PDA

View Full Version : Now that Barrack Obama picked Biden as a VP where does this leave McCain?

ScottyBear
08-24-2008, 2:12 PM
Is McCain more likely to pick a more conservative candidate now? Does Romeny, who is more socially conservative, rise on the short list?

HowardW56
08-24-2008, 2:27 PM
Is McCain more likely to pick a more conservative candidate now? Does Romeny, who is more socially conservative, rise on the short list?

With the ability to pick almost anyone he wants and have a better tram than Obama/Biden

civilsnake
08-24-2008, 2:38 PM
I honestly can't see him picking Romney. I really don't think people are ready to get past the LDS issue.

stag1500
08-24-2008, 3:03 PM
Robert Portman of Ohio would be a good choice for McCain.

RomanDad
08-24-2008, 3:06 PM
With the ability to pick almost anyone he wants and have a better tram than Obama/Biden

:iamwithstupid:

It really is one of the weakest tickets in modern history...

yellowfin
08-24-2008, 3:20 PM
McWeasel won't go conservative...and Romney is about as conservative as I am Pakistani. (I'm Scottish, Irish, German, and Choctaw, in case you were wondering.)

ScottyBear
08-24-2008, 4:02 PM
Well I can't see him pick Tom Ridge either due to his public pro-choice stance and ties to George W. At least Romney may be more pro gun since his sons own firearms.

MrTuffPaws
08-24-2008, 4:04 PM
Romney would lose McCain the evangelical vote. There is no way he is going to pick Romney.

M. Sage
08-24-2008, 4:07 PM
Romney would not be good for the gun vote, either. If McCain picks Romney, I'm writing in Kermit the Frog.

CCWFacts
08-24-2008, 4:07 PM
Hey, he could take Hillary as veep! The universe would explode!

JHC
08-24-2008, 4:32 PM
Well I can't see him pick Tom Ridge either due to his public pro-choice stance and ties to George W. At least Romney may be more pro gun since his sons own firearms.
Romney isn't progun, he's pro AWB.

Fate
08-24-2008, 5:29 PM
I like the sound of Condileeza Rice. That would really put the female/black vote to an interesting test.

C.G.
08-24-2008, 5:35 PM
I like the sound of Condileeza Rice. That would really put the female/black vote to an interesting test.

I wouldn't mind seeing that or Colin Powell, although I don't think either would really help much in the polls.

MolonLabe2008
08-24-2008, 6:03 PM
McCain's best bet would be Sarah Palin, the Governor of Alaska

She is (1) pro-life, (2) pro-Second Amendment, (3) conservative, (4) wants to drill in her own state and (5) is Beautiful.

http://www.gov.state.ak.us/

RomanDad
08-24-2008, 6:56 PM

She is (1) pro-life, (2) pro-Second Amendment, (3) conservative, (4) wants to drill in her own state and (5) is Beautiful.

I think if McCain picks a woman, its going to be be VERY tempting to a lot of already ticked off Hilary supporters.

JALLEN
08-24-2008, 8:48 PM
Biden was a very courageous choice. It's not often one gets to see a rat swimming TOWARD a sinking ship.

PonchoTA
08-24-2008, 9:21 PM

:iagree: And (6) is a Life Member of the NRA!!!! She hunts and fishes, etc. (7) Is gorgeous!

Full Clip
08-24-2008, 9:43 PM
The AK gov in 1984 pic:

http://www.errikk.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/miss-wasilla-1984.jpg

Nice.
http://www.errikk.com/2008/06/04/republicans-vp-candidate-sarah-palin/

Publius
08-25-2008, 9:35 AM
One problem with Palin is that her resume is very short. She's only been a governor (of one of the smallest states) for a year and a half, and before that she held positions like:

* Mayor of an Anchorage suburb with 5 or 6 thousand people (at the time)
* Ethics Commissioner of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission
* Member of a hospital board

Picking her for veep would draw the teeth from the experience argument, which is one of the best advantages McCain has over Obama. Romney helps more in the experience area (full term as governor of a bigger state plus significant private-sector experience), but has his own drawbacks as others have pointed out (can't trust him on guns, for one thing). At least Tim Pawlenty has been re-elected as governor of Minnesota. Plus Minnesota is a swing state (Obama has zero chance of winning Alaska, whether Palin's on the ticket or not). So Pawlenty (who helped bring concealed carry to Minnesota) may deserve serious consideration. I can't say I'm very excited about any of McCain's potential choices, though. And I'm horrified by a couple (Ridge, Lieberman).

