PDA

View Full Version : Brady update: CA bill tears, voting guide, domestic violance

Dont Tread on Me
08-27-2008, 3:38 PM
Today's Brady update. Please get your sick bag ready before reading further

1. CA Gun Violence Prevention Bills Stall in SEN Committee: Our two priority gun violence prevention bills did not make it out of the Senate Appropriations Committee this term. The State of California
is faced with a fiscal crisis, and very few bills, especially those with
any fiscal implications, cleared the Senate this year.

The two measures were: AB 2062 (DeLeon) which would require handgun
ammunition sellers to obtain a state license to operate and would require
new regulations to ensure sellers of handgun ammunition are legitimate,
regulated businesses; and, AB 2235 (DeSaulnier), which would require all
newly manufactured or imported handguns in California to be
"owner-authorized", or personalized in a way that would allow them to be
fired only by authorized persons.

Both authors are committed to continuing to work on these efforts. In the
meantime, we will continue to educate the public and solicit support from
organizations.

We sincerely THANK everyone who sent letters, e-mails and/or made calls in support of these two bills, and look forward to working with you
again next year!

************************************************** *********************************

2. Brady Campaign Endorsements for CA candidates: Election Day is Tuesday, November 4. It is important that we elect candidates who will work to stop the gun violence epidemic taking place in California! Check our CA Chapters website frequently to see the latest endorsements of CA candidates: http://www.bradycampaign.org/chapters/california/ Endorsements so far include:

AD-07: Noreen Evans* (Napa, Solano, and Sonoma Counties)
AD-11: Tom Torlakson (part of Contra Costa County)
AD-13: Tom Ammiano (part of San Francisco County)
AD-14: Nancy Skinner (parts of Alameda and Contra Costa Counties)
AD-15: Joan Buchanan (parts of Alameda, Contra Costa, Sacto, and San Joaquin Counties)
AD-42: Mike Feuer* (part of Los Angeles County)
AD-45: Kevin DeLeon* (part of Los Angeles County)
AD-54: Bonnie Lowenthal (parts of Los Angeles County)
AD-55: Warren Furutani* (parts of Los Angeles County)
AD-61: Norma Torres (parts of Los Angeles and San Bernardino Counties)
AD-69: Jose Solorio* (parts of Orange County)
AD-80: Manuel Perez (Imperial County and part of Riverside County)

SD-07: Mark DeSaulnier (parts of Contra Costa County)
SD-09: Loni Hancock (parts of Alameda and Contra Costa Counties)
SD-19: Hannah-Beth Jackson (parts of Los Angeles, Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties)
SD-21: Carol Liu (part of Los Angeles County)
*Incumbent
************************************************** **********************************
3. Donate to Brady Campaign Center through CFC: The Brady Center is a proud participant of the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC), the annual fund-raising drive conducted by Federal employees in their workplace each fall. Federal employees and military personnel raise millions of dollars through the CFC each year for worthy non-profit charities. http://www.bradycenter.org/donate/cfc.php

************************************************** ***********************************

4. BRADY CENTER TO PREVENT GUN VIOLENCE

For Immediate Release
Wednesday, August 27, 2008

BRADY CENTER HAILS COURT RULING
BLOCKING DOMESTIC ABUSERS FROM GETTING GUNS

Washington D.C. - The 10th Circuit Court of Appeals yesterday upheld a federal trial court ruling blocking a Wyoming law that would allow convicted domestic violence abusers to possess firearms. The court in Wyoming v. United States, as the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence had urged in its amicus brief, prohibited Wyoming from implementing its law to rearm domestic violence abusers.

The 10th Circuit ruling comes as the U.S. Supreme Court prepares to consider a case in its upcoming term concerning domestic violence abusers' gun possession, United States v. Hayes. The Brady Center filed a brief in Hayes urging the Supreme Court to overturn a circuit court ruling that could require that the names of thousands of dangerous abusers be purged from the federal Brady background check system.

Responding to the Wyoming ruling, Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence Senior Attorney Daniel Vice stated, "This ruling is an important victory for the safety of our families and communities. We should not make it easier for dangerous domestic violence abusers to obtain dangerous firearms."

