PDA

View Full Version : Good places for Coyote hunting?

Matt@EntrepriseArms
08-27-2008, 8:53 AM
I live in the L.A. area, and am looking for some good places for coyote hunting. Anybody know of any good spots?

Yes, I will be using non lead bullets :43:

Pronghorn
08-27-2008, 10:15 AM
There are great places about 2 hours north of you. I use a bow, so the lead thing is a non-issue for me.

Matt@EntrepriseArms
08-27-2008, 2:31 PM
where are those places? If it means that there is a really good chance I will bag some coyotes, then I am willing to drive 2 hrs!

Pronghorn
08-27-2008, 4:04 PM
Carissa plains between 166, and 58, west of 33. There is 100's of 1000's of acres to hunt.

CHS
08-27-2008, 4:20 PM
Carissa plains between 166, and 58, west of 33. There is 100's of 1000's of acres to hunt.

You can hunt on Carrizo Plain National Monument? I thought guns were verboten?

Hey Matt, if you find a place, want company? :)

chris
08-27-2008, 5:19 PM

yes you can hunt there. i have not been there for a while but i have taken a few coyotes there. my friend took a deer and we took a big pig there also.

The Cable Guy
08-27-2008, 5:49 PM
Question about hunting in general. Say you get a couple coyotes. What do you do next?

Splinter
08-27-2008, 5:57 PM
Make some mittens?

RobT2K
08-27-2008, 8:42 PM
Leave them there.

CHS
08-27-2008, 8:43 PM
Question about hunting in general. Say you get a couple coyotes. What do you do next?

Eat their brains and then make loin cloths for your friends out of their pelts.

Gnome
08-27-2008, 10:58 PM

I second his question. What do you do after the kill. I've never heard of eating coyote, although I'm sure some people do. Most people can't afford to mount the kill, so what happens with the carcass? Just curious.

Pronghorn
08-28-2008, 5:27 AM
I trade the pelts for Paiote.:p

Matt@EntrepriseArms
08-28-2008, 8:54 AM
I second his question. What do you do after the kill. I've never heard of eating coyote, although I'm sure some people do. Most people can't afford to mount the kill, so what happens with the carcass? Just curious.

Take pictures, poke it with a stick for a little while, and then leave it for the endangered California Condors to come eat!

No, I don't intend to eat them or skin them, and the taxidermy fees would probably be too expensive to mount the head (not to mention I don't particularly want a Coyote head mounted in my living room), so I just plan to shoot them and leave them where they fall.

Timberwolf
08-28-2008, 9:01 AM

Leave 'em where they lay . . . their brothers will enjoys the feast (other yotes) as will hawks, turkey vultures, etc

sorensen440
08-28-2008, 9:06 AM

well the first one you ever shoot you will probably want to skin and then after you learn how much fun that is you will leave them where they drop

Matt@EntrepriseArms
08-28-2008, 3:00 PM

Possibly! I may go either Sunday or Monday, and still need to figure out exactly where.

Pronghorn
08-28-2008, 3:36 PM
Possibly! I may go either Sunday or Monday, and still need to figure out exactly where.

From the 5 go south to 119. Just before you get to Taft make a right onto Midway road (first stoplight after the left curve before Taft). Take Midway road past 33 (it will veer north after crossing over 33). You will go through the oilfields for about 5 miles. You will dead end into an oilfield road. Make a left (the only way you can go) at the dead end, and go west. You will go past a cattle crossing to a gate (sometimes it's open, sometimes it's not. If it's closed, remember to close it behind you).

If you have a 4X4 you can go up the canyon to your right. There is excellent hunting after you clear the canyon.

If you don't have 4X4, stay on the dirt road and go over the pass. On the other side there is BLM as far as you can see.

Good luck!

jkcerda
08-28-2008, 4:13 PM
any good places near the inland empire?
bow hunting for me.
rifle for my son.

Matt@EntrepriseArms
08-28-2008, 4:17 PM
From the 5 go south to 119. Just before you get to Taft make a right onto Midway road (first stoplight after the left curve before Taft). Take Midway road past 33 (it will veer north after crossing over 33). You will go through the oilfields for about 5 miles. You will dead end into an oilfield road. Make a left (the only way you can go) at the dead end, and go west. You will go past a cattle crossing to a gate (sometimes it's open, sometimes it's not. If it's closed, remember to close it behind you).

If you have a 4X4 you can go up the canyon to your right. There is excellent hunting after you clear the canyon.

If you don't have 4X4, stay on the dirt road and go over the pass. On the other side there is BLM as far as you can see.

Good luck!

Excellent!

Any particular time of day? Traditionally, I think its usually dawn or dusk, but is there good hunting all day long?

Pronghorn
08-28-2008, 5:00 PM
I've called'em in to bow range all day. Yotes are pretty thick out there.

Sydwaiz
08-28-2008, 6:57 PM
Uh, who owns the gate? Matt won't be tresspassing will he?

My first one, I wiped some of the blood on my rifle as a little good luck initiation ritual! Took a picture and left it where it lay. My gun was spray painted and the barrel was stainless so I wasn't worried about blood pitting.

Pronghorn
08-28-2008, 7:09 PM
Uh, who owns the gate? Matt won't be tresspassing will he?

No. It's BLM land. BLM leases the grazing rights to cattle ranchers, that's why the gates/fences are there.

Sydwaiz
08-28-2008, 7:23 PM
So there is no lock on the gate? I've heard of other BLM areas where the ranchers actually lock the gate.

Pronghorn
08-29-2008, 5:44 AM
So there is no lock on the gate? I've heard of other BLM areas where the ranchers actually lock the gate.

