PDA

View Full Version : Best Trap Shotgun

littlejake
08-26-2008, 4:34 PM
I know I am going to get a lot of opinions on this... and I appreciate all who give me their opinion. Back in the 70's, I enjoyed shooting trap at informal meets on Chevron land. I didn't have the best gun for it -- a Rem 870 Wingmaster, 30 inch full choke. Still, I enjoyed it. Now, I'd like to get back into it with a nice shotgun. I'm thinking a Browning Citori O/U, 12 ga, 28 inch with interchangable chokes. I've never shot skeet -- and might want to shoot skeet also.

All opinions welcome -- Little Jake

tankerman
08-26-2008, 4:42 PM
Winchester Model 12 Trap

rg_1111@yahoo.com
08-26-2008, 5:17 PM
What's your budget?
What shotgun do you shoot the best?
Are you really into Trap?
If you want to brake the bank Perazzi.
Sense your use to a 870. Get a 870 Trap with changeable chokes.

littlejake
08-26-2008, 6:06 PM
Good questions rg. I could go as high as $5,000; but would prefer to stay in the $3,000 range. Most of my shotgun experience is with the Remington 870 -- In fact, my defense SG is the 870 Police model.

I guess the answer to "am I really into trap" is -- depends on how well I can point and shoot these days. I know I really enjoyed it back in the 70's; but we never got into serious matches. We would throw doubles -- and that attracts me to a double barrel with different chokes as the second bird needs a longer shot.

Thanks for you responce.. appreciate it.

lil Jake

CHS
08-26-2008, 6:10 PM
If you want the BEST. Spend about 6-10K on a Perazzi, or Beretta.

If you want something that will break clays all day long without breaking your wallet you can go with something as simple as an 870 with a 30" trap barrel with a big top rib. Or spend a bit under 2K and get a real nice O/U like a Ruger Red Label or Browning Citori.

I can break clays all day long with my 279$ 28" 870, or my 450$ crappy Mossberg O/U.

I'd love a Red Label or Citori, but I guarantee I won't shoot any better with one. I'll just look better :)

rg_1111@yahoo.com
08-26-2008, 7:33 PM
Jake,
When I asked if your really into trap. What I meant is are you going every week or once a month?
I wouldn't spend a lot of money if your only going once a month.
For me I have hit 25 out of 25 with a single shot Harrison & Richardson,870 Wingmaster,Browning BT99.

I shot a friends Perazzi the gun felt great but didn't hit but 20 out of 25.
Its all about what you can shoot the BEST. You might be just as good with a $600. dollar gun as you are with a $3,000 gun.

randy
08-27-2008, 12:14 AM
The best is subjective but for around 1800 bucks you can get a Browning BT99, which is the best gun for the money. To get a better gun than that you will spend alot more money.

TRAP55
08-27-2008, 3:06 PM
The "best one" is the one that fits.

5hundo
08-27-2008, 3:44 PM
I was just debating the same thing. I'd like to get back into clays. I shot a lot of clays when I was a kid but I sort of got out of it...

That's about the only sport I'll have a change of being successful in competition anymore... (considering how bad my back is jacked up)

I've been checking out some of the prices from Beretta, Browning, etc...

It looks like $4-$6,000 for some of these things! :eek:

If you're going to take competition shooting seriously, is it necessary to spend that much for a better weapon? Are the folks that shot for team USA in China using these types of shotguns? (I would assume so)

TomV
08-27-2008, 4:29 PM
Anyone have any opinions on the Beretta 68x series ?

Some of the 686's are around 2K.

Thanks

Thefeeder
08-27-2008, 5:46 PM
FYI...Old Belguim Browning O/U 's do not shoot steel shot.

Looks like you have a bit to spend... The Citori fits most anybody of average built. Look for a Lightning Grade VI...better looking and cheeper then the new grade VII....A good mid range priced shotgun with beautiful features..... can send some pics if you wish

Use it for skeet too

CHS
08-27-2008, 6:24 PM
If you're going to take competition shooting seriously, is it necessary to spend that much for a better weapon?

Nope! Not at all. Buy as much of a gun as you can afford. With a shotgun, having it fitted properly is the most important thing. These aren't precision rifles. Quality chokes are a good investment as well, to achieve consistent patterning. But you can do very well with an 870, properly fitted, with high quality chokes.

Are the folks that shot for team USA in China using these types of shotguns? (I would assume so)

Yup, but remember, companies like Perazzi and Beretta SPONSOR these people. They don't actually pay for their $10K guns.

