PDA

View Full Version : Colleges confront shootings with survival training

1911 Rookie
08-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Not sure if this is the best place here but thought this was interesting. Some small masses suggesting you shouldn't cower in the corner or play dead.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080826/ap_on_re_us/campus_shooting_classes_1

"The program which includes a video showing a gunman opening fire in a packed classroom urges them to be ready to respond to a shooter by taking advantage of the inherent strength in numbers."

firecaptdave
08-26-2008, 1:10 PM
I think in general, that's a good idea. Someone may take a bullet, but everyone won't. I think we've all heard of shooter that have put bullets in bodies to ensure they're dead.

More importantly, it's best to put distance between yourself and the shooter...run, rather than hide in the corner, waiting to be shot. Hopefully, that's why they're being taught.

Sutcliffe
08-26-2008, 1:19 PM
So they won't be sued into bankruptcy by the survivors of the deceased.
We had 'Code Red Training' at my college. The lady who did the presentation(90 minutes) is named Carla Holtzclaw and claims that universties and schools nationwide have used her services.

Gems from the training that I remember:

Don't wear baggy jeans(they might fall down on your ankles and trip you-you might be mistaken for the shooter by responding cops).
Don't run with backpacks(again, mistaken for perpetrators)
barricade the door, tape the windows, draw the blinds.
Use a fire extinguisher to blind the shooter!
Tape something red to your outside windows to warn responders you have dead and injured in your class.

The campus chief of security told us that we outnumber any active shooter and that we should resort to doing 'what we had to do' if we found that we enjoyed a numerical advantage.
The local beat cops would respond and form up in teams of three, and enter campus looking for the shooter, hoping to take him out or force him to cap himself before SWAT could form up.

In a nutshell:
You are prey. When the cops get there we will bag up the bodies and transport the injured to hospital. But, hey, WE did all we could to avert this terrible tragedy and lets sue the NRA and Ruger for the acts of this homicidal maniac.

Glock22Fan
08-26-2008, 2:04 PM
OK, so if I am in a student environment, I should be suspicious of anyone wearing baggy jeans and carrying a backpack, because only psycho maniacs dress like this?

Right.

CHS
08-26-2008, 2:15 PM
OK, so if I am in a student environment, I should be suspicious of anyone wearing baggy jeans and carrying a backpack, because only psyco maniacs dress like this?

Right.

Baggy jeans and backpack party, anyone? I'll provide the keg :)

ldivinag
08-26-2008, 3:41 PM
In a nutshell:
You are prey. When the cops get there we will bag up the bodies and transport the injured to hospital. But, hey, WE did all we could to avert this terrible tragedy and lets sue the NRA and Ruger for the acts of this homicidal maniac.

exactly...

i was cringing and keeping my mouth shut during the training at my work (cal state hayward).