PDA

View Full Version : Fishing rod repair help/info needed

Rust
08-26-2008, 11:48 AM
I was given an old Shakespeare Ugly Stik by a friend. The rod is in decent shape, no cracks or gouges in the fiberglass, but the eyes are pretty messed up. It has ceramic guides and most of them are cracked or chipped. I know you can have them replaced, but is it worth it? Looks like a similar rod real combo can be had new for 30-50.

r08ert209cali
08-26-2008, 12:13 PM
toss it and get a new one.spend 40 bucks or better on just the rod and it should last forever given proper storage.

CACitUP
08-26-2008, 12:36 PM
If you do it yourself it is cheap. If you pay someone else, its a throw away. If you like the rod and you like the action then go for it, but do it yourself. You can make a rod wrapper from a cardboard box and get the guides, thread and epoxy for cheap. If you arent attached to the rod for some specific reason or simply want to use it as an inexpensive blank to learn how to wrap on, then you should consider tossing it.

I was given an old Shakespeare Ugly Stik by a friend. The rod is in decent shape, no cracks or gouges in the fiberglass, but the eyes are pretty messed up. It has ceramic guides and most of them are cracked or chipped. I know you can have them replaced, but is it worth it? Looks like a similar rod real combo can be had new for 30-50.

skale240
08-26-2008, 3:18 PM
All the time and effort alone will probably cost more than just buying another. You'd have to replace the guides which would required you to get the epoxy off, cut the threads off, clean up the blank, rethread the guides back on and re-epoxy. If your going to get into rod wrapping, it might be a good way for you to start, but believe me, there is nothing cheap about making your own rods. you just get a rod to your liking that has all the components you like (kinda like building your own AR-15).

Rust
08-26-2008, 3:39 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I figured that would be the answer as soon as I saw what they were going for. I would like to learn how to wrap, but have another lighter pole I can use in a pinch. And, I fish so little these days as it is I just don't see the point. I'll can this one, and hopefully next time I get a chance to fish something that warrants a mid weight pole I'll be able to spring for a nice set up that will last a while.