Federal law prohibits anyone convicted of a domestic violence misdemeanor from possessing firearms. In rare cases where criminals are pardoned or have convictions expunged, they may regain the right to own guns. Wyoming v U.S. concerned a Wyoming statute that allowed domestic violence abusers to regain their right to possess firearms by expunging misdemeanor abuse convictions, but only for purposes of getting a firearm. The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) ruled that Wyoming could not expunge an abuser's record solely for purposes of getting a gun - either the person is a danger or he poses no threat and can have his conviction completely expunged. Wyoming sued to overturn ATF's ruling.

Nationwide, more than one-third of all homicides of female victims are caused by domestic violence abusers. Every year, between 1,000 and 1,600 women are killed by domestic violence abusers, and over two million people are assaulted by domestic abusers. Domestic violence situations are particularly dangerous for law enforcement as well, with 14 percent of police officer deaths occurring in response to domestic violence calls.

The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence is a national non-profit organization working to reduce the tragic toll of gun violence in America, through education, research, and legal advocacy. The programs of the Brady Center complement the legislative and grassroots mobilization of its sister organization, the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence with its dedicated network of Million Mom March Chapters.

RomanDad
08-27-2008, 3:46 PM
1. schadenfreude.

2. Just tells me who to vote against.

3. No chance in hell.

4. Hit your wife. Lose your guns. Fine with me.

packnrat
08-27-2008, 3:51 PM
1. schadenfreude.

2. Just tells me who to vote against.

3. No chance in hell.

4. Hit your wife. Lose your guns. Fine with me.

4a: you do nove to hit anyone...just be acused of hating them will get you charged and loss.:eek:

RomanDad
08-27-2008, 3:57 PM
4a: you do nove to hit anyone...just be acused of hating them will get you charged and loss.:eek:

You have to be convicted.

thedrickel
08-27-2008, 3:59 PM
All she has to do is make a mark on herself and say you did it. Goodbye guns!

chris
08-27-2008, 4:17 PM
those reasons and my carreer are the 2 top reasons i booted my ex out of my house. they are more important to me than her.

RomanDad
08-27-2008, 4:43 PM
All she has to do is make a mark on herself and say you did it. Goodbye guns!

Thats why I didnt marry a crazy woman.

hoffmang
08-27-2008, 5:07 PM

The issue is a bit more complex. ATF is not honoring legitimate state expungement/restoration proceedings. Always amusing to watch Brady and LCAV want local decisions except when they are pro gun...

-Gene

56Chevy
08-27-2008, 5:18 PM
Thats why I didnt marry a crazy woman.
Me too. The types who would do that crazy stuff are almost too easy to spot.

RomanDad
08-27-2008, 5:49 PM
Me too. The types who would do that crazy stuff are almost too easy to spot.

I dated several..... 100%, grade A, bat****, looney birds....

movie zombie
08-27-2008, 6:26 PM

why? once i can understand, but several? :eek:

movie zombie

RomanDad
08-27-2008, 6:42 PM

movie zombie

Live and learn....

hoffmang
08-27-2008, 7:26 PM

It's usually because they are smoking hot...

-Gene

radioburning
08-27-2008, 7:56 PM
The list of Brady-approved candidates needs to be stickied right before election day, so we have a list of people to definitely not vote for.

anthonyca
08-27-2008, 9:12 PM

You DO NOT have to be convicted.http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/mcdvbrochure.pdf

Read the section titled WHAT CAN YOU DO TO ASSIST IN IDENTIFYING AN OFFENSE THAT QUALIFIES AS AN MCDV?
The charging document.

Read the third paragraph in the section WHAT CAN YOU DO TO ASSIST IN IDENTIFYING AN OFFENSE THAT QUALIFIES AS AN MCDV? Disorderly conduct. Have any of your ever been "unreasonably loud"? That is a direct quote of something that can get you banned for life from ever touching guns or ammo and end your military or police career and pension. Even if you get into a verbal "unreasonably loud" discussion with a guy that was insulting your wife or child or anyone "domestic" to you and the police put in the REPORT that the person with the "domestic" relationship to you was scared, even if they say they were not, you can be banned for life. As most of you know the victim has no rights to say weather a crime was committed.

