PDA

View Full Version : Take a liberal shooting?

Pvt. Cowboy
08-25-2008, 9:59 AM
Your poll answer and thoughts are welcome here.

MudCamper
08-25-2008, 10:09 AM
Your poll answer and thoughts are welcome here.

I've taken several so-called "liberals" shooting. I've converted them into pro-2A pro-gunnies too. IMO this is what we (the gun community) need to be doing. Stop alienating and berating the other side, and start converting them.

All the anti-Democrat talk in the gun community is short sighted and is a losing strategy. We don't need an all-Republican government. What we need is an all-pro-gun government, made up of pro-gun Democrats and pro-gun Republicans

Full Clip
08-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Hell, I've been trying to get my wife out to the range for years.
Politically, we are oil and water.

08-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Would you take a liberal shooting?

Sure, why not? As long as you make sure nobody finds the body...

Just kidding. :D

I voted YES. The best place to turn nanny-statist bed-wetting gun-grabbing liberals into self reliant, pro-gun conservatives is at the shooting range.

CCWFacts
08-25-2008, 10:17 AM
It's a mitzvah to do it. I do it as often as possible. I consider it more valuable to take a liberal shooting than almost any other pro-RKBA activity you can do. Our enemies (the Brady Campaign, Joyce Foundation, etc) rely on lies to get support. The best way to get information out there is to have first-hand experience. The one difficulty is that the NRA is connected (in the minds of liberals) with the GOP, so it's hard for me to get liberals to join it. But I try on that also.

bwiese
08-25-2008, 10:20 AM
We all should be taking anyone of any stripe out shooting just to demystify it and to de-demonize those that enjoy it.

Stunt_Pirate
08-25-2008, 10:31 AM
I do it all the time. :)

Ironchef
08-25-2008, 10:33 AM
Can't believe some people are choosing the bottom option. Sad.

But yes, I'd take one shooting. I am one, and I have taken people of varied political spectrum.

It's all about restoring gun culture. And who would shoot a gun, in a controlled, safe environment, and still be grossed out? And who wouldn't smack someone for getting grossed out shooting a gun? lol

Wcoldnav
08-25-2008, 10:59 AM
I have yet to take anyone shooting for their first time that didn't come away with an improved perception of firearms and their owners.

nobody_special
08-25-2008, 11:02 AM
I voted yes, BUT... I don't advertise my gun ownership among acquaintances. So while I'm all for it in principle, it isn't likely in practice.

That, and I'm pretty sure my liberal friends who do know I have firearms have no interest in shooting.

jumbopanda
08-25-2008, 11:19 AM
I have, and while he said it was a lot of fun, he also said that he felt even more strongly about banning them after witnessing them firsthand. :90:

gmcal
08-25-2008, 11:59 AM
I have, and while he said it was a lot of fun, he also said that he felt even more strongly about banning them after witnessing them firsthand. :90:

Same here, and he wants to a LEO after college :eek:

KDOFisch
08-25-2008, 12:00 PM

Oh that makes sense...y'know, cuz of all the criminal bad guys at gun ranges.

I took a very far left wing friend to Angeles Crest a few months ago, and he actually enjoyed it- but on the car ride back to LA, he brought up licensing, registration, testing, etc. I had an answer for all of them and he was entirely stumped.

Him: "What about a record or license for pistols?"
Me: "They're already registered in this state, and you need a safety card to purchase a pistol here."
Him: "Oh...and they do a background check every time, waiting period?"
Me: "Yep"
Him: "Then how do all the shootings happen here if the gunstores have such strict laws?"
Me: "Criminals don't go to gunstores, really."
Him: ...Oh, yeah...guess not.

Booshanky
08-25-2008, 12:33 PM
I do it all the time.

tombinghamthegreat
08-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Its also useful to do reduce the amount of FUD being spread.

Foghlai
08-25-2008, 12:42 PM
I've taken plenty of Conservatives shooting who have never fired a gun before, you don't see me crying because of their political leanings. A gun activist is a gun activist, we should really move past the party alleigience bull****. :D

Crazed_SS
08-25-2008, 12:44 PM
I do it all the time.

Same here.. even convinced a number of people at work to get guns when they were originally against it.

alex00
08-25-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm all for taking liberals/antis shooting. I've done it a few times with great results. I've even changed a few hearts and minds just by opening the gunsafe and taking the mystery away from the scary black guns.

Him: "What about a record or license for pistols?"
Me: "They're already registered in this state, and you need a safety card to purchase a pistol here."
Him: "Oh...and they do a background check every time, waiting period?"
Me: "Yep"
Him: "Then how do all the shootings happen here if the gunstores have such strict laws?"
Me: "Criminals don't go to gunstores, really."
Him: ...Oh, yeah...guess not.

