View Full Version : Private Transfer of Black Powder Handgun

Tony Sopranno
08-23-2008, 7:39 PM
Anyone at Irvington Arms...

Please, how much do you guys charge to do an owner-to-owner transfer of a Ruger 44 cal. black powder revolver. A friend wants to sell it to me (really a it's a give away) provided I do the transfer through a federally registered dealer.

So how much does it cost? Neither one of us knows the legal requirements and how much the going rate for such a transfer is -- or even if an official transfer is really required for black powder handguns, when it's owner-to-owner.

How much does Irvington Arms want for that kind of transfer?

Matt C
08-23-2008, 7:44 PM
You don't need a dealer for that, black powder guns are not regulated.

Tony Sopranno
08-23-2008, 8:21 PM


Kinda what I thought but I didn't know really for sure. Thanks for the response! Much obliged...

Matt C
08-23-2008, 8:26 PM


Kinda what I thought but I didn't know really for sure. Thanks for the response! Much obliged...


08-24-2008, 10:16 AM
Wait, if it is a BP cartridge handgun, you may need to PPT it. If it is a cap and ball or a muzzle loading handgun, you do not need to do a PPT. Some people forget that there are many BP cartridge guns out there that are legally classified as modern firearms.

08-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Which will say "4473 firearm" on the case.

Tony Sopranno
08-24-2008, 1:28 PM
This is a strictly cap and ball... I'll check but I don't think there is anyway it can be anything else, from the way my friend described it.


08-24-2008, 4:29 PM
If it is a cap and ball, you could theoretically buy one at walmart.

They are not recognized as firearms by the law. You can mail order one, or buy one over the counter.

This is probably the Ruger "Old Army". You most definitely, certainly, absolutely, DO NOT have to transfer that firearm via a dealer.

All your friend has to do is put the gun physically in your hand and walk away. Transfer is done and legal.

I have a couple of black powder firearms, and I've mail-ordered all of them :)

Tony Sopranno
08-24-2008, 7:02 PM
Yeah, No FFL or C&R required, unless it's fitted with a conversion cylinder... right? That's what I've been seeing here and a few other places.

I e-mailed him and sent him some blurbage on a Ruger "Old Army." He confirmed: It's a Ruger Old Army, cap and ball, percussion Revolver, 45 caliber (ball size is something like .445 inch diameter, he says) and a 7 1/2" barrel, blued....

This gun's condition is probably very good to fair at the worst, with typical turn marks on the cylinder. When this guy says something is in fair condition, that means to the rest of us it's likely in very good condition. He is like that with everything he owns.

I have to see it, but he says there's some rust in the barrel below the rifling lands. My guess is this is only light to moderate corrosion, from being put away dirty and/or not cleaned for a few years. But I'll have to see it.

Do you think the rust in the bore can be brushed out well enough if it's not too bad? And... what about conversion cylinders, are they around anymore? ...Ever hear of one having its barrel replaced?

09-02-2008, 7:20 PM
Dont worry about the rust. If its light surface rust take a bronze bore brush then go through the barrel. you have a lot to learn shooting bp is not like shooting smokeless.

1. guys are right no ppt ffl or dros required to purchase.

2. Surface rust. use a bronze bore brush then oil or grease it up. Yes grease BUT this is not smokeless so you have some learning to do.

3. Conversion cylinders are still sold. R&D gun shop sells them you can buy them direct or from midway, dixie gun works, Vti gun parts.

Ok now that we have that covered lets talk bp basics. The size is .454 first of all. Bp and petroleum do not mix. So get that straight. we use lubes that some people just dont get. Bore Butter, Crisco to name a few. Those are the good lubes. if you plan on shooting it in bp. then you need the following, Flask powder measure, caps probably number 11, nipple wrench, anti seize. Graphite. the antisieze is used on the nipples to prevent them from getting stuck. Your also going to need some wads round balls and grease. As for the conversion cylinder. Once you get the gun it will have stamped on it black powder only. There is a reason. These guns are not rated to shoot smokeless powder loads. Even with a conversion. This will allow you to shoot 45colt rounds. but they must be cowboy loads not anything high powered. The gun will not take it. Shooting black powder is awesome. if your used to shooting auto loaders your going to hate it. as loading is slow. IF you can learn to take your time then your going to love it. Any how Calguns does not have a bp forum. You can get a lot of help from myself and the fellas on THR. there is a lot still to discuss pm me or get on thr and we can help you out.