PDA

View Full Version : Panel urges S.F. to help teen immigrant felons

Outlaw Josey Wales
08-19-2008, 5:01 PM
:mad:Panel urges S.F. to help teen immigrant felons
Jaxon Van Derbeken, Chronicle Staff Writer

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A San Francisco city commission has taken a defiant stand against Mayor Gavin Newsom's directive on young immigrant felons by urging officials to permit the offenders to remain in the city and help pay for their housing, job placement services and immigration lawyers.

Newsom announced last month - in an attempt to quell a growing controversy involving San Francisco's sanctuary city policy - that the city would no longer shield young illegal immigrant felony offenders from federal authorities for possible deportation.

Three weeks later, the city's little-known, 15-member Immigrant Rights Commission approved a resolution that ran counter to the mayor's directive, urging the city to let young immigrant offenders stay in the city. The commission advises the Board of Supervisors and mayor about issues involving immigrants.

It called on San Francisco to pay nonprofit community groups to screen juvenile offenders to determine whether they should be entitled to city-paid immigration attorneys who would help them seek asylum as victims of abandonment, trafficking or abuse.

It also urged the city to provide adequate resources for placing the youths in "culturally appropriate" community programs approved by the juvenile court system, a policy that federal prosecutors have said was akin to harboring illegal immigrants.

And it advised the city to develop and expand safe housing, jobs and other opportunities for unaccompanied immigrant youth "because these youth are extremely vulnerable to exploitation by adult criminals."

Decision is up to the mayor
The three-page resolution, which was sent to the mayor and the Board of Supervisors for possible action, did not mention Newsom's new policy.

Newsom spokesman Nathan Ballard said the mayor appreciated the commission's input but "has directed the juvenile probation department in no uncertain terms" to turn over juvenile felons to federal immigration authorities.

"Ultimately, the decisions must be made by the mayor, and that is where the buck stops," Ballard said.

Newsom announced his new policy July 2 after The Chronicle reported that federal officials had warned the city that it was illegally providing offenders free flights home and paying for them to live in group homes outside the city in lieu of deportation and that several had fled from unlocked group homes.

Two days earlier, Newsom said he had no direct authority to order the change but then reversed course as the controversy grew. Since then, according to Newsom's aides, the mayor's office has been doing a "top-to-bottom" review of San Francisco's practices and programs under the sanctuary law.

The Immigrant Rights Commission, made up of 11 members appointed by the Board of Supervisors and four by the mayor, approved the resolution on July 21, by 13 to 1. The dissenting vote was cast by a local developer, Angus McCarthy, who was unavailable for comment. The chairman did not vote.

"This is our position, the position the commission took," said commission Chairman Jamal Dajani. "The mayor can accept it or not, that is his prerogative."

But, Dajani said, changing the policy as Newsom did risks the whole notion of a sanctuary city.

"Are we a sanctuary city, are we not a sanctuary city?" he said. "We shouldn't make knee-jerk reactions or abrupt decisions. We need to have a healthy discussion."

Aaron Peskin, president of the Board of Supervisors, called the resolution "entirely advisory." He would not comment Monday about the content of the resolution, saying he had not seen it.

Suspect spared deportation
The commission took its action the day after The Chronicle reported that Edwin Ramos, 21, suspected in the June 22 slayings of Anthony Bologna and his two sons, Michael and Matthew, had committed two violent offenses when he was 17 but was spared from deportation to his native El Salvador under the city's sanctuary policies. Ramos is in custody in connection with the three slayings.

Ramos was identified by police as a member of a violent street gang, MS-13. He had committed an assault and attempted robbery as a 17-year-old. Each time, he was reunited with family living in the city and spared deportation.

It is unclear how his case would be handled under the commission's resolution, but the commission urged that undocumented immigrant offenders, "where appropriate," be reunited "with their family and in their community in San Francisco."

In its resolution, the commission reasoned that the youthful immigrants to the United States are often left without parents and had suffered hardships, including trauma, abuse, neglect and abandonment, and should be entitled to seek asylum.

The juvenile courts, not the federal government, should dictate how the offenders are handled, the commission said.

Dajani said he did not vote because of his role as the presiding commissioner over the hearing. However, he said he supported the resolution.

"We are saying we should treat juveniles as juveniles regardless of their status," he said. "We had a hearing, we had a roomful of different organizations representing various immigrant groups from people dealing with juvenile law."

He said the Ramos case has drawn a lot of attention.