This is what kills me. Too many liberals have this easy availability idea. Just because it's easy doesn't make it legal. I wish they would just acknowledge that more gun laws won't change the availability of illegal guns. Unfortunately with the liberal mindset, they won't go after the criminal and punish them for the action. They want to blame the object that caused the criminal to act. It's easy for them to attack the gun and their legal owners (conservatives) and absolve the real criminals as the victims. Try getting a law passed mandating a very stiff sentence for use of a gun in a crime. It won't happen because in the mind of the liberal the person is not evil, the gun is.

KDOFisch
08-25-2008, 1:02 PM
It won't happen because in the mind of the liberal the person is not evil, the gun is.

I know! It's a shame most gunowners have to live with their firearms whispering "C'mon, let's go shoot up a convent!" Bad, bad guns. Even the Hello Kitty ARs are naughty.

movie zombie
08-25-2008, 1:05 PM
I've taken plenty of Conservatives shooting who have never fired a gun before, you don't see me crying because of their political leanings. A gun activist is a gun activist, we should really move past the party alleigience bull****. :D

:cheers2:

movie zombie

jc_stecker
08-25-2008, 1:09 PM
My gf use to be a anti-gun, hippie, feminist; I took her shooting and now she makes me sandwiches! :cheers2:

radioburning
08-25-2008, 1:12 PM
I've taken several so-called "liberals" shooting. I've converted them into pro-2A pro-gunnies too. IMO this is what we (the gun community) need to be doing. Stop alienating and berating the other side, and start converting them.

All the anti-Democrat talk in the gun community is short sighted and is a losing strategy. We don't need an all-Republican government. What we need is an all-pro-gun government, made up of pro-gun Democrats and pro-gun Republicans

Very well put. ++1

nicki
08-25-2008, 1:14 PM
Many Liberals view gun ownership as a sport or hobby and while they will say to us that we are not bad people, it is important for society to control guns for public safety, even if it inconviences some.

Liberals generally support personal rights, they want the government out of people's bedrooms.

When I take a liberal shooting, most of them find that the guns recoil. I ask them if they think they could fire 1200rpm. They answer, of course not.

Well, they just shot down the argument of 1200rpm semi auto machine pistols.

I take apart a pistol and give them the parts. I ask them how would you stop organized crime from setting up shops and manufacturing illegal guns. They answer that it would be impossible.

Well, they just shot down the arguement that we could just ban guns. I follow up with illegal gun shops in Pakistan, Phillipines and other countries.

I wrap up with that if illegally manufactured guns became common in America they would be select/full auto machine pistols with smooth bores, no serial numbers, no microstamping , etc etc.

I say look at what happened with prohibition and the drug war. The black market goes for profit and the biggest profits come from the worst products.

During prohibiton, whiskey and moonshine dominated. In the 1970's, the columbians used to smuggle marijuania, but they figured out there was way more profit smuggling cocaine and heroin.

Drug cartels new wonder drug is Meth.

By this time, there heads are spinning, Tilt, Tilt, Tilt. At this point I have found that I can talk sense into many of them, at least on the gun issue.

Something you must remember with most liberals is you are talking with someone who thinks from their heart, not their head.

If you appeal to their heart, you can open up dialogue.

Once someone sees that their position was stupid, they will grow, if you give them a chance to save face. Rub it in and they will get defensive.

One of the Liberals favorite words is "empowerment".

Liberals focus on the percieved, for the good of society. The road to hell is paved by those with "good intentions".

Honest Liberals will admit that many social programs are not working as intended, and this is where we have to watch what we do.

Our problem is we are percieved as "heartless", and if we are percieved as heartless, we will have a difficult time reaching liberals.

radioburning
08-25-2008, 1:23 PM
I took a friend to Angeles last week for his first time shooting. Just got this email a couple days ago.

"I think I wanna look into getting an SKS for my first rifle..what is the most I should pay for one...and do you think I can find one?

(I decided on this because you mentioned how easy I can learn to take it apart and clean it, plus i liked the feel of it when shooting it. It was pretty dead on)

Vince"

If we took more anti's to the range, we'd probably have a lot less anti's...

yellowfin
08-25-2008, 1:24 PM
Does anyone besides me think that getting suppressors more commonly available here would be helpful in getting more first time shooters to try it by getting rid of the noise?

