PDA

View Full Version : 'Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale' for old guns

tahoetime
08-23-2008, 1:15 AM
Hello,

I am wondering how the law requiring only handguns certified for sale applies to older guns that are not on the list. If I have a used handgun that is not on the list because the manufacturer is out of business, I can only transfer it to a private party? That means that I cannot sell it to a dealer?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I am getting back into shooting and haven't followed the laws for the last 10 years. Things sure have changed (and not for the good)!

Librarian
08-23-2008, 1:22 AM
Hello,

I am wondering how the law requiring only handguns certified for sale applies to older guns that are not on the list. If I have a used handgun that is not on the list because the manufacturer is out of business, I can only transfer it to a private party? That means that I cannot sell it to a dealer?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I am getting back into shooting and haven't followed the laws for the last 10 years. Things sure have changed (and not for the good)!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=81127

Generally, you have it right, except that a dealer could buy it and either sell it out of state or sell it to LEO. Not that they do that much, and you really wouldn't want them to leave the state.

Really old handguns, 100 years+, are not affected by the Roster.

Welcome back to shooting.

leelaw
08-23-2008, 1:24 AM
You may sell it to a dealer.

You may sell it to another private person, but it must go through a PPT transfer at a dealer.

Basically it restricts you from ordering one online, having it shipped to your dealer, and buying it that way. The seller must be a private person, and he must be present for the PPT.

Mssr. Eleganté
08-23-2008, 1:59 AM

I'll just add that kind of old handguns, 50 years+, are also not affected by the Roster. :)

jmlivingston
08-23-2008, 7:00 AM
I'll just add that kind of old handguns, 50 years+, are also not affected by the Roster. :)

Sure thing, you can't forget the C&R exemption! Also the OP should note that some firearms are C&R even though they aren't 50 years old. Details are here: http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/curios/index.htm.

John

rivviepop
08-23-2008, 8:03 AM
tahoetime, the gentlemen in this thread have also forgotten to tell you about the CG law; you must post for sale any handgun here on the forums before taking it to a dealer. :)

ravenbkp
08-23-2008, 1:25 PM
Is not a "consignment" sale through your local dealer OK ? Have done a couple of these no problem. I mean works the same as private transfer yes?

rivviepop
08-23-2008, 8:38 PM
Is not a "consignment" sale through your local dealer OK ? Have done a couple of these no problem. I mean works the same as private transfer yes?

Yes it's OK. Sort of the same - it becomes taxable at this point, but yes the semantics are the effectively those of a PPT to the buyer and seller.

tahoetime
08-24-2008, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the info, and I'll use CG first

Tahoetime

eltee
08-24-2008, 12:46 AM
Does a PPT have to involve a seller who is a California resident? If an out of state resident stops wants to sell his California resident cousin a pistol while visiting here, and it is a used pistol but not / no longer on the list can a PPT be done at the local gunstore?

On another similar issue. Do most gunstores charge tax if they are only handling the paperwork for a gun being sent and processed through them? If I buy a gun through gunbroker dot com and pay the seller, and the gunstore only charges me for the paperwork processing, do I have to pay tax to the California gunstore?

aplinker
08-24-2008, 12:56 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=81127

Generally, you have it right, except that a dealer could buy it and either sell it out of state or sell it to LEO. Not that they do that much, and you really wouldn't want them to leave the state.

Welcome back to shooting.

Don't forget single-action revolvers. :)

Librarian
08-24-2008, 1:21 AM
Does a PPT have to involve a seller who is a California resident?

Yes.

If an out of state resident stops wants to sell his California resident cousin a pistol while visiting here, and it is a used pistol but not / no longer on the list can a PPT be done at the local gunstore?

A transfer/sale may be done that way, but it's not a PPT, it's an interstate transfer. And if it's not on the list, then it can't work.
See http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=114142 at the bottom.