PDA

View Full Version : Any gun buyback programs coming up?

CCWFacts
08-20-2008, 5:47 PM
I have to help a friend deal with a large collection of guns, some of which are unsellable. I would love to "get them off the streets" and get some money or gift certs into my pocket. Any gun buybacks coming up in the near future, anywhere around this state?

Saigon1965
08-20-2008, 5:55 PM
Call Don Peralta - He can help you.

AJAX22
08-20-2008, 5:57 PM
Why are they unsellable?

Please do not turn in functioning firearms.\

** edit ** please do not turn in non functioning firearms either,

Just don't play their game.

They will keep playing with you as long as you play with them. They get paid for it.

CCWFacts
08-20-2008, 6:05 PM
Why are they unsellable?

Because, they are things which you could put on GunBroker for $30 and get no bids. They need to be liquidated; there's no choice on this.

Please do not turn in functioning firearms.\
please do not turn in non functioning firearms either,

Just don't play their game.

I agree in principle, but these do need to be liquidated. He dad is being foreclosed on and is moving into assisted living and can't take guns with him and can no longer handle them safely. My friend has no possible way to store them (he doesn't live in the US). They must be disposed of.

They will keep playing with you as long as you play with them. They get paid for it.

Well, they must be liquidated, and they probably won't sell on GunBroker at any price.

Option 1: load them up in the trunk and hand them in to the local police for disposal. Get nothing for them, at least they are gone.

Option 2: Find a gun buyback and get gift certificates for guns which are not otherwise sellable. His dad could really use the money right now.

Option 3: Put them into one big box and find some FFL who will buy them as an "unsorted lot of 30 rifles" for $100. And note that in this case, the FFL will probably resort to options 1 and 2 for most of them anyway.

What else?

sorensen440
08-20-2008, 6:07 PM
are you certain they are worthless?

CCWFacts
08-20-2008, 6:19 PM
are you certain they are worthless?

I've actually done a detailed inventory of them, with photos, recording make and serial numbers, etc, so that everyone in this situation knows that they are being handled properly.

Within this inventory I'm dividing it up into categories. There are no gems in this collection, but there are some keepers.

In the top tier, my friend and his brother will be keeping some of the best that also have sentimental value to them.

The middle tier are things that will sell in the $100 to $400 range (ie, stuff that's worth the hassle of selling). We'll list some on GunBroker at good prices, some we will sell to other friends (I'll buy one or two myself), and some we'll offer to local dealers. Some examples: some Ruger 10/22s in good condition, a few Remington 700s in good condition. These are usable and sellable.

The bottom tier is stuff that's worth under $100 is going to be hard to deal with, and which I would like to dump at a buyback. It might sit on GunBroker for months, and this needs to be liquidated quickly. I can't have something not sell and then have to re-list it. We need to get these disposed of by the end of the month. I can't spend three hours of my time dealing with a piece that will net $20 after sitting on GunBroker for 2 months.

Here are some examples:

Semi-functional Romanian bolt-action 22s. A whole bunch of bad condition Mausers of no collector value. A Topper single shot break-action shotgun (I see one on GB that's not selling at $79). A rusty H&R revolver that's not safe to shoot, and should be destroyed. Life is too short for me to invest my time in these things.

Saigon1965
08-20-2008, 6:23 PM
Why not try to sell them here? There are a lot of tinkerers on the board -

CCWFacts
08-20-2008, 6:26 PM
Why not try to sell them here? There are a lot of tinkerers on the board -

I could also do that. The thing is, we need to unload these fast. We can't even answer questions about the low-value pieces and we can't take returns if they don't work, and we can't make any claims about their usability or condition. I guess we'll make a listing of them and post it in the For Sale section.

Some of the good pieces may be quite desirable here. There are half a dozen Colt Troopers, for example. So it's not all junk; I just want to spend the least time on the stuff with the least value.

liberty08
08-20-2008, 6:27 PM
Only a doofus would consider a gun buy back program. If they are in your possession, then they are not on the streets, right? Sell them to Calgunners or keep them.

