PDA

View Full Version : less than 30in not aw?

packnrat
08-27-2008, 3:00 PM
not meaning to bring up any bad.
but in the aw laws it states folding stock and gun can fire from said, in dealing with the 30 in rule.
now if one was to build/modify a folding stock that pervented the triger from being accessed while folded up would this allow a rifle to be less than 30 in when in the shotend state? due to not possable to get to the trigger?

aka like a plate and plug
plate covering one side of the trigger guard, and a "form fitting plug" covering the areas both in front of the trigger (can not get finger in there) and to the rear of it (not possable to move trigger to fire gun), filling all of the trigger guard area.

:confused:

vandal
08-27-2008, 3:06 PM
SU16

DedEye
08-27-2008, 3:27 PM
SU16

It's why there's an SU16CA (SU16C is considered an AW in California).

aplinker
08-27-2008, 4:54 PM
you could still shoot it with it half folded and still under 30".still illigal.

If there's any possible way to fire the rifle while it's under 30" (short of removing something), then it's an AW.

bohoki
08-27-2008, 5:09 PM
If there's any possible way to fire the rifle while it's under 30" (short of removing something), then it's an AW.

if it is a centerfire autoloader with a detachable magazine

Guntech
08-27-2008, 5:28 PM
Why dont you make it take it to the range and then tell us if its legal. :)

packnrat
08-27-2008, 6:09 PM
out of seven replies most are are full of fud...they did not read what i had said. please reread it.

posting #2 yes 1/2 folded, it would still be in working state so that is the right answer. thank you.

now to think real hard to find a way to disable the action when the "release" button is pushed.

this is not action in working to break any law, just a exersize in working out a problem, so as to not break any laws.
not a machinest so it is fun trying to find ways to do things. most just in thought. in ten years or more maybe one working item (not all gun realated).

if we just sat on our heads nothing would ever get built.

aplinker
08-27-2008, 8:22 PM
There isn't a single FUD in this thread. there's one joke that could be taken that way.

Your idea covers once it's closed, hence the suggestions that you need it to be incapable of firing during all times it's less than 30". It would have to be automatic and intrinsic to the rifle (i.e., you couldn't cover before folding) as the nature of having a folding stock means you measure OAL when folded.

There are plenty of ways to implement an "additional safety" that would prevent operating the rifle is the stock is folded - on something like an AK. it would take some work, though.

You can't fold an AR.

out of seven replies most are are full of fud...they did not read what i had said. please reread it.

posting #2 yes 1/2 folded, it would still be in working state so that is the right answer. thank you.

now to think real hard to find a way to disable the action when the "release" button is pushed.

this is not action in working to break any law, just a exersize in working out a problem, so as to not break any laws.
not a machinest so it is fun trying to find ways to do things. most just in thought. in ten years or more maybe one working item (not all gun realated).

packnrat
08-27-2008, 8:30 PM
There isn't a single FUD in this thread. there's one joke that could be taken that way.

Your idea covers once it's closed, hence the suggestions that you need it to be incapable of firing during all times it's less than 30". It would have to be automatic and intrinsic to the rifle (i.e., you couldn't cover before folding) as the nature of having a folding stock means you measure OAL when folded.

There are plenty of ways to implement an "additional safety" that would prevent operating the rifle is the stock is folded - on something like an AK. it would take some work, though.

You can't fold an AR.

right now the thoughts are not for any rifle, just thinking for a rifle. even if said never had a folder.
and i never thought it would be easy.

as for a ar.. given a chance one might find a way to fold one.

the best way to prove something can be done,

is to tell America it can not be done.

aplinker
08-27-2008, 8:41 PM
right now the thoughts are not for any rifle, just thinking for a rifle. even if said never had a folder.
and i never thought it would be easy.

as for a ar.. given a chance one might find a way to fold one.

the best way to prove something can be done,

is to tell America it can not be done.

OK, then if this is an academic exercise with no parameters...

Yeah, I'm 100% certain I could come up with a solution to make a non-functioning in folded configuration rifle out of any rifle you choose.

Where should this thread go, then, since we've already covered the legality? :confused:

packnrat
08-27-2008, 9:04 PM
OK, then if this is an academic exercise with no parameters...

Yeah, I'm 100% certain I could come up with a solution to make a non-functioning in folded configuration rifle out of any rifle you choose.

Where should this thread go, then, since we've already covered the legality? :confused:

not much farther.. sure it is not the greatest thread not ment to be.

but there are "paramenters" as said must work. not just on a computer modal.
part of the question (legal) was answered by the first reply. one i had not thought of.

always got to find a way to do something deffernt....but legal.

dexter9659
08-27-2008, 9:57 PM
I think UCLA is referring to something like a lock and key mechanism which disables the firing mechanism when the stock is not fully extended. Stock folded: the lock/safety disables the functionality, extended: the key unlocks and enables the functioning of the gun.

This sounds like it could be fun, complicated, and result in an awesome toy.

fun2none
08-27-2008, 10:33 PM

Mount a locking stud on the safety lever to engage safety when the stock is folded. Think of the thumb stud on a lock blade knife. This modification seems like it would take 10 minutes to make a less than 30in folding AK comply with the law. The firearm is not operational when the stock is folded, like the SU16CA.

http://home.comcast.net/~fun2none/ak-folder-lock.jpg

aplinker
08-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Mount a locking stud on the safety lever to engage safety when the stock is folded. Think of the thumb stud on a lock blade knife. This modification seems like it would take 10 minutes to make a less than 30in folding AK comply with the law. The firearm is not operational when the stock is folded, like the SU16CA.

http://home.comcast.net/~fun2none/ak-folder-lock.jpg

Did you bother reading the rest of this thread?

fun2none
08-27-2008, 11:10 PM
Did you bother reading the rest of this thread?

Is this a new posting rule before replying to a single post?