Read the fourth paragraph in section WHAT CAN YOU DO TO ASSIST IN IDENTIFYING AN OFFENSE THAT QUALIFIES AS AN MCDV? "Information in non court documents, such as police reports and case files can also be relied upon." Even if the court says that this is not a prohibited offence and does not qualify for a life ban but it appears that it is from the police report or "non court documents" you can be banned for life. These are all direct quotes from the U.S. Department of Justice so you have no rights if you get caught up in this in any state or tribal area.

Even if you are arrested or a police report filed that you commited domestic violence no mater how small. Spanking a child. Telling someone or your child that you are going to spank them. "offensive touching" which is battery no mater how light you touch someone in your family it is a life prohibiting offence if it is "offensive" Look up misdemeanor battery. "unreasonably loud" talking or "boisterousness". These are all direct quotes. Even if you are not convicted of these but they are in the police report and your plead to anything else or are found guilty of something else in the case no matter what it is, if any of this is in the "police report" or "non court documents" u will be banned for life even if the charges were dismissed. Even if it never gets to court and the police or a battered womens shelter or child protective services asks for a restraining order you are banned. If a neighbor calls the police on you just because they dont like you, I had a neighbor call the police on my for the Stanley Steamer van being too loud at 2 pm,and tell the dispatcher that you were commiting any off the above offences and they write a "report" or there are any "non court documents" you very may well be banned. Just ask someone who has been cought up with DOJ or NICS. If somehowe your name gets in there even if it is wrong it is very hard and expensive to get it off if at all even possible.

I am not here to defend wife beaters, I do not condone that behavior. Please know the facts before you judge people.
This link should be sent to every gun owner.

CHS
08-27-2008, 9:29 PM
Nationwide, more than one-third of all homicides of female victims are caused by domestic violence abusers. Every year, between 1,000 and 1,600 women are killed by domestic violence abusers, and over two million people are assaulted by domestic abusers. Domestic violence situations are particularly dangerous for law enforcement as well, with 14 percent of police officer deaths occurring in response to domestic violence calls.

Notice how they don't actually say how many of those 1000-1600 women were SHOT and killed. Only killed. They also don't mention how many of those men were repeat offenders (and would not have been able to own arms).

Misleading FUD. I'd like to see the real numbers.

tyrist
08-27-2008, 9:34 PM
Notice how they don't actually say how many of those 1000-1600 women were SHOT and killed. Only killed. They also don't mention how many of those men were repeat offenders (and would not have been able to own arms).

I don't personally know of any domestic violence death that was caused by a firearm, but I am sure they do occur. I think most of the time the firearm is used to intimate the victim. However, I do know of one husband who did smash his wifes head open with a bowling ball.

anthonyca
08-27-2008, 9:36 PM

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/tables/intweaptab.htm

Alot less gun killings of wifes and gfs then I thought.

RomanDad
08-27-2008, 9:41 PM

-Gene

:D:D

You DO NOT have to be convicted.http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/mcdvbrochure.pdf

Read the section titled WHAT CAN YOU DO TO ASSIST IN IDENTIFYING AN OFFENSE THAT QUALIFIES AS AN MCDV?
The charging document.

Read the third paragraph in the section WHAT CAN YOU DO TO ASSIST IN IDENTIFYING AN OFFENSE THAT QUALIFIES AS AN MCDV? Disorderly conduct. Have any of your ever been "unreasonably loud"? That is a direct quote of something that can get you banned for life from ever touching guns or ammo and end your military or police career and pension. Even if you get into a verbal "unreasonably loud" discussion with a guy that was insulting your wife or child or anyone "domestic" to you and the police put in the REPORT that the person with the "domestic" relationship to you was scared, even if they say they were not, you can be banned for life. As most of you know the victim has no rights to say weather a crime was committed.

Read the fourth paragraph in section WHAT CAN YOU DO TO ASSIST IN IDENTIFYING AN OFFENSE THAT QUALIFIES AS AN MCDV? "Information in non court documents, such as police reports and case files can also be relied upon." Even if the court says that this is not a prohibited offence and does not qualify for a life ban but it appears that it is from the police report or "non court documents" you can be banned for life. These are all direct quotes from the U.S. Department of Justice so you have no rights if you get caught up in this in any state or tribal area.

