PDA

View Full Version : Brazil launches anti-gun appeal

MKE
08-24-2008, 12:23 AM
I thought only California had gun buy-back programs?!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7579349.stm

By Gary Duffy
BBC News, Sao Paulo

The Brazilian government is to launch a campaign as part of an effort to get 300,000 guns off the streets and to cut the country's high murder rate.

Anyone who hands over a firearm will receive between 100 and 300 reais ($60- $185) and will not be investigated if they were illegally holding the weapon.

The campaign will be promoted by advertising on television, radio, newspapers and the internet.

A similar move four years ago helped remove 500,000 guns from the streets.

The Brazilian government is to spend more than $28m on this campaign.

Officials from the justice ministry say they hope to get 300,000 weapons off the streets before the end of the year, and as a result help to cut Brazil's high murder rate.

As well as receiving financial compensation, those who hand over weapons have been assured they will not be subject to a police investigation.

'Culture of peace'

The authorities are also keen to encourage the registration of weapons that are held illegally.

The police in Brazil believe that between 500,000 and a million handguns are unregistered, and from next January this will be punishable by a sentence of up to six years in jail.

Justice Minister Tarso Genro says the government hopes the campaign will get people excited about taking part in what he called "a culture of peace".

In a referendum held in 2005 Brazilians rejected a ban on gun sales and the level of violence in Latin America's largest country remains high, although there are some encouraging signs.

A government study found that gun related killings fell by 12% between 2003 and 2006, but this still involved a number of dead of more than 34,000 people in just one year.

The government will at least be hoping the new campaign will encourage the downward trend.

packnrat
08-24-2008, 1:25 AM
how many of the killings are gang problems?

how many killings are drug problems??

how many killings are due to politics??

how many killings are "cleansings"? (as in i do not like your skin color)

how many killings are caused by muslams?

how many are just murder? (as in wife/husband caught in bed with other).

how many are due to "AD" or a dumb person/young "playing" with a gun?

how many are self inflected?

just posting the number of dead is very misleading.

jumbopanda
08-24-2008, 1:37 AM

Fail.

Casual Observer
08-24-2008, 10:22 AM
I had a Brazilian gf a few years ago and though she was cool with my shooting hobbies (even went with me a few times) she never understood it.

In Brazil, only the police and gangs have guns in the cities. Law abiding citizens can't have them, and often times the police are so corrupt, they are just as bad as the gangs (the local cops. The Federal and Paramilitary police seem to be pretty straight).

If you want to know a little more, go watch City of God. It's an amazing movie and shows you what the slums of Rio are really like.

Casual Observer
08-24-2008, 10:27 AM

What ignorance. Brazil is over 90% Christian (75% Catholic, 15% Protestant). There's only about 30,000 muslims in a country of more than 188 million

jester
08-24-2008, 10:34 AM
I had a Brazilian gf a few years ago and though she was cool with my shooting hobbies (even went with me a few times) she never understood it.

My wife is from Brazil, and is there now in fact
She does not understand my gun hobby either and has no interest in going shooting w/me.

In Brazil, only the police and gangs have guns in the cities.
Not true.I have friends there who have firearms and just keep their presence quiet, much like here, but even more paranoid.
Law abiding citizens can't have them legally,true enough, and often times the police are so corrupt, they are just as bad as the gangs Absolutley true(the local cops. The Federal and Paramilitary police seem to be pretty straight). and they carry FAL's too

If you want to know a little more, go watch City of God. It's an amazing movie and shows you what the slums of Rio are really like.
Yes, decent movie, and there others, whose titles escape me right now....

Springfield45
08-24-2008, 10:44 AM
So you think radical Muslims have not killed anyone out side of the middle east? :shock:

deleted by PC police
08-24-2008, 10:45 AM
A government study found that gun related killings fell by 12% between 2003 and 2006, but this still involved a number of dead of more than 34,000 people in just one year.

so in a population of 191,908,598, 34,000 people die from guns while the US has around the same amount of people die from guns but 100,000,000 more people and liberals say we have most gun deaths out of all civilized nations.

Why am I not supprised that they are lieing about that?

CCWFacts
08-24-2008, 10:58 AM
They have had plenty of gun buybacks here and they mostly result in people turning in heaps of unshootable junk. They do get a "token" modern, functional gun in the mix, but they largely serve as providing a final resting place, and a nice gift certificate, for rusted out wall-hangers.

Satex
08-24-2008, 1:41 PM
Justice Minister Tarso Genro says the government hopes the campaign will get people excited about taking part in what he called "a culture of peace".

If they have a "culture of peace" then why do they have so much violence?

Crazed_SS
08-24-2008, 1:52 PM
If they have a "culture of peace" then why do they have so much violence?

There's a lot of poverty and social strife in Brazil. Im sure people here have seen city of God. The gangs in the Favelas are armed to the teeth. Not just 9mm handguns either.. M16s, AKs, FALs, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkRPCUUXMt0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e43Ci_RgmJc&feature=related

Skip to about 5 mins in those vids..

yellowfin
08-24-2008, 2:33 PM
^ Given that as the situation, do they not see that disarming the lawful populous is the last thing they should do? The hug a thug routine should be rejected by those of a reasonable intelligence level.

alex00
08-24-2008, 4:37 PM
Don't the antis cling to the 11,000-12,000 gun deaths a year? Brazil has a little more than half our population, but 3 times the deaths. Maybe we should encourage the Brady bunch to head down there and really make some changes. Now that Heller is here, they need to find a new Country to save from itself.

We look pretty darn peacful with only 12,000 thugs, drug dealers and thieves killing each other. Maybe we can share our "culture of peace" with the poor Brazilians.