PDA

View Full Version : Obama Assassination Attempt Thwarted

EBR Works
08-25-2008, 6:15 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/investigates/assisination.plot.obama.2.802827.html

DENVER (CBS4) ― CBS4 has now learned at least four people are under arrest in connection with a possible plot to kill Barack Obama at his Thursday night acceptance speech in Denver. All are being held on either drug or weapons charges.

CBS4 Investigator Brian Maass reported one of the suspects told authorities they were "going to shoot Obama from a high vantage point using a ... rifle sighted at 750 yards."

Law enforcement sources tell Maass that one of the suspects "was directly asked if they had come to Denver to kill Obama. He responded in the affirmative."

The story began emerging Sunday morning when Aurora police arrested 28-year-old Tharin Gartrell. He was driving a rented pickup truck in an erratic manner according to sources.

Sources told CBS4 police found two high-powered, scoped rifles in the car along with camouflage clothing, walkie-talkies, a bulletproof vest, a spotting scope, licenses in the names of other people and methamphetamine. One of the rifles is listed as stolen from Kansas.

Subsequently authorities went to the Cherry Creek Hotel to contact an associate of Gartrell's. But that man, who was wanted on numerous warrants, jumped out of a sixth floor hotel window. Law enforcement sources say the man broke an ankle in the fall and was captured moments later. Sources say he was wearing a ring with a swastika, and is thought to have ties to white supremacist organizations.

A third man -- an associate of Gartrell and the hotel jumper was also arrested. He told authorities that the two men "planned to kill Barack Obama at his acceptance speech."

That man, along with a woman, are also under arrest.

The Secret Service, FBI, ATF and the joint terrorism task force are all investigating the alleged plot.

The U.S. Attorney in Denver has scheduled a news conference for Tuesday afternoon.

RomanDad
08-25-2008, 6:36 PM
How were they going to get in the building? With a rifle no less? Its quite possibly the most fortified building in the country right now....

Gnome
08-25-2008, 6:38 PM
Does anyone know if Presidential Candidates qualify for Secret Service protection?!

fullrearview
08-25-2008, 6:40 PM
yes they do!

RRangel
08-25-2008, 6:41 PM
Does anyone know if Presidential Candidates qualify for Secret Service protection?!

Yes, they sure do. I believe it's up to the candidate whether they want it or not.

Pvt. Cowboy
08-25-2008, 6:41 PM
750 yards? Right.

Saigon1965
08-25-2008, 6:46 PM

IIRC, Secret Service have been on the job for awhile.

gmcal
08-25-2008, 6:47 PM
Sounds like a bunch of tweekers with a half assed plan to me.

Gnome
08-25-2008, 6:49 PM
I would think a candidate would be a fool to turn down the Secret Service's protection

Can you imagine what it must be like to have them up in your crack all day?

BroncoBob
08-25-2008, 6:56 PM
What a couple of loons. That is totally not acceptable in todays world. Good fricken GOD! I don't care for Obama in fact I will not vote for him. I'll be casting my vote for McCain.

yellowfin
08-25-2008, 6:59 PM
I'd put my $20 on the person from Illinois having had a hand in it himself to drum up publicity and sympathy and blame the opposition.

fullrearview
08-25-2008, 7:02 PM
I'd put my $20 on the person from Illinois having had a hand in it himself to drum up publicity and sympathy and blame the opposition.

I was thinking the same thing.

jerryg1776
08-25-2008, 7:02 PM
Damn you would think that Bill and Hill could afford some real talent. I guess they are in campaign debt and need to sell more books or sell secrets to the chineeeee mans.

Damn tweaker wanna be's giving everybody a bad name. Half-*** idiots with a half-*** plan.

EBR Works
08-25-2008, 7:03 PM
More info and mug shot here:

http://www.coloradoindependent.com/5479/police-probe-possible-plot-to-kill-obama-two-arrested-one-with-sniper-rifle/

Ding126
08-25-2008, 7:04 PM
Can we say Tweaker(s)?

CaliforniaLiberal
08-25-2008, 7:04 PM
Presidential candidates have been offered Secret Service protection since '68 when Bobby Kennedy was killed the night of the California Primary.

CL

sorensen440
08-25-2008, 7:09 PM
These Hilary supporters are getting out of control

Gnome
08-25-2008, 7:10 PM
Presidential candidates have been offered Secret Service protection since '68 when Bobby Kennedy was killed the night of the California Primary.