Even if you are arrested or a police report filed that you commited domestic violence no mater how small. Spanking a child. Telling someone or your child that you are going to spank them. "offensive touching" which is battery no mater how light you touch someone in your family it is a life prohibiting offence if it is "offensive" Look up misdemeanor battery. "unreasonably loud" talking or "boisterousness". These are all direct quotes. Even if you are not convicted of these but they are in the police report and your plead to anything else or are found guilty of something else in the case no matter what it is, if any of this is in the "police report" or "non court documents" u will be banned for life even if the charges were dismissed. Even if it never gets to court and the police or a battered womens shelter or child protective services asks for a restraining order you are banned. If a neighbor calls the police on you just because they dont like you, I had a neighbor call the police on my for the Stanley Steamer van being too loud at 2 pm,and tell the dispatcher that you were commiting any off the above offences and they write a "report" or there are any "non court documents" you very may well be banned. Just ask someone who has been cought up with DOJ or NICS. If somehowe your name gets in there even if it is wrong it is very hard and expensive to get it off if at all even possible.

I am not here to defend wife beaters, I do not condone that behavior. Please know the facts before you judge people.
This link should be sent to every gun owner.

Um... The title is "Information Needed to Keep Gun out of the Hands of Persons Convicted of an MCDV" (misdemeanor Crime of Domestic Violence)

You still need to be CONVICTED....

You dont seem to like the BREADTH of what you can be convicted of to qualify as an MCDV, but the fact remains... YOU HAVE TO BE CONVICTED...

But to that end the paragraph you point to explains that the Criminal Complaint should specifically describe the nature of the underlying crime so that the FBI can decide whether it is an MCDV.... I do not read that to mean "Boisterousness" is a MCDV crime.

anthonyca
08-27-2008, 9:50 PM

-Gene

That does cause you to overlook some obvious nutjob flags. I even tried a big fat slob and that didn't work out much better. Maybee its me.

jerryg1776
08-27-2008, 10:54 PM

-Gene

Yeah and the sex is great! Crazy woman lovin'... hang on to you *** and let it ride baby. Just leave in a few weeks before the mind games and emo stuff kicks in!

anthonyca
08-27-2008, 11:10 PM
:D:D

Um... The title is "Information Needed to Keep Gun out of the Hands of Persons Convicted of an MCDV" (misdemeanor Crime of Domestic Violence)

You still need to be CONVICTED....

You dont seem to like the BREADTH of what you can be convicted of to qualify as an MCDV, but the fact remains... YOU HAVE TO BE CONVICTED...

But to that end the paragraph you point to explains that the Criminal Complaint should specifically describe the nature of the underlying crime so that the FBI can decide whether it is an MCDV.... I do not read that to mean "Boisterousness" is a MCDV crime.

Exactly my point so the FBI can decide. Not a jurry or your peers or even a judge. They can make thier own determination with out sworn testomony and add restrictions to your consitutional rights after the fact. It can be retro active with no time limit. I am not trying to insult you. If your have ever been cought up in this or know someone who has you would feel differently.

Did you read this link? In the section about what is MCDV "boisterousness" is a probiting offence. It is their words not mine. The point is that NICS DOJ cal DOJ can look at your arrest record and make the determination that you are prohibited even if you were not convicted of one of these offences. Many people are caught up in DV charges and don't have the money or will to fight false charges. Someone may plead to something they think will just make it go away such as disorderly conduct or closing the front door too hard on the way out. DOJ can look at the "police report" or "non court documents" and make the determination that you are banned. That does not mean you were convicted of a prohibiting offence.

This is from an actual case. A guy in the ARMY Reserve has the police called on him, by a fat woman that wanted to date him and he wanted nothing to do with her. He is arrested even though his girlfriend who he is just "banging", not living with or has a child ect, says that he didn't hit her or threaten her. He goes to court and pleads to a non prohibiting offence because he doesn't qualify for a public defender and ran out of money for a private lawyer and needs to go back to work before he gets fired. He passes the lautenberg amendment test that the ARMY does on him for his secret clearance because he was not convicted of a prohibiting offence because he plead to kicking a car while leaving. Yes he lost his head and it was not smart and he learned from it. The DA dissmissed the other charges which is very rare.