Adonlude
08-25-2008, 1:31 PM
This is what kills me. Too many liberals have this easy availability idea. Just because it's easy doesn't make it legal. I wish they would just acknowledge that more gun laws won't change the availability of illegal guns.

http://www.iansa.org/regions/safrica/images/vending-machine.jpg

No I pushed E6.. E, not A. Damn... I hate revolvers.

But to answer the forum question, yes, take liberals shooting. My roomate is an Obama voting high school french teacher and I plan to get him up to the range soon.

dilligaffrn
08-25-2008, 1:32 PM
We all should be taking anyone of any stripe out shooting just to demystify it and to de-demonize those that enjoy it.

Ditto!

Pvt. Cowboy
08-25-2008, 1:53 PM
I say look at what happened with prohibition and the drug war. The black market goes for profit and the biggest profits come from the worst products.

I'm amazed by gun banners who fully realize there are 200,000,000+ guns in America inside 51% of the nation's households but believe that this can somehow be fundamentally controlled.

Consider that opium is harvested openly on the backside of the Hindu Kush in the lawless and dangerous lands at the roof of the world, is transported across inhospitable war-torn territory by Asiatic camel caravan, loaded up on blockade running sailboats across the Black Sea into Turkey, secreted aboard seagoing cargo container ships across the Mediterranean to the Western European nations, converted into heroin by hideously cruel gangsters from the Balkan states, packaged up and distributed to North America where it slips right by the Dept. of Homeland Security through Eastern US seaboard ports, is split up and stepped on by US organized crime cartels, then down through a few levels of street level ghetto syndicates, some of which supply pushers to the glitterati where it ends up in swanky Los Angeles discotheques and to NYC where it finds it's way into the Manhattan coroner's report of Keith Ledger's bloodstream. At any point along the way, law enforcement penalties covering this illicit trade can garner long sentences or death as a daily risk of doing business in the criminal underworld of narcotics. That's not even counting the brutality within organized crime's narcotics economy.

Go ask a committed 'progressive' about the so-called War On Drugs and you'll hear about the abuses of law enforcement and how we should call an end to America's prohibitory controls on narcotics. Yet, about the two hundred million guns already in America's hands, they lose the same visibility of rational resolve that they assign to the illicit opiate trade that started a trek 10,000 miles away on the back of a camel before it was found by the LAPD inside the center console of Lindsey Lohan's Mercedes SLK roadster.

Willful and deliberate ignorance at best; plain old irrational and mental retardation on the average --- probably caused by their amoral love of dope. That's my opinion.

InvictusManeo
08-25-2008, 1:56 PM
I too will shoot with anyone (sober) who wants to try it. Took one of my liberal best friends last month. He decided it's not his bag, but is much more comfortable around guns now that he understands them better.

And my usual shooting buddy is a lib.

ldivinag
08-25-2008, 2:17 PM
i ask coworkers all the time if they wanna go to the range and shoot.

so far... out of like 5 people...

zero takers.

MudCamper
08-25-2008, 4:03 PM

Reminds me of this article: http://home.hiwaay.net/~becraft/ragingagain.PDF

This person is probably borderline mentally unstable. He may not be able to fully control his own emotions and therefore projects that mistrust on to all other human beings. He can't trust himself with a gun, so everyone else can't be trusted either.

Vectrexer
08-25-2008, 4:56 PM
I have already given a Liberal an intro to shooting. She still would not have a gun in the house afterward. At least she acknowledged enjoying the experience and learning something.

rayra
08-25-2008, 5:06 PM
I voted sure, but I'll suss out the newb for both twitchiness and the depth of their hoplophobia. If they're going to piss themselves or go into even more spirals of gun fear, I won't take them. LIkewise those who've gone before but don't amend their positions vis a vis the 2nd. If they will not support my rights, OUR rights, they will not have the benefit of shooting my firearms.
I've deliberately and publically excluded one individual from group shooting events in the past because of their expresed wrongheadedness about what I should do with MY firearms.

Bukowski
08-25-2008, 5:42 PM
I'll take anyone with an interest to the range no matter what their political leanings. In fact I had to run out and buy another .22 pistol last weekend because the trips have been so popular.

Satex
08-25-2008, 6:26 PM
I take anyone that is interested shooting. The only time I won't take someone shooting is if I think he is a safety hazard - i.e. irresponsible, can't follow safety instructions, etc...

gimebakmybulits
08-25-2008, 7:10 PM
Sure, everytime i drive myself to the range..........ya got a problem with that???????

