone (but there are still a couple of discrete indoor places to shoot for LEOs in SF).

I recall shooting with the rifle team in high school in an underground shooting range, and most (or all?) of the high schools had an indoor shooting range, usually controlled by the adult ROTC advisor. I believe they are all closed up.

Tanforan Shopping Center was once a race track that had an indoor .22 cal. range. Long gone.

That's my trip down memory lane...

Ding126
08-28-2008, 12:03 PM
I grew up in the back rooms of many SF/DC gunshops as a kid. Now they are all gone except for High Bridge Guns in SF which I believe is on the same site as Chow.

2. S.F. Gun Exchange
4. Markell's # 1 (SF)
5. Markell's # 2 (Colma)
7. Golden West (or "Gold Rush") Guns (SF, on Clement, sold replica and real guns)

Beth Posner, daughter of SF Gun Exchange founder Nate Posner, has been selling the last of the inventory at the Reno gunshows. She and her brother worked alongside their dad at the Gun Exchange and possibly at the pawnshop they owned prior to opening the Gun Exchange.

My parents told me of the many "shooting galleries" in San Francisco in the 40's and 50's, all indoor. All gone (but there are still a couple of discrete indoor places to shoot for LEOs in SF).

I recall shooting with the rifle team in high school in an underground shooting range, and most (or all?) of the high schools had an indoor shooting range, usually controlled by the adult ROTC advisor. I believe they are all closed up.

Tanforan Shopping Center was once a race track that had an indoor .22 cal. range. Long gone.

Wow, those bring back some of my memories. Bob Chow was such a pleasure to deal with and his Colt.45 knowledge.
Markells in colma was one I was trying to remember. Dad bought my first ruger 10/22 for me there.....72.00 with LE discount.
Tri City in Fremont !!

Equalizer2
08-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Two of the largest gun stores ever.
Golden State Arms-Pasadena
Hy Hunter-Burbank

Gunaria
08-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Slim's in Riverside
Oshman's Sporting Goods use to sell em
Even China-Mart use to sell em too

ChibiPaw
08-28-2008, 12:30 PM
So here's an ignorant question.
What happen to the DROS records a dealer have to keep after the shop closes down? Do they go to the shredder?

5150Marcelo
08-28-2008, 12:32 PM
Gemco!

duenor
08-28-2008, 12:41 PM
Most don't know or remember, but during the 80s and early 90s CA was one of the best gun states. Also, the chinese gun shops were the best....

Pvt. Cowboy
08-28-2008, 12:48 PM
They sold guns????

Sears sold handguns in California up until the late 1970s. I am pretty sure that they were all .22LR revolvers, but they did sell them.

Ding126
08-28-2008, 12:49 PM
What happen to the DROS records a dealer have to keep after the shop closes down? Do they go to the shredder?

If my memory is correct. I had to forward all records & paperwork to BATF in Tx

Pvt. Cowboy
08-28-2008, 1:05 PM
i remember buying ammo at longs drugs and true value hardware

True Value Hardware stores in NV usually have a pretty impressive military selection, or at least the one in Fernley does. I have also seen handguns made by Charter Arms with the 'Western Auto' stampings on them for sale at gun shows. Those go back to the '50s-early '60s when gas stations in California sold handguns to travelers needing protection.

I have an old 'Dragnet 1959' radio show .MP3 file where Sgt. Joe Friday stops a man on the street in Los Angeles who has a loaded gun in his pocket and says 'Why are you carrying the piece?' and the guy says 'For protection, officer'. Friday and his partner mumble to each other about how that's not illegal or probable cause to detain him even though they both think he's the suspect in a bank robbery.

Times were different back then. :D

drdanno84
08-28-2008, 2:08 PM
Siegel's guns: Oakland Ca
Specialty products West: Glendale Ca
Traders's: San Leandro, Ca
Federal Ordinace: El Monte, Ca
Big Bear Guns: Big Bear Lake, Ca
Rich's Guns: Whittier, Ca

Jeffy
08-28-2008, 2:51 PM
Hogan's Sporting Goods - Pleasant Hill, CA

5150Marcelo
08-28-2008, 3:00 PM
I even remember thriftys selling ammo

Icarus
08-28-2008, 3:08 PM
Ames in Santa Monica a long time ago and Kerr's in Beverly Hills which had all the top end stuff.

zman
08-28-2008, 3:09 PM
Accuracy - Temecula

It's actually Accurate Arms Gun Co. - Temecula, CA

bear308
08-28-2008, 3:27 PM
Shawnee Sporting Goods - Sunland
La Guns -Downtown LA
Pony Express - Van Nuys (don't remember is someone posted it)
FiringLine Burbank - still here, just don't sell guns anymore
Reloading Center - Never sold a gun but still sad that they're gone.

smle-man
08-28-2008, 4:16 PM
Shawnee Sporting Goods - Sunland
La Guns -Downtown LA
Pony Express - Van Nuys (don't remember is someone posted it)
FiringLine Burbank - still here, just don't sell guns anymore
Reloading Center - Never sold a gun but still sad that they're gone.

The owner of the Reloading Center lit into me one day. My wife had bought WW 236 powder when I sent her for Unique. I think the clerk told her that she didn't want Unique. Anyway, I stopped by and told the guy that I needed to exchange the two powders. The guy (the owner) absolutely came unglued, cursed me and shouted that he was tired of the LAPD doing sting operations on him. He ranted that he was calling his lawyer and that I should get out of the shop NOW!. I stood there with my mouth hanging open at this outburst. When he calmed down he said that it was illegal to take back ammo or gun powder and that the LAPD tried sting operations on a weekly basis to trip him or his clerks up on some technicality. He apologized and told me to keep the powder and gave me a pound of Unique. A couple visits later he told me that he was closing the business down, that he just couldn't take the city pressure anymore.

ArkinDomino
08-28-2008, 4:36 PM
What about King's Gun Works...........:cool2:

They are still open and the new owner will keep it open.. word is that they are changing things around and will sell a large lineup of reloading components.

tai
08-28-2008, 4:44 PM
Code3 USA > alhambra
Gunslinger > Glendora

The owner of the Tuans Corp worked at Turner west covina few year back, after he colse the shop, but not sure is he still there or not.

HCz
08-28-2008, 5:13 PM
and Paul started Gunrunners but he passed away a few months ago while in sleep.:(

And Someone probably mentioned it, but there was a gunsmith in Placentia who passed away about 3 years ago and the shop closed. Was it The Gunsite? I think George was the name.

bubbagump
08-28-2008, 5:22 PM
Yup...and Raley's Drug Centers and Payless drug stores sold guns & fishing tackle. Anyone remember Western Auto?

Western Auto has three locations that I know of in my area. The one in Santa Fe Springs has been known to sell handguns (HK USP's, Old Colts) on rare occasions and has a small selection of ammo. The Western auto in Bell has a full-fledged gun shop (unless things have changed). And the one in LA near the Metro station is unknown whether they sell firearms related stuff.

Matthew's and Sons-Downey, CA (last I heard they moved up north)
Weatherby-South Gate, CA (They moved)

I've been told the old Weatherby sign is still intact, but don't remember where exactly in South Gate it is. I remember seeing an add for the Weatherby Shop in Warren High School's 1968 year book. I guess one of the original owners sons had graduated that year.

ghostwong
08-28-2008, 5:28 PM
Van Comp - They were in Goleta and move to AZ?

liberty08
08-28-2008, 5:29 PM
Dada's Liquor store in Sonoma. They not only had the largest selection of magazines and porn, but he had an FFL and sold guns right behind the counter.

sammy
08-28-2008, 6:19 PM
In my local East Bay area my favorite was White Bear in Concord. Super nice folks in there. No BS, just cool old guys that loved guns.

