PDA

View Full Version : Wild Boar Hunting

tommyid1
08-26-2008, 10:52 PM
looking for a pig hunt. Im relatively new to the hunting game and was wondering about areas within a few hours for hunting wild boar. im in concord

Thanks,
Tom

WhoDat
08-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Would love to see what you come up with...

I'm in the same boat.

Gunaria
08-27-2008, 12:49 AM
Here check this link out; http://www.stancounty.com/ER/PARKS/deer-hunting.shtm

JayDeeSacramento
08-27-2008, 9:22 AM
I go out on private land in Monterey County near Parkfield. When out deer hunting two weeks ago we saw about a dozen pigs but they were too far away and we were focusing on shooting deer. I'm going out the last week of October though so I'll post my report.

WhoDat
08-27-2008, 9:56 AM
Awesome link!

Thanks for that!

Here check this link out; http://www.stancounty.com/ER/PARKS/deer-hunting.shtm

djbooya
08-27-2008, 10:25 AM
I go out on private land in Monterey County near Parkfield. When out deer hunting two weeks ago we saw about a dozen pigs but they were too far away and we were focusing on shooting deer. I'm going out the last week of October though so I'll post my report.

Is this land a piece the general public can use or is it a friend of yours?

For the others, I've considered going here:

http://www.redbankhunting.com/hog.html

JayDeeSacramento
08-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Is this land a piece the general public can use or is it a friend of yours?

For the others, I've considered going here:

http://www.redbankhunting.com/hog.html

700 for a hog that's a lot.

I'll have to find out how much our guide charges for pig hunts.

djbooya
08-27-2008, 11:25 AM
700 for a hog that's a lot.

I'll have to find out how much our guide charges for pig hunts.

Thanks, I'd be interested to hear since I've never gone I don't really know what "expensive" is at this point.

Spyduh
08-27-2008, 1:42 PM
I bought a pig tag this year also. Looking for a a guided pig hunt. Something in NorCal/Bay Area. let me know what you guys find. I'm interested in booking one also.

Maybe we can get a group/CGN discount from the guide.

tommyid1
08-27-2008, 2:00 PM
This is all good info guys. Is there any website or resource that lists all the pig hunting locations prices etc. maybe we should put together a guide once we get all the info .

maybe jsut sticky what we think is a good guide for pigs in ca i think this one is great.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/publications/docs/pigguide.pdf

Pronghorn
08-27-2008, 2:27 PM
Hunter Liggett is covered up.

westcoastr
08-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Public land pig hunts within 3-4 hours of SF are really just 1) long hikes with a rifle, and 2) scouting trips for turkey and deer. only about 350 pigs are taken on public land (some use dogs). Most of those are from FHL and a number of lottery-style hunts at parkside, east park, lake sonoma..etc. my educated guess that only about 100 of the 350 pigs are true DIY public land pigs. Now that I've ruined your day....

Find some oak studded hillside/meadow way the heck away from roads and trails and glass these during dusk and dawn. Then hit the brush mid day (not in summer) and scout for tracks, trails, scat, rooting, wallows, rubs, and beds. Then pull pull the ticks off of your hide for the next few days. Then after a 2 years of this, ante up and pay for a private land hunt to shoot a baited and human fed porker! all sarcasm aside, public pig hunts usually take many many trips - this is the obvious result of a year round season w/ no limits. I don't know how many people I have met that have hunted xxx public land for years and never even seen a pig. This is obvious as to the huge number of posts on pig forums asking where are the pigs.

The good news is that if you get a true DIY public land pig - you are a rockstar, it is probably the hardest animal to bag in CA.

search these boards as well as California Predators Club, and Jesse's outdoors for locations in addition to the CAL DFG guide and try Bob Robb's book. its old but good.

at first you will have a hard time telling the difference between deer and pig tracks, in soft soil or if going downhill sometimes you can see the much wider dew claws of the pigs. dropping are usually much larger but vary by diet. wallows are a great sign, as are rubs, which look like a muddy 18-24" tall pig rubbed his side against a tree. rootings look like someone rototilled under an oak tree.

good luck!

SJgunguy24
08-29-2008, 6:22 PM
Hang out at Gavilan golf course after sunset with night vision. You have a bow..... Naw don't do that those guy's get paid to kill those hogs. Maybe the next time Santa Clara County need a bit of "Feral Pig Remediation" at Grant Ranch they can offer special tags to us. Hey I almost got one at my buddys pad in San Jose. The pigs were coming down from the hills and tearing up everybody yards at night. The city and County were blaming each other,what ever they both suck.

08-29-2008, 7:38 PM
Thanks for the links Gunaria!

lauj87
08-30-2008, 5:50 AM
yeah it just sucks theres soo many tree huggers in the bay area. i go to the metcalf gun range alot....almost ran over a whole family of them running accross the road.

JayDeeSacramento
08-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Thanks, I'd be interested to hear since I've never gone I don't really know what "expensive" is at this point.

I talked to my dad and our guide charges $350 a day + $150 if you shoot a pig. (Obviously I'm spoiled and my retired father pays for my trips). I've been successful every time I've gone out with him. He got me my first pig and my first buck this last year. This is near San Miguel, California. I'll get in touch with him and find out if he's open to having his information put on an internet forum for the purposes of advertisement...Dude is a killer though and a great personality.

There is nothing worse than a hunting of fishing guide that's an *******....and there are plenty of them out there I've met in my life.