Nope, just a cowboy gate (wire, and a wooden pole for you city boys;))

scr83jp
08-29-2008, 7:23 AM
I live in the L.A. area, and am looking for some good places for coyote hunting. Anybody know of any good spots?

Yes, I will be using non lead bullets :43:We have yotes,bobcats,mtn lions,skunks,opussums,foxes in town but we're not that far from the san bernardino mtns and national forest.While driving out Chapman Heights Road in the Crafton Hills in Yucaipa I saw a yote walking down the sidewalk.We have Eurasian Collared Doves,Mourning Doves,Bandtailed Pigeons,Valley Quail,coming in to get water & gather seed pods from mustard plants and fruit from CA Elderberry shrubs.

gibbygoo
09-01-2008, 6:20 PM

Good luck!

Crokersprings road? It was busy up there today.

Pronghorn
09-01-2008, 7:24 PM
Crokersprings road? It was busy up there today.

Yep, Crocker Springs road. I couldn't think of it.

Bobula
09-01-2008, 7:29 PM
I got one with a vw once.

Matt@EntrepriseArms
09-02-2008, 8:46 AM
Ok,

So on Sunday my buddy and I (after an extensive search for non-lead .223) headed up to the area described by Pronghorn. Everything was going good, but at the end of the directions he posted, things just didn't quite add up as far as the turns went.

We drove all over the damn place, but unfortunately it looked like someplace out of a Stephen King novel with all the oil pumps and dirt roads that connect them and go nowhere. I started thinking about that movie "The Hills have Eyes"............

Anyway, we tried stopping at the fire station, post office, and a diner to ask directions, but they were all closed. So we finally found a dirt road that seemed to head up into the hills. I don't think it was the right one, though, because we never found the cowcatcher with the gate.

We drove all over the damn hills, but never say a coyote. We glassed some, and did some calls, but nada.

I checked out a couple of those water tanks for cows for coyote tracks (figuring that they might drink there too), but all I saw were deer and cow tracks, along with a huge footprint that I'm pretty sure belongs to a Yeti. Yup, Bigfoot! I took a pic with my cellphone, so if I can ever figure out how to download it to my computer, I'll post it.

So we gave up around 4pm, and decided to get something to eat and head over to a place I've gone to before over north of Lancaster. I should mention that I've never had luck at that place either.

So we get there and do a hunt at dusk. We see coyote and deer tracks all over the place, and figure we have a good spot. We called and called until it got dark, but nada again :(

So I am forced to report that the coyotes won that day :(

xYourLocalAR15x
10-05-2008, 10:33 PM
sorry to hear that! I just google mapped the area and found that crocker springs road but it doesnt seem like that road ends.

Where you from? maybe next time I'll tag along! :O

Ok,

So on Sunday my buddy and I (after an extensive search for non-lead .223) headed up to the area described by Pronghorn. Everything was going good, but at the end of the directions he posted, things just didn't quite add up as far as the turns went.

We drove all over the damn place, but unfortunately it looked like someplace out of a Stephen King novel with all the oil pumps and dirt roads that connect them and go nowhere. I started thinking about that movie "The Hills have Eyes"............

Anyway, we tried stopping at the fire station, post office, and a diner to ask directions, but they were all closed. So we finally found a dirt road that seemed to head up into the hills. I don't think it was the right one, though, because we never found the cowcatcher with the gate.

We drove all over the damn hills, but never say a coyote. We glassed some, and did some calls, but nada.

I checked out a couple of those water tanks for cows for coyote tracks (figuring that they might drink there too), but all I saw were deer and cow tracks, along with a huge footprint that I'm pretty sure belongs to a Yeti. Yup, Bigfoot! I took a pic with my cellphone, so if I can ever figure out how to download it to my computer, I'll post it.

So we gave up around 4pm, and decided to get something to eat and head over to a place I've gone to before over north of Lancaster. I should mention that I've never had luck at that place either.

So we get there and do a hunt at dusk. We see coyote and deer tracks all over the place, and figure we have a good spot. We called and called until it got dark, but nada again :(

So I am forced to report that the coyotes won that day :(

Pronghorn
10-06-2008, 5:34 AM
I just checked MApquest. The directions I gave should have got you there. Midway road turns into Mocal, but if you kept following the road to the dead end that wouldn't matter.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Taft&state=CA#a/maps/m::9:35.183046:-119.570072:0::/e

If you want to try it again let me know, you can follow me out.:)

sorry to hear that! I just google mapped the area and found that crocker springs road but it doesnt seem like that road ends.

Where you from? maybe next time I'll tag along! :O

cal3gunner
10-06-2008, 8:06 AM
so have you gotten any yotes yet? Where did you get the non lead ammo and how much? best I can find is about $30 for 20 rounds of 223 corbon dpx online.

Pronghorn
10-06-2008, 11:57 AM
so have you gotten any yotes yet? Where did you get the non lead ammo and how much? best I can find is about $30 for 20 rounds of 223 corbon dpx online.

Arrows are already non-lead.;)

Got a few last spring, been concentrating on deer since July. You need to get into reloading if you are going to use non/lead for varmints. It's nothing to burn up a hundred rounds shooting squirrel in an afternoon.

Matt@EntrepriseArms
10-06-2008, 7:41 PM
I just checked MApquest. The directions I gave should have got you there. Midway road turns into Mocal, but if you kept following the road to the dead end that wouldn't matter.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Taft&state=CA#a/maps/m::9:35.183046:-119.570072:0::/e

If you want to try it again let me know, you can follow me out.:)

I think we'll have to arrange a meet-up! I'm also new to coyote hunting, so I will appreciate any tips you can give me.

Pronghorn
10-06-2008, 7:47 PM
I think we'll have to arrange a meet-up! I'm also new to coyote hunting, so I will appreciate any tips you can give me.

Anytime after deer season. PM me.:)