PDA

View Full Version : Registration of Long Guns

djbooya
08-27-2008, 8:29 PM
How many of you guys voluntarily register your long guns? The thread about losing the OLL made me think about it. Is there a reason people don't want to register what they have (other then the fee associated with it)?

I don't currently see the negative in registering all my firearms, but maybe someone can shed the light on why I wouldn't want to do that voluntarily.

Thanks,

DB2
08-27-2008, 8:38 PM
I'm not going to make it any easier for the government to know what I own. They could figure it out with some foot work, but why hand it to them.:TFH:

Liberty1
08-27-2008, 8:46 PM
How many of you guys voluntarily register your long guns? The thread about losing the OLL made me think about it. Is there a reason people don't want to register what they have (other then the fee associated with it)?

I don't currently see the negative in registering all my firearms, but maybe someone can shed the light on why I wouldn't want to do that voluntarily.

Thanks,

Anything I have that is not required to be registered is still not based on the principle that it serves no legitimate purpose and that registration has always been a precursor to confiscation. 5-4 is still too close for me to know that confiscation is forever out the window. And as it is a right IMO it is none of the government's business. If I want to have my serial #s for insurance or crime reporting purposes then there are other ways of safely storing the information until it is needed.

Now for strategic political reasons, I may be registering an OLL if that becomes the game plan as determined by Calguns HQ.

Shotgun Man
08-27-2008, 8:47 PM
Wow. If you have to ask, then you probably don't care.

While you're registering your Remington 870, may I also suggest giving your family's DNA samples to the police along with corneal imprints and bone marrow samples from the entire family including pets.

djbooya
08-27-2008, 9:26 PM
Wow. If you have to ask, then you probably don't care.

While you're registering your Remington 870, may I also suggest giving your family's DNA samples to the police along with corneal imprints and bone marrow samples from the entire family including pets.

That's kind of harsh...I was asking because I didn't know the pros/cons. Honestly, if you don't have anything productive to add to my thread, don't post.

Everyone here talks about being legal and doing everything on the up and up. Why would I assume voluntary registration is a BAD thing? Honestly, if I voluntarily registered my freaking Mak-90 back in the day I'd still have it..., but I wasn't on calguns back then and I didn't even know about the AW ban at the time... Had I registered the damn thing then there probably would have been a slight chance that I would have received some notification about the ban... Don't know if that's true or not, bu I know if I registered it when I was supposed to I'd still be able to use it :(.

Shotgun Man
08-27-2008, 9:34 PM
That's kind of harsh...I was asking because I didn't know the pros/cons. Honestly, if you don't have anything productive to add to my thread, don't post.

Everyone here talks about being legal and doing everything on the up and up. Why would I assume voluntary registration is a BAD thing? Honestly, if I voluntarily registered my freaking Mak-90 back in the day I'd still have it..., but I wasn't on calguns back then and I didn't even know about the AW ban at the time... Had I registered the damn thing then there probably would have been a slight chance that I would have received some notification about the ban... Don't know if that's true or not, bu I know if I registered it when I was supposed to I'd still be able to use it :(.

I'm sorry. I did not mean to be harsh, but I do think the infirmity of the idea of registration where registration is not compelled would be self-evident (especially for most long guns, OLLs aside).

I was trying to be productive.

djbooya
08-27-2008, 9:50 PM
I'm sorry. I did not mean to be harsh, but I do think the infirmity of the idea of registration where registration is not compelled would be self-evident (especially for most long guns, OLLs aside).

I was trying to be productive.

Thanks for the clarification, the dangers of "reading" into things on the internet. No harm no foul and my response was not intended to be "bad" in any way either.

tombinghamthegreat
08-27-2008, 10:58 PM
One IIRC you cannot register long guns, correct me if i am wrong. Two the second amendment is more designed to defend against the government itself, registration is going against what the founding fathers stood for and risk being disarmed. If the government is able to disarm our society we the people lose control resulting in our rights and would be forced to any law passed without being able to contest it.

djbooya
08-27-2008, 11:05 PM
One IIRC you cannot register long guns, correct me if i am wrong. Two the second amendment is more designed to defend against the government itself, registration is going against what the founding fathers stood for and risk being disarmed. If the government is able to disarm our society we the people lose control resulting in our rights and would be forced to any law passed without being able to contest it.

There's actually a form offered that you can use to voluntarily register your long guns. Only hand guns are required.

God Bless The Mauser
08-28-2008, 12:17 AM
Register my guns? NEVER!