Now 12 years later he goes to DROS a gun. The dept of justice sees that he has an arrest record and puts a hold on. The woman decides from reading the "arrest record" and "non court documents" that he kicked the car while exibiting "boisterousness" even when he was out of her sight. She makes the determination that he is BANNED FOR LIFE from ever touching guns or ammo. Remember the court said it was not Domestic Violence.

That is seperate from if the person actually commited a crime in the first place. It is very easy for someone to call the police on you just to mess up your life, in a custody case, because you started goin to they gym and met a hot new gf ect.
http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/mcdvbrochure.pdf

yellowfin
08-27-2008, 11:44 PM

movie zombie
Only choices on the menu in a lot of places, apparently. Otherwise they'd be properly kicked to the curb and left starving like they deserve.

BillCA
08-28-2008, 12:35 AM

-Gene

Just remember, no matter how hot she is...
Somebody, somewhere, is tired of putting up with her s***!

RomanDad
08-28-2008, 6:23 AM
Exactly my point so the FBI can decide. Not a jurry or your peers or even a judge. They can make thier own determination with out sworn testomony and add restrictions to your consitutional rights after the fact. It can be retro active with no time limit. I am not trying to insult you. If your have ever been cought up in this or know someone who has you would feel differently.

Did you read this link? In the section about what is MCDV "boisterousness" is a probiting offence. It is their words not mine. The point is that NICS DOJ cal DOJ can look at your arrest record and make the determination that you are prohibited even if you were not convicted of one of these offences. Many people are caught up in DV charges and don't have the money or will to fight false charges. Someone may plead to something they think will just make it go away such as disorderly conduct or closing the front door too hard on the way out. DOJ can look at the "police report" or "non court documents" and make the determination that you are banned. That does not mean you were convicted of a prohibiting offence.

This is from an actual case. A guy in the ARMY Reserve has the police called on him, by a fat woman that wanted to date him and he wanted nothing to do with her. He is arrested even though his girlfriend who he is just "banging", not living with or has a child ect, says that he didn't hit her or threaten her. He goes to court and pleads to a non prohibiting offence because he doesn't qualify for a public defender and ran out of money for a private lawyer and needs to go back to work before he gets fired. He passes the lautenberg amendment test that the ARMY does on him for his secret clearance because he was not convicted of a prohibiting offence because he plead to kicking a car while leaving. Yes he lost his head and it was not smart and he learned from it. The DA dissmissed the other charges which is very rare.

Now 12 years later he goes to DROS a gun. The dept of justice sees that he has an arrest record and puts a hold on. The woman decides from reading the "arrest record" and "non court documents" that he kicked the car while exibiting "boisterousness" even when he was out of her sight. She makes the determination that he is BANNED FOR LIFE from ever touching guns or ammo. Remember the court said it was not Domestic Violence.

That is seperate from if the person actually commited a crime in the first place. It is very easy for someone to call the police on you just to mess up your life, in a custody case, because you started goin to they gym and met a hot new gf ect.
http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/mcdvbrochure.pdf

Why is it that I don't live my life in fear of being wrongly convicted of a crime because I was the victim of circumstances, and then the system will spin out of control on me? You make life sound like the plot of a really bad Lifetime Movie of the Week.... Only the genders are reversed.... Seriously... Get a grip. Relax... If you're living your life in such a manner that at any moment a friend or acquaintance might have you falsely arrested... GET NEW FRIENDS.

If I get convicted of ANY crime my life is completely SCREWED.... Losing a few guns is the LEAST of my troubles.... I lose my career.... Yet I have ZERO worries that I'm going to somehow be falsely accused of domestic violence, or disturbing the peace or any other domestic nonsense. Because I don't live life in such a manner that that's even a possibility. My wife is sane... My Neighbors are sane. My friends are sane, and in the nearly 40 years I've been on the planet, nobody has ever called the cops just to mess with me. I don't have a girlfriend, nor do I want one. I don't drink to excess and I don't use narcotics or any other substances that cause people to act stupid, nor do I associate with people who do. In short, I don't engage in activities that invite craziness into my life.

