Dont Tread on Me
08-24-2008, 12:43 PM
What did this guy do wrong?

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_10292177

RePrintPrint E-mail Font Resize
Man arrested carrying weapons at Pelosi hotel

By P. SOLOMON BANDA Associated Press
Article Launched: 08/24/2008 12:47:18 PM PDT

DENVER—A Wyoming man remained jailed Sunday after trying to check into House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's downtown Denver hotel while carrying two hunting rifles and two pistols.
Pelosi was briefly evacuated from the hotel on Saturday when 29-year-old Joseph Calanchini of Pinedale, Wyo., tried check in to the hotel, authorities said.
Secret Service spokesman Malcolm Wiley said Calanchini faces a charge of unlawful carrying of a weapon after police officers at the Sheraton hotel noticed him carrying a rifle-type case while checking in. Wiley said he didn't know if the weapons were loaded.
Pelosi and other guests were briefly evacuated from the hotel but were never in danger, Pelosi spokesman Brendan Daly said.
"The speaker was never in any danger and she appreciates the quick and professional response of the police," Daly said.
Calanchini remained at Denver City Jail on Sunday on $10,000 bond, said Denver Sheriff's Deputy Danny Steckman. Calanchini did not have a concealed weapons permit, said Lance Clem, spokesman for the Colorado Department of Public Safety.
Authorities said Calanchini was in town on business and had had the weapons worked on, including the mounting of site scopes, to prepare for an upcoming hunting trip.

sorensen440
08-24-2008, 12:45 PM
what the heck did they charge him with???

RobG
08-24-2008, 12:47 PM

This...trying to check into House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's downtown Denver hotel

Total BS...:mad:

Heatseeker
08-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Authorities said Calanchini was in town on business and had had the weapons worked on, including the mounting of site scopes, to prepare for an upcoming hunting trip.

Apparently, getting a rifle tuned up for a hunting trip and then checking into a hotel is some kind of a threat to public safety :censored: !

Unbelievable.

chrisdesoup
08-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Dont go on a hunting trip when Nancy "rubber chicken" pelosi is in town!

deleted by PC police
08-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Wasn't boo trying to convince us that Denver is conservative central the other day??? Doesn't sound very conservative to me. Sounds like a bunch of scared koolaid drinkers.

RaceDay
08-24-2008, 1:04 PM
I knew Pelosi had some money, but owning her own hotel. Wow!!!

So what exactly is "carrying a weapon" and how does that become such a terrible offense?

The true shame is this guy is going to get rung up for carrying a rifle in a case while in Denver. Once the convention starts, there will probably be protesters rioting and damaging public property and I'd be stunned if more than 10% of them get charged with anything.

Fate
08-24-2008, 1:09 PM
I can only imagine the tactical response if a guest at that hotel happened to use the hotel internet to log into AR15.com!

RP1911
08-24-2008, 1:09 PM
faces a charge of unlawful carrying of a weapon

Since when you can't check into a hotel with guns?

Calanchini did not have a concealed weapons permit

So does this have anything to do with the charge above?

hoffmang
08-24-2008, 1:11 PM
Here is a bit more from another report:

Calanchini was legally carrying the long rifles, but did not have licenses for the two handguns, according to police. He was charged with unlawful carrying of weapons, a misdemeanor. Calanchini is being held on $10,000 bond at the Denver City Jail.
From http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=98258&catid=188

Sounds like he had the handguns concealed illegally? He'll probably have to invoke the Federal "traveler" pre-emption. I hope he had them unloaded.

-Gene

Stunt_Pirate
08-24-2008, 1:13 PM
what the heck did they charge him with???

charge of unlawful carrying of a weapon

Calanchini did not have a concealed weapons permit

:shrug: I think they charged him with concealed carry on one of the rifles or handguns. I believe they said he had two of each, which probably means at least one of them wasn't carried openly. Sounds like a BS charge where they were just trying to look good.

ivanimal
08-24-2008, 1:18 PM
Something does not sound right. He must have done more than is being said or we have real problems. Pretty soon Politicians and schools will be no gun zones.