Adonlude
08-25-2008, 9:45 AM
Talking about female/black VP choices brings up some interesting McCain strategy ideas but lets not forget that McCain is like 900 years old. The VP has a very real chance of becoming president. Choose your VP carefully.

Pvt. Cowboy
08-25-2008, 9:48 AM
:iamwithstupid:

It really is one of the weakest tickets in modern history...

Almost seemingly weak as Mondale/Ferraro, but not quite. Certainly lots and lots more loathsome, most of it being because of Biden.

JALLEN
08-25-2008, 9:54 AM
Another problem for the Governor might be what relationship she has had with Senator Ted Stevens, now under indictment for influence peddling type stuff. It might not be a problem but certainly would be a worry unless it were carefully examined.

Mikeb
08-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Hey, he could take Hillary as veep! The universe would explode!

Might solve the global warming thing... certainly some of the regions traditonaly hot would freeze over...
Mike

Scotty
08-25-2008, 11:13 AM
While Palin is inexperienced, so is Obama. She did knock out the incumbent Republican in Alaska when she ran for govenor. I'm sure she can handle any attacks Biden throws her way. Heck, she's a mother of FIVE, and her last kid born last year has down syndrome. She has a son in the Army too.

Check out this video, about 25 seconds in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCS2rHm2xfk
When is the last time you seen a politician do that? How can you not vote for her.

tiki
08-25-2008, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't say she is hot, but, she's ok. I'd do some drilling in Alaska.

Publius
08-25-2008, 11:44 AM
While Palin is inexperienced, so is Obama.

True, but the inverse of that is "while Obama is inexperienced, so is Palin." Right now McCain has a big advantage over Obama in the experience area. By picking Palin he'd be levelling the playing field in Obama's favor. Right now McCain scores big points with undecided voters by suggesting that Obama is not ready to be president due to his lack of experience. If he picks Palin and tries that, the predictable response will be: "Isn't the vice president supposed to be able to step into the presidency? And if Obama's (in)experience makes him incapable of doing that, what makes Palin capable of doing that?" The message for undecided/independent voters will be "McCain must not think experience is as big of a deal as he lets on, therefore President Obama must not be as much of a scary gamble as he lets on."

bohoki
08-25-2008, 11:58 AM
if he picked lieberman it would make history as the first man to run for vice in both partys

Fate
08-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Lieberman as VP candidate would be the death knell for the GOP. Somewhat like Hillary (albeit at a smaller scale), he's polarizing.

nicki
08-25-2008, 12:55 PM
Palin's approval ratings in Alaska are around 90 percent.

As a sitting governor she has more experience in running the executive branch than everyone else.

She is a mother of five children, one of whom is in the army, one who has down's syndrme. In short, she can relate to mothers.

She is a reformer, and McCain pitches himself as a reformer.

Intially, I did not know much about Palin, but the more I read, the more I like.

Yes, I do have some issues with her, but from a electablity point of view, I see excitement with her.

The rest of the candidates who are being considered have high "Snooze" quotients.

Someone with the nickname "Barracuda" would could easily handle someone like "Joe Biden" in a debate.

In fact, it would make the VP debate probably more interesting to watch than the presidential debates since both candidates would fight head on.

Joe Biden is enough of a hot head that he just might do something really stupid in a debate with her.

If Biden is himself, he will come off as "beating up" a woman in a VP debate with her and that would probably end Obama's presidential run.

The thing is, what does Sarah Palin have to say about running for VP.

I guess we can interpret no comments from her as a "good sign".

Nicki

hill billy
08-25-2008, 12:58 PM
I honestly can't see him picking Romney. I really don't think people are ready to get past the LDS issue.

It doesn't seem to be an issue for Harry Reid.

As for Lieberman, if McCain picked him we'd have a Democrat who is almost a Republican and a Republican who is almost a Democrat.

Glock22Fan
08-25-2008, 1:04 PM
I think McCain could win easily if he picked as his V.P. . . . . . .

Hilary.

