PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Stocked Pistols?

eltee
08-22-2008, 3:51 PM
I often see Browning Hi-Powers and Mauser Broomhandles for sale with the matching shoulder stock/holster accessory. When I inquired once about the legality of it, I was told that due to the age of the firearms they were considered antiques and it was legal to own.

This conflicts with what I always believed, that a shoulder stock equipped handgun was prohibited, regardless of age.

Any info appreciated. I would love to purchase one of those beautiful Broomhandles with the wood stock/holster for collecting purposes.

ke6guj
08-22-2008, 4:35 PM
Many of those Brownings and Mauser shoulder-stocked pistols (SSP) have been removed from the NFA due to their C&R status, so there is no federal restrictions on their possession, no tax stamp needed.

Now, you have to deal with CA rules on them, and normally they would be prohibited as Short-barreled rifles, SBR, per 12020. But 12020 exempts C&R firearms that are possessed legally per the feds, which those listed C&R SSPs are.

Unfortunately, you then also run into 12276.1, which is the AW regulations, and in there, those SSPs are prohibited. As a rifle, detachable mag with a pistol grip is a NO-NO. There is no C&R exemption for the AW regs.

CSACANNONEER
08-22-2008, 4:42 PM
Many of those Brownings and Mauser shoulder-stocked pistols (SSP) have been removed from the NFA due to their C&R status, so there is no federal restrictions on their possession, no tax stamp needed.

Now, you have to deal with CA rules on them, and normally they would be prohibited as Short-barreled rifles, SBR, per 12020. But 12020 exempts C&R firearms that are possessed legally per the feds, which those listed C&R SSPs are.

Unfortunately, you then also run into 12276.1, which is the AW regulations, and in there, those SSPs are prohibited. As a rifle, detachable mag with a pistol grip is a NO-NO. There is no C&R exemption for the AW regs.

Real good info. I guess the old broomhandles are still OK unless, you find one with a detachable mag. I guess BBs for Mausers, Brownings and 1911s will need to be built sooner or later.

ke6guj
08-22-2008, 4:51 PM
oh yah, I forgot most of the old broomhandles were top stuffers.

You have to be careful with these C&R SSPs, you have to check the C&R list for the exact model listed,. IIRC, there are a few models that you can use a reproduction stock on, but most require the original stock.