TRAP55
08-27-2008, 6:27 PM
One of the best deals out there for an O/U is an older used Charles Daly.Miroku made the Charles Daly name of O/U shotguns from 1963 to 1976, same place that made Citori's, Win 101's, and the some of the SKB O/U's. Most are Citori's, but there are some Belgian Superposed floating around. The newer ones are made in Turkey.
Most of these will have fixed chokes. The Trap models will be Full & Full or Full & Imp Mod. A Broadway Trap will have a wider rib, and there is a Browning BT-99 single bbl Trap gun that Daly sold too. The Field grades will be Full & Mod. Skeet models will be choked Skeet & Skeet. The chokes are marked with a stamp on the left side of the bbl breech. Break the gun open and you'll see them.
+ FC (full choke)
++- IM (improved modified)
+- M (modified)
++ IC (improved cylinder
SS SK (skeet)
CYL (cylinder)
On a used O/U check for lock up wear. When the gun is closed up, everything should be tight, and the release lever should be pointing to the right of 6 o'clock. Bores should be clean and shine like chrome. Eyeball down all sides of the barrels for dents or bulges. Run a tack rag, or even a tissue the length of the barrels with your hand. That will let you feel any imperfections.
Check for stock cracks around the forend metal and around the tang and receiver. Pop the forend off and check the metal on the barrels for rust or corrosion from salt wood.
If it has screw in choke tubes, remove both tubes and check for galling or cross threading. When the tube is in tight, there should not be any visible joint line that you can feel with your finger or the tip of a lead pencil.
FIT IS EVERYTHING!
If a shotgun doesn't fit you, it won't matter if it's a Mossberg or a Kolar that you just emptied your bank account on. Close your eyes and shoulder the gun just like you would to take a shot....freeze.....open your eyes. You should be looking straight down the top of the rib without seeing it. If you don't see the front bead, you'll shoot low. If you see the bead and the top front part of the rib, you'll shoot high.
Repeat this several times, shouldering the gun the same way each time.

mike100
08-27-2008, 7:53 PM
Best trap gun for the money would be a Browning...

BT-99 trap single- the standard models go for $800-$1400 depending on options and if it is new or used.

or an XT Trap for about $2000-$2500 (doubles gun)

Both of these are made for trap specifically and are built to last. I also sometimes shoot an 870 with a 30" fixed full barrel also, but the trap guns have the right amount of lead to shoot rising targets. My bt-99 added 1-2 birds to my game right away (meaning from 22-23 to 24 and 25's)

IH8CALAWS
08-27-2008, 8:09 PM
I'd go with a Beretta or a Browning. around $2k.

steel-cut
08-27-2008, 8:56 PM
+1 on the Browning XT Trap. I am also looking at trap gun and so far I like the XT for price / perormance.

Like some have said, the best gun is the one that fits you and points well for you.

Go to BBB in South El Monte on Rosemead http://www.triplebclays.com and you can actualy try out different guns.

Also checkout www.trapshooters.com and www.shootata.com lots of good info there

CHS
08-27-2008, 9:05 PM
Go to BBB in South El Monte on Rosemead and you can actualy try out different guns.

This is a GREAT place to shoot BTW. My girlfriend and I are out there at least twice a month, Sunday mornings.

You're welcome to join us to shoot some trap.

Dark Water
08-27-2008, 9:15 PM
I prefer the Remington 870 personally but have not ever shot most of the other high end shotguns mentioned.

5hundo
08-28-2008, 10:32 AM
What about the Benelli Supersport?

That looks like it might be a good option for less than $2k... :confused:

5hundo
08-28-2008, 1:59 PM
...perhaps a little off topic, but for those of us in LA, where is the nearest place to go shoot a round of trap?

I have military ID, so military bases are okay too but I was trying to think of the nearest place to the South Bay area and I can't really think of one... :confused:

CHS
08-28-2008, 2:34 PM
...perhaps a little off topic, but for those of us in LA, where is the nearest place to go shoot a round of trap?

I have military ID, so military bases are okay too but I was trying to think of the nearest place to the South Bay area and I can't really think of one... :confused:

Triple-B clays. It was already mentioned in this thread.

Right at the intersection of 605 and 60.

Jerr
08-29-2008, 7:32 AM
Turners is going to have the Beretta 686 Onyx on sale, starting 8/29 for $ 1349.

That is a pretty good deal.

+1 on the beretta O/U. I have the 686 white onxy and its an amazing gun. But you should really go out and try as many guns as you can and see which one fits you best. I believe triple b's has a good wide selection of guns you can rent. Go there shoot bunch of different guns and see which one you like best.

Jerr

tankerman
08-29-2008, 8:12 AM
Sounds like there are a few guys that consider themselves to be good Trap shooters. I'm guessing that because of all the shotgun purchasing advice being thown out.

Well, Thursday evenings at Prado Olympic Shooting Park, http://www.shootprado.com/facilities.asp?type=shotgun
there are a group of guys that have a regular Pot Shoot every Thursday.