JagerTroop
08-28-2008, 6:26 PM
LA/OC= B&E,B&B,Gunrunners now in AZ,Fed Ord,Gunsight,gunsmith on Commonwealth in Fullerton,Arrowhead,JR's Range(sold guns until like 2000),Turners in Stanton,I think a Turners in Buena Park,Mikes Gunsmith I believe is closing soon,True Outdoorsman/Outdoorsman express,World of Warriors,Armory of Orange,Cliffs,the list goes on and on....

+1 on B&E, and B&B. Those were great stores. Also Excaliber Guns in Westminster... Black rifles galore!

FYI, Turners in Buena Park became Turners in Stanton;)

ptoguy2002
08-28-2008, 6:30 PM
I forget the name of the place, but it was in Brea, a couple doors down from the train store. They did mostly HK stuff, and wrote on the door that the AWB put them out of business.

Anybody remember that one?

sargenv
08-28-2008, 6:47 PM
Bill Davis Company off of Harbor Blvd

I bought a model 700 there after being referred from Old Sac Armory. Nice shop. I still own the 700.

One I have not seen is a small shop that used to be in San Pablo called "Lead by Lead". Kind of high prices but the people were cool and they didn't mind if you just hung out and drank their coffee. They later turned into a pawn shop and I believe they are still a pawn shop.

Anchor Pawn in Richmond used to sell guns. They still might but I've not heard that they do anymore. I don't even know if they are still there. I think they were off Rumrill.

Another I remember vaguely was a place in Berkeley on College Ave. I don't remember the name though. A buddy of mine sent his Ruger Redhawk from there for warranty work.

I remember when Sim's Hardware closed down. I bought a 3 pound can of AL-8 from them in the closeout. I still have that.

I remember when JC Penny's still listed firearms in their catalogs. Mostly shotguns and rifles. This was up till the late 70's I think. I also remember Western Auto selling guns and ammo at some point. One other store that sold Rifles and shotguns.. cash and carry at the time was "Best Products". There is a Best Buy in Pinole where the Best used to be.

There was a hardware store in the city down on San Bruno Ave where my dad purchased my first shotgun at. A Remington 870 Wingmaster which I still have. I don't know the name of the place. The store was still open and selling guns in about 1978. I don't know when it closed.

I remember White Bear in Pleasant hill. I bought my first reloading supplies there when I started loading shotshell ammo.. that was about... 1988.

Those are all I can remember that haven't been brought up already.

Joey_H
08-28-2008, 7:16 PM
I bought a Marlin 1894C in .357 Magnum at the Penney's in the Del Amo mall in Torrance sometime in the 80s. I still have it. :)

Moonclip
08-28-2008, 7:17 PM

Never heard of Chris dying, I know the guy from El Salvador that worked there died though. I bought and sold a lot of guns there. B&E too got a lot of business from me until I had enough of their shady dealings and I stopped going there for about a year and a half.

They still have a storefront in the old location just not selling guns. My dad bought a magazine there last week.

Moonclip
08-28-2008, 7:19 PM
Code3 USA > alhambra
Gunslinger > Glendora

Gunslingers is still in business. Was Pacific Outdoorsman a 2 story place with the guns on 2nd floor? As for Western Auto in Bell,stay away from that place. I guarantee you will see them on the news eventually like that gunshop/range in Compton that got raided and shut down. Lots of shady stuff going on in there.

Moonclip
08-28-2008, 7:22 PM
I miss The Gunsight the most in Fullerton. I'd always stop by during class breaks, since he had the best consignment guns in Orange County at the time.

Gold Coast Trading off Brookhurst was a great outfit. Really nice people, it was sad to see them close.

Good riddance to Cliff's. If the store wasn't gonna close, the building would have collapsed on all their inventory. What a craphole.

Gunsight was cool but the owner had a bad attitude generally and would only take cash! Only time I ever saw that at a gunshop. Gold Coast was cool, they shut it down after the owner died, I got three guns there but it was generally overpriced.

Clifffs was a trip, I have some intresting experiences there. I actually liked it, usually but not always overpriced, shady deals going on there as well, and they had EVERYTHING in stock almost you could want from 1/2 moon clips for a 6 shot Ruger 9mm revolver to grips,ammo and magazines for the most obscure of guns

IdpaSteve
08-28-2008, 7:24 PM
Great list! The firing pin was the first place I ever shot at. Wasn't there a gunsmith on watt ave that sold guns too?

D & P??
I think it was-
Great work- Slow as hell...
Super nice guy that loved to talk...

Ok, a few more dead stores...

R&P on Fulton Ave in Sac,
and my Personal Fav-
Deluxe Liquors & Sporting Goods in Roseville-
You get and AR, an AK, a FAL and a bottle
of tequila at the same store!!!

Is Brandens in Rancho Cordova gone???

pieeater
08-28-2008, 8:08 PM
Hogans sporting goods in pleasant hill before they downsized their firearms department. They eventually went out of business due to owner retiring.

A store i loved was white bear on monument blvd in concord. sold tons of police supplies, military gear, and other neat stuff. A lot of people didnt know about it when it was open.

I bought some pretty cool stuff from them in the eightys. It was weird to find out that Dale was a convicted pedophile.

RP1911
08-28-2008, 8:27 PM
D & P??
I think it was-
Great work- Slow as hell...
Super nice guy that loved to talk...

Ok, a few more dead stores...

R&P on Fulton Ave in Sac,
and my Personal Fav-
Deluxe Liquors & Sporting Goods in Roseville-
You get and AR, an AK, a FAL and a bottle
of tequila at the same store!!!

Is Brandens in Rancho Cordova gone???

Branden's both stores are gone.

Here's more:

Great Guns on Watt and Auburn (owner is related to owners of Wild Sports)

Fox on N. Watt. Was sold to Dale. Dale moved to Oregon. he built me a custom 1911 for my CCW.

John Q's Gunsmithing on Auburn

mike100
08-28-2008, 8:29 PM
San Diego stores-

Joes Guns on Black Mtn and Miramar Road (I don't think he would make it in the day of the modern DOJ and ATF) He let me pop off a couple of rounds of 22lr in the back room into a stack of phone books so I wouldn't have to wait the whole 10 days to try it out. That stuff wouldn't fly at all these days.

Mission Armory- consigned a couple of guns there way back...Knew the gunsmith.

Also the lost ranges- Shooters Emporium in Escondido- wish that was still there.

newtothis
08-28-2008, 8:32 PM
Buchanan's in Berkeley...that's right Berkeley.

HavaJava
08-28-2008, 8:32 PM
San Jose - Powder Horn
Santa Clara - National Shooting Club

HavaJava
08-28-2008, 8:38 PM
Reed's moved to Santa Clara, where National Shooting Club used to be.

In the San Jose Area

Extreme Adventures
Clay Bird
Bighorn
Campbell Police & Shooters Supply
And now Reeds

johnnv
08-28-2008, 8:45 PM
Probably one of the most popular gunstores in the Inland Empire was M&I Guns that later became Rancho Gun Store.