Gray Peterson
08-24-2008, 1:20 PM
Sec. 38-117. Dangerous or deadly weapons--Prohibitions.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person, except a law enforcement officer in the performance of duty, to wear under their clothes, or concealed about their person any dangerous or deadly weapon, including, but not by way of limitation, any pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, air gun, gas operated gun, spring gun, sling shot, blackjack, nunchaku, brass knuckles or artificial knuckles of any substance whatsoever, or any switchblade knife, gravity knife, or any knife having a blade greater than three and one-half (3 1/2) inches in length, or any explosive device, incendiary device or bomb, or other dangerous or deadly weapon.
(b) It shall be unlawful for any person, except a law enforcement officer in the performance of duty, to carry, use or wear any dangerous or deadly weapon, including, but not by way of limitation, any pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, air gun, gas operated gun, spring gun, sling shot, blackjack, nunchaku, brass knuckles or artificial knuckles of any substance whatsoever, or switchblade knife, gravity knife, or any knife having a blade greater than three and one-half (3 1/2) inches in length, or any explosive device, incendiary device or bomb, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon.
(c) It shall be unlawful for any person, except a law enforcement officer in the performance of duty, to display in a threatening manner, or to flourish any dangerous or deadly weapon, including, but not by way of limitation, any pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, air gun, gas operated gun, spring gun, sling shot, blackjack, nunchaku, brass knuckles or artificial knuckles of any substance whatsoever, or any switchblade knife, gravity knife, or any knife having a blade greater than three and one-half (3 1/2) inches in length, or any explosive device, incendiary device or bomb, or other dangerous or deadly weapon.
(d) In addition to any other penalty imposed by lawful authority, every person convicted of any violation of this section may be required to forfeit to the city such dangerous or deadly weapon so concealed or displayed.
(e) Nothing in this section shall be construed to forbid any peace officer as defined by law from carrying, wearing or using such weapons as shall be necessary in the proper discharge of the officer's duties.
(f) It shall not be an offense under 38-117(a) or 38-117(b) if:
(1) The person, at the time of carrying the concealed weapon, holds a valid written permit to carry a concealed weapon issued pursuant to section 18-12-105.1, C.R.S., prior to its repeal, or, if the weapon involved was a handgun, holds a valid permit or a temporary emergency permit to carry a concealed handgun issued pursuant to state law and is otherwise carrying the handgun in conformance with any applicable state or local law; or
(2) The person is carrying the weapon concealed within a private automobile or other private means of conveyance, for hunting or for lawful protection of such person's or another person's person or property, while travelling, and the weapon is not an explosive device, incendiary device, or a bomb. If the weapon is a firearm being transported for hunting, it shall be unloaded while being carried within the private automobile or other private means of conveyance.
(g) Any sentence imposed for violation of subsection (a) shall run consecutively and not concurrently with any sentence for any other offense, if the weapon involved was a pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, air gun, gas operated gun, spring gun, explosive device, or incendiary device or bomb.
(h) Persons convicted of violating and persons pleading guilty or nolo contendere to violation of subsection (a) shall, in addition to any sentence of jail time, pay a fine of at least the following amount when the weapon involved was a pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, air gun, gas operated gun, spring gun,explosive device, or incendiary device or bomb:

CCWFacts
08-24-2008, 1:21 PM
Sounds like he had the handguns concealed illegally? He'll probably have to invoke the Federal "traveler" pre-emption.

The FOPA "safe passage" provision is a very tenuous defense in a case like this. I would not want to have to rely on that for anything more than taking a connecting flight at an airport.

This goes to show: even for hunters who don't care at all about carrying a handgun for self-defense, CCW is important. It's a "get out of strange gun transportation restrictions free" card in many cases. It would have saved this guy a whole lot of trouble.

Gray Peterson
08-24-2008, 1:31 PM
Sec. 38-118. Same--Affirmative defenses.
(a) It shall be an affirmative defense to charges brought under section 38-117(a) or 38-117(b) that the weapon is or was carried by a person in his or her own dwelling, or place of business, or on property owned or under such person's control at the time of the act of carrying such weapon; or
(b) It shall be an affirmative defense to charges brought under section 38-117(b) that the weapon is or was carried by such person:
(1) In defense of home, person or property, when there is a direct and immediate threat thereto;
(2) In aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned;
(3) For the legitimate sporting use of such weapons, including shooting matches or other target shooting, or trap or skeet shooting; all such weapons being so used shall be unloaded when carried or transported to or from such sporting use;
(4) When such person is a collector or licensed dealer displaying or transporting such weapon for display or sale, or a citizen transporting such weapon for purpose of sale or repair to or from a place of sale or repair; all firearms so displayed or transported shall be unloaded at all times;
(5) When such person is a member of the armed forces of a state or of the federal government when engaged in the lawful performance of duty; or
(6) While moving personal property, including such weapon, from an old residence to a new residence.
(c) It shall be an affirmative defense to charges brought under section 38-117(a) or 38-117(b) that a knife is a household knife, and there is reasonable ground for a person having and carrying the knife away from a household.
(Code 1950, § 845.2; Ord. No. 758-91, § 2, 10-21-91; Ord. No. 387-92, § 1, 6-22-92; Ord. No. 469-04, § 3, 7-12-04; Ord. No. 38-07, § 2, 1-22-07)

Telperion
08-24-2008, 2:34 PM
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=98258&catid=188

KUSA - A Wyoming hunter who accidentally caused a security concern at the Grand Hyatt hotel Saturday says he's sorry for the problems he caused and didn't know the Democratic National Convention was in town.

