PDA

View Full Version : Just a reminder... don't let up, or we could end up like this!

M. Sage
08-24-2008, 10:13 PM
When geeks are outlawed, only outlaws will be geeks:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-387680/Lethal-Star-Trek-blade-seized-knives-amnesty.html

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2006/05/mcgarrySWNS250506_228x262.jpg
(Caption for the picture reads: "Force for evil: inspector Mac McGarry with the blade, believed to be a lethal Star Trek replica.")

This horrifying five-foot weapon has been recovered by police during a knife amnesty.

The three-handled sword with a blade at either end, designed to be swung like a paddle, shocked officers who took custody of it.

Photos: See more knives from the amnesty

They are using it to publicise a five-week amnesty during which they hope around 30,000 weapons will be handed in, mainly from youngsters.

A spokesman for police in Gloucester, where it was surrendered, said: "It is a particularly nasty weapon that can, literally, take someone's head off. We are very glad it is off the streets and we want more weapons handed in."

The blade is believed to be a stainless-steel copy of a Klingon weapon used in the science fiction series Star Trek. "It's an extremely dangerous weapon," said a martial arts expert last night.

Other blades surrendered so far include lock-blade flick knives, exotic swords and a 'swordfish jaw' weapon with razor-sharp teeth.

The Home Office amnesty is in response to a series of attacks in recent weeks which have claimed the lives of volunteer policewoman Nisha Patel-Nasri and 15-year-old schoolboy Kiyan Prince. Safety campaigners and police say it does not go far enough. They are demanding far tougher sentences than the current maximum of two years for carrying a knife.

Under pressure in the Commons yesterday, the Prime Minister said a minimum could be introduced because at present thugs can escape with only a caution.

Mr Blair said: "We are giving urgent consideration not just to banning a whole series of knives but also making sure that there is some minimum sentence."

The widow of murdered headteacher Philip Lawrence said yesterday the amnesty on its own will not work.

Frances Lawrence, whose husband was killed at the gates of his school in north London in 1995, said three different ministers have been in charge of crime in the past three weeks and information from the Home Office is confusing.

Mrs Lawrence said: "There is an anomaly between the legislation for knife crime and gun crime, where gun crime carries much stiffer penalties.

"We all know a knife can kill just as easily as a gun so there is a great anomaly there. A knife amnesty on its own won't be a solution."

:banghead:

Peragro
08-24-2008, 10:23 PM
They can have my phaser when they pry it out of my cold dead hands!

or if there's an accident beaming up or something...:D

---
I believe the really scary knife pictured above is called a bat-lak (said in a phlegmy Klingon voice)

alex00
08-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Mr Blair said: "We are giving urgent consideration not just to banning a whole series of knives but also making sure that there is some minimum sentence."

Next step... Off List Knives.

At least it doesn't just happen here. Scared people all over the world try to ban the "evil" looking stuff.

Saigon1965
08-24-2008, 10:43 PM
I am hiding my Swiss Army knife -

69Mach1
08-24-2008, 11:03 PM
I am hiding my Swiss Army knife -

Where? :p

Sunwolf
08-24-2008, 11:06 PM
I`m glad they got that thing off the "street".I used to see them on the "street" all the time,knocking over garbage cans,loud,uncouth behavior,spoiling for a fight!

EastBayRidge
08-24-2008, 11:20 PM
That's what happens when the open borders crowd gets its way - pretty soon you're swamped with Klingons, Romulans, Vulcans and the like.

alex00
08-24-2008, 11:31 PM
That's what happens when the open borders crowd gets its way - pretty soon you're swamped with Klingons, Romulans, Vulcans and the like.

That's where you are wrong. Most Klingons are hard working people, just trying to feed thier family. It's those lazy Romulans that sit around all day drinking beer, and sending thier kids to your schools and hospitals. Don't lump them all into one group.

ojisan
08-24-2008, 11:56 PM
Alex is right:
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn249/ojisan420/P8240127-2.jpg

SOneThreeCoupe
08-25-2008, 6:35 AM
Two years.

For carrying a knife?!?

Note to self: don't bring my knife to Britain.

The Brits have become cowards, trapped as subjects of a rising tide of neoliberalism. They've allowed their country to fall, and deserve all that its fall entails.

The smart ones got out.

mikehaas
08-25-2008, 7:55 AM
"Safety campaigners". eh? So THAT'S what they call 'em, eh?

I guess we're "Freedom campaigners". So clearly, to protect safety, we should all be taken out and shot.

"A national army of jack-booted thugs, being necessary to maintain a safe state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall be crushed at every opportunity..."

gazzavc
08-25-2008, 7:58 AM
Two years.

For carrying a knife?!?

Note to self: don't bring my knife to Britain.

The Brits have become cowards, trapped as subjects of a rising tide of neoliberalism. They've allowed their country to fall, and deserve all that its fall entails.

The smart ones got out.

Not cowards. Betrayed by a bunch of neo-socialite government lackeys who don't have the stones to make an unpopular decision.

Enoch Powell said in the 50's & 60's that the British open immigration policies would destroy the country, and he was ridiculed for it. Sadly it was a phrophesy that has come true.

And yes you are right in one respect. Those that saw the writing on the wall got out when we did.

But to call all Brit's cowards is rude and unacceptable. Try going into a pub and saying that and see how that turns out........

Pvt. Cowboy
08-25-2008, 8:10 AM
But to call all Brit's cowards is rude and unacceptable. Try going into a pub and saying that and see how that turns out........

I think that's the point, though: It's the alcohol-soaked yob violence being the problem in the UK.

08-25-2008, 8:15 AM

Revolting against government tyranny takes a lot more guts than a drunken brawl in a pub.

