PDA

View Full Version : help with benelli M4 magtube

badicedog
08-22-2008, 6:57 PM
just picked up my benelli M4. I'm installing a full lenght magtube. I ran into problems when I attempted to remove the original magtube. I tried everything from heating to tube, rubber mallet, and locking pliers. Any suggestions are welcomed and very appreciated.

peepshowal
08-22-2008, 7:11 PM
just picked up my benelli M4. I'm installing a full lenght magtube. I ran into problems when I attempted to remove the original magtube. I tried everything from heating to tube, rubber mallet, and locking pliers. Any suggestions are welcomed and very appreciated.

Once you have it apart, barrel an hand guards off, mag spring and follower out, bolt and carrier out you should be able to heat the end of the mag tube in the receiver and unscrew it. A heat gun may work to loosen/melt the thread locking glue, but some have used the careful application of a propane torch (keep it moving). Use something that will not mar the finish to turn the tube. Remember it may be hot where you are grabbing it so be careful.

randy
08-23-2008, 4:28 AM
Don't heat the mag tube heat the receiver.

galabomber
08-23-2008, 10:08 AM

I spent HOURS with a hair dryer. I heard some guys put the bare reciever/mag tube into the oven for a few minutes.

cseabass
08-23-2008, 10:48 AM
use a heatgun, not a torch.
heat the tube and reciever in a vise.(soft jawwed, or use a towell folded up)
usa a strap wrench on the tube and it shouldnt be too hard.

your just breaking the green lock-tite. theres not a ton of torque on the tube to receiver fit.

ar15barrels
08-23-2008, 2:32 PM
I spent HOURS with a hair dryer.

A hair dryer is not going to get it hot enough.
You need to get it to almost 400 degrees, but not too much hotter.

Toolbox X
08-23-2008, 7:58 PM
I ordered a heat gun from Amazon.com. It took 10 or 15 minutes of heating the receiver with the heat gun before it loosened up.

mike452
08-23-2008, 10:25 PM
You need to use a heat gun. I heated the connection point, but mostly pointing the gun on the mag tube side. I didn't want the heat to change the color of the receiver. Took 15 minutes for some smoke to start and I twisted the tube off wearing an oven mitten.

MrNiceGuy
08-24-2008, 4:19 PM
I wrapped a strip of rubber on the barrel, put the receiver in a vice (with towel to not scratch it), and used a big vice grip on the rubber strip to loosen the barrel.

There were dried lock-tite in the threads, so maybe I should have melted it with a heat gun first....oops.

badicedog
08-25-2008, 2:46 AM
Thanks again for all your input...The torch worked like a charm. It only too 2 mins. top!