Thefeeder
08-28-2008, 8:52 PM

2. S.F. Gun Exchange
4. Markell's # 1 (SF)
5. Markell's # 2 (Colma)

Dad spent a lot of dough with Nate.....I did with Bob his son.

Remenber the 4th street store?

Thefeeder
08-28-2008, 8:56 PM

2. S.F. Gun Exchange
4. Markell's # 1 (SF)
5. Markell's # 2 (Colma)

Yes there places to shoot in San Francisco.....For non LEO's

Do you shoot the Chow match each year?

TomV
08-28-2008, 8:57 PM
Fremont Gun & Supply, off Thorton Ave.

Moulton's in Castro Valley.

But that might have been the reloader guy next door and the gun store had a different name ?

amd64
08-28-2008, 9:07 PM

Sorry to hear about Chris, +1 on him being great to deal with.
Arrowhead was a great shop.

soopafly
08-28-2008, 9:52 PM
Also, the chinese gun shops were the best....
hell, ANY asian owned gun store was the itsh

m24armorer
08-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Mid 80's Men At Arms, great address. 357 Saratoga Av. in Santa Clara.

1seeker
08-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Back in the 70's & 80s, liberal Santa Monica had some nice pretty nice gun shops:

London Guns
Cole's Guns
Stewart St. Gun Store
Ame's Guns

I bought my first gun ever (S&W Model 27 8-3/8") at Ame's. Even Arnold Schwartzeneger used to shop there in his "Pumping Iron" days. My how the things have changed and the mighty have fallen.

My favorite closed store of all time was Pony Express Sport Shop; originally on Ventura Blvd. in Encino, then later in North Hills. Joe Ellinthorpe and Ray Hauser were great people to deal with.

Phil

gambel
08-28-2008, 10:27 PM
What about Coburn's in Fontana? I went looking for them a few days ago and they are gone. Out of the way place, but a nice old gun store back in the 90's

ivanimal
08-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Armanino's SSF
Kit and Kaboodle Brentwood
Montgomery wards

ghostwong
08-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Papac Brothers - Montebello

hntnnut
08-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Larry's Guns in Hesperia, and good riddance.

Richard

eltee
08-28-2008, 11:57 PM

Yep...that was the old Posner pawnshop that also dealt with guns. It was the forerunner to the Gun Exchange. BTW, Bobbie is living happily in Idaho or Montana, I forgot which. I'll ask Beth again when I see her.

I bought my first copies of Hatcher's Notebook and Small Arms of the World when I was a teenager in the 60's from Nate at the 4th St. store.

bubbagump
08-29-2008, 1:21 AM
Belleau Wood-Duarte, CA

smle-man
08-29-2008, 8:03 AM
They are still open and the new owner will keep it open.. word is that they are changing things around and will sell a large lineup of reloading components.

I will have to go visit them. I thought they were gone!

7.62 FMJ
08-29-2008, 9:14 AM
Sportsmans Emplorium / Norco

daves_daily
08-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Weiser's in National City

I remember Weisser's. That gunshop was a 32nd Street Navy landmark. Like McDini's when Mike was still behind the bar. Died behind the bar. That was the last gunshop I expected to fold up in San Diego. It gets worse for me, I grew up in Alexandria, Va. There was a gun shop in Old Town Alexandria, down by the Potomac called Hunter's Haven. Had another corporate name, Patomac Arms, something like that, but all the folks from my generation and before called it Hunter's Haven. You could buy anti-aircraft pieces there. Their surplus inventory was more fun to drool over than anything in the District museaums. I spent more time at that old gunshop than I spent doing homework! The rapid decline of the family owned and operated gunshop in California is alarming. Grant's for Guns is still up in Costa Mesa, but all the old San Diego proper shops are history. :( Which I would include Weisser's in, even though National City is incorporated. If you still get down that way, check out Hiram's Guns in El Cajon. Owned by a guy and his son. Did you ever go to Ackerman's down in I.B.? I suspect "Ack" has passed on. His reloads were legend in my shooting circle, and not in a particuarly good way! But nobody ever lost an arm or anything, it was like Cracker Jacks, a surprise in every BOX!:)

cleanguy46
08-29-2008, 11:24 AM
DeLuxe liquors and guns in Roseville, Ca.
Aka Booze N Guns

Justin562
08-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Mike's guns (long beach) closed down in the early 90's
I was too young to buy anything back then,but I remeber it because it was
right next to a liquor store :eek: and like 150 feet from my house.
You dont see that anymore. Kinda like that movie high school high with john levetts,when he was driving to his new job he observed the stores going by and it went like this: Gunshop,liquor store,gunshop,pawnshop,liquorstore, bail bonds,pawn shop,gunshop etc.
:D

smle-man
08-29-2008, 11:54 AM
I remember Weisser's. That gunshop was a 32nd Street Navy landmark. Like McDini's when Mike was still behind the bar. Died behind the bar. That was the last gunshop I expected to fold up in San Diego. It gets worse for me, I grew up in Alexandria, Va. There was a gun shop in Old Town Alexandria, down by the Potomac called Hunter's Haven. Had another corporate name, Patomac Arms, something like that, but all the folks from my generation and before called it Hunter's Haven. You could buy anti-aircraft pieces there. Their surplus inventory was more fun to drool over than anything in the District museaums. I spent more time at that old gunshop than I spent doing homework! The rapid decline of the family owned and operated gunshop in California is alarming. Grant's for Guns is still up in Costa Mesa, but all the old San Diego proper shops are history. :( Which I would include Weisser's in, even though National City is incorporated. If you still get down that way, check out Hiram's Guns in El Cajon. Owned by a guy and his son. Did you ever go to Ackerman's down in I.B.? I suspect "Ack" has passed on. His reloads were legend in my shooting circle, and not in a particuarly good way! But nobody ever lost an arm or anything, it was like Cracker Jacks, a surprise in every BOX!:)

I bought a Martini Henry Mk4 with sword bayonet from Potomac Arms in Alexandria in the early 70s through the mail. I think they had some affiliation with Interarms.

Mikeb
08-29-2008, 1:01 PM
DeLuxe liquors and guns in Roseville, Ca.
Aka Booze N Guns

I bet they sold tobaco too... Now that is an ATF I could suport... and a convienence store to boot :)

Moonclip
08-29-2008, 4:50 PM
hell, ANY asian owned gun store was the itsh

Not really, most had too high of prices, is Euro Arms still there? Arrowhead was pretty ok though.

Moonclip
08-29-2008, 4:52 PM
Papac Brothers - Montebello

Only went in there like once, there was also a shop in Motebello downtown I believe the Armnian owners were killed in a holdup. I think the same happend at 1 or two gunshops in the Bellflower area.

There is some defunct shops from that area, one was called Lions Den I think, one was on Clark and Artesia blvd. Another was like a gunsmith of some sort.

Moonclip
08-29-2008, 4:54 PM
Mike's guns (long beach) closed down in the early 90's
I was too young to buy anything back then,but I remeber it because it was
right next to a liquor store :eek: and like 150 feet from my house.
You dont see that anymore. Kinda like that movie high school high with john levetts,when he was driving to his new job he observed the stores going by and it went like this: Gunshop,liquor store,gunshop,pawnshop,liquorstore, bail bonds,pawn shop,gunshop etc.
:D

Not true, they may just have moved from original location, I was in that place like about 2-3 months ago, may be closing very soon or just closed though. I remember the liquor store across the street.