383green
08-25-2008, 1:08 PM
I wouldn't pick Hillary as my V.P. unless I was suicidal, but didn't have the stones to off myself.

berto
08-25-2008, 1:08 PM
I saw an analysis of Lieberman's voting record last week and aside from Iraq/War on Terror issues he votes with the dems. His votes matched Chris Dodd's, the other senator from CT, somewhere around 70% of the time. Chris Dodd is a stalwart of the left. Lieberman isn't an option. If McCain is going to go with Lieberman he might as well publicly offer the spot to Hil and see what happens.

The LDS issue might harm Romney but Obama has similar issues. McCain doesn't have a perfect pick in much the same way he isn't the perfect candidate. Palin would be great if she had more experience. Mayor of Podunkville, Alaska and months as a gov. just isn't enough in the same way that Obama's months in the Senate aren't enough never mind the idiocy of his positions.

tgriffin
08-25-2008, 1:09 PM
Welcome to the forum! Very well written and reasoned response. Looking forward to your contributions :).

One problem with Palin is that her resume is very short. She's only been a governor (of one of the smallest states) for a year and a half, and before that she held positions like:

* Mayor of an Anchorage suburb with 5 or 6 thousand people (at the time)
* Ethics Commissioner of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission
* Member of a hospital board

Picking her for veep would draw the teeth from the experience argument, which is one of the best advantages McCain has over Obama. Romney helps more in the experience area (full term as governor of a bigger state plus significant private-sector experience), but has his own drawbacks as others have pointed out (can't trust him on guns, for one thing). At least Tim Pawlenty has been re-elected as governor of Minnesota. Plus Minnesota is a swing state (Obama has zero chance of winning Alaska, whether Palin's on the ticket or not). So Pawlenty (who helped bring concealed carry to Minnesota) may deserve serious consideration. I can't say I'm very excited about any of McCain's potential choices, though. And I'm horrified by a couple (Ridge, Lieberman).

Publius
08-25-2008, 1:30 PM
As a sitting governor she has more experience in running the executive branch than everyone else.

As governor of a small state for a year and a half, and previously mayor of a small town, she has more executive experience than "everyone else"? How about Romney, who served a full term as governor of a much bigger state and also was the CEO of a major management consulting firm? How about Pawlenty, who is in the middle of his second term as governor of a much bigger state, and before that was majority leader in the state legislature? How about Mike Huckabee, who served almost three years as lieutenant governor and then more than two full terms as governor of a much bigger state? All of these individuals have their downsides too, but we can't pretend that lack of experience isn't a real downside for Palin.

She is a mother of five children, one of whom is in the army, one who has down's syndrme. In short, she can relate to mothers.

My own wife's reaction was "if she has a newborn with special needs, why would she even think about running for vice president?" Which may not be entirely fair, but it shows that the motherhood issue can cut both ways.

Someone with the nickname "Barracuda" would could easily handle someone like "Joe Biden" in a debate.

She got the nickname as a high school basketball player. Which perhaps isn't the best predictor of vice presidential debate performance. Athletic history didn't do much for the campaigns of Bill Bradley or Jack Kemp. :)

Publius
08-25-2008, 1:41 PM
Welcome to the forum! Very well written and reasoned response. Looking forward to your contributions :).

Thanks! :) Glad to have found this site.

jamesob
08-25-2008, 1:54 PM
LIEBERMAN

AEC1
08-25-2008, 2:25 PM
Wayne... NRA type....

sierratangofoxtrotunion
08-25-2008, 3:44 PM
Wayne... NRA type....

Wayne who?

Wayne LaPierre?

Hmmmmmm, I think I could vote for him.

Hey, if Ginsberg is qualified for the Supreme Court, then LaPierre is qualified for VP.

M. Sage
08-25-2008, 3:51 PM
LIEBERMAN

Whoops. Make that two VP choices that McCain could make that would drive me to write in one of the Muppets.

The list so far:

Romney (anti-gun)

Lieberman (anti-free speech and "climate change" nutjob)

yellowfin
08-25-2008, 4:25 PM
Wayne... NRA type....Ever notice how much Wayne LaPierre and Stephen Colbert look alike?

Scotty
08-25-2008, 4:39 PM
One thing that separates Palin from the others, she is a lifetime NRA member. The only other person with a lifetime NRA membership is Romney, but he only joined last August right before he tried to run for presidency.

Inexperience VP doesn't make as much of an impact as an inexperienced Pres.

DedEye
08-25-2008, 7:13 PM
Romney would not be good for the gun vote, either. If McCain picks Romney, I'm writing in Kermit the Frog.

I'd be joining you on that one.