Saigon1965
08-20-2008, 6:28 PM
Put them on here - No BS, take it or leave it - Price them right and they'll move.

sorensen440
08-20-2008, 6:29 PM
I would suggest posting the low value items as a group or in small groups
esp if any are old enough for cash and carry (sounds like many are)

CCWFacts
08-20-2008, 6:32 PM
I would suggest posting the low value items as a group or in small groups
esp if any are old enough for cash and carry (sounds like many are)

Ok, that's a good idea. Maybe I'll post them here as "lot of 5 mausers", etc.

Rest assured, there are some decent pieces there, which will go on to future generations of shooters. My friend and his brother will take the best, which will go on to their children. Another friend is getting some of the good ones which he will use to teach his children. The other good ones will be sold to people who will use them. It's just the stuff under $100, I can't afford to invest time in those things. And keeping them is absolutely not an option.

AJAX22
08-20-2008, 6:33 PM
Those Romain .22's are super accurate. and mausers are fun in any condition.

How much for everything?

cash and cary all of those are wonderful project guns. (if the H&R is pre 1899 even it can be a cash and cary gun)

I'll see what I can do about finding a home for them.

tombinghamthegreat
08-20-2008, 6:35 PM
If there is a gun show coming up in your area you could try to sell them there.

CCWFacts
08-20-2008, 6:45 PM
If there is a gun show coming up in your area you could try to sell them there.

We need to get these sold; I'm trying to avoid doing a whole day of work at a gun show so we might be able to net $50. I won't do that.

As for cash and carry: a few of them probably are, but I don't know with certainty which ones, so I'm going to have to use FFLs for all of them. I'm not going to expose my friend to legal risks over a $30 sale.

Pronghorn
08-20-2008, 6:58 PM
I'm looking for wall hangers for my cabin. I could care less if they function, or what condition they are in. Actually, the crappier the better.

IM me with a list, and prices.

TheEngineer
08-20-2008, 7:00 PM
PM sent on the Rem 700s you mentioned. What calibers/ages?

CCWFacts
08-20-2008, 7:01 PM
I'm looking for wall hangers for my cabin. I could care less if they function, or what condition they are in. Actually, the crappier the better.

IM me with a list, and prices.

Ok, I'm working through the price list. And, we did thoroughly document every one of them, including photos, and we'll put that all on a website. Then I'll list the whole thing in the for-sale section, and probably put in a link in this thread. It will take a week or so.

Pronghorn
08-20-2008, 7:03 PM
Ok, I'm working through the price list. And, we did thoroughly document every one of them, including photos, and we'll put that all on a website. Then I'll list the whole thing in the for-sale section, and probably put in a link in this thread. It will take a week or so.

Bulk price on all the crappy stuff?

I thought you wanted an easy, and quick sale?

CCWFacts
08-20-2008, 7:07 PM
Bulk price on all the crappy stuff?

I thought you wanted an easy, and quick sale?

We did inventory everything, with photos, so we might as well use that even if we're selling it in bulk lots.

We also need to arrange with an FFL to handle all this, and pick a time to hopefully get it all done at once.

I searched on Google News and it looks like they have a lot of buyback programs in NY and on the East Coast. Ah, it would be great to get $100 coupons for $25 guns.

sorensen440
08-20-2008, 7:09 PM
I would definitely be interested functional and wall hangers if I can get 5-10 on one dros

08-20-2008, 7:12 PM
Where are you located? I'd be willing to take one of those 10/22's off of your hands if you're near Tulare County.

FEDUPWBS
08-20-2008, 7:14 PM
Ill take em PM sent. Will make great wall hangers;)

AJAX22
08-20-2008, 7:19 PM
Ill take em PM sent. Will make great wall hangers;)

Heh... just the man I was going to talk to ;)

Frijolito1988
08-20-2008, 7:24 PM
i wnat wall hangers!

pm inbound

AJAX22
08-20-2008, 7:27 PM
Leave them for fedup guys, He's an FFL now (the special kind)

He has the licenses to turn the ordinary into the extraordinary.

jacques
08-20-2008, 7:33 PM
A mauser AK. Can't wait. ;) It looks like you have plenty of opportunity within the last several posts to unload these.

Otherwise put them on the for sale board and they will go in minutes.

daskraut
08-20-2008, 7:37 PM
how hard could it be to sell guns here?. List with pics, send to ades..done!.