I used to go make photocopies of my DD214 there for them when this was a exemption for the BFSC when I did PPTs there.

ghostwong
08-29-2008, 5:09 PM
Euro arms is still around. On Valley Blvd, close to CSULA. Not really, most had too high of prices, is Euro Arms still there? Arrowhead was pretty ok though.

Black_Talon
08-29-2008, 5:27 PM
Cheshire & Perez - Monrovia

Third Stone Gunworks - Duarte

Colorado Firearms - Pasadena/Duarte

The other guy on Colorado in Pasadena, just down the street from Colorado Firearms, on the north side of the street in the old bank building next to the gold panning shop. His name was Bill Molnar, IIRC.

The gunshop down on Arroyo in Pasadena, accross the street form the current Turners. It was painted yellow.

Azusa Gun Shop - Azusa

Pachmayr - downtown LA & (briefly) Monrovia.

Purbaughs Guns - Monrovia.

HowardW56
08-29-2008, 5:52 PM
Los Angeles Area

Dept Stores
Woolworths
Kmart
Mongomery Wards
Sears
Sportsmart

Gun Stores
Gardena Valley Guns
Western Surplus
B&B
Ranger Sales
Jeez, I remember the stores but not the names

Coles (Santa Monica)
Swearengin (Santa Monica)

Moonclip
08-29-2008, 6:16 PM
Cheshire & Perez - Monrovia

Once saw a PPC revolver with a barrel so marked recently.

kdm
08-29-2008, 6:54 PM
The Shooting Gallery - Vacaville.

This place has been a fixture for quite some time. For many years it was the only indoor range around...then Guns-n-Gear moved across I-80, built a super nice underground range, and within 2 years killed off the Gallery. Now, Guns Fishing and Other Stuff's prices are higher 'cause of the lack of competition. Plus they're even more the a**holes. :mad:

bwiese
08-29-2008, 8:00 PM
Ah, the old days - miss Arms'N'Ammo in San Bruno. Walls full of Colts, AKs, HKs, Galils, etc.

And I miss H&H Enterprises in Redwood City. Victor was a character but the walls full of black rifles had panache.

ghostwong
08-29-2008, 9:57 PM
National Gun Sales - had a store there and in Northridge. .

The gunshop down on Arroyo in Pasadena, accross the street form the current Turners. It was painted yellow.

Black_Talon
09-01-2008, 4:59 PM
National Gun Sales - had a store there and in Northridge.

As yes, that was it. They used to have ads in the LA Times.

Black_Talon
09-01-2008, 5:01 PM
Once saw a PPC revolver with a barrel so marked recently.

I saw one (S&W M-10, IIRC) at Ades last year, and there are several "C&P" marked bbls for sale on various online sites. I believe Bullseye in LB has a C&P bbl for sale too.

TonyM
09-01-2008, 5:17 PM
Eddy's Gun Shop on Castro Street in Mountain View. I used to go in there as a kid and drool.

KLOS on Evelyn Ave in Sunnyvale, around 1994ish. Hole in the wall 12x12 or so room with a counter. Almost no stock on hand, but would get anything you wanted. Had to press a buzzer to get in the door. I thought it was really weird at the time, but cool guys with great prices at the time.

Ding126
09-01-2008, 5:27 PM
Ah, the old days - miss Arms'N'Ammo in San Bruno. Walls full of Colts, AKs, HKs, Galils, etc.

And I miss H&H Enterprises in Redwood City. Victor was a character but the walls full of black rifles had panache.

Ahh H&H...I purchased my 1st Hk91 from Victor H. for 575.00 back in 85 and use to hang out at Arms & Ammo looking at ALL the HK items. Thought Joe was kind of shady at times. I remember the Barret 50 Cal BMG on the counter for 3k wish I was wise enough back then to buy it. I remember when the Hk PSG-1 was 2500.00 and that was way too much $$ for me back then.

Fjold
09-01-2008, 7:03 PM
In Lompoc

Donelly's Gunshop
Moore's Department store

CaliGunOwner
09-01-2008, 8:11 PM
In N. OC -- I remember Brea Guns
In Roland Hts - Tuans Corp
There was another shop in Brea where I bought my first handgun but I just can't remember the name of that shop :(

1SGMAT
09-01-2008, 8:15 PM
Ammo Depot in Westminster

koz
09-01-2008, 8:18 PM
Combat Arms in Castro Valley

Trader Jack
09-01-2008, 9:59 PM
Michel's Gun Shop in Dublin and Waynes Gunshop in Dublin.:chris:

Gryff
09-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Stockton
----------
Davenport's
Herb's Surplus

drdanno84
09-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Recycler, in los angeles, I bought some really nice guns in the '80s

rtlltj
09-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Trigger Hill - salinas

You see the new gun store that opened last week in Salinas? Hopefully it won't be as terrible as Trigger Hill was during the end of their road.

Moonclip
09-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Recycler, in los angeles, I bought some really nice guns in the '80s

So did IIRC the guy that killed Dorothy Stratten!:( A Mossberg 500 I think.

Ketsugo
06-14-2011, 2:18 PM
Hilldale Gun Sales. Simi Valley

Confusion
06-14-2011, 3:46 PM
Ford's in Pasadena

Golden State Arms-Pasadena

Which one of these was on Walnut/Foothill and Sierra Madre? by the Chinese Restaurant?

I remember back in the late 80's early 90's most of the gun stores in Pasadena hated us. We all bought our paintball guns, pretty much sight unseen via mail-order. There was really nowhere to go to paintball stuff in the area. We all wanted pouches and vests and grip stuff. All the Pasadena stores just did not want to deal with 'those damn kids and their toys!' Except for Pachmayr on Lake but they really didn't have anything for us, we got some good tips about stance and how to make the crap smooth plastic grips a bit better.

RedFord150
06-14-2011, 3:50 PM
National Gun Sales - had a store there and in Northridge.

Bought my Ruger Security Six from the Pasadena store during their Grand opening sale in 1985. I think I paid $189.99 for a Blued 4".

daveinwoodland
06-14-2011, 3:52 PM
The San Francisco Gun Exchange

RedFord150
06-14-2011, 3:53 PM
...B & E- Cypress

Loved this place. I bought lots of stuff from them. Bob and his wife were the owners, Zach was the Son. Great people.

RedFord150
06-14-2011, 3:56 PM
...Gunslinger > Glendora

Gunslingers is alive and well. They located on Grand Ave, just North of Arrow Hwy. They took over the location previously occupied by Buckhorn guns.
Buckhorn is now gone.

RedFord150
06-14-2011, 4:01 PM
I miss The Gunsight the most in Fullerton. ....

These were THE Gunsmiths in OC. They did a trigger job on my GP100. I still own it. A good friend of mine had a Colt Python and he believed his Python was the only better trigger he had ever felt. I disagreed with him. I like my GP better ;-).
My only regret was not taking my Speed Six to them before they closed.

Jonathan Doe
06-14-2011, 4:01 PM
I just miss B&B in North Hollywood and Pony Express in the valley. among other small stores.

RedFord150
06-14-2011, 4:07 PM
Grant Boys was located inside the Puente Hills Mall in City of Industry. They used to sell long guns. They would have rifles and shotguns in circular wooden racks on the main selling floor, near the back of the store. I was too young to buy, but I did ogle more than a few. I was smart enough not to put my hands on any. That would have gotten me the Boot.

vince42
06-14-2011, 4:11 PM
Ambler Arms, Milpitas; Closed in the 1990s.
Mel Cottons, Milpitas (closed when Big 5 came to town)

Good places, close to work, that treated a beginner like me nicely.