CL

That's some interesting info. That happened in Downtown, Los Angeles right?

08-25-2008, 7:11 PM
Sighted in ar 750 yards? WTF?
They're probably a bunch of clueless couch-commando neo-nazi clowns who were paid to try pull an impossible assassination attempt only to be framed from step one by the same guys who paid them. Assasination attempts tend to generate a lot of sympathy for the intended victim.

Piper
08-25-2008, 7:21 PM
Yep, that's what we need, Barack Hussein Obama martyred by a couple of Nazi idiots. Kind of reminds of Lenny and Squiggy.

BillCA
08-25-2008, 7:23 PM
Sighted in ar 750 yards? WTF?
They're probably a bunch of clueless couch-commando neo-nazi clowns who were paid to try pull an impossible assassination attempt only to be framed from step one by the same guys who paid them. Assasination attempts tend to generate a lot of sympathy for the intended victim.

Exactly my thought.

These guys are the "sacrificial lambs" led to slaughter by someone else. I was thinking along the lines of the '62 version of the Manchurian Candidate... sounds about what this bunch of tweakers were programmed to say. The real question is someone else waiting in the wings?

fullrearview
08-25-2008, 7:26 PM
this scenario is scary when you think about it. let say "what if" it worked? this could have created some pretty nasty tensions between the races. A lot of people would have been pointing fingers.

bwiese
08-25-2008, 7:27 PM
This is so outright loony that it seems conjured to provoke sympathy and antigun sentiments.

Which is exactly why folks who clearly would be caught would be hired.

And a jumpy tweaker making a 750yd shot assures the safety of the target :)

Shotgun Man
08-25-2008, 7:33 PM
Another possibility is that the police just bungled the investigation and came to the wrong conclusion. They may have misread the situation, including gratuitous comments the suspects may have made.

Don't forget the innocent security guard accused of bombing the Olympics in Atlanta, Georgia.

sorensen440
08-25-2008, 7:37 PM
Don't forget the innocent security guard accused of bombing the Olympics in Atlanta, Georgia.

and the first guy they blamed for the antrax

RRangel
08-25-2008, 7:38 PM
Another possibility is that the police just bungled the investigation and came to the wrong conclusion. They may have misread the situation, including gratuitous comments the suspects may have made.

That would be one Richard Jewell. It's always a possibility they've been Jewelled.

Wulf
08-25-2008, 7:43 PM
I think confessing to attempted murder from 750 yards is a surefire way to build an insanity defense into your confession.

firecaptdave
08-25-2008, 7:49 PM

Major presidential and vice presidential candidates, and their spouses within 120 days of a general presidential election

sierratangofoxtrotunion
08-25-2008, 7:53 PM
I think confessing to attempted murder from 750 yards is a surefire way to build an insanity defense into your confession.

Making a 750 yard shot while on meth. Riiiight. Clearly a bunch of stupid tweakers, possibly Manchurian Candidate situation.

anthonyca
08-25-2008, 8:02 PM
I hate Illinois Nazis.

man u had me laughing and my dog looked over at me.

Saigon1965
08-25-2008, 8:05 PM
Right there folks - LOL

rbgaynor
08-25-2008, 8:12 PM
How were they going to get in the building? With a rifle no less? Its quite possibly the most fortified building in the country right now....

For the Thursday night acceptance speech they are moving outdoors to the football stadium (Invesco Field).

tankerman
08-25-2008, 8:52 PM
More info and mug shot here:

http://www.coloradoindependent.com/5479/police-probe-possible-plot-to-kill-obama-two-arrested-one-with-sniper-rifle/
Never knew white supremacists were so found of ear rings.

packnrat
08-25-2008, 8:53 PM
did no one else notice in the first post the police stoped:

a rental truck??

but found guns in a car??

maybe rental trucks should be baned?:D

:TFH:

dfletcher
08-25-2008, 9:44 PM
I hate Illinois Nazis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xii8oz8oy8

Darn I'd almost forgotten about that too.

God Bless The Mauser
08-25-2008, 9:59 PM
Neo Nazis are stupid, Hitler would gas them too.

Pointcrossed
08-25-2008, 10:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xii8oz8oy8

Darn I'd almost forgotten about that too.

Good funny clip.

