PDA

View Full Version : Colt Python vs. Colt Trooper

gunprofit
02-17-2016, 3:34 PM
Guys always seem to get confused about the origin or parent of the Colt Python. I like Colt revolvers. Whenever I look at a Trooper that someone has for sale, they always tell me, it’s just like a Python. Just recently I was looking at a Trooper Mk III a guy had for sale. Of course, he says it’s just like the Python. Well, no it’s not. The Trooper Mk III is a “J” frame. The Trooper Mk V is the “V” frame. The only Trooper that was built on the Python “I” frame was the original Trooper, no Mk III or Mk V.
The true parent to the Python was the Colt Officer’s Model built on the “I” frame. They were all hand fitted, just like the Python. The Trooper series of firearms were production guns. They were built on an assembly line by regular employees. The Officer Model and Pythons were built by a special team of craftsman. All hand fitted and polished. Attached is a picture of the last of the Colt Officer’s Model, the Mk III. It was made in 1971. The Python started production in the 1950’s. The main different is that the Officer’s Model was a 38 Special caliber. They Python is a 357 magnum caliber. Of course, the ejector rod housing was carried out to the muzzle. The Officer was intended to be a target gun. They Python, well pretty much a service type of revolver. So, for all you guys selling Troopers, read up some before you start your line of BS, lol.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz74/gunprofit/Officer%20VR.jpg (http://s815.photobucket.com/user/gunprofit/media/Officer%20VR.jpg.html)

RedFord150
02-17-2016, 4:04 PM
I have a Trooper Mk III and it is not for sale. If it was, I would never tell anyone it was just like a Python. I know the difference very well. Regretfully, the Mk III is probably the least desirable of the Troopers. I am just happy to have any Colt revolver. I bought it BNIB for an incredible price.

As always, the buyer should do his own research. Everybody knows that sellers lie.

toadman
02-17-2016, 5:25 PM
When I bought my 6" python years ago, I agonized over the price. The Python was $175. I could get a Trooper for about $25 less. That was a lot money for me back then. In the end I ended up with the Python, you know why I chose the the Python over the Trooper? The name, Python just sounded cool.

highpower
02-17-2016, 5:29 PM
I have an Officers Model, Python and a Trooper (not a MkIII or V). Hands down the smoothest trigger is on the Python. But, the Trooper ain't half bad. The Officers Model is better than the Trooper, but still not quite as nice as the Python.

GM4spd
02-17-2016, 5:30 PM
The "I" frame Officers Model Match was available in 22LR in addition to
38 Spcl. The action is IDENTICAL to the Python. Pete

http://www.fototime.com/31ED03F6507A1A2/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/E7CEE2D0A04A315/large.jpg

toadman
02-17-2016, 5:37 PM
My memory is going on me. Does anyone remember the name of the gun store off Western ave in South Central LA? It was a Army Surplus Store. Bought my Python there about 40 years ago. Think it was Great Western Surplus or something like that.

mycrstuff
02-17-2016, 5:42 PM
It was Western Surplus in Hawthorne on Hawthorne Blvd.

Bullitt01
02-17-2016, 6:00 PM
gunprofit, thanks for that heads up on the differences

toadman
02-17-2016, 6:20 PM

No, I don't think so. Maybe the name I threw out was wrong. I'm pretty sure it was either on Western ave or Vermont ave in a south Central LA. Damn, getting old is a *****.

OUTLAWZ
02-17-2016, 6:35 PM
Guys always seem to get confused about the origin or parent of the Colt Python. I like Colt revolvers. Whenever I look at a Trooper that someone has for sale, they always tell me, it’s just like a Python. Just recently I was looking at a Trooper Mk III a guy had for sale. Of course, he says it’s just like the Python. Well, no it’s not. The Trooper Mk III is a “J” frame. The Trooper Mk V is the “V” frame. The only Trooper that was built on the Python “I” frame was the original Trooper, no Mk III or Mk V.
The true parent to the Python was the Colt Officer’s Model built on the “I” frame. They were all hand fitted, just like the Python. The Trooper series of firearms were production guns. They were built on an assembly line by regular employees. The Officer Model and Pythons were built by a special team of craftsman. All hand fitted and polished. Attached is a picture of the last of the Colt Officer’s Model, the Mk III. It was made in 1971. The Python started production in the 1950’s. The main different is that the Officer’s Model was a 38 Special caliber. They Python is a 357 magnum caliber. Of course, the ejector rod housing was carried out to the muzzle. The Officer was intended to be a target gun. They Python, well pretty much a service type of revolver. So, for all you guys selling Troopers, read up some before you start your line of BS, lol.