I may have bought my first new gun (S&W 66) at Ambler, was that by the theaters and a store with safes...Key Factory maybe...?

stevie
06-14-2011, 4:38 PM
Coles (Santa Monica)
Swearengin (Santa Monica)

I remeber coles, I actually just finished using up some 8 pound kegs of unique and bullseye that I purchased at their going out of business sale.

Torrance Armory, Torrance
Beach Cities Armory, Redondo Beach area
Fowlers Sport Center Pasadena
A.B.R Sports Sales, Lomita
ARM USA, Anaheim
Gun Ranch, Garden Grove
Lawence & Company, Redondo Beach

I dug up some of my old receipts

phsieh10
06-14-2011, 5:29 PM
southland guns in lake forest
true outdoorsman in mission viejo

RustyMacHine
06-14-2011, 5:57 PM
Traders- San Leandro
Tri-City-off Grimmer-Fremont

kervinlee
06-14-2011, 6:03 PM
When I was a kid in San Mateo in the '60's and '70's I used to go into Ellingson's Sporting Goods on El Camino Real in San Mateo just to look at all the antique rifles and pistols on display there. It was an incredible collection; scores of civil war-era rifles hung high on the walls, black-powder pistols of every kind in display cases, mounted deer and buffalo trophies all over. Oh, new firearms too, and lots of reloading supplies.

Ellingson's is long, long gone now. Does anyone know what happened to the firearm collection? It was certainly unique, extensive and rare.

keeneyr
06-14-2011, 6:30 PM
Centerfire Firearms in Riverside???

gobler
06-14-2011, 6:31 PM
I can't remember it but it was located on Glendora Ave & Vine in West Covina. What is now Hong Kong Plaza. It was next to a Nemero Uno Pizza. Cool little shop that my friend and I would frequent. We weren't yet 18 but we had a list of what guns we wanted. It was the first time I held an Uzi :D Just remembered the owner (or who ever was always there) was a very patient man. :o We were young and filled with Hollywierd gun images. This goes back to around 1984/85...

Archie B.
06-14-2011, 7:00 PM
Paul Cole`s Gun World (Valley)
Brass Rail (Hlywd)
Gun Heaven (LA)

Palimino Stripe
06-14-2011, 7:05 PM
Coast Gun Shop in Ventura.

I never really had the chance to do much business with them (they closed about 4-5 years ago when I was 18-19), but I did manage to get a few great bargains on ammo & accesories...

-Palimino

Brd_Hntr
06-14-2011, 8:03 PM
I used to be able to shop for a gun just about everywhere...
Earl Buchanan on College Ave in Berkeley
Dave Sullivan's on Geary Blvd in San Francisco
Presidio Sports Shop on California Street San Francisco
Markell's on Judah Street San Francisco
Seigle's on Macarthur Blvd in Oakland
Al's 57 in South San Francisco
San Francisco Gun Exchange ~ Bob and Beth I still think of you.

microwaveguy
06-14-2011, 8:07 PM
Some of the Best Products had firearms

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_Products

Blademan21
06-14-2011, 8:23 PM
Centerfire Firearms in Riverside???

FYI-Its still in Riverside on Central Ave.

Blademan21
06-14-2011, 8:38 PM
Lets see,these go way back.
Norco Gun Room-Norco
Rileys Gun Shop-Rialto
Cop Shop -San Bernardino
Wilson's- San Bernardino/Highland
Gene's Trading Post-San Bernardino
Gun Smoke-San Bernardino
Miller's Surplus-San Bernardino
Valley Gun Museum-Bloomington

44 Auto Mag
06-14-2011, 9:24 PM
I forget the name of the place, but it was in Brea, a couple doors down from the train store. They did mostly HK stuff, and wrote on the door that the AWB put them out of business.

Anybody remember that one?

Yeah, I used to shoot Long Range Handgun Silhouette way back when and he did trigger jobs to most of my competition guns - the owner used to also shoot Silhouette back then. Closest place to home that sold range/competition supplies, so I used to be a regular around there. Also, RPM (Rock Pistol Manufacturing) was around the corner, so after Jim Rock finished my RPM XL, I went around the corner to buy reloading supplies for it. After he hung that AWB sign on his door, I asked him where he was going to move to and he said Arizona. Lost contact with him soon after, so don't know if he ended moving to a free state or not.....

I still have one of B&E's T-shirts Bob gave me years ago - anyone remember when he used to do transfers out of his house, before they opened the store on Lincoln?

What about the B&B store that was on Golden West, right off the 405? Cool store.....

BigRich
06-14-2011, 11:57 PM

No, they are sent to BATFE in Atlanta where someone "processes" them. I can only guess what is involved and what they do with the info.

big103
06-15-2011, 12:28 AM
Hogan sports-Pleasant Hill

chad68
06-15-2011, 3:08 AM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/bohoki/DCP_6541-1.jpg

I loved their Santa Rosa store. Used to love walking through their mini museum of old airguns. I still have my Beeman P1 with their Santa Rosa addy stamped on the frame. One toy I would never sell.

sandsnow
06-15-2011, 6:00 PM
Stanley's Guns in Santa Ana on Main down near Edinger
I bought my brand new Ruger Mark 1 .22 there for $58. My Dad did a straw purchase for me since I was probably around 15 at the time.

The old Knight's Liquor on Chapman at Esplanade in Orange. They didn't sell guns, but did sell ammo. Actually pretty fair prices. It's been torn down and there is a drugstore there now.

There used to be a store in Costa Mesa on Harbor just south of the 405. I can't remember the name. I bought my AMT Automag II there.

cannon
06-15-2011, 6:14 PM
Mecca Hobbies/Red Star Military Museum in Culver City across the street from Martin B. Redding. Loren had the most amazing guns in there.

The only Automag I ever saw was in the gun case of the Thrifty Drug Store at the corner of Laurel Canyon and Ventura Blvd.

teg767
06-15-2011, 6:40 PM
National Shooting Club - Santa Clara
(Still remember Chris who is a member here)
Traders Sports - San Leandro

sandsnow
06-15-2011, 8:47 PM
The Armory of Orange was a good store. Ken and another gentleman ran that. They were on Orange-Olive Road and then next to Fowler's across from Ade's old location on Tustin. There was a complete colection of M1 Carbines in that store. Absolutely awsome. He had good deals on surplus ammo also.

Tinknocker
06-15-2011, 9:28 PM
B&E in Cypress was the best bought three guns there I think they're still in business under a different name I saw Zach and his mother? at a Costa Mesa gun show a year or so ago. The Armory in Orange sold a '91 Argentine there and I wish I had it back! There was one on 17th by the college in Santa Ana but I don't remember the name.

sandsnow
06-15-2011, 9:48 PM
Of course there was good old Sears and Roebucks where my Dad bought me my first .22 rifle. 1969 or 1970

CaliforniaLiberal
06-16-2011, 12:14 AM
Badger John's - Sacramento

CaliforniaLiberal
06-16-2011, 12:21 AM

They get boxed up in cheap cardboard boxes and put in a warehouse. BATF is supposed to get them into the computer system but they have to be done by hand and they don't have a budget for it. The story I read said they have a couple of people working at it and it will be finished in about two hundred years. Many of the records arrive wet, mildewed or otherwise nasty and unusable. Maybe some of those dealers were unhappy about getting shut down by the BATF and didn't feel like being careful about caring for the paper records.