I am glad the secret service got those haters. Should be considered an act of terrorism like the DC sniper case. Everyone has their right to their own opinion no matter how stupid and ignorant it may be; disagreeing is one thing; I still find it interesting why it is still not a crime to hate.

csmintel
08-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Reading this story only brings one thing to mind: some tweakers got arrested for meth, cut a deal with some detect who knows obama people to stage the whole thing to raise his profile. History always repeats itself. I've seen this before.
Wasn't there a lawsuit just filed claiming he is not even qualified to be US president?

ivanimal
08-25-2008, 10:15 PM
I always wondered what Vanilla Ice was up to these days.:43:

6266guy
08-25-2008, 10:35 PM
So I guess there plan failed...:mad:

6266guy
08-25-2008, 10:39 PM
I was kinda wondering, if we all here could hold a mock election, and who would win... 1 vote for Sen. John McCain

rayra
08-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Not 'Illinoise Nazis, but something worse - Tweaker Nazis.
Looks like they were trying to set off their beloved 'race war' with a bang.

Matt C
08-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Smells like a setup but some people really are just that stupid. I'm really glad they failed, since it would have made Hillary a shoe in.

Good funny clip.

I am glad the secret service got those haters. Should be considered an act of terrorism like the DC sniper case. Everyone has their right to their own opinion no matter how stupid and ignorant it may be; disagreeing is one thing; I still find it interesting why it is still not a crime to hate.

Umm, cuz that would be thought crime?!?!? I'm not even going to delve into the incredible irony of that whole paragraph.

4wdlego
08-25-2008, 10:58 PM

Wow...double whammy. Another law to tighten the noose AND an attempt to legislate thoughts. Is this Canada?

WhoDat
08-25-2008, 11:00 PM
Regardless of political affiliation, anyone who tries to circumvent the political process by killing or injuring candidates is about the most treasonous P.O.S. on the planet. And they should be killed.

I was too young to see Kennedy shot, but I'll never forget Reagan. And that guy almost killed "the leader of the free world", because he thought he had a shot with Jodi Foster.

And even if you couldn't give a rat's-*** about either president, imagine the state of gun control today, if those two things wouldn't have happened.

Glad these inbread A**holes were stopped.

nothing4u
08-25-2008, 11:28 PM
Too bad Obama will be the better man and not sign the order for the firing squad.

C.G.
08-26-2008, 12:53 AM
If they were not charged with it then it sounds like media drama to me.

comandante costello
08-26-2008, 1:22 AM
This thread is absolutely unbelievable.

m98
08-26-2008, 3:00 AM
This is so outright loony that it seems conjured to provoke sympathy and antigun sentiments.

I'm with Bwiese on this one....TweakeR+22-250+750yds= Obama setup

GenLee
08-26-2008, 7:10 AM
This thread is absolutely unbelievable.

I agree, Almost everyone here jumps on the nazi wagon? WTF? Isn't it a bit early to start calling white guys with meth, neo nazi's?
Silly me, but I thought there were several different motivations for presidential candidate assasinations, Like political views, Attention, Party affiliations, etc? Jeez, some members seem to jump to stereotypes here as fast as the main stream media does.

superhondaz50
08-26-2008, 8:00 AM
HA! Burn!

I always wondered what Vanilla Ice was up to these days.:43:

Davidk
08-26-2008, 8:04 AM

I heard on the news this morning it was a .22. So the 750yd shot pretty much assures the safety of the target .

liketoshoot
08-26-2008, 8:15 AM
I think you are all wrong, they were part of the security crew, now who's going to get rid of the pigons in the stadium?

GenLee
08-26-2008, 8:28 AM
I think you are all wrong, they were part of the security crew, now who's going to get rid of the pigons in the stadium?

:rofl2:

duenor
08-26-2008, 8:41 AM
LOL This "assassination attempt" is so ridiculous it is laughable.

Publius
08-26-2008, 8:51 AM
I agree, Almost everyone here jumps on the nazi wagon? WTF? Isn't it a bit early to start calling white guys with meth, neo nazi's?
Silly me, but I thought there were several different motivations for presidential candidate assasinations, Like political views, Attention, Party affiliations, etc? Jeez, some members seem to jump to stereotypes here as fast as the main stream media does.

The people with other motivations don't tend to wear swastikas as much. There's a lot we don't know at this point, but the "neo-Nazi" thing isn't exactly coming out of left field.

