PDA

View Full Version : Left handed pistol

saltyesq
02-22-2016, 9:02 PM
My buddy is looking for a left handed pistol or
Ambidextrous pistol.

He wants a 9mm.

He told me he is stuck on a Baretta Storm.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

aca72
02-22-2016, 9:10 PM
From the CA roster, HK P2000 has ambidextrous slide and magazine release.

kriller134
02-22-2016, 9:13 PM
I'm a lefty and use a hk usp compact. I did switch the safety lever over to the right side though.

les96
02-22-2016, 9:49 PM
Try CZ 75 SA, SP-01, P-01

sigfan91
02-22-2016, 10:13 PM
Walther P38. Heel mag release and ejects to the left. Can't find a better left handed pistol.

WWDHD?
02-23-2016, 12:43 AM
I'm left-handed and about the only common pistols I don't like are Sigs and anything without ambi-safeties. Most H&K pistols look pretty adaptable but I don't own any. Most DAO pistols I've tried work fine for me.

zombiescanlearn
02-23-2016, 1:35 AM
HK USP9C. Walther PPQ M1. HK VP9 and P2000.

Chameleon Loco
02-23-2016, 1:51 AM
FNP 9?
I'm a lefty and my fnp 9 feels like it was made for me

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

onelonehorseman
02-23-2016, 4:48 AM
Most of the H&K's out there are ambi or can be made ambi.

bwhited
02-23-2016, 8:56 AM
CZ 85 Combat!

yourpal32
02-23-2016, 9:11 AM
A German Luger is ambi. Ejects straight up. Ruger made a nice version as well.

Germ1
02-23-2016, 10:03 AM
Glock 19. He doesn't need a "left handed pistol". I'm left handed

tom_12
02-23-2016, 10:07 AM
smith and wesson m&p if you can find one.

billped
02-23-2016, 10:11 AM
Gen4 Glocks have mag release that's movable to the right side of the gun

deephouse
02-23-2016, 10:47 AM
I'm a lefty ... Any Glock, you can learn to run it with no ambi features.

I pretty much just train myself to work any semi the same way:

1) power stroke to load first round, or after mag reaload

2) use middle finger to drop mag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ke6guj
02-23-2016, 10:49 AM
Glock 19. He doesn't need a "left handed pistol". I'm left handed

pretty much this. I run a Glock 34 as my primary training and comp gun and it works just fine. the only thing I need on a glock needs is the extended slide lock so that I can easily lock back the slide with my left trigger finger as my rakc the slide with your right.
Gen4 Glocks have mag release that's movable to the right side of the gunwhy would I want to do that? all my handguns have the traditional mag release and I either use my left trigger or middle finger to drop the mag. if I had to use my thumb on the right side, I'd have to shift my grip to get to it.

deephouse
02-23-2016, 10:55 AM
^^ plus if you reverse a mag release - that could potentially trip up a right hander that might need to use your gun in an emergency situation... Aka the wifey.

Dimitri A.
02-23-2016, 11:18 AM
92 series Berettas and many CZ's have reversible mag releases as well as ambi de-cockers/safeties.

pointerman
02-23-2016, 11:55 AM
Not enough info to make a really good recommendation. What does your friend want to do with said pistol? Home defense, carry, range plinking, competition? HK has excellent ambi controls for us lefties and many are good for carry. CZ makes some great steel framed pistols if he is looking to do competitions.

duad01
02-23-2016, 3:30 PM
pretty much this. I run a Glock 34 as my primary training and comp gun and it works just fine. the only thing I need on a glock needs is the extended slide lock so that I can easily lock back the slide with my left trigger finger as my rakc the slide with your right.
why would I want to do that? all my handguns have the traditional mag release and I either use my left trigger or middle finger to drop the mag. if I had to use my thumb on the right side, I'd have to shift my grip to get to it.

Here's a reason for a lefty to prefer the Gen 4 Glocks with switchable mag release: If you carry LH, esp appendix, the mag release on the stock, left side is exposed and can (and will eventually) get bumped, releasing the mag. Even tho it's no big deal for a lefty to learn to release the mag using the button in the stock position, and even tho there are other valid reasons for leaving it there, I have switched mine to the right side for the above reason.

thomasgu
02-23-2016, 3:45 PM
Glock 19 Gen 4 is ambidextrous. Good gun.

morrcarr67
02-23-2016, 4:18 PM
Walther P38. Heel mag release and ejects to the left. Can't find a better left handed pistol.