When Joseph Calanchini walked into the Grand Hyatt hotel with 2 rifles and 2 pistols Saturday around 4 p.m., Denver Police evacuated House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) from the hotel until they arrested Calanchini and made sure it was safe for Pelosi to return.

"I didn't even know the DNC was in town. I don't watch the news," said Joseph Calanchini from the Denver City Jail where he's being held on bond. "If I had known, I would have done things differently. It was a simple mistake."

Calanchini, who talked to 9Wants to Know from the Denver City Jail, says he had the weapons because he's getting ready to go on a hunting safari trip in Limpopo Basin, South Africa on August 28. He plans to hunt warthog, impala, baboon and jackals with a friend there.

Dunno what he thinks he's getting by talking to the cops and media...

Gray Peterson
08-24-2008, 3:01 PM
Because he's a hunter, not a gun rights activist who would know better. The guy didn't even have a concealed weapons permit from Wyoming, which would have covered him in Colorado.

The affirmative defenses in Denver municipal 38-118 SHOULD cover him, though. Unfortunately he probably wasn't aware of the fact that Colorado preemption is invalid within the city of Denver on certain subjects.

yellowfin
08-24-2008, 3:12 PM
As if we didn't need more reasons to hate that witch...

tyrist
08-24-2008, 4:13 PM
He has to have been unlawfully carry a handgun concealed. If everything were locked up in a case it would'nt be an issue. Most likely police made contact with him just incase and ended up with the current situation.

LAK Supply
08-24-2008, 5:48 PM
He had permits for the rifles? They were registered to him? No permits for the handguns? What?! There are no such things in Wyoming where the guy lives.

Glock30
08-24-2008, 5:59 PM
One more reason to hate Democrats.

Crazed_SS
08-24-2008, 7:18 PM
Also one more reason to be spun up on the gun laws when you traveling with firearms outside you city, county or state.

SchooBaka
08-24-2008, 7:48 PM

DENVER—A Wyoming man remained jailed Sunday after trying to check into House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's downtown Denver hotel while carrying two hunting rifles and two pistols.
Pelosi was briefly evacuated from the hotel on Saturday when 29-year-old Joseph Calanchini of Pinedale, Wyo., tried check in to the hotel, authorities said.
Secret Service spokesman Malcolm Wiley said Calanchini faces a charge of unlawful carrying of a weapon after police officers at the Sheraton hotel noticed him carrying a rifle-type case while checking in. Wiley said he didn't know if the weapons were loaded.
Pelosi and other guests were briefly evacuated from the hotel but were never in danger, Pelosi spokesman Brendan Daly said.
"The speaker was never in any danger and she appreciates the quick and professional response of the police," Daly said.
Calanchini remained at Denver City Jail on Sunday on $10,000 bond, said Denver Sheriff's Deputy Danny Steckman. Calanchini did not have a concealed weapons permit, said Lance Clem, spokesman for the Colorado Department of Public Safety.

I'm picturing the evacuation in my mind right now......:rolleyes::smilielol5:

Feeling sorry for the guy that walked into the middle of it though.

nobody_special
08-24-2008, 8:28 PM
Also one more reason to be spun up on the gun laws when you traveling with firearms outside you city, county or state.

Actually, it's a good reason for keeping your firearms well out of sight, or in cases which are not readily identifiable as gun cases. Seriously, this sort of thing just encourages people to break the law. Look at the people arrested or harassed for legal open carry in California... same thing.

Why would people comply with the law if it gets them into trouble anyway?

yellowfin
08-24-2008, 8:55 PM
I find it entirely bothersome that anyone would want to protect Pelosi in the first place, let alone to this ludicrous extent.

tunder
08-25-2008, 2:11 AM
He says he had just picked up his rifles from the Sportsman's Warehouse and had them in a locked gun case when he checked in at the Grand Hyatt. The clerk checking him in noticed the rifle case and called security.

But the Grand Hyatt General Manager says he was not a registered guest at the hotel.
"We don't know why he was walking through our hotel," said General Manager Ed Bucholtz.

Sounds like they can't get their story straight.