EBR Works
08-25-2008, 7:52 PM
We took a female friend to the range. She had never held a weapon in her life and had been an active member of Women Against Gun Violence and a vocal Hillary supporter. We spent some time teaching her the basics and she subsequently went to the range with us several times. Her favorite rifle was my Vector AK. She has since moved to a free state but continues to shoot with a LEO friend. I have a photo of her with that "holding an AR for the first time" look on her face. I cannot post it since her husband doesn't know and is very anti.

BillCA
08-25-2008, 9:45 PM
I had a very liberal lady room mate who asked me to take one of her friends out shooting. Average looking guy and fairly articulate, but both liberal and gay. Fine, doesn't bother me. Did a pre-range review of the rules and standard cautions. At the range, the .22 wasn't a problem though he flinched badly the first few rounds until corrected. I let him fire .38 Special FMJ and he though that was powerful. I demo'd some +P ammo and he had to try it. I demo'd some .357 Mag and he had to try it. So far, so good. Lots of smiles. Didn't like the magnum's recoil. But he is much more comfortable with the idea that one can shoot a gun without turning into a slavering murderer.

I took out another lib (this one was straight) a month later. He did well, said he thought he'd be afraid of shooting but he wasn't. We had a good chat on the way home about him buying a .22 to learn to shoot with.

My last event didn't go so well.

Sometimes Gun owners are their own worst enemy.

I took my roomie's friend, a fairly attractive gay woman, out to the range because she'd made the typical snide "penis envy" comments and how gun owners are all a bunch of jerks. We fired a .22, .38 and 9mm which she did fine with them. Then we went to check out at the front desk.

She was commenting about how she realized she had some thinking to do about the subject - "It's not what I thought it would be. I'm not sure I like guns, but they're not very scary anymore." That's when "Bubba" butted in. He starts off saying guns ARE scary, but not as scary as the people who really use their guns. A moment later he's saying he wouldn't pee on one of "those anti-gun liberal pinko queers if they were on fire." Nor would he lift a finger to help one getting kicked around. :eek:

On the way home, even after I told her you can always find at least one offensive jacka** in a crowd, she coldly said "It's just as I thought, most of you are redneck a****les." And she said nothing else to me the rest of the evening. I wish I could find Bubba to "thank" him. :banghead:

DedEye
08-25-2008, 9:47 PM
I do it all the time. I do it every time I go shooting by myself :p.

I take other liberals shooting all the time.

BillCA
08-25-2008, 9:47 PM
Actually...

Has anyone taking a lib with them when they bought a gun? I think this would be educational for them to see the amount of time and paperwork that needs to be done. Most think you can buy guns like a bottle of beer.

BroncoBob
08-25-2008, 9:50 PM
I didn't take one shooting but I convinced him he really needed a hand gun, a before I knew it he was asking questions about what I thought of several semi auto's. I introduced him to GunGenie at Davidson's .com and he bought at S&W in .40 from them and had it sent to J&R in Livermore. He is now a happy gun owner.

Rust
08-25-2008, 10:09 PM
I try to get people interested in shooting whenever possible. I think its the best possible way to get people to realize how foolish our laws are and what a backwards approach to they are to ending violence.

JOEKILLA
08-25-2008, 10:10 PM
I voted Sure, but I sure wish they'd offer to bring their own ammo. :D

Glock30
08-26-2008, 12:07 AM
I took a client of mine shooting who is a hardcore democrat, he is about to buy some toys now. Although he still won't budge from being a demo.

DrunkSkunk
08-26-2008, 12:18 AM
no.

ghostwong
08-26-2008, 12:35 AM
The general felling is that most people who have never been shooting or gone shooting are misinformed. Once you start teaching, shooting the mind set changes. I have "won" people over to our side just because they were "brainwashed" by the media.

So go out and win people over to the 2A !!

Crazed_SS
08-26-2008, 4:21 AM
Actually...

Has anyone taking a lib with them when they bought a gun? I think this would be educational for them to see the amount of time and paperwork that needs to be done. Most think you can buy guns like a bottle of beer.

Me and my buddy just picked up two P6's a couple weeks ago. My other friend picked up a CPO P229 before he left for Iraq awhile ago. He has since added a XD40 to his collection and my other buddy with the P6 is thinking about a M1A Scout now. Being a Republican and owning a firearm are NOT mutually exclusive.

gazzavc
08-26-2008, 1:08 PM
Sure why not, they make lovely target stands.....

Oh thats just so wrong, bad bad bad..........

packnrat
08-26-2008, 5:40 PM
i have invited a number of people,friends, co workers, etc...but no anti's have taken me up on it....yet.

mister dize
08-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Last month I converted a complete anti to a pro-RKBA democrat.

All it takes is a Mossberg 500, 100 rounds of cheap trap ammo from walmart, and a box of clays :D