PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a rifle to an FFL how to

Richy
08-25-2008, 10:03 AM
I've never shipped a gun before and wanted to make sure the info I got was correct, the person said that I can ship it directly to their FFL? Is that correct? I thought I had to have my FFL send it to their FFL?

Thanks.

RP1911
08-25-2008, 10:19 AM
It is correct. You can ship directly if the receiving FFL is ok with it. Some accept and others don't.

You can verify the status of the FFL on BATFE's website.

You can ship a rifle using USPS, UPS or FedEx.

vf111
08-25-2008, 10:44 AM
If that FFL is in California, does the CFLC come into play?

RP1911
08-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Yes form what I have been told. Some of the carriers are asking for it.

hawk1
08-25-2008, 11:52 AM
If that FFL is in California, does the CFLC come into play?

The CFLC does not apply to private individuals shipping into the state to a FFL.
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcoverview.php

Call and verify with the receiving FFL that he will accept directly from you to him. Most require a copy of your drivers license to be included.

If you can get a faxed or emailed copy of his FFL then thats great. Attach a copy of it to the firearm with the words "FILE COPY" accross the front. You can also add the buyers name and contact info so the FFL will know who it is for.
If you can't get a copy atleast get his FFL number and run it through the FFL EzCheck system https://www.atfonline.gov/FFLeZCheck to verify who you are shipping to. Print a copy of that and enclose it with the firearm in place of a copy of his FFL.

domokun
08-25-2008, 2:03 PM
It is correct. You can ship directly if the receiving FFL is ok with it. Some accept and others don't.

You can verify the status of the FFL on BATFE's website.

You can ship a rifle using USPS, UPS or FedEx.

You need to make sure you ship the firearm overnight/express.

Shane916
08-25-2008, 2:05 PM
You need to make sure you ship the firearm overnight/express.

That only applies to handguns.

domokun
08-25-2008, 2:08 PM
That only applies to handguns.

I'd personally still ship them overnight to minimize the number of hands that touch that package while in transit to its destination.

Shane916
08-25-2008, 3:05 PM
I'd personally still ship them overnight to minimize the number of hands that touch that package while in transit to its destination.

I fully agree with your reasoning. Yet, to ship a rifle or shotgun overnight to the east coast costs around $123 and to LA would be about $40+ from Sacramento. Shipping USPS Priority would arrive in 2 days and only costs around $40 for the east coast and $17 within the state.