So BATF keeps all the old DROSes, they're just nigh unto inaccessible.

1970msp
06-16-2011, 12:26 AM
In Hollister,Ca I miss being able to look and buy at:

Western Auto
Sports Unlimited
Lock Stock and Barrel
Coast to Coast
Muenzers Sporting Goods
Kmart

RedFord150
06-16-2011, 9:23 AM
B&E in Cypress was the best bought three guns there I think they're still in business under a different name I saw Zach and his mother? at a Costa Mesa gun show a year or so ago. .....

I have heard that Zach ended up getting convicted of a felony and they were prohibited from selling firearms. They now only sell accessories under a different business name. I had the name once upon a time, but cannot remember it now.
I really liked Zach and Bob. I bought several guns from them and also took them some new customers, including my Sister. She has only bought one gun in her life and it was from B&E while I stood next to her. She says this was the only gun store she had ever been in that treated her decent.

billgato
06-16-2011, 9:39 AM
Does anyone know what happened to Colburn's Discount Guns on Whittram in Fontana? I haven't heard about them in over a decade. It was down the street from Mustang Country.

blackbok
06-21-2011, 4:48 PM
I have heard that Zach ended up getting convicted of a felony and they were prohibited from selling firearms. They now only sell accessories under a different business name. I had the name once upon a time, but cannot remember it now.
I really liked Zach and Bob. I bought several guns from them and also took them some new customers, including my Sister. She has only bought one gun in her life and it was from B&E while I stood next to her. She says this was the only gun store she had ever been in that treated her decent.

"Z" Gallery, I dont know if its even there anymore. I think they might just be doing shows now.

Napalm Bulldog
06-22-2011, 4:43 AM
B&B- Westminster
Turners- Stanton
Arrowhead outdoors- Fountain valley
B&E Cypress
Westminster Pawn and Loan- No more guns

billgato
06-22-2011, 9:32 AM
I remember a gun store in Lakewood (across the street from the mall and in the same plaza as a Carvel ice cream store). It was where I bought my first 1911--a Randall which I wish I hadn't sold.

I also bought an AR-15A2 HBAR from there.

Andy Taylor
06-22-2011, 10:07 AM
In the Greater Sacramento area:
Firing Pin
Braden's Gun Sales
Braden's Gun Sales and Indoor Range
Bill Davis Service Center
Bill Davis Company
Delux Liquor and Sporting Goods
Old Sacramento Armoury
Zeke's Guns
Freedom Guns
Great Guns
Simms Hardware
Phoxx Shooters Supply
D&M Custom Handguns
R&P Sales
Badger John's Huntin' Stuff

sniper4usmc
06-22-2011, 10:13 AM
I got my 1st Eagle Arms Strip lower at B&E,back in 98..that shop had lots of AR/AK

t001
09-09-2011, 7:39 AM
Looks like a new iteration of Eddy's is open in Mountain View again. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but definitely good news. Lots of memories back in the days.

Trigger Hill was not a bad place for some nice milsurps back in the day. Heard they went downhill in their last days though.

Traders was interesting. Customer service varied, but they always had a good collection at fairly decent prices. Interesting clientile too.

I remember H&H in the last days before AW ban took effect, the whole store was packed with people clamoring for every bit of AW they had in stock.

There was another little gem of a police supply store hidden in a quiet little industrial strip of Menlo Park (Coleman? Perimeter). Their safes were full of MP5's and AR15's. Everytime you went in there were usually a couple of MPPD or some other officers shooting the breeze in there. Prices were pretty much MSRP for civilians, but they had the toys. I wish I could remember its name. They used to do the Cow Palace shows too. That's how I found out that Menlo Park actually had a gun store. A few years later they moved upstate somewhere in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas and then disappeared.

There used to be a gun store across from where Gemco or Fedco was in Cerritos on South(?) They had lots of black rifles back then.

Gemco sold guns. Even Best had guns, although they soon only had airguns, and then nothing.

VacaDuck
09-09-2011, 9:19 AM
Guns-N-Gear in Vacaville.

Frank was a hell of a guy and always had time to shoot the ****. Good prices too.

Fatstackz
09-09-2011, 9:38 AM
Dublin Guns and Knives.
Doors mysteriously shut and never reopened several months ago. All the product still there. Sign on the door says " Call ###-##### with any problems. WTF?

mymanhattan
09-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Brass Rail Guns in Hollywood

Pacific Cartridge in Santa Monica

RNJ Guns in Carson- I purchased my Glock 20 there in December 1999. At the time, they told me they were planning to close the store due onerous gun regulations in California.

Fjold
09-09-2011, 6:19 PM
Donnelly's Guns on Ocean Avenue in Lompoc.

joepamjohn
09-10-2011, 5:10 PM
Contra Costa Collectible Firearms in Walnut Creek. More so when Mike Chance (RIP) owned it. It was in my opinion the best location for high end collectible guns shy of the Las Vegas collectible show. When Chuck Good took over it was still a good place, but Chuck did not have as much of the "high end" stuff that Mike had. Either way, very sad it is gone.

jtv3062
09-11-2011, 8:03 AM
White bear in concord
Kit n koboodle in Oakley
Gun exchange Antioch
Waynes gun Dublin
M&L true value Oakley

gunprofit
09-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Gun Country Indoor Range (Modesto) My all time favorite

Argonauts Gunshop (Modesto)

arissa698
09-11-2011, 10:23 AM
B&B in North Hollywood

gunprofit
09-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Gun Country Indoor Range (Modesto)

One of the reasons I miss this store so much as that the guy also owned a ammunition factory called Minuteman Munitions. Damn, it was the most accurate ammo I have ever shot. The guy was a big time shooter and all his ammo was geared around being extremely accurate.

Also, I remember some guys tried to rob him and shot him up some. He pulled his gun and killed them all. They said he was one hell of a good shooter.

Rem222
09-11-2011, 2:34 PM
Hogans sporting goods in pleasant hill before they downsized their firearms department. They eventually went out of business due to owner retiring

I used to work there, the firearms department was pretty large at one time, even quite a bit of reloading supplies.....

bsg
09-11-2011, 2:36 PM
E. Mark Felix Guns; moved to las vegas.

Mr310
04-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Not that I like to revive an old thread, but I was reading through this and found this article from 1989 regarding two of the shops in Santa Monica. How familiar does everything in it sound?

The Santa Monica City Council has unanimously passed an emergency ordinance, modeled on a law adopted last week in Los Angeles, that immediately bans the sale of semiautomatic assault rifles within the city limits and outlaws their possession beginning May 1.

More than a dozen people, including the owners of the only two gun shops in Santa Monica, spoke against the ordinance at Tuesday night's council meeting, saying it is unconstitutional and won't work.

"It is a piece of emotional legislation, confusing to the public and unconstitutional," said E. Bruce Jochim, who has owned a gun shop on Colorado Avenue for 17 years. "We're pleading for rationalism here, not emotionalism."

Jochim, 60, a member of the National Rifle Assn., said he has never sold an AK-47 or Uzi in his shop, but he argued that the ordinance's definition of assault weapons is too broad.