;)

tankerman
08-25-2008, 8:23 AM
Courage shouldn't be pub based.

EMT007
08-25-2008, 8:51 AM
I believe the really scary knife pictured above is called a bat-lak (said in a phlegmy Klingon voice)

Thats Bat'leth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapons_of_Star_Trek#Bat.27leth) - come on now - get the nerdy vocabulary straight :D

Fate
08-25-2008, 9:25 AM
Courage shouldn't be pub based.

I dunno. I rather like a pint of John Courage. :D

Glock22Fan
08-25-2008, 9:50 AM
Where can one get a concealment holster for that?

I can't imagine anyone walking the streets with it or taking it down to the pub for a bit of bovver, so why is it a problem?

Are they also going to ban axes? They can take people's heads off too!

M. Sage
08-25-2008, 10:19 AM
"Safety campaigners". eh? So THAT'S what they call 'em, eh?

I guess we're "Freedom campaigners". So clearly, to protect safety, we should all be taken out and shot.

"A national army of jack-booted thugs, being necessary to maintain a safe state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall be crushed at every opportunity..."

That last bit might just be my new signature line. :cool:

SOneThreeCoupe
08-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Not cowards. Betrayed by a bunch of neo-socialite government lackeys who don't have the stones to make an unpopular decision.

Enoch Powell said in the 50's & 60's that the British open immigration policies would destroy the country, and he was ridiculed for it. Sadly it was a phrophesy that has come true.

And yes you are right in one respect. Those that saw the writing on the wall got out when we did.

If the decisions the neo-socialites make are based on the opposite of unpopularity, then they're popular, which means that they're supported by those who elect the neo-socialites.

They allowed the change, hence cowards. If we allow a similar change, I'll gladly call all Americans cowards.

My family on my father's side came from Britain in 1607. I guess we saw the light a little earlier...

jumbopanda
08-25-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm thinking most of these guys haven't ever set foot in a hardware store before...

KDOFisch
08-25-2008, 11:39 AM
We complain about our gun laws here being the toughest in this country, but England would kill for even California's gun laws.

Oh...wait. No pun intended.:)

Glock22Fan
08-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Deleted

Hey, we legal immigrants might feel just the same way as you do about illegal immigration. My guess is that many of us do.

Crazed_SS
08-25-2008, 12:27 PM
If the decisions the neo-socialites make are based on the opposite of unpopularity, then they're popular, which means that they're supported by those who elect the neo-socialites.

They allowed the change, hence cowards. If we allow a similar change, I'll gladly call all Americans cowards.

Would you call Californians cowards? Im assuming you're a Californian.. do you consider yourself a coward? After all, Californians elected the people who continually propose and enact stricter gun control laws in this state.

tiki
08-25-2008, 12:46 PM
My family on my father's side came from Britain in 1607. I guess we saw the light a little earlier...

Since you live in California, I am guessing the light sensing ability has diminished over the generations. ;)

SOneThreeCoupe
08-25-2008, 2:02 PM
Would you call Californians cowards? Im assuming you're a Californian.. do you consider yourself a coward? After all, Californians elected the people who continually propose and enact stricter gun control laws in this state.

Yeah, I do consider myself a coward. I consider myself ineffectual. I even think I voted for Schwarzenegger, that ratbastard. I was voting party line back then.

I don't contact my representatives often enough. I don't contribute enough to CGF or the NRA. I haven't started a pro-gun group at CSUSM, and I don't even know if there already is one. I don't know all the laws, and I don't know all the pending legislation.

There's a lot I have to make progress on before I consider myself to be a worthwhile contributor to the cause.

DedEye
08-25-2008, 3:57 PM
Two year old article ;).

Necro news post :p.

They're even more sensitive to knives today.

adamsreeftank
08-25-2008, 7:19 PM
Wait until there is a bar fight and someone breaks a bottle and commits a massacre with it. After they ban beer, there will be an uprising for sure!:D

Charliegone
08-25-2008, 7:27 PM
Woof: So that's where my betleH went!

N6ATF
08-25-2008, 11:13 PM
Worf called. He wants his bat'leth back.

thy95
08-26-2008, 12:47 AM
When geeks are outlawed, only outlaws will be geeks:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-387680/Lethal-Star-Trek-blade-seized-knives-amnesty.html

:banghead:

that thing of a jiggy look scarier then an assault weapon. jesus christ; imagine what would be like if we have that stupid law here.

personal thought I am more scared of a knife then a gun(look wise).

CowboyShooter
08-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Two year old article ;).

Necro news post :p.

+100 I was thinking "how long has it been since Blair was PM???"

in a related story, Miles Bellinghamton of Brightonswell Township turned in a large, roundish stone that he had been hiding in his back garden for nearly 50 years.
Mr. Bellinghamton carried the 10 kilogram stone into his local police station where he was promptly arrested for brandishing a "lethal stone".
Leftenant Stuart Stutterby reported that the stone, while not actually used in a crime "could have bashed in the head of any number of local citizens" if the madman had not been stopped when he was.
Neighbors reported that Mr. Bellinghamton was "always sort of an odd duck" and "he kept pretty much to himself".

"sarcasm off" :D

M. Sage
08-26-2008, 1:49 PM
Yes, it's an old story, but the geek factor made me post it. And IMO, it's good to remember where we will wind up if we become complacent.

that thing of a jiggy look scarier then an assault weapon. jesus christ; imagine what would be like if we have that stupid law here.

personal thought I am more scared of a knife then a gun(look wise).

Most people are far more intimidated by a blade than a gun. Why do you think they still have bayonet lugs on modern infantry rifles? And to follow that up, when do you suppose was the last time a soldier on a battlefield actually stuck his bayonet (mounted on a rifle) into another soldier?