Thank you Gunprofit for the Colt revolver lesson. :thumbsup:

OUTLAWZ
02-17-2016, 6:38 PM
When I bought my 6" python years ago, I agonized over the price. The Python was $175. I could get a Trooper for about $25 less. That was a lot money for me back then. In the end I ended up with the Python, you know why I chose the the Python over the Trooper? The name, Python just sounded cool.
$175 for Colt Python :eek: 1960's?

toadman
02-17-2016, 6:50 PM
$175 for Colt Python :eek: 1960's?

Yup. Just wish I could remember the name of the store I bought it at.

chrometip78
02-17-2016, 7:21 PM
Enjoyed shooting my Trooper without worrying about it. Python would probably be safe queen, not my thing.

I wouldn't try to blur the lines between them or care enough to spend the extra money for a Python. But I wouldn't sell a Python if I already had it. Didn't feel bad about selling the Trooper for the price I got.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

gunprofit
02-17-2016, 7:36 PM
NICE 22 !!!
I am lucky enough to have one also. Dang if they arent a great shooter. Years ago I had all 3 calibers. A 22, 32, and 38. I sold the 32 S&W caliber to a guy who gave me stupid money. As it turns out, I was the stupid one. I had the original box, paperwork, etc. Today, they are worth bout 2k. It was a prewar too boot.

The "I" frame Officers Model Match was available in 22LR in addition to
38 Spcl. The action is IDENTICAL to the Python. Pete

http://www.fototime.com/31ED03F6507A1A2/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/E7CEE2D0A04A315/large.jpg

PseudoTsuga
02-17-2016, 7:44 PM
My dad started shooting IPSC with his mkIII at the end of the seventies/early eighties before moving on to the 1911. He said he shoot it so much, he stretched out the top strap and the forcing cone would give light lead splatters on his hands.
Even in that shot-out condition, he was still able to trade it for a NIB wingmaster in the mid eighties.
Still, I wish I had that old trooper.
The only Colt revolver I own is my Grandpa's pristine .22 New Frontier from the early '60s.
Would love to find a nice mkIII just to have one for my own curiosity.

M1NM
02-17-2016, 7:53 PM
I bought my 4" Trooper in 1968. It was built the last year or two before the MKIII. The guy I got it from had done a trigger job and put on a set of Fuzzy Ferant grips. He sold it to buy a 6" Python. My $100 also got me the new stock grips and box from his Python.

saki302
02-17-2016, 7:55 PM
The parent to the Python is actually the Colt 357. That was a more production type gun- they stuck a full underlug barrel on it, polished the internals, and gave it a beautiful gloss finish- the Python was born.

The original Trooper is virtually identical to the python as well- but lacking the fine polish inside and out. The Mk3 went to a coil type mainspring and a completely unique lockwork system.

-Dave

dfletcher
02-17-2016, 9:07 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but one little trick of the Python is the slightly longer hammer spur. Gives a touch more leverage when thumb cocking as compared to the OMM, original "357" and OM Trooper and while having nothing to do with smoothness does seem to require less effort.

My only current Python is an 8" 1980's made "Target" model in 38 Special. I wish I had a $ over the years for every time I heard "why would anyone buy a Python in 38 Special?" but it's a pleasant as heck pistol to shoot.

Chameleon Loco
02-17-2016, 9:15 PM
Pops has a MK III and it is a sweet shooter, I took it shooting a few range trips ago and it is a solid piece with a nice trigger.

AFTII
02-18-2016, 4:31 AM

Actually, the Western Surplus that got looted and never reopened was on Western and Manchester in da hood.

keith1911
02-18-2016, 6:39 AM
I can definitely tell the difference in the triggers between my Trooper MKIII and my Dad's Python. Not to say there is anything wrong with my Trooper. It shoots great and the trigger is smooth. It was my first handgun so I don't plan on parting with it.

toadman
02-18-2016, 6:54 AM
Actually, the Western Surplus that got looted and never reopened was on Western and Manchester in da hood.

That's it. Maybe my memory isn't as bad as I thought. Western Surplus on Western & Manchester. Loved that store.

curtru
02-18-2016, 12:08 PM
I like my officers model target. it so fun and accurate but if I had the opportunity and money I'd buy a python I would shoot it though at least once in a while

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

mycrstuff
02-18-2016, 11:02 PM

Sorry I looked at an old receipt from 1999 and it was on Hawthorne. They probably moved after the riots. The one I bought from stopped selling guns around 2001.