For example, he said, many of the hunting and target-shooting rifles that he sells could be modified after purchase to fall into the category of "assault rifles." Those guns are included in the ban, he said, even though they do not qualify as assault rifles when Jochim sells them.

Councilman David Finkel, who originally proposed the ordinance, said there were compelling reasons to pass the ban.

"If enough cities adopt this measure, then maybe there's a better chance that Roberti's Senate bill will pass," he said, referring to a bill now before the state Senate, introduced by Sen. David A. Roberti (D-Los Angeles), that would impose a statewide ban on assault weapons. A similar bill is being carried in the Assembly by Speaker Pro Tem Mike Roos.

Finkel has called assault rifles the "scourge of the country."

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:tsS1Op2x8oMJ:articles.latimes.com/1989-03-02/news/we-421_1_gun-shop+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

diverwcw
04-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Weisser's Sporting Goods - National City

S470FM
04-07-2013, 11:51 AM

no, Weisser's has been gone for at least 15 years.

one thumb short
04-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Weisser's has been gone for a while now, I'm thinking somewhere around 6-8 years now if not longer.

Add to the San Diego list . . .

Chula Vista Guns . . . Chula Vista (they sell firearms related stuff now, not nearly as much fun as it used to be.

Frontier gun shop
Bens gun shop
Accuracy All on university ave San Diego with in a block of each other
Pacific surplus on g st

pisarski
04-07-2013, 2:37 PM
B&B in westminster
bowers in anaheim
i miss them got a lot of good deals from them

golfish
04-07-2013, 2:50 PM
I was going to say Jeff's Sproting goods in San Gabriel but I see they are still open. That's a great store.

My Grandmother bought me a Buck 119 from them back in 1971....I still have it and it looks brand new.

gef
04-07-2013, 2:54 PM

I remember both fondly.

delta9
04-07-2013, 3:43 PM

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/A-good-time-to-junk-the-gun-business-3067836.php

jbooker9
04-07-2013, 3:43 PM
I miss T&A armory in santa ana, Nice guys good service. I was always able to find something I wanted in there. Picked up a consigned 930 spx for like $365 a few years ago.

timberwoofers
04-07-2013, 3:57 PM
Western Sport Shop in San Rafael, mostly fishing/tackle but they did have long guns/shot guns and ammo. I remember my dad and i getting my first fishing pole there, good people, sad to see them go.

http://www.westernsportshop.com/

http://www.marinij.com/business/ci_19634876

big103
04-07-2013, 4:01 PM
Tabor Shooters Supplies

Franks tabor in San Bruno is gone.

ChuckW
04-07-2013, 4:25 PM
Shooters Emporium in Escondido. It was a really decent store and range.

Bsandoc40
04-07-2013, 5:14 PM
San Francisco Gun Exchange - San Francisco, CA
Tabor's - South San Francisco, CA

joepamjohn
04-07-2013, 6:28 PM
Siegles in Oakland
Traders in San Leandro... Where else would use see a gold plated Desert Eagle?

My favorite and as far as I am concerned the place with the best selection of collector grade guns..CONTRA COSTA COLLECTIBLE FIREARMS in Walnut Creek when Mike Chance (RIP) owned it. Mike was a good friend and we traveled to all the gun shows. Those were some of the best days of my life, if only I took the time to realize it then.

Still a good store when he sold it to Chuck Good, but a different store alltogether.

Now the building has also just been torn down and no one will ever know it was even there.

There was also a good pawn shop almost directly across the street from Traders and also one on Telegraph in Oakland. Spent a lot of money there impulse buying.

I know this may not be a popular statement but the 10 day wait (which somehow I recall was 15 days to begin with) actually saved me a couple of times. The "cooling off period" made me second guess my purchases on many occaisions. The days when you could flop down a credit card, sign, and walk out with an new long gun got me in financial trouble more than once.

beerman
04-07-2013, 7:17 PM
and Paul started Gunrunners but he passed away a few months ago while in sleep.:(

And Someone probably mentioned it, but there was a gunsmith in Placentia who passed away about 3 years ago and the shop closed. Was it The Gunsite? I think George was the name.

Yep,it was George. One fine gunsmith and an even finer person. RIP George, you are missed.

Yaki
04-07-2013, 7:27 PM
Trigger Hill Trading Post South Main St. Salinas

bodger
04-07-2013, 7:36 PM
Not that I like to revive an old thread, but I was reading through this and found this article from 1989 regarding two of the shops in Santa Monica. How familiar does everything in it sound?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:tsS1Op2x8oMJ:articles.latimes.com/1989-03-02/news/we-421_1_gun-shop+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Interesting, are those two shops still open in Santa Monica?

ronrichards64
04-07-2013, 7:42 PM
Cliff's was dirty but a got a good 38 there on consignment. Costa Mesa Gun store was first Dave Guns . The owner of Costa Mesa gun shop was a gunsmith and had a Heart atack. Store closed . Stanlys ,Santa Ana. Santa Ana Gunroom, Shooters Outpost Santa Ana. Gun Ranch Garden Grove. B&B Westminster, Bought my 10/22 there .

Napalm Bulldog
04-07-2013, 7:53 PM
If you remember them - post them with the city:(

Fire Power in Monterey Park
Ford's in Pasadena
B&B in Van Nuys

I remember B&B in Westminster also Arrowhead outdoors, Turners Stanton.

Mr310
04-07-2013, 8:00 PM
Interesting, are those two shops still open in Santa Monica?

Oh, no. They're long gone. Some of my friends who are a bit older than me have told me about the good old days when they ride their dirt bikes down to those stores, buy their guns and ammo, and go straight from there up into the Santa Monica Mountains where they would target practice. Shame I missed those days.

V
04-07-2013, 8:13 PM
C Crest Arms in Simi Valley
Hillsdale Sales in Simi Valley

I remember them being here when I first moved here just after the Rodney King trial/riots. When I finally got around to buying I got my S&W from B&B Hollywood just before it closed and when I came to get more they had all closed.

I think Greta's has survived since then and then we got Fort Courage and now Smoking Barrels. There are probably other non-shop front "stores/consignments/ffl suites" etc.

ferretwithacheeseknife
04-07-2013, 8:20 PM
Wildcat Sports Shop in Los Gatos, Ironically just across from the present city hall and just down the street from the high school. My buddy used to work there. One day in the late 60's he called me and said "We just got in a new .22. I think you should buy it." Turned out to be my first Ruger 10/22. I still have it.

11011500a
04-07-2013, 8:57 PM
Autolife in Modesto auto parts store, gun shop, hunting, fishing all in one. I wish I had been closer,I liked the idea of having a store like that. $400 a gallon for special 870 antifreeze. "Yes honey it's a needed purchase your car needed antifreeze."

And Valkary in Milpitas.

wild_weasel
04-08-2013, 8:01 AM
I started added them up and was suprised at how many local stores are now gone that I used to enjoy leaving my money at.

Armory of Orange – Orange
B&B – West Hollywood and Westminster
Fire Power – Monterey Park
Federal Ordinance – El Monte
Sherwood International - Northridge
Mecca Hobbies – Culver City
B&E – Cypress
Beach City Armory – Hermosa Beach
National Gun Sales – Northridge
Cliff’s Gunsmithing - Santa Ana

explorerdude
04-08-2013, 9:12 AM
Western Auto has three locations that I know of in my area. The one in Santa Fe Springs has been known to sell handguns (HK USP's, Old Colts) on rare occasions and has a small selection of ammo. The Western auto in Bell has a full-fledged gun shop (unless things have changed). And the one in LA near the Metro station is unknown whether they sell firearms related stuff.

