PDA

View Full Version : My Dad's first fly fishing trip

Thrillbilly
08-27-2008, 7:01 PM
So my father is up visiting me at the moment, he never has been much of a fisherman let alone ever touched a fly rod. Well today all that has changed. I decided to take my father to a secret place for some nice wild Redband trout. We got up there and I was thinking man he hasn’t even cast one of these before I hope he has some fun today. After a hike we were down at the water, I tied on a fly and was showing him how to cast when a fish hit my fly (cool now I don’t need to worry about the skunk). At first I let him try my 5WT (I was hogging my 1WT). He was having issues casting it; he was casting it more like a spinning rod. I went back up stream and showed him again, and then I asked him if he wanted to try the 1WT instead. I took the 5 and started to head back to the hole I was fishing when he yelled I got one. Yes indeed for his first fish on a fly ever he caught a wild Redband. He fished the 1 for a bit longer then wanted to try the 5 again. I took the 1WT and headed to another area and started to fish I hooked one and when he started to fight out of nowhere a large Bull Trout came out hand hit him. The Bull saw me and spooked so I quickly landed the fish and released him, he sat in the water in front of me for about 5min before he swam back into the deeper water. When my father came back I asked him if he wanted to try the 1 again and he said sure I like it better anyways. So I took the 5 and threw different streamers to try to entice the Bull but I had no luck. I switched back to dries and quickly hooked another Redband when the frickin bull came out again, but this time the Redband jumped out of the water and was not hit (unfortunately for me he managed to unhook himself so I guess that I had a LDAR). We fished for awhile longer switching up rods from time to time. All in all he ended up landing 6 and LDRing another 9 or so. I ended up catching quite a few from this nice little place.

Thrillbilly
08-27-2008, 7:02 PM

Thrillbilly
08-27-2008, 7:03 PM

Thrillbilly
08-27-2008, 7:03 PM

Thrillbilly
08-27-2008, 7:04 PM

Saigon1965
08-27-2008, 7:18 PM
That's a lot of catch - Is it getting colder there? noticed you have long sleeves on.

m98
08-28-2008, 2:00 AM
good catch....beautiful scenery as well...:)

Thrillbilly
08-28-2008, 9:17 AM
Thanks!!!

Oh and the weather up here has been all over the place in the 90's one day and the next in the low 70's. When we got there in the temp was in the 40's and it was overcast, by the afternoon it had warmed up to the low 70's.