Fate
08-26-2008, 8:55 AM
I heard on the news this morning it was a .22. So the 750yd shot pretty much assures the safety of the target .

Heard that on CNN this morning as well. A .22 at 750 yards? Zero chance of hitting target, let alone the kill-zone. Also reported, the driver of the truck was "looking for a high platform to be able to shoot into Invesco Field."

Um...I think any such place already has a (Secret Service/police) sniper in it.

I'll add my name to the ranks of the conspiracy theorists. S-E-T-U-P :TFH:

truthseeker
08-26-2008, 9:01 AM
One of the reasons I am voting for McCain is when you look at him he seems like a guy that WOULD back you up if the SHTF. Where as Obama looks like he would say "Yeah I will do what ever is necessary to back you up" however when the SHTF he would be the first to run for cover!!

sorensen440
08-26-2008, 9:05 AM
One of the reasons I am voting for McCain is when you look at him he seems like a guy that WOULD back you up if the SHTF. Where as Obama looks like he would say "Yeah I will do what ever is necessary to back you up" however when the SHTF he would be the first to run for cover!!

I don't like Obiden either but where did that come from?

truthseeker
08-26-2008, 9:08 AM
I don't like Obiden either but where did that come from?

I was just thinking about when I saw Obama last night on TV when I was flipping through the channels. There was a scene where he was on satellite talking to his family and I couldnt help thinking how he just looks like a smarmy little weasal to me!!

nobs11
08-26-2008, 9:40 AM
I couldnt help thinking how he just looks like a smarmy little weasal to me!!

If you are going to vote for candidates based on their looks, god help us all. Mccain looks like a doddering old guy who is ready to keel over any minute. His wife looks like a heavily made up woman with expensive cosmetic surgery who won't accept the fact that she is old.

That has nothing to do with his politics.

dixieD
08-26-2008, 9:54 AM
If you are going to vote for candidates based on their looks, god help us all. Mccain looks like a doddering old guy who is ready to keel over any minute. His wife looks like a heavily made up woman with expensive cosmetic surgery who won't accept the fact that she is old.

You are absolutely correct.

I think experience is key here. Obviously McCain now has more experience than Obama. I think perhaps more importantly McCain had more experience than Obama when he was Obama's age.

The new adds against Obama using Hillary's actual words, aired during the DNC will be devastating in my opinion.

Roccobro
08-26-2008, 10:36 AM
I was wondering when somebody would try and take Obama out. I figured it was after he got elected and passed his first gun ban. It just makes perfect sense.

I've always said that America will vote in a White woman before a black man. There is still racial hatred throughout this country and THE WORLD. For simple examples, check out your county jail. It is a microcosm of how the state prisons are. Races are separated BY CHOICE and tensions run high if one bannanna-head, regardless of race, does something however so slight against a different colored skin person. I'd never experience such racism in all my life until I saw this one day.

Oh well. I just wish we didn't have to choose between ANY of the three candidates that are "most likely to succeed" at this time.

Justin

duenor
08-26-2008, 11:13 AM
This is offtopic, but I really really hate McCain's voice. I know it is superficial, but I have to change the station every time his wheedling, pandering voice comes on.

He's pro gun but I prefer to read his thoughts than listen to them.

tankerman
08-26-2008, 11:18 AM
This is offtopic, but I really really hate McCain's voice. I know it is superficial, but I have to change the station every time his wheedling, pandering voice comes on.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

The sound of his voice reminds me of a whining 7 year old. Very friggin annoying. But then again so is the smug arrogance projected from Obama's pie-hole. Or how about the fact that Hillary has a deeper voice than both Obama or McCain and most men other than Wolfman Jack.

truthseeker
08-26-2008, 12:46 PM

If you read my post before this one I specifically stated "One of the reasons I am voting for McCain".

I agree MORE with McCains stance on political issues than I do Obamas.

katphood
08-26-2008, 12:58 PM
This talk of this thing being staged is ridiculous. If you were to set this up, you have something more than a .22 involved, and you wouldn't have your village idiot pulled over for a traffic violation. You would have this team look, taste, and smell like the real thing, not a bunch of drugged losers.

I think its a real case of angry, but otherwise clueless, druggies wanting to be someone.