I know there are crazy women in the world and when you're single you inevitably meet some... Here's my best advise. The first outburst wont be when she throws herself down a flight of stairs and says you pushed her.... It will be something subtle... Something small... But completely irrational and nutty.... The first time she exhibits just that little bit of craziness, RUN.... RUN LIKE THE WIND... Because that's just the tip of the iceberg. If you don't, everything after that is your fault and you can chalk up what comes next as the cost of schtooping her...

Legally, I have to draw the line somewhere.... And I draw it when you get convicted of a crime.... Don't bellyache that it was too expensive to fight it, or you just wanted to get on with your life, or you didn't know what the consequences would be.... Thats why there are attorneys. Didn't bother to get one, because you had better things to spend your money on? Tough... If you're innocent, you fight it. If you plead out or go to trial and lose. That's that in my book.

Ford8N
08-28-2008, 7:02 AM
Why is it that I don't live my life in fear of being wrongly convicted of a crime because I was the victim of circumstances, and then the system will spin out of control on me? You make life sound like the plot of a really bad Lifetime Movie of the Week.... Only the genders are reversed.... Seriously... Get a grip. Relax... If you're living your life in such a manner that at any moment a friend or acquaintance might have you falsely arrested... GET NEW FRIENDS.

If I get convicted of ANY crime my life is completely SCREWED.... Losing a few guns is the LEAST of my troubles.... I lose my career.... Yet I have ZERO worries that I'm going to somehow be falsely accused of domestic violence, or disturbing the peace or any other domestic nonsense. Because I don't live life in such a manner that that's even a possibility. My wife is sane... My Neighbors are sane. My friends are sane, and in the nearly 40 years I've been on the planet, nobody has ever called the cops just to mess with me. I don't have a girlfriend, nor do I want one. I don't drink to excess and I don't use narcotics or any other substances that cause people to act stupid, nor do I associate with people who do. In short, I don't engage in activities that invite craziness into my life.

I know there are crazy women in the world and when you're single you inevitably meet some... Here's my best advise. The first outburst wont be when she throws herself down a flight of stairs and says you pushed her.... It will be something subtle... Something small... But completely irrational and nutty.... The first time she exhibits just that little bit of craziness, RUN.... RUN LIKE THE WIND... Because that's just the tip of the iceberg. If you don't, everything after that is your fault and you can chalk up what comes next as the cost of schtooping her...

Legally, I have to draw the line somewhere.... And I draw it when you get convicted of a crime.... Don't bellyache that it was too expensive to fight it, or you just wanted to get on with your life, or you didn't know what the consequences would be.... Thats why there are attorneys. Didn't bother to get one, because you had better things to spend your money on? Tough... If you're innocent, you fight it. If you plead out or go to trial and lose. That's that in my book.

Outstanding, that sums up what I would say too.

I notice that folks have a hard time looking in the mirror and admitting to the person looking back that it's their fault. It must be human nature. I see it all the time.

GaryPowersLives
08-28-2008, 8:51 AM
That does cause you to overlook some obvious nutjob flags. I even tried a big fat slob and that didn't work out much better. Maybee its me.

FLMAO :TFH:

WokMaster1
08-28-2008, 8:58 AM

LMAO. Like they said, F'ed in the head, great in bed......

Your several just reminds me of a Chinese restaurant menu. 600 items but when you really dig in, you'll see
Shrimp with snow peas & water chestnuts
Beef with snow peas & water chestnuts
Chicken with snow peas & water chestnuts
Frog legs with snow peas & water chestnuts
Abalone with snow peas & water chestnuts
Cod with snow peas & water chestnuts
Tofu with snow peas & water chestnuts

Same sauce, too mind you.:D

futureExpat
08-28-2008, 10:43 AM

-Gene

ROTFL oh so truuueee

I had to learn the hard way!

Theseus
08-28-2008, 9:36 PM
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/tables/intweaptab.htm

Alot less gun killings of wifes and gfs then I thought.

Not to hi-jack the thread. . but I thought this was interesting by point that since these numbers list...Less men have been killed by guns. Makes me happy! :) I think I am safe.

I wish this would include the gender of perp. . . i.e. Male/Male, Male/Female, Female/Female..etc.

Dont Tread on Me
08-28-2008, 9:39 PM
During my divorce guns restraining orders, domestic violence claims etc. were all used as powerful bargaining chips. I never touched her but once her lawyer saw a sizable gun collection on the assets (you have to declare everything) he played that card.