"What happened in that unfortunate murder case created a lot of political debate, but, in the end, you cannot make a blanket policy to treat all juveniles the same," he said. "We shouldn't be punishing everyone because of one case, where we had a breakdown in the system."

E-mail Jaxon Van Derbeken at jvanderbeken@sfchronicle.com.

This article appeared on page A - 1 of the San Francisco Chronicle

08-19-2008, 5:05 PM
Just lovely! So we can also have them as problem adults too.

Soldier415
08-19-2008, 5:05 PM
"We should help illegal immigrant felons"

FAIL!

08-19-2008, 5:06 PM
Maybe we should just go down to the border and give the illegal immigrants a ride up there too.

eltee
08-19-2008, 5:11 PM
Just lovely! So we can also have them as problem adults too.

After they've had time in SF to polish and hone their criminal skills.

Outlaw Josey Wales
08-19-2008, 5:13 PM
"What happened in that unfortunate murder case created a lot of political debate, but, in the end, you cannot make a blanket policy to treat all juveniles the same," he said. "We shouldn't be punishing everyone because of one case, where we had a breakdown in the system."

If it's good enough for juvenile felons, illegal immigrant ones at that, why not apply this same philosophy to law abiding gun owners? ;)

truthseeker
08-19-2008, 5:21 PM

If it's good enough for juvenile felons, illegal immigrant ones at that, why not apply this same philosophy to law abiding gun owners? ;)

AMEN, brother!!

Adonlude
08-19-2008, 5:52 PM
Disgusting! Why any american would do anything to help illegal alien trash is beyond me. MS-13 is the worst kind of people and is why many good people need guns. To think that I am helping to pay to house and feed illegal alien MS-13 trash angers me greatly.

Ding126
08-19-2008, 9:32 PM
Call it what you want " sanctuary city " Mr. Nuisance. They are ILLEGAL by the way they entered into this country. A violation of federal law.
So any help should stop at that point.( period ) The federal Gov't should stop any funding coming into your city and the state should as well.

Keep your illegals and next time there is a disaster in which you ask for aid or protection..call the President of Mexico.

Just think Gavin Nuisance may be our Governor some day...makes me sick to my stomach.

Why can't we form a CCW city and a AW only city??

tgriffin
08-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Im not surprised, considering this commissions bylaws stipulate at least 8 of the 15 members must be immigrants to this country. Very objective policy advisors :rolleyes:

LAK Supply
08-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Im not surprised, considering this commissions bylaws stipulate at least 8 of the 15 members must be immigrants to this country. Very objective policy advisors :rolleyes:

If my math skills are correct, 8 + 7 = 15, and 8 is one more vote than 7. I wonder why they did that?

RomanDad
08-19-2008, 11:33 PM
I'll volunteer to Help them....

Help them pack their crap up and get the hell out.

Im pretty pragmatic when it comes to illegal aliens.... If I were born in a shanty in Mexico, ID FLEE HERE TOO....

But I dont see any reason why we have to take their criminals.... We grow enough of those on our own.

MS13- Committing the murders Americans wont commit.

ChibiPaw
08-20-2008, 2:49 AM
I say he ought to do it with the stipulation that :

1) he has to figure out how to pay for his pet projects that doesnt come out of california and federal tax payers. Perhaps through local taxes, donations, etc.

2) everyone he feels like nursing must be contained in his own city (they have to live, work, play, breed within sf city limit)

3) violation of above, other cities must bill SF for the actual cost of re-containment.

I would like to count how many days he'll stay in the office if those sanity check rules are in place.

Ding126
08-20-2008, 7:01 AM
Talk radio again mentioned Gavin Nuisance is preparing for the 2010 governors race.

Heaven help us

Biff...
08-20-2008, 7:06 AM
WTF!!! do these people not remember the so call illegal imigrant that just killed a dad and his two sons.

dfletcher
08-20-2008, 3:15 PM
If my math skills are correct, 8 + 7 = 15, and 8 is one more vote than 7. I wonder why they did that?

They did that because they can count, right? Hopefully the 8 immigrants on the board all came here legally. In any other city I'd say that would certainly be the case, but I'd bet that there's at least one person who does not fit the bill. And the logic would of course be who better to address the concerns of an illegal alien than an illegal alien?

BTW, let's apply the same logic & have two of three parole board members be ex - convicts.

Ding126
08-20-2008, 3:25 PM
They did that because they can count, right? Hopefully the 8 immigrants on the board all came here legally. In any other city I'd say that would certainly be the case, but I'd bet that there's at least one person who does not fit the bill. And the logic would of course be who better to address the concerns of an illegal alien than an illegal alien?

