PDA

View Full Version : When Safety becomes national obsession?

nicki
08-25-2008, 11:46 AM
We have had many posts about the British and there gun laws and now they are going after the "Knife Culture".

Fear has gripped the British and Europeans that the population gives up freedom for percieved security on more than guns and knives.

In England they also have video cameras to monitor the population, the police have special powers when in comes to terrorism.

Europe uses photo traffic enforcement. For those of you who think that this is a "great idea", please consider the average driver commits on minor traffic violation every 8 to 10 miles of driving.

There are calls to equip all cars with GPS tracking and control devices, all in the name of safety.

Imagine driving down hwy 5 and you can't accelerate past 60mph because of a GPS lock on your car.

How about this, you need to get your spouse to the hospital, it is the middle of the night, no one else is on the road and you can't drive faster than a posted speed limit which was deliberately posted low.

You can bet that the press, media and other sources of information will also be monitored so as to control the population.

The English lost their guns because their guns were portrayed as a hobby or as a sport.

It was easy for gun grabbers to say that no sport or hobby is worth spilling the blood of our children.

The British and the Aussies have themselves to blame because they have a culture where the population willingly sacrifices freedom for safety.

This is what happens when you view that your rights come to you from government and that government provides a cradle to grave security.

Our country is not immune, after 9/11, many Americans were and many still are willing to give the government whatever power it needs to fight terrorism.

A few more terrorist acts, wheter real or staged, could have us going into martial law. Those of us deemed dangerous by the government would have many of our rights restricted or taken away completely.

Nicki

CHS
08-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Nicki, I just want to say that if you're ever in this area or I'm ever up there and we have a chance to hang out, I'm buying you a drink!

alex00
08-25-2008, 12:36 PM
It's both sad and scary that most of those things are already being tried here. Obviously not on the national scale like England, but one city at a time. Red light cameras, gun free school zones, CCTVs in high crime areas. Things that may seem great in the begining have a way of turning ugly in a short amount of time.

If the government is so concerned with our protection, why don't they let people protect themselves in addition to all thier proposed safety measures?

tiki
08-25-2008, 7:58 PM
Cameras make nice plinking targets.

Sutcliffe
08-26-2008, 5:46 AM
We will lose our right to firearms and providing our own food. Without any kind of self reliance we will happily eat whatever is provided from our jailers and consider ourselves lucky we are provided for and protected. If some of us are taken by predators we will demand more from our protectors even though we will have nothing more to give.

gazzavc
08-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Unless you have lived in the UK for any length of time, its all very well to knock it, bash it and compare the laws to what we have here in the US.

The two cultures are totally different. I grew up and went to school there, lived there as an adult for many years without feeling threatened or unsafe.

Guns were just something you never saw or even thought about.
Yes there was crime, and yes there were dodgey area's that weren't the best places to go, but in the big picture it really wasn't a bad place.

I have taken my family back there for holidays , and we have never experienced any problems.

You really can't compare the two places , the differences in laws as its like comparing apples to oranges.

Cheers

Gary

tombinghamthegreat
08-26-2008, 12:16 PM
The situation leads back to the most important question, what is the role of government? Since the 30's there has been a demand for more government and despite the negative consequences of more government intervention people only want more. Now if you look at the two current candidates running, they are both calling on a reduction of individual rights for the "good" of society. McCain on one hand would restrict individual rights in the name of fighting terrorism and empire building. Obama would restrict individual rights for public safety and to expand the nanny state.

truthseeker
08-26-2008, 1:32 PM
Nicki, I just want to say that if you're ever in this area or I'm ever up there and we have a chance to hang out, I'm buying you a drink!

Hear, Hear!! I second that!!

truthseeker
08-26-2008, 1:37 PM
The situation leads back to the most important question, what is the role of government? Since the 30's there has been a demand for more government and despite the negative consequences of more government intervention people only want more. Now if you look at the two current candidates running, they are both calling on a reduction of individual rights for the "good" of society. McCain on one hand would restrict individual rights in the name of fighting terrorism and empire building. Obama would restrict individual rights for public safety and to expand the nanny state.

It would seem that when politicians get elected now, they feel they have to create new legislation to prove that they are working for their held position in government. I think that they should be trying to take stupid laws off the books to achieve that goal instead.

Meplat
08-26-2008, 7:45 PM
Hear, Hear!! I second that!!

+1;)

tankerman
08-26-2008, 7:58 PM
You really can't compare the two places , the differences in laws as its like comparing apples to oranges.

Sure you can, the witch (Rebecca Peters from England) that pushed the gun ban in England and Australia has tried forcing the English model down our's and the rest of the world's throats.

Political figures from Europe keep chiming in on our laws, we certainly have a right to scrutinize their methodology.

gazzavc
08-26-2008, 9:26 PM
Sure you can, the witch (Rebecca Peters from England) that pushed the gun ban in England and Australia has tried forcing the English model down our's and the rest of the world's throats.

Political figures from Europe keep chiming in on our laws, we certainly have a right to scrutinize their methodology.

Then more fool us for A) listening to her, and B) electing idiots who listen to her.

We have plenty of overbearing big mouthed idiotic politicians here, who love to run off at the mouth and try and convince the entire world that the American way is the only way to live.

It works both ways, so i'll agree to disagree with you on that point mate :)

Gary

Nodda Duma
08-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Then more fool us for A) listening to her, and B) electing idiots who listen to her.

We have plenty of overbearing big mouthed idiotic politicians here, who love to run off at the mouth and try and convince the entire world that the American way is the only way to live.

The American way isn't the only way to live, but it is the best way. Glad you could join us.

-Jason

Glock22Fan
08-27-2008, 1:09 PM
Guns were just something you never saw or even thought about.
Yes there was crime, and yes there were dodgey area's that weren't the best places to go, but in the big picture it really wasn't a bad place.

I feel pretty safe in England and also here where I live in California, and don't see many guns away from the range.

However, in both countries, violence can strike anywhere at any time. We don't ask for CCW's so we can be armed when we know we are going into harm's way, we want them because harm's way could be here, in the next few seconds.

Most Brits don't feel any need for guns. But Brits still get mugged, knifed and assaulted. Often, I'm guessing, when they didn't expect it.

ibanezfoo
08-27-2008, 1:22 PM
I've said it a million times: I would much rather live a FREE and HAPPY life and be blown to bits by a terrorist at a young age than live to be 200 "safe" not so happy or free years on this planet.

-Bryan

Glock22Fan
08-27-2008, 3:08 PM
I've said it a million times: I would much rather live a FREE and HAPPY life and be blown to bits by a terrorist at a young age than live to be 200 "safe" not so happy or free years on this planet.

-Bryan

Who was it said something like " . . . but rather you should arrive at the pearly gates with a cigar in one hand and a martini in the other, saying 'Phew, what a ride!'"