I was gonna say that.

You can also get a Walther P-1, just like the P-38 but with an alloy frame and will cost less money. Both are C&R and are roster exempt.

JCMILLER
02-23-2016, 4:31 PM
The shop I work at has a Springfield EMP 9mm. This pistol has all the good options on it as well as the ambi. Safety.

mike kays
03-22-2016, 5:03 PM
The shop I work at has a Springfield EMP 9mm. This pistol has all the good options on it as well as the ambi. Safety.

Just purchased one today..Im lefty also..I also have a CZ 75B stainless 9mm

ee2
03-22-2016, 5:08 PM
springfield loaded 1911 9 mm ambidextrous on sale at Turner's

fritztkatt
03-22-2016, 8:01 PM
I'm lefty and successfully run a g19, 1911, beretta m9, ar15, and mossberg 590, with no lefty specific mods.

I do use a ghost "bullet forward" slide stop on my glock, and it works well, although barely used. On the 1911, it can be awkward at first using the thumb safety.

I'd recommend your lefty friend gets a pistol he shoots well and actually trains with it. Training can overcome quite a bit of issues.

SJulian10mm
03-22-2016, 8:09 PM
CZ85 is a full ambi 9mm that comes to mind

gbarbo001
03-22-2016, 8:26 PM
Well, if you can find one, Randall made a completely left-handed 1911, but only in .45ACP. I have one, but I'm not selling it.

Here's one: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=548184431

Redeyedrider
03-22-2016, 8:32 PM
It's got to be weird having the casing eject across your line of sight. I imagine it's something you can get used to fairly quick though.... No?:facepalm:

Virginian
03-22-2016, 8:35 PM
HK P7 is about as ambi as it gets....

dwtt
03-22-2016, 8:36 PM
Here's a reason for a lefty to prefer the Gen 4 Glocks with switchable mag release: If you carry LH, esp appendix, the mag release on the stock, left side is exposed and can (and will eventually) get bumped, releasing the mag. Even tho it's no big deal for a lefty to learn to release the mag using the button in the stock position, and even tho there are other valid reasons for leaving it there, I have switched mine to the right side for the above reason.

A good holster would prevent this, no?

Weezard
03-22-2016, 9:14 PM
FN makes pretty much everything ambidextrous. I didn't know about the HKs being ambi. I haven't shot either, but I'm tempted to put one of them on my list.

The CZ75 has an ambi safety and they make models with an ambi slide release, though I don't know if they're on the roster. Of course 1911s sometimes have ambi safeties as well. I gave up any hope of being able to operate a slide release while holding the pistol left handed long ago, and the mag releases I operate with either my middle or index finger because I figure it's better to become accustomed to what I will encounter most often. It's also nice being able to let other people shoot your gun without fumbling with it. Unless it's a bullpup, where you get to watch the righties eat hot brass.

One thing to look out for though. If you don't move the mag release I noticed some brands have much stiffer mag release buttons that are hard to operate with the middle or index finger, at least new. This is because I tend to hit the button at an angle. Sig comes to mind with this problem. I haven't bothered to look into "fixing" this because I really don't shoot my sig much.

MJWEB
03-23-2016, 11:00 AM
I'm left handed. I shoot a SA XD 9 and CZ 75 SP-01 and recommend both as lefty-friendly. My personal take is left handed shooters naturally evolve into ambidextrous shooters. For example, The XD 9 has a dual mag release and grip safety. It's easy to lock the slide back with your right thumb racking it with a claw grip. It's harder to rack a CZ 75 with a claw grip because the slide rail rides inside the frame making the serrations narrower. It's also easy to confuse the thumb safety with the slide lock and miss. So I adapted to the CZ by learning to lock the slide using my right hand, as it was designed. Thus, although I still shoot left handed, I've naturally evolved my ambidextrous skills. That includes using the righty mag release on the CZ with my left trigger or middle finger. I could easily covert it to a lefty (right side) mag release which is a feature on the CZ. But why bother? I'm ambidextrous! :flowers:

sherriffwhalley
03-23-2016, 11:43 AM
I'm a lefty and recently purchased a HK P2000. It shoots amazingly, fits my hand perfectly, and best of all its fully ambi.

If your buddy is in the bay area, I'm happy to have him drop by the range next time I'm there and let him get a real feel for how it shoots and feels.

bwhited
03-23-2016, 12:34 PM
CZ 85 is the ambi version.

Try CZ 75 SA, SP-01, P-01