BTW, let's apply the same logic & have two of three parole board members be ex - convicts.

Makes sense to me. ;)

yellowfin
08-20-2008, 3:31 PM
WTF!!! do these people not remember the so call illegal imigrant that just killed a dad and his two sons.Oh they remember it alright, and they don't care. In fact, they like it. The more the public is kept helpless and fearful, the more votes they get begging them for security...which they are deliberately legally prohibited from providing for themselves. The powers that be in SF deliberately use the public as clay pigeons for their political gain.

Sam .223
08-20-2008, 4:25 PM
so this guy kills a few people and is an illegal, SF gives him sanctuaisry from be/ ing arrested and prosocuted or deported.... why were those responsible for this not charged with aiding and abedding? i guess some people are above the law.

Full Clip
08-20-2008, 4:52 PM
I spent a number of years living in SF while attending college there in the 1980s, and was later married there to my wife, who I also met there.
I really love so many things that SF offers: great food, history, etc. But I will never spend another dime in that town. I will not support their agenda.
It's bad enough to pay L.A. County taxes.

fairfaxjim
08-20-2008, 6:38 PM
The SF Juvenile probation department is also under fire for placing illegal allien offenders in group homes oustide of the city. San Bernardino County had several escape from a group home that they didn't even know were there - SF hadn't bothered to tell anyone - shielding them from immigration even though they were convicted. They seem to think is ok, even though it violates state law. http://www.pe.com/localnews/yucaipa/stories/PE_News_Local_S_youths04.41fa69f.html

dfletcher
08-20-2008, 8:04 PM
Im not surprised, considering this commissions by laws stipulate at least 8 of the 15 members must be immigrants to this country. Very objective policy advisors :rolleyes:

Isn't making that a requirement a bit of thinly veiled racism on the part of the people who set up the commission? As in, "They're immigrants - they'll all vote the same way"? Now I agree with you, they may be absolutely correct, but I think the nice folks who run SF betray what's really in their hearts when they take that approach.

BillCA
08-20-2008, 8:45 PM
If the state can declare certain types of semi-automatic firearms a "public nusiance"... why can't the state declare illegal aliens a public nusiance too?

DIG
08-21-2008, 1:57 PM
:lurk5::hide:

-

xrMike
08-21-2008, 2:06 PM
MS13- Committing the murders Americans wont commit. :D

I never get tired of that line: "They're (IAs) just ___________ the ___________ that Americans don't want!"

It's useful on so many occasions. :D

Mikeb
08-21-2008, 2:38 PM
If the state can declare certain types of semi-automatic firearms a "public nusiance"... why can't the state declare illegal aliens a public nusiance too?

Why can't they declare the SF City Council a "public nuisance?
I honestly don't understand this "sanctuary city". The CA state constitution say the US Constitution is the law of the land. So why can cities like SF decide to have their own immigration laws?
Mike

Theseus
08-21-2008, 2:50 PM
What says we can't start a CCW city? We can all move to an area we all like and make the laws what we want! We can assign citizens with OLL's. As long as we are in compliance with state and federal laws...we can do about anything we want.

Vectrexer
08-21-2008, 2:59 PM
That's right! Let's fire teachers so we have enough money to retain illegal immigrant kids to stay for free in SF.

While were at it, why don't we also take food away from our young citizens so we can feed young illegal immigrants.

Finally, something Newsom has done right may backfire one him. (probably not) Maybe this can help him see the plight of gun owners as well. (probably not)

nicki
08-21-2008, 3:20 PM
Now people,

We must remember the words of our great Senator Diane Feinstein spoke when she was Mayor and tried to ban handguns that San Francisco is a 'Bastion of Sanity".

Tom Boyer tells me that "San Fran" is definitely way different than the rest of the country.

I was thinking the rest of the planet myself.

Nicki

BillCA
08-22-2008, 12:36 AM
Hmmm... sounds like a RICO investigation is called for.

Investigate the Mayor and Board of Stupidvisors for violating the RICO act (requires involvement in any 2 of certain crimes). The triggering crimes could be:

1. Obstruction of justice - preventing the investigation, prosecution and/or deportation of illegals.

2. Bringing in, aiding or assisting aliens in illegally entering the country (if the action was for financial gain);

There's no question, based on the news reports that SF is "aiding or assisting" illegal aliens in entering the country, since their policies encourage illegals to enter and make their way to S.F. for "sanctuary".