PDA

View Full Version : Santa Ana 911 System Goes Down for 90 Minutes

BillCA
08-23-2008, 11:27 PM
Yet another example of why you should never trust a politician who says "you can always dial 9-1-1".

911 system knocked out in parts of SoCal
Aug 23, 9:15 AM (ET)

SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) - The sheriff's department in southern California's Orange County says the 911 emergency call system for much of the county has been repaired after an outage that shut it down for 90 minutes.

Sheriff's Lt. Ted Boyne says there were no reports of serious problems or unanswered emergency calls during the outage early Saturday.

And they know this, how exactly?

He says callers could still dial two regular business numbers to reach dispatchers.
Oh, that's great. How many people
have this "alternate number" by their phones?

The lieutenant says the outage was caused by changes involved in the introduction of a new 657 area code assigned to the region.

He says the sheriff's department contacted AT&T, which fixed the problem.

tankerman
08-24-2008, 6:18 AM
Anytime you have an emergency in Santa Ana you should contact the Mexican government directly for faster service.

Sutcliffe
08-24-2008, 7:10 AM
Let's throw more of our tax dollars at the problem. That ALWAYS works. In many of the worse neighborhoods in the country you can get a pizza faster than you can get a cop on the phone.

Knauga
08-24-2008, 8:36 AM
Oh, that's great. How many people have this "alternate number" by their phones?

As an aside, I have several "business line" for area police agencies in my cell phone. If I am traveling to another city, I make sure I have that one too. Cell 911 is crap.

Casual Observer
08-24-2008, 9:31 AM
Let's throw more of our tax dollars at the problem. That ALWAYS works. In many of the worse neighborhoods in the country you can get a pizza faster than you can get a cop on the phone.

No joke. My cousin is a dispatcher for LACoFD and works in the same office as the LACoSD dispatchers. She says on a busy friday or saturday night, even with the fire dept dispatchers taking on some of the extra calls, some people have to wait twenty or thirty minutes just to get a hold of a dispatcher. Response times vary from 15 - 30 minutes on top of that, and only if it's an actual emergency.

Crazy ex boyfriend trying to break into your place to rape and/or kill you? Police will be there in about an hour.

Came home from work and found your place ransacked? Sucks to be you. Someone will be out tomorrow to take a report.

tyrist
08-24-2008, 9:52 AM
No joke. My cousin is a dispatcher for LACoFD and works in the same office as the LACoSD dispatchers. She says on a busy friday or saturday night, even with the fire dept dispatchers taking on some of the extra calls, some people have to wait twenty or thirty minutes just to get a hold of a dispatcher. Response times vary from 15 - 30 minutes on top of that, and only if it's an actual emergency.

Crazy ex boyfriend trying to break into your place to rape and/or kill you? Police will be there in about an hour.

Came home from work and found your place ransacked? Sucks to be you. Someone will be out tomorrow to take a report.

Very wrong....code 3 calls are handled quickly. Crimes against property however can take awhile. If people did'nt abuse the system so much it would work better. In some neighborhoods they just tell the police there is a 415 man with a gun to get faster service to all of their petty disputes.

BONECUTTER
08-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Very wrong....code 3 calls are handled quickly.

Very wrong.....I live in Santa Ana....My neighbor a few doors down had a car pull up and empty 8 plus rounds into his house (bangers used to live there).

At least three people I know called 911 (10:55 P.M.)
Same car rolls back down the street lights off (11:20 P.M.) 911 called again.
Same car back again with lights out and driver door open while driving. (11:35 P.M.) ***think he dropped something and was looking for it*** 911 called yet again.

Police did show up.......at 9:30 the following morning. :rolleyes:
And it was one officer.....he talked to the home owner for about 10 minutes. Homeowner was not even home when it happened. Walk to the street and picked up some bullet casing and left.

Santa Ana can be very busy but thats just pathetic. If you are counting on LEO's to save you....might want to re-think that strategy.

And no, thats not the only slow response time I have seen here.

nicki
08-24-2008, 11:11 AM
911 system may even be more down if the ground shook a little.
Things like this shake confidence that the police can protect you.

While most gun owner's focus on the individual right to own guns, this means whole comunities are left helpless.

Considering what has happened after other disasters, wheter natural or man made, we can promote community defense and that is something that we can use to educate and reach the public.

We can use fear and concern for security against our opponents for a change.

Nicki

tyrist
08-24-2008, 4:21 PM
Very wrong.....I live in Santa Ana....My neighbor a few doors down had a car pull up and empty 8 plus rounds into his house (bangers used to live there).

At least three people I know called 911 (10:55 P.M.)
Same car rolls back down the street lights off (11:20 P.M.) 911 called again.
Same car back again with lights out and driver door open while driving. (11:35 P.M.) ***think he dropped something and was looking for it*** 911 called yet again.

Police did show up.......at 9:30 the following morning. :rolleyes:
And it was one officer.....he talked to the home owner for about 10 minutes. Homeowner was not even home when it happened. Walk to the street and picked up some bullet casing and left.

Santa Ana can be very busy but thats just pathetic. If you are counting on LEO's to save you....might want to re-think that strategy.

And no, thats not the only slow response time I have seen here.

That situation is extremely strange. Did you give your contact information?

BONECUTTER
08-24-2008, 5:16 PM
That situation is extremely strange. Did you give your contact information?

Yes, as did my other neighbors who called. My only though is they were looking for the car that did the shooting......I was shocked that I didn't even see a marked car until the following morning.

crazydru
08-24-2008, 5:28 PM
haha bonecutter , rethink that strategy. I agree