We are actually still open in Bell. Just moved locations and now are called Western Firearms.

G-Man WC
04-08-2013, 9:23 AM
White Bear's - Concord on Monument
(Jessie Was a great guy and didn't take kindly to being robbed)
Hogans - Pleasant Hill (Great quality selection)
Siegal's - Oakland (Parade of Hoe's)
Trader's - San Leandro (Alway's a packed house)
Old West Scrounger - Sac
SF Gun Exchange - SF (One block off Market. A beautiful thing)
Man, I'm getting old
-g

SilverTauron
04-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Perhaps this is off topic, but can anyone post up reasons WHY these great gun shops aren't in business anymore?

I know the same thing's happened in Illinois, largely due to anti-gun villages and cities abusing the Building Code regs to force gun dealers out.

chainsaw
04-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Perhaps this is off topic, but can anyone post up reasons WHY these great gun shops aren't in business anymore?

Good question. And the answers will be varied.

Tabor (San Bruno): Owner retired, he was getting elderly.

Trader Sports (San Leandro): After "losing" 1700 guns over the years, publicly being known as "the king of straw sales", and being the major supplier to east bay homicides, shut down by the authorities: lost their FFL. The owner, out of spite, continued to run a sporting goods store without guns at that location for a while.

Reed's at Alum Rock: Couldn't make enough money with guns and bicycles to pay the rent for the large store. Shrank the gun store part, and moved it over to the shooting range at the airport.

National Shooting Club (the shooting range that later became Reed's): I don't know why they shut down. Financial issues? Management? The very public hostage crisis and shooting couldn't have helped much, I bet their insurance rates went through the roof after that. If you know where to look, you can still see the hole in the concrete wall where the bullet hit. I like the way the former manager describes the incident: "I had to hurt someone's feelings".

I forget the name, on a little side-street off El Camino in Santa Clara, near Scott Blvd: Couldn't make any money.

Cold War Relics in Pacific Grove: used to be owned by Hector (later of CWS fame): Closed to start a new business in a very different location (Texas and Highlands, CA). I think there were family issues involved.

Cold War Shooters: The couple who owned it got into a nasty divorce. I don't know whether one of them is operating the store now, haven't followed the soap opera. They were great help at the beginning of the OLL movement. Personally, I don't care who Michelle and Hector sleep with, but I can see that after what happened, it wasn't possible to keep it together.

Valkyrie arms (two locations in the bay area): Ran out of money, went in debt, took deposits from customers, financially spiraled out of control.

We nearly lost SJGX (San Jose Gun Exchange), they had to shut down for about a year. The old owner had a rather cavalier attitude towards paperwork, and had no respect for DoJ and ATF and tussled with them. Lost his FFL. It was difficult for his son to get a new FFL, given the close association.

As you can see: For the most part, gun stores seem to have failed under their own power. I don't see many cases where they were shut down by overbearing local agencies (like building departments). And of the two examples I gave of a store being closed by the ATF, at least one was very justified.

yoitsbruce
04-08-2013, 1:04 PM
t&a armory next to cafe lulu. i still go to cafe lulu, i miss shopping for guns with a few of the cafe girls. a good concept

oso grande
04-08-2013, 1:23 PM
Crawfords Market @ 5 points in El Monte...60 years ago.
Bought my first hand gun there...Colt 22 auto.

oso grande
04-08-2013, 1:43 PM
Gemco!

Bought a Mini 14 and 1022 from Glendora store.

demo40
04-08-2013, 1:43 PM
anyone remember " binders gun shop " in sacramento , I walked in there looking for ammo and he put me to work on the spot reloading 38/357 . and to this day I refuse to load any ,still gives me nightmares ...........

kungfumanwayne
04-08-2013, 4:03 PM
Powder horn gun shop on park ave in San Jose . Owner was a crusty old guy name Lee. Bought my first colt 1911 series 80 from him in 1987.

joepamjohn
04-23-2013, 7:09 PM

I know the same thing's happened in Illinois, largely due to anti-gun villages and cities abusing the Building Code regs to force gun dealers out.

Local pressure from the city or county anti gun folks, leases that were not renewed mainly as a result of that same pressure, restraining orders from estranged wife, shady paperwork and record keeping resulting in a vist from the FEDS and loss of FFL license, shop owners retired and closed shop, internet competition.

That explains most of the shop closures in the last 20 years over the greater Bay Area.

cnj
04-23-2013, 7:37 PM
B&B in Stanton
Southland Guns in Lake Forest

micro911
04-23-2013, 7:51 PM
I miss B&B in North Hollywood, and Pony Express in North Hills(?).

Cypriss32
04-23-2013, 7:53 PM
I miss Pony Express in burbank!

bsg
04-23-2013, 8:09 PM
JCPenny

Doghouse_Riley
04-23-2013, 9:07 PM
3 I spent a lot of time and money at:
National Gun Sales - Hawthorne
Beach Cities Armory - Hermosa Beach
Fire Power - Monterey Park

micro911
04-24-2013, 6:43 PM
JCPenny

I bought my first centerfire rifle, Remington 700 BDL in 30-06, at the JC Penney at the Glendale Galleria in early 80s. Good old times.

readyaimfire
04-25-2013, 9:38 AM

Good people at B&B. Too bad they closed awhile back. They had the best prices back in the early 90's.

readyaimfire
04-25-2013, 9:39 AM
anyone remember Gun Heaven on Olympic/Fairfax?

MFortie
04-25-2013, 1:54 PM
Anybody know the name of the gunshop that was on El Cajon Blvd. just west of 54th St. back in the mid sixties?

I used to go in there when I was in sixth grade; my first exposure to a gun store!

ScottsBad
04-25-2013, 2:12 PM
I don't know if anyone mentioned it but King's Gun Works was a 1911 specialty shop and did some awesome work. They started operation in 1949. They also made their own parts that were sought after by those in the know in the 70's and 80's.

I think someone bought the name and parts business and has an online presence.
https://2ltidw.bn1.livefilestore.com/y1ptsWFzIbY3XDr1JBKn9WKun7KQQ7bRKr6Yub81VR8RR4Leyx xp-viCupVZAuHq6ZB1ukKKiISWrXtFmetJKqXv62y800UCwS_/kings.jpg

Bangzoom
04-25-2013, 2:54 PM

1st location was on Ventura Blvd...Encino?? I bought Govt 30 40 Krag ammo there

2nd location was by Van Nuys airport near the sod farm

now I think they are in Utah

UBFRAGD
04-25-2013, 8:35 PM
Knew I'd miss Tabors, didn't know how much. Dang those was good times.

Doghouse_Riley
04-25-2013, 9:47 PM
I don't know if anyone mentioned it but King's Gun Works was a 1911 specialty shop and did some awesome work. They started operation in 1949. They also made their own parts that were sought after by those in the know in the 70's and 80's.

Oh yeah, how could I forget King's. They were into Para-ordnance mods. They did an awesome trigger job on my P14. It also has their beavertail, skeletonized commander hammer and skeletonized trigger. Great place.

Doghouse_Riley
04-25-2013, 9:50 PM
Good people at B&B. Too bad they closed awhile back. They had the best prices back in the early 90's.

I used to live a block away from B&B circa 1984. My girlfriend at the time worked there for awhile in the back office.