BillCA
08-29-2008, 5:58 AM
To me the most appalling thing is that if one party flat out lies about a DV incident and it's uncovered, the most they get charged with is misdemeanor "making a false police report".

About seven years ago, a guy's g/f got all bent at a new years eve party. He wanted to leave at 1am and she was having fun and didn't want to leave. At least they stepped outside to argue. Six of us were outside smoking and watched. Finally, he angrily drove off. A week later the host is contacting guests because she filed a DV complaint saying that he smacked her around and tried to pull her to the car by her hair.

If that's not bad enough, after the charge was dropped, he had to push hard on the DA's office to file charges against her for making a false report. When they did, her pro-bono lawyer tried to make it a case of "harassment" but the judge, at least, would have none of it. Total damage to her was a $150 fine. Big whoopie.

Dont Tread on Me
08-29-2008, 7:43 AM
BillCA - you understand the way the system is weighted. Almost guilty until proven innocent for the guy. It was only that I spent a lot of money a good lawyer that made my ex-wife think twice about taking the stand and purging herself.

The moral of this story is, don't hook up with a mentally unstable women no matter how hot she is:)

anthonyca
08-29-2008, 5:44 PM

The "victim" did not call the police. Her fat friend who was a tramp and had been making passes at her bf called. She was jealous that her friend had him and she didn't and wanted to hurt them both. The "victim" would not cooperate and the police told her she could be arrested for obstructing justice. She still would not go along and they went and arrested him anyway. The battered womans shelter started harassing her at work so much that everyone in her office thought that she was a drama queen and started treating her differently. They told her boss that she had battered womans syndrome and that is why she wouldn't take their calls and they needed to put them through to her extension or that would send someone down there.

The DA dismissed all the domestic violence charges. If they had any belief that he really did beat or hit her they would not have done that. He still has his rights banned for life even after no dv conviction due to some clerk making their own ruling from reading the police report and that one womans statement AFTER the judge and DA said he did not commit domestic violence, thereby over ruling the court.

When you say that he could have got a better lawyer and fight he did till he ran out of his savings. His lawyer said the DA dissmissed the domestic violence charges just plead no contest to kicking the car and you can get it expunged in a few months and it will all be over and nothing will be on your record. She did not know about some clerk at the FBI or ATF goin back and reading "police reports" and "non court documents" and making thier own determination.

The man who I am speaking of did not drink or do any drugs or associate with drug users. He had never been in trouble before this incident and has not been in any kind of trouble in the 12 years since this happened. I do not live my life in fear but I am prepared for many circumstances such as an earthquake, SHTF ect. My dad used to manage a housing project in the western edition is San Francisco so I have been in my share of fights and seen some really horrible human behavior growing up around that place part of my life. If I loose my job I can get another one because I am good at what I do and make my employer a lot of money. I get offers fairly regularly so I am not worried about my career. I am still more affected by what happened to this guy because it was his own government that did this to him and it was wrong.

Over half of marriages will end in divorce and AARP tells us that in later years it is much more common for the wife to file then the husband. Anyone involved in a divorce knows that no everything it true on both sides and if any mention of domestic violence comes up against you to make her case look better you could be in a situation like this man and hundreds of thousands of others.

That being said most of the time the only way to know what I am talking about is to have it happen to you or watch them take your friend away when you were with him when the alleged assault occured and you know he is an innocent man and even the "victim" said it did not happen. Then the real hell starts. When some clerk reads that link I sent you its for the rest of your life.

anthonyca
08-29-2008, 5:53 PM
The point of my first post was not to argue with anyone who is sure this will never happen to them. It was to give more info to someone who is having their DROS denied and no clear answer why. And to voice my opinion about how office workers can violate someones second amendment right even after a court says that they did not commit the crime they were arrested for.

If enough people say I will never be in that situation so I don't care then this will get worse until they get to you. Maybe for being a member of a board they consider to be violent.

joea
08-30-2008, 7:42 AM
LMAO. Like they said, F'ed in the head, great in bed...... Crazy in the head crazy in the bed :nuts: :helpsmilie: :smilielol5::wacko: :taz::willy_nilly: