PDA

View Full Version : Bowie Knife in State Park?

Salty
08-22-2008, 6:40 PM
Going to be camping in a state park in a few weeks and I was wondering if I can openly carry a Bowie Knife (9" blade, 14" OAL). I've been camping in wilderness areas and such where it's a non issue before, but this is my first time in a state park. I read on the Calif State Parks website that no "weapons" are allowed, I'm not sure where the line is drawn between "weapons" and "tools" as far as knives go.

4313. Weapons and Traps.
No person shall carry, possess, or discharge across, in or into any portion of any unit any weapon, firearm, box and arrow, trap, net, or device capable of injuring, or killing any person or animal (shoestring, pen, brick phone?), or capturing any animal, or damaging any public or private property, except where the Department of Parks and Recreation finds that it is in its best interests. Nothing herein contained shall be construed in derogation of the use of weapons permitted by law or regulation and to be used for hunting in a unit, or portion thereof, open to hunting. Firearms not having a cartridge in any portion of the mechanism, traps, nets, bows and arrows, other unloaded weapons or devices may be possessed within temporary lodging or mechanical mode of conveyance when such implements are rendered temporarily inoperable or are packed, cased, or stored in a manner that will prevent their ready use.

Liberty1
08-22-2008, 6:48 PM
Going to be camping in a state park in a few weeks and I was wondering if I can openly carry a Bowie Knife (9" blade, 14" OAL). I've been camping in wilderness areas and such where it's a non issue before, but this is my first time in a state park. I read on the Calif State Parks website that no "weapons" are allowed, I'm not sure where the line is drawn between "weapons" and "tools" as far as knives go.

4313. Weapons and Traps.
No person shall carry, possess, or discharge across, in or into any portion of any unit any weapon, firearm, box and arrow, trap, net, or device capable of injuring, or killing any person or animal (shoestring, pen, brick phone?), or capturing any animal, or damaging any public or private property, except where the Department of Parks and Recreation finds that it is in its best interests. Nothing herein contained shall be construed in derogation of the use of weapons permitted by law or regulation and to be used for hunting in a unit, or portion thereof, open to hunting. Firearms not having a cartridge in any portion of the mechanism, traps, nets, bows and arrows, other unloaded weapons or devices may be possessed within temporary lodging or mechanical mode of conveyance when such implements are rendered temporarily inoperable or are packed, cased, or stored in a manner that will prevent their ready use.

Just say it's for chopping small downed wood. ;)

I'm sure there is some BLM land some where that is just as good as SP land(and there you can likely open carry a loaded hand gun and your knife too).

Salty
08-22-2008, 7:19 PM
Yeah, I prefer not to camp in a state or natnl park for various reasons. This time though, it's the people I'm going with that dictate the location.

While were on the topic, know of any decent BLM or Natnl Forest campgrounds within a days drive of the bay area that are particularly well suited for target shooting? If so what are the amenities like (that dictates who I bring along, I personally donít mind 0 amenities)?

Riodog
08-22-2008, 8:54 PM
Don't even worry about it. It's basically a non issue so don't even bring it up.

In my camp/hunting/ gear it's standard equiptment to have a "Bowie" (whatever-the-hell-that-is) to an ax to a machete', for firewood, clearing the area, etc.

IMHO some people want a pat on the *** and a certificate of immunity for every thing they do. Get a life. Next thing they are gonna want "National Forest Approved *** wipes", or a permit to pee behind a tree.

Let's all ask our gov't for permission to breath the air. WTF. This "gotta ask permission" bull shi* really piss*s me off. What the he*ll's the matter with you people.

My Daddy once told me " son, if you don't wanna be told NO, don't ask".

Basically, that means that you are giving the power to the opposing side before the question is even asked.

I have no patience for dumb,
Rio

steadyrock
08-22-2008, 9:11 PM
Geez, Riodog, simmer down. You can hardly blame a citizen of this state for constantly looking over their shoulder and worrying that everyday actions are going to get them locked away; afterall, that's the environment that Sacramento wanted and has created. Just look at what happened to BWO, dude did nothing wrong yet he's lucky to be a free man (even after $35k in legal fees). Calling Salty "dumb" (among other things) is hardly called for. You can't even buy spray paint here without showing your ID. Even a "regular" gas can is illegal here (they all have to have CARB-approved vapor seals and crap). The laws in this Godforsaken state are so complicated and overreaching it's understandable that somebody would want to double check on something before carrying on. Tyranny breeds paranoia, afterall. :)

Personally, I don't understand why most people like it here. I am here because of my wife's (large) family and my kids - if it weren't for either of those, I'd be back in a free state faster than Speedy Gonzales.

packnrat
08-22-2008, 10:20 PM
double that "steadyrock"

i would be out of here..if i could get a job as good as the one i have now.
more the pay and bennys then the actual job.
not much family left. losing the ranch. just job holding me here - for the medical.