Head on over and show your skills off boys.;) That's one way you can show your advice you offer is coming from a reliable source. You should be able make a few buck as well.:rolleyes:

randy
08-29-2008, 11:44 AM
I'm not a trap shooter anymore it's been years since I shot trap. The Browning BT99 was the gun to have then unless you had a ton of cash. I go to a trap range a couple of times a week now not for trap but for the pistol, rifle and different shotgun shooting. Asking in the pro shop the BT99 still reigns supreme for the money. Like I said you can get a better gun but you are going to spend a bunch more money.

I prefer the look and finish of the Beretta's myself. I got my highest scores with one I borrowed for a match. The guy who beat me at the match was shooting a BT99. I shot a 96 at the 16 yard line not a great score but I'm not a great shot.

Another plus for the Browning is it's life time warranty. If you sell it, or give it to your grand kid and he gives it to his grand kid it's still under warranty. You can't say that with a Beretta.

I shoot Benellis a bunch and love them, for a trap gun I'd get a Browning BT99.

scr83jp
08-29-2008, 1:07 PM
I know I am going to get a lot of opinions on this... and I appreciate all who give me their opinion. Back in the 70's, I enjoyed shooting trap at informal meets on Chevron land. I didn't have the best gun for it -- a Rem 870 Wingmaster, 30 inch full choke. Still, I enjoyed it. Now, I'd like to get back into it with a nice shotgun. I'm thinking a Browning Citori O/U, 12 ga, 28 inch with interchangable chokes. I've never shot skeet -- and might want to shoot skeet also.

All opinions welcome -- Little Jake In the late 1970's I located 2 rem 12g & 20g wingmasters with trap & skeet barrels bought them from the widow of a shooter for $225 plus some reloads.I sold the 20g but kept the 12g and have fired many thousands of rounds thru it.My other custom built trapgun is a 1924 nickel steel Win Mod 12 12g with a simmons rib ,stock was castoff to fit me.I'm not a fan of sxs or o/us but one I liked was the Ruger Single Barrel Trap Shotgun price was to be approx $2800 (shot it at Raahauges Shooting Sports Fair) that was never placed into production.

ucdusc
08-31-2008, 11:07 PM
Anyone know of a good site or sites, for info and terminology on the different types of trap and clay competitions?

And about how good do you think you should be before you start competition? 80-90 out of a 100?

ysr_racer
09-01-2008, 6:41 PM

Sporting Clays in the Los Angeles area:

Say what you want about So. Cal. We’ve got restrictive gun laws, we’ve got earthquakes, we’ve got wildfires, we’ve even got “The Terminator” for our governor, but we do have 4 Sporting Clays ranges in the Los Angeles area.

Each of them holds their monthly shoot on a different weekend. Each of them has something different to offer, and all are fun to shoot.

Triple B Clays is located in El Monte off of the 60 near the 605. It’s a 24 station flat course, in a heavily treed setting. They have 12 hunter stations, and 12 tournament stations, all have “A” & “B” shooting position. Their monthly shoot is on the first Sunday of the month. http://www.triplebclays.com

Raahauge’s is located in Corona off of the 91 between the 71 and the 15. It’s a semi-flat course set in the Prado flood plane. They keep adding new stations and new machines all the time. Their monthly shoot is on the second Sunday of the month. http://www.raahauges.com/

Moore-N-Moore is located in San Fernando off of the 210 near the 118. It’s a great course with hills and valleys in the San Gabriel Mtn foothills. They have 12 stations, 10 of them have “A” & “B” shooting positions. They really are “The friendliest range in southern California”. They hold their monthly shoot on the third Saturday of the month. http://www.moorenmoore.com

Oak Tree is located in Newhall off of the 5 near the 14. They have some of the most spectacular views on a sporting clays course anywhere. http://www.oaktreegunclub.com/ (Call before going)

Prado Olympic is located in Chino off of the 71 near the 91. They offer trap, skeet & 5-stand. http://www.shootprado.com/

All of these places offer public shooting so don’t wait until they hold their monthly shoots. Contact the clubs directly for more information.

If you live in Los Angeles and you can’t find a place to shoot, you’re not looking hard enough.

Here’s a link to my website. I’ve got pictures & reviews of the clubs:

http://www.ysr-racer.com

ucdusc
09-01-2008, 7:45 PM
Nice site brad, what gun/choke do you use?

ysr_racer
09-01-2008, 7:52 PM
Browning 525 sporting clays in 12ga, with 30" barrels. Chokes, usually IC and Lt Mod.

Meet me at Triple B next sunday and you can try it.

ucdusc
09-01-2008, 7:58 PM
Wow, nice. Really out of my price range :P

I may take you up on the offer, are you doing the fun shoot or Golden Kings?