Don't mean to divert this thread to another topic, but remember the JFK assassination? Many believe the loser (the expendable one) in that case was Oswald and that the real team was on the grassy knoll. (Note: I'm not saying there was or wasn't a broader conspiracy there.)

macadamizer
08-26-2008, 1:53 PM
I was wondering when somebody would try and take Obama out. I figured it was after he got elected and passed his first gun ban. It just makes perfect sense.

I've always said that America will vote in a White woman before a black man. There is still racial hatred throughout this country and THE WORLD. For simple examples, check out your county jail. It is a microcosm of how the state prisons are. Races are separated BY CHOICE and tensions run high if one bannanna-head, regardless of race, does something however so slight against a different colored skin person. I'd never experience such racism in all my life until I saw this one day.

Oh well. I just wish we didn't have to choose between ANY of the three candidates that are "most likely to succeed" at this time.

Justin

Interesting take, and nothing I can disagree with. I just found it interesting, because I've always felt the opposite -- that we would elect a black man president before we ever elected a woman. I don't have any analysis to back me up, just a gut feeling...

csmintel
08-26-2008, 1:57 PM

mcane is a cheney's puppet. it's the cheney and his gang. this old fart can't tie his shoe laces together without permission. him or bama phenomeno...either way...we f..ked

Roccobro
08-26-2008, 2:18 PM
......either way...we f..ked
I don't about the rest of your post.. But I do agree we are in for a tough 4 years. Not a dark age like the clinton regime, but not good.

Macadamizer- That warms my heart to hear you say that. I cannot explain it any more than that. I do hope to live long enough see a "brighter future" for this country.....

GammaRei
08-26-2008, 9:50 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/investigates/assisination.plot.obama.2.802827.html

DENVER (CBS4) ― CBS4 has now learned at least four people are under arrest in connection with a possible plot to kill Barack Obama at his Thursday night acceptance speech in Denver. All are being held on either drug or weapons charges.

CBS4 Investigator Brian Maass reported one of the suspects told authorities they were "going to shoot Obama from a high vantage point using a ... rifle sighted at 750 yards."

Law enforcement sources tell Maass that one of the suspects "was directly asked if they had come to Denver to kill Obama. He responded in the affirmative."

The story began emerging Sunday morning when Aurora police arrested 28-year-old Tharin Gartrell. He was driving a rented pickup truck in an erratic manner according to sources.

Sources told CBS4 police found two high-powered, scoped rifles in the car along with camouflage clothing, walkie-talkies, a bulletproof vest, a spotting scope, licenses in the names of other people and methamphetamine. One of the rifles is listed as stolen from Kansas.

Subsequently authorities went to the Cherry Creek Hotel to contact an associate of Gartrell's. But that man, who was wanted on numerous warrants, jumped out of a sixth floor hotel window. Law enforcement sources say the man broke an ankle in the fall and was captured moments later. Sources say he was wearing a ring with a swastika, and is thought to have ties to white supremacist organizations.

A third man -- an associate of Gartrell and the hotel jumper was also arrested. He told authorities that the two men "planned to kill Barack Obama at his acceptance speech."

That man, along with a woman, are also under arrest.

The Secret Service, FBI, ATF and the joint terrorism task force are all investigating the alleged plot.

The U.S. Attorney in Denver has scheduled a news conference for Tuesday afternoon.

High Powered Rifle. What would that mean? Anything above a .22? Why would anyone admit to a crime immediately? Six floors and a broken ankle?

This sounds like BS to me. . .

- G

superhondaz50
08-26-2008, 10:09 PM
As far as the media is concerned this is the "High Powered Rifle" they found.
http://airrifleusa.com/library/746SBCrosmanWScope.jpg

Roccobro
08-27-2008, 8:08 AM
Too funny to not share as it relates to this thread and "high power rifle" and obama. From the "1.6mi accuracy" thread.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=117640#post1472325

Justin

ARRRR-15
08-27-2008, 8:14 AM
I was thinking the same thing.

Same here. I wonder how much jail time they will get? Maybe they will get a nice check when they get out.:TFH:

GaryPowersLives
08-27-2008, 8:14 AM
750 yards? Right.

That's the part that got me. The media is reporting the police obtained from the suspect a 22-250 cal rifle that was zeroed in at 750 yds. First, how do they know that it is truly zeroed in at 750 yds? Andleave it to the media to flat out ignore reality. A 22-250 shooting ANY decent MOA at 750 yds? That is not likely! Good god, are all reporters idiots?