Police say Calanchini had permits for the rifles, but did not have concealed permits to carry two pistols that were found in his luggage. Calanchini says he forgot they were in there.

Handguns were not apparently being carried on his person but in a suitcase.

tenpercentfirearms
08-25-2008, 4:53 AM
And this is why I was quite weary to be carrying a .50 Beowulf in a rifle case into the Orange County Marriot for the NRA MC meeting in July! I also had a handgun in my waistband and it was loaded! :eek:

bigstick61
08-25-2008, 7:45 AM
What really upsets me is that on seeing rifle cases the clerk's first instinct was to call security. WTF is that all about?

08-25-2008, 8:09 AM
Sounds like they can't get their story straight.

Handguns were not apparently being carried on his person but in a suitcase.

If that's correct, I hope the man sues the hotel for at least $1 million.

tcrpe
08-25-2008, 8:19 AM

Heck, I do that at the airport regularly.

Never a problem.

bwiese
08-25-2008, 9:26 AM
Jeezus, how many times have I checked into the Reno Nugget with long gun cases and a Cabela's (locked) pistol case?

hoffmang
08-25-2008, 6:19 PM
And this is why I was quite weary to be carrying a .50 Beowulf in a rifle case into the Orange County Marriot for the NRA MC meeting in July! I also had a handgun in my waistband and it was loaded! :eek:

But you have that little flimsy piece of paper....

-Gene

Colt
08-25-2008, 6:26 PM
Is he going to find any jackals to hunt in South Africa? Seems to me that they're all in Denver...

jjperl
08-26-2008, 1:25 AM
It's all BS, the government needs to get over itself.

tunder
09-16-2008, 7:56 AM
To finally answer the question in the original post.
NOTHING

http://www.9news.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=99744&catid=346

Quote from the article.

He said he's relieved the case is closed but police haven't returned his guns or the personal belongings they confiscated from his pickup.

"It has not been a good experience," Calanchini told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "I know it was poor timing on my part, but I think it was just an overreaction" by police.

Calanchini, a salesman in the oil field industry, said he's lost some work because of the case. He said he brought the guns to Denver to have them worked on in preparation for a safari to South Africa.

His arrest didn't ruin his plans. He said he was able to get permission from authorities to make the trip, where he rented a rifle and managed to kill a warthog, an impala, a kudu and a wildebeest.

And his latest comment.

My biggest things are that I want my property back, and for the DPD to stop dicking me around. First I never recieved a citation stating what I was arrested for, my truck was impounded and searched, I never received a reciept for my belongings that were removed, a hold was put on my truck creating extreeme hard ship on getting back to Wyoming. Now that the case is closed I can't get anything back due to orders having to be sent to investigating officers that dont return phone calls? There was some items in my truck that were worth a pretty penny, and also the sentimental value on some of it makes the stuff irreplacable. I just want to get this over with and get my property back.

nick
09-16-2008, 1:11 PM

He tried to check in at the same hotel as Her Highness. The nerve!

Mikeb
09-16-2008, 2:16 PM
He tried to check in at the same hotel as Her Whineness The nerve!

fixed it for ya
Mike

gunsmith
09-16-2008, 2:37 PM
Can't he bring a lawsuit?
Why isn't this getting media attention?
Why isn't Sean Hannity all over this? Rush Limbaugh?

tetris
09-16-2008, 3:45 PM
Sounds like he had the handguns concealed illegally? He'll probably have to invoke the Federal "traveler" pre-emption. I hope he had them unloaded.
-Gene

Maybe...Seems that Colorado grants reciprocity to Wyoming CC licenses. I would be surprised if this guy didn't have a Wyoming CC license, but it seems he did not. But a little known fact is that the secret service does have the right to create a "civil liberties free bubble" around the president and other heads of state for security purposes. My guess, frankly, is Pelosi actually had no hand in this.

tunder
09-16-2008, 3:49 PM
Maybe...Seems that Colorado grants reciprocity to Wyoming CC licenses. I would be surprised if this guy didn't have a Wyoming CC license, but it seems he did not.

Shouldn't matter the handguns were inside a suitcase and the rifles were in a hard case.

nick
09-16-2008, 8:38 PM
fixed it for ya
Mike

I think, Her Highness is appropriate. This is the whole idea behind liberalism - the "public servants" have to have some privileges for their selfless labor for the betterment of the nation/humankind/you name it. I see no other way to explain the fact that, for example, these same people try hard both possession and carrying guns, and at the same time get CCW permits. They just see themselves as the new aristocracy, as has been the case in, say, China and the